Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018 draft - How will it go?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 2018 draft - How will it go?

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    True story.
    It happens. The NHL is a fraternity and many scouts are trying to make the safest picks as possible.

But in Brady's case, he might be getting sold a little short. I mean Matthew just put up 49 points in 68GP as a 19-20 year old, and Brady is more talented than him.
    I think the only way the team drafting Tkachuk between 3-5 gets questioned is if a kid they pass on becomes the next David Pastrnak or Erik Karlsson.
    If you're picking out of the Top-2 and you can add a 30 goal power forward who oozes character and is blessed with good size, I think your club made a real good pick.

I dont think Brady has 30G upside. Not even close IMO. He's a better setup guy then a goal scorer.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think Brady has 30G upside. Not even close IMO.
    Really? Damn, Axe. I definitely do. You think he tops off at what, 20 goals?

Dobber Sports Deity

Most of the experts I've read (scouting reports), heard don't see him as a goal scorer. The kid only had 8Gs last year in 40 college games. Of course there's always room to grow, but most say he's an excellent playmaker and you don't hear much about his goal scoring promise.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

I've only ever seen Tkachuk play in the WJC and I was not impressed, he seemed to defer the playmaking to middlestat. I steer clear of Brady until his hockey balls drop.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    I've only ever seen Tkachuk play in the WJC and I was not impressed, he seemed to defer the playmaking to middlestat. I steer clear of Brady until his hockey balls drop.
    Very strange take. He was excellent at the wjc.

If Brady played CHL we would not even be having an argument ...College is a tough environment to produce in as a 17 and 18 year old.

Brady is a high floor high upside player.

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Thats a really interesting way to look at it. i think the league gives way way too much credit to "NHL bloodlines". Granted Im not a scout AND Im pretty well behind in terms of prospect analysis this year but thats my big fear on a guy like Tkachuk. You see it happen constantly...
    To be honest I don?t agree...lots of players with famous fathers get drafted in later rounds or not at all. I don?t think his name has anything to do with his rankings to be honest

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    Very strange take. He was excellent at the wjc.

If Brady played CHL we would not even be having an argument ...College is a tough environment to produce in as a 17 and 18 year old.

Brady is a high floor high upside player.
    This is where I am. I thought he was outstanding in the WJC as well.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    JP, am I crazy to be such a huge fan of Isac Lundestrom? I would be thrilled if the Flyers selected him at 19. I think he has the potential to be one of those players that we look back on in 3 years and say, "I can't believe these 12 teams passed on him..."

As for BT - I think he is a "safe" pick in the sense that the team drafting him will likely never get a bust. He won't be an elite offensive star, but I think he'll be a safe 30/35/65 guy or maybe 30/40/70, while bringing leadership, attitude and consistency. I think he is a better version of Jake DeBrusk, and he was built for the playoffs, to your point.

Funny, when I was at the WJ's I walked to the rink with Keith Tkachuk and his wife. I asked him about Brady and he said that he never thought he would be a hockey player, but talent wise, he is the most talented in the family. Also said he is a very funny and likable kid and has been a hit on every team he's played on. I'm sure character and personality is going to play a part during the interview process.
    I don't see Tkachuk getting quite that high offensively. Maybe 25/40/65 as his ceiling depending on who he plays with. I think he'll likely be in that 55-65 point range. But yes, he brings a lot of other good elements to the team which gives him additional value.

I'm not a big fan of Lundestrom. I see him becoming a 3rd-liner with maybe 2nd line upside if everything breaks perfectly. I tweeted about him recently:
    Even strength ice time and production in the #SHL this season:
    Isac Lundestr?m: 11 pts in 580.3 min
    David Gustafsson: 12 pts in 492 min

Also good to remember that Lundestr?m is a year older ('99 vs '00) and played his 2nd season in the SHL whereas it was Gustafsson's 1st season.

Obviously we can't just disregard the fact that Lundestr?m was trusted to play bigger minutes and also got PP time (where he scored 4 points) but still - he's never really impressed me, and his numbers don't look very promising either.

Lundestr?m played mostly on the 2nd line which means you're expected to put up points when you play there. Gustafsson mostly played on the 4th line which means you're not really expected to score from there and you don't have much talent around you.

The big difference between the two centers is faceoffs - Lundestr?m won just 40% whereas Gustafsson won 50%. Again, Lundestr?m being the older player playing his 2nd season in the league. No excuses for being so bad when a younger guy can just waltz in and dominate him like that.

I've felt for a long time that Lundestr?m is overrated and Gustafsson is underrated. I'm still taking Lundestr?m first and think he's slightly more talented offensively but I don't see a big difference in their ceilings.

The Great One

Mitch Brown on the athletic says BT is possibly a 50 point guy, maybe a bit more...

Dobber Sports Padawan

I guess I was expecting more of a shooter goal scorer for someone being mentioned in the top 3 early in the season. I'd rather have wahlstrom over tkachuk from a fantasy perspective. I get he has sand paper and an edge every team needs, I just didn't get wowed like I did with others.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Jedi

If Ott doesn't take Tkachuk at #4 I can see him dropping. Wahlstrom/Bouchard/Boqvist are the three other possible Ott targets I see, but at 5, 6, 7, I can see a run on Dmen & someone preferring Wahlstrom over Tkachuk... he could be sitting there at #9 for NYR.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Mitch Brown on the athletic says BT is possibly a 50 point guy, maybe a bit more...
    Who? In my eyes he has Blake wheeler level upside . Of course, it took a while for Blake to become really good though

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    If Ott doesn't take Tkachuk at #4 I can see him dropping. Wahlstrom/Bouchard/Boqvist are the three other possible Ott targets I see, but at 5, 6, 7, I can see a run on Dmen & someone preferring Wahlstrom over Tkachuk... he could be sitting there at #9 for NYR.
    From what i have read and heard Ottawa loves Dobson and likes Hughes as well. I really don?t know who they pick but I am confident it won?t be Boqvist. That?s just my read based on his style of play, body and concussion issues. I don?t see Ottawa considering him at 4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    From what i have read and heard Ottawa loves Dobson and likes Hughes as well. I really don?t know who they pick but I am confident it won?t be Boqvist. That?s just my read based on his style of play, body and concussion issues. I don?t see Ottawa considering him at 4
    if they decide on Dobson, then I would think they would trade down.. Van's looking to move up and Dobson should be there at 7.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    if they decide on Dobson, then I would think they would trade down.. Van's looking to move up and Dobson should be there at 7.
    I think that?s very debatable. Dobson is very good and will be in the memorial cup for ultimate exposure . I don?t feel confident saying he would be there at 7. I don?t fee confident predicting the top three even to be honest