Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Kuemper a legitimate threat to Quick?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Is Kuemper a legitimate threat to Quick?

The 27 year old has stolen 2 starts from a healthy Quick already, and both have been shutouts....
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Is Kuemper a legitimate threat to Quick?

The hot hand rides, but I dont think there's any long term fear here. I know some will compare this to the STL situation but I do not. Quick is a Stanley Cup winning goalie where as Jake Allen is still considered a young goalie in this league learning his craft as a starting NHL goalie.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I was wrong with regards to Allen but I don't think I am wrong about Quick.. I bet the Kings love getting wins while resting Quick.. Kuemper is a pretty solid backup goalie!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I was wrong with regards to Allen but I don't think I am wrong about Quick.. I bet the Kings love getting wins while resting Quick.. Kuemper is a pretty solid backup goalie!!
    The back-up goalie is always an interesting situation. Fans love when the underdog gets a chance to compete. The team loves playing in front of the back-up because he's the guy that works longer with them in practice. There's that adrenaline rush the back-up gets with the start. Usually, the back-up is started against a softer opponent which helps pad their stats. More often than not, however, we slowly come to realize with the more they get exposed, why exactly they are back-up goalies.

Case in point last season, I heard that the Kings did not have much faith in Budaj so they played a tighter defensive game which lead to their scoring decreasing (those of us who played hockey in front of a shaky goalie can attest that sometimes it's not about limiting the shots...it's don't let the other team shoot at all...one season we had a goalie that had us down 3-0 within the first five minutes on 2 shots and a pass).

The difference with Kuemper is that he has challenged for starting gigs before on some not so great teams. The Kings do not look tight when they play in front of him. With that being said, however, I do not see this as a 1-1A situation with Kuemper stealing the starting gig, let alone half of the starts left but I do agree that the Kings ride the hot hand. This is Quick's team. If you have Quick you need Kuemper as a handcuff. Otherwise, Kuemper makes a nice third goalie if you are rostering the likes of Lundqvist and Schneider.

Dobber Sports Stud

On a somewhat related note- what is Quick's shelf life? Do you see him regressing rapidly around age 35 (he's 32 right now) like Ryan Miller or do you see LA continue to roll with him even in his later years like FLA is doing with luongo?
    I am a die-hard Avalanche fan!
    PARTIAL DYNASTY (Keep 20 from year to year)
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G every night

G ,A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    Wins, Saves, SV%, GAA, SO

C-Eichel, Marner (RW), Matthews
    L- Skinner, Pacioretty, Vanek, Perlini, Palat
    R- Hoffman, Byron, Tuch, Kerfoot, Sprong
    D- Ekblad, Gostisbehere, Rielly, Borowiecki, Montour, Girard, Orpik, Schenn
    G-Fleury, Rask, Brossoit, Saros, Kuemper, Appleby

Dobber Sports Monster

Quick owner. It is a little bit of concern because of what we've seen in the past with guys like Bernier. But keep in mind Kuemper was up against a horrid Coyotes team who for the most part didn't offer any sort of challenge last night. Nonetheless he has been on a bit of a run preceding that. I do worry about them giving Kuemper a bunch more starts down the road now that they know he can do it for stretches. He isn't a legitimate threat for the starting gig, but he could make things miserable for Quick owners relying on him for a high volume of starts.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ShawneePanthers View Post
    On a somewhat related note- what is Quick's shelf life? Do you see him regressing rapidly around age 35 (he's 32 right now) like Ryan Miller or do you see LA continue to roll with him even in his later years like FLA is doing with luongo?
    It's hard to say...these guys are elite level athletes but the Kings have had a fairly long run of going deep into seasons...those extra games...the extra intensity...it eventually takes a toll. It's like a car with city miles on it. And the case with injuries...it's like breaking going to the bathroom after the first beer...once you break that seal....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I suspect Quick doesn't play to a an old age for a goalie. I think Kuemper is a reasonable threat to turn this into a tandem down the road, and that he's a solid insurance policy for them right now. Quick has shown he breaks down, keeping him reted and healthier is good.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I don't think so. As a Wild fan, Kuemper isn't anything special-Minnesota elt him walk for a reason. Playing behind LA"s defence makes him look alot better than what he really is. That being said, he's having a solid season but nothing to worry about in terms of Quick. Quick is just slumping right now, so they're riding Kuemper until Quick gets out of his funk. Just like earlier on in the year, when Quick is on, he is ON and he will get 90% of the starts.
    20-team dynasty cats League, Daily sets
    25 keepers, 2 rookies
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPP,GWG, FOW, Hits, BLKS, SOG, Goalie starts,GAA,SV%,SVS,W,

F: O'Brien, Newhook, Wennberg, Tavares, Kuraly, Bjorkstrand, Skinner, Zucker, Bertuzzi, Coleman, Kurashev, N Robertson

D: Dunn, Moser, Matheson, Mintyukov

G: Binnington, Fleury, Forsberg, Dostal, Rittich
    NA: Sogaard, Denisenko, Annunen

Dobber Sports Monster

Appears they're going back with Kuemper again tonight after two straight shutouts.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by pmorrow View Post
    Appears they're going back with Kuemper again tonight after two straight shutouts.
    Gotta ride the hot hand while it's hot I suppose. I think where we see Quick really take the crease back is in the last stretch leading up to the playoffs if they're still in a tight race, maybe 10-15 games from now. That and the playoffs themselves. I absolutely can't see LA starting Kuemper over Quick (assuming he's healthy) in the playoffs.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As a long time Wild fan, I've gotta say no. Maybe Kuemper has another gear and something changed in his game but in the past, most spot starts with the Wild I was nervous even watching and he seemed to regularly be shaken up by a bad goal. He is probably thriving on confidence during this hot run but nothing makes me think this is long term. I picked him up as a 3rd goalie so I'm enjoying this while it lasts. I'd pick him up on waivers, but save the trade offers unless you're really desperate or know something I don't.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by pull the goalie View Post
    As a long time Wild fan, I've gotta say no. Maybe Kuemper has another gear and something changed in his game but in the past, most spot starts with the Wild I was nervous even watching and he seemed to regularly be shaken up by a bad goal. He is probably thriving on confidence during this hot run but nothing makes me think this is long term. I picked him up as a 3rd goalie so I'm enjoying this while it lasts. I'd pick him up on waivers, but save the trade offers unless you're really desperate or know something I don't.
    The Kings system makes less than average goalies look good...Budaj last year and Ben Scrivens....BEN SCRIVENS.... from a few years ago. As I noted before, they, like most teams, tighten up with the back up in there...they certainly did for Budaj and it affected their offense. They seem to have a little more confidence in Kuemper and he's certainly playing very aggressively.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    The Kings system makes less than average goalies look good...Budaj last year and Ben Scrivens....BEN SCRIVENS.... from a few years ago. As I noted before, they, like most teams, tighten up with the back up in there...they certainly did for Budaj and it affected their offense. They seem to have a little more confidence in Kuemper and he's certainly playing very aggressively.
    Kings goaltending coach Bill Ranford has done wonders working with the goaltenders on their depth chart. I imagine that's one of the reasons Kuemper went there in the first place.
    14-GM, H2H, cap hit=$101,667,000
    START = 12F, 6D, 2G, 23 man active roster, 60 man prospect roster
    SCORING=G(2.5),SG(2),A(2),PP(1),SH(2),+/-(0.4),PIM(0.3),HITS(0.2),SHOT BLOCKS(0.4),ShG(2),GOALIES = W(3), SO(5), ShLoss(1), SV(.1),GA(-0.4)

F: Sharp, Malkin, Sobotka, C. Giroux, Maroon, Marchand, Eberle, Seguin, Niederreiter, Jenner, Yakupov, Eichel, Matthews

D: Seabrook, Letang, Cole, Subban, Carlson, Gudas, Klefbom, Parayko

G: Schneider, Dubnyk

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by captaincrunch32 View Post
    Definitely helps as well knowing that even if Keumper doesn't shine, Quick is healthy and ready to go. Not like last season with Budaj where they had no idea when he'd be getting reinforcements.
    9 Team Dynasty Salary Cap (AAV)
    G 1.5, A 1, PPP 1, SHP 1, +/- 0.5, MmP 0.25/Min, HIT 0.1, GWG 3, BLK 0.25 Gordie Howe Hattricks 10 (Skaters)
    W, L, GA, SHO, SV (Goal)
    Start 12 F 6 D 2 G
    11 Player Bench (Max 2 Bench G)
    15 Player Farm Team

F: Kucherov, Teravainen, Galchenyuk, Johansen, W Nylander, W Karlsson, Gourde, Vrana, Athanasiou, Vatrano, Buchnevich, Haula, Stastny, Puljujarvi, Eberle, Little, Kovalchuk, Kravtsov, Terry, Bertuzzi, Bratt, Kunin, Hintz, Heinen, Kahun, Sikura, Chytil, Iafallo
    D: E Karlsson, Montour, Gardiner, Girard, Faulk, Martinez, Fox, Cernak, Weegar, Pionk, Pilut, Bayreuther
    G: Gibson, Bishop, Raanta, Allen, Talbot, Blackwood, Delia, Husso