Thread: Draft Pick Trading 101

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Draft Pick Trading 101

I am in the league in the signature. We have a 3 round draft. All 2018 and previous undrafted prospects and FA available. Also the like of Kovalchuk. I own the following picks:

Not used to draft pick trading. I need some advice on trading down with the 3rd pick, and/or trading up with the later round picks. I wouldn't be adverse to trading the picks for next year 2019 picks either. Any rule of thumb or suggestions?
    20tm multicat salary keeper
    19 Active/6 Reserve/ 33 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3SKT/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/A/PlusMinus/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/Hit/Blk/FOW/FO%
    Goalies: W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Draft Pick Trading 101

Dependent on rosters sizes.

This is general, but quality over quantity. Also dependent on tiers of players available.

For example, I think there is a drop off after the top 3 picks. So I would need more to move out of the top 3. But I would be more willing to move back but stay in the same tier if I was offered an incentive.

The Great One

In a vacuum it's hard to give advice, but I will start with this: what is your objective for the draft and your team moving forward. Personally I'd only move the third pick if I wanted someone other that Dahlin-Svech-Zadina.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
    We have a 3 round draft. All 2018 and previous undrafted prospects and FA available. Also the like of Kovalchuk. I own the following picks:

Not used to draft pick trading. I need some advice on trading down with the 3rd pick, and/or trading up with the later round picks. I wouldn't be adverse to trading the picks for next year 2019 picks either. Any rule of thumb or suggestions?
    The bolded is key. Are there undrafted prospects from prior drafts that are very highly regarded now, or any surprise free agents? Your 1st round might have a little extra depth to it. Tier your draftable players, then figure out how far you think it's safe to move back.

Usually moving a pick now for a pick in a later year should result in an upgrade of the round the pick is in, unless you're trading picks at the end of a round. You seem to be, since you have 20,40, and 60. Did you win last year?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Padawan

In a 20 team league that third pick is gold. So I really wouldn’t deal it, I would try to pair pick 20 and 40 up into the 12-15 range or 40 and 41 up to 30.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think all the advice given is spot on. There are many factors that play into the draft. League size, format, and rosters that change values very quickly. There are many draft strategies and I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I mostly employ the quantity over quality after the top 5ish (depending on how much talent is in the pool). I'd much rather pick at 25 and 26 than say 13. Of course this is all dependent on other factors but I think it hedges your bet against drafting a bust. Last year I traded out of the 10 spot for 28 and 29. I missed out on a lot of good talent but netted greenway and wood. Obviously missed on wood but Greenway was a solid pick. I use this example because I did myself a diservice by trading down but still landed a bluechip prospect. Had I used my Wood pick on valimaki or Hepo who went not long after it would have been a great trade down instead it only ended up ok at best. I was also able to get guys like Dahlen (39) and Sikura (89) later in the draft. I missed on quite a few picks last year but I had enough picks that even if I hit one and missed one I'd be in good shape. Again many strategies and I just give the example where my strategy boarderline failed but the hedged bet did come into play. If I had ops pick in my format I wouldn't be moving unless I got a Kings ransom. I might try to move up from 20 with a late rounder but probably not. I'd use all my picks and trust my tiering will provide. Tier your players and that will play a lot into your decisions to move up or down. Hope my rambling helps.
    5.5X Champs
    20 Team Dynasty (Unique Cap) H2H 23 Man roster - 20 Minor
    G,A,SOG,PIM,HIT,BLK,FO%,2G+A,D-pts,STG,GWG+SHP+ShootoutG
    W,SV%,GAA,SO Start 4 C,LW,RW/6D/2G Min 3 start/ 3Bench/6IR

C-Hischier,W.Nylander,
    Benn
    LW-Guentzel,B.Tkachuk
    ,Marchand,Gaudreau
    RW-A.Svechnikov,M.Tkachuk,Duclair,Mantha
    D-Provorov,McAvoy,Gudas,Doughty,Dunn,McDonagh
    G-Hart,Vanecek
    B-
    Brannstrom,Crouse
    Prospects
    Rossi,Berggren,Sillinger,Giv.Smith,Perreault,Kaspe r,Gauthier,Miroshnichenko,R.Johnson
    Perunovich,Salo,Capobianco,Mackey,Woo,Benning,A.Jo hansson,Thrun
    Skinner,Martin,Ingram,Fedotov
    ​Entry Draft 5 Rds [<60gp] '23 2,3,3,5
    Cap 77.82M/82.5M

Twitter @MatsonHockey

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for all the advice. Going to set up a tier and reevaluate. From the feedback going to keep the 3rd overall unless someone comes beating my door down.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Going to set up a tier and reevaluate. From the feedback going to keep the 3rd overall unless someone comes beating my door down.
    You could also post in your league that you would consider moving the 3rd overall pick to gauge what kind of interest/offers you get. You don't have to move the pick unless you see a deal that improves your team based on the direction you are going.

Personally I'd rather move a high pick like the 3rd for a couple of highly thought of prospects very close to being in the NHL instead of two or more picks.