Thread: SC pool. 2nd Strategy help. 1st one did NOT work.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default SC pool. 2nd Strategy help. 1st one did NOT work.

Hi guys. My 1st strategy did not work out too well. Original team had 3 Bruins, 4 each of Bolts, Caps and Pens.
    Currently in last place and realistically have no shot at anything other than maybe 5th and get my entry fee $ back
    if things go really well.

I now have 4 Bruins alive and 8 MOVES left. Need 1 set of team goalies and 1 D-man. So many options I can't decide.
    Even with the 8 MOVES I'll be 3 short of a full 15 man roster going into the 2nd round. Hoping you guys can help me out here.

Scoring is G-1, A-1, Goalie win 2 + 1 for a shutout.

Here goes.

Option 1: Add 2-3 more Bruins (including goalies). And finish off Roster with all Sharks (including Karlsson).
    This would be a "go big or go home" move. Might have done Stars or Blues instead of Sharks but they
    play tonight, can't get them on my Roster b4 their game so would lose 5 or 6 Man Games. Did not realize
    that 2nd round was starting tonight but had to wait until I saw what the Caps did last night b4 I could do
    anything anyway so it was too late for Blues/Stars. Course I could really take a flyer and go all Bruins/Aves...
    ...with B's goalies and Krug or Barrie on D. Could lose all players after round 2 with this strategy regardless
    of which West team I might go with.

Option 2...Go all Bruins and CBJ. But lose 1/2 my team going into 3rd round. But could lose my entire team with Option 1.

Option 3...Take a smattering of Bruins, CBJ, Sharks and Aves. Lose 1/2 of these for round 3. But like Option 2 would still
    have 6 or so alive for 3rd round.

Other options...would involve some Isles and or Herks.

Ya, I'm at a loss here with what to do but got to do something by 8 pm CST. So if you have any thoughts would really like to hear 'em.

Will REP whoever I can. Disregard POOL RULES if they show up in Sig., they don't apply to this.

Thanks guys...good luck to you with your pools rest of way. Sorry for long post.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: SC pool. 2nd Strategy help. 1st one did NOT work.

I think at this point with everyone that you lost in round 1... and if 5th is the highest you can get, you have to stack your team with players you think will be playing in the finals...

I would go with your Bruins/Sharks option cause that who I think will be playing in the finals.

Dobber Sports Icon

I'd go all Bruins/Sharks

EDIT - Sorry about my original post, thought it was Wednesday today. Had no idea it was actually Thursday already
    Last edited by 4T2; April 25, 2019 at 6:15 PM. Reason: Thought it was Wednesday haha
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Titan

I bet people already have Bruins/Sharks, or will stack them with their remaining moves. With your position right now, it has to be an all or nothing play, and that's Colorado.
    I would add my eight Avalanche right now, sit back and enjoy the carnage. If it doesn't work, well you were losing anyways. If the Avs make the finals, you have a chance to come too five. No other way around it.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

I think you have to go total hail mary as you're way behind. Another thing to keep in mind is that you need to focus picking players that are not on every other team. I suspect a fair number of Sharks were picked, so if you add them and they go deep you are not making up any ground. It's less likely Blues/Avs/Islanders/Hurricanes players were picked.

Can you check what other teams have? If so and I'm right about top teams having Sharks you need to avoid them and hope they get eliminated. Pick your 2 favourites from the underdogs above and load up and said players and pray, that's your only shot.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks very much guys. Appreciate you putting some thought into this.
    Forgot to mention, this is a NON-draft pool so many teams have the same players. 10 teams in pool.

I can see current rosters and what players are still alive.
    Surprisingly, only 2 teams have Sharks - both with 3 (1 is the leader who I'm not gonna catch).
    But 6 teams have Avalanche, a couple of them with 3.
    But, a ton of trades will be made today up to 8pm and I won't know until they are posted, after the deadline, which teams are adding what players to their Rosters.
    So won't know until then if a lot of guys add Sharks, Aves or not. Pretty much going in blind as to what others are doing.
    Got to run. Will check back later.

And any other thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks Guys.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Thanks very much guys. Appreciate you putting some thought into this.
    Forgot to mention, this is a NON-draft pool so many teams have the same players. 10 teams in pool.

I can see current rosters and what players are still alive.
    Surprisingly, only 2 teams have Sharks - both with 3 (1 is the leader who I'm not gonna catch).
    But 6 teams have Avalanche, a couple of them with 3.
    But, a ton of trades will be made today up to 8pm and I won't know until they are posted, after the deadline, which teams are adding what players to their Rosters.
    So won't know until then if a lot of guys add Sharks, Aves or not. Pretty much going in blind as to what others are doing.
    Got to run. Will check back later.

And any other thoughts will be much appreciated. Thanks Guys.
    If a whole bunch of people pick Avs, pick the team that is the least owned (and as a tiebreaker, who will get loaded up on least after they move on to round 3.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    If a whole bunch of people pick Avs, pick the team that is the least owned (and as a tiebreaker, who will get loaded up on least after they move on to round 3.
    Thanks EB. A couple of teams MOVES have been posted now. One took several Isles and the other Blues. I just spent some time tallying up trades left for all the teams. Surprisingly, just a couple will have any left after the 2nd round (a lot of us got burned by Pens, Caps, Bolts, Flames, VGK etc so have to top up their rosters now or risk getting left in the dust. I'm out of MOVES after I do these 8 and will have only 12 players from my 15 man roster going forward. I wasn't doing too bad MOVES wise but just lost 5 Caps and 3 VGK (ouch).

Unless I change my mind (possible) in the next 1/2 hour or so I'm going with Bruins (I already have Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta and Krejci. Now I can 8 more players. Probably Rask and maybe another B. Mac and Rant from Aves, and fill out with Sharks, Karlsson will be my d-man. The Aves kind of hedge my Sharks.

Neither of the teams whose trades I got a look at took any Sharks.

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Here's my Roster for the Rest of the PlayOffs. Go Bruins and Sharks and 10 points each out of my Aves b4 Sharks knock them out.

Bruins: Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta, Krejci, Rask.

Aves: Mac and Rantanen

Sharks: Couture, Hertl, Karlsson, Meier and LaBanc
    Bolded guys are my new ADDS

Thanks guys.

Dobber Sports Icon

I go with Meier and kane. I really like Labanc too but he just barely misses the cut