Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trade for Larkin?

The Great One

Default Re: Trade for Larkin?

Quote Originally Posted by CrackedAces View Post
    Looks like the deal won't happen and it's prob not a bad thing so I can keep some great high upside prospects.
    He pulled the original offer the other night and came back with below, way too much IMO:

Larkin

for

Vrana
    Fox
    Borgstrom
    Bemstrom
    2020 2nd round pick (will be a pick between 17-25)
    That's a lot of assets to give up for one player, but Larkin is the only proven commodity.

I've made similar deals to this in other leagues, and the problem is that if you trade too many assets in any given deal, it sometimes makes it harder to get other deals done. Sometimes you want to keep some of these prospects to sweeten another deal. Seems like your farm will be severely depleted after this move (he is asking for your three best prospects and a serviceable Vrana). If you can't replenish the farm in the draft, I can sort of understand why you wouldn't make the deal.

That said, without knowing what other plans you have for this team, nor how easy it is to replenish your farm, on the surface I'd probably do the deal. You just have more work to do afterwards (i.e., trade a center for a winger, and replenish the farm).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    That's a lot of assets to give up for one player, but Larkin is the only proven commodity.

I've made similar deals to this in other leagues, and the problem is that if you trade too many assets in any given deal, it sometimes makes it harder to get other deals done. Sometimes you want to keep some of these prospects to sweeten another deal. Seems like your farm will be severely depleted after this move (he is asking for your three best prospects and a serviceable Vrana). If you can't replenish the farm in the draft, I can sort of understand why you wouldn't make the deal.

That said, without knowing what other plans you have for this team, nor how easy it is to replenish your farm, on the surface I'd probably do the deal. You just have more work to do afterwards (i.e., trade a center for a winger, and replenish the farm).
    @SeaDawg - While I agree with you about 'trading too many assets makes other deals later harder' in this case the OP is looking at getting by far the best single piece in the deal. Look at the CATS in this league (G/A/PIM/Hits/Blks/PPP/STP/FOW/SOG), Larkin hits most of them including FOW, SOG and PIM. Larkin is a multi-cat stud, is only 22, and has the alpha-dog role in Detroit locked up. Players like Larkin shouldn't be traded for ''a bunch of maybe's'' and I think that the OP is needlessly dithering. The OP's team is built to win now and this move only helps that cause.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Padawan

I agree. Make the deal and get Larkin.

I had Larkin last season and traded him in a deal to get Tavares, now I want to try and make another trade to get him back lol. It would cost me more than a bunch of unproven prospects too.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks everyone for your input. Done deal!!!
    It just took me a few days to come to terms with moving some top prospects.
    16 Team H2H: G/A/PIM/Hits/Blks/PPP/STP/FOW/SOG/ SV%/GAA/SO/SA

Centers: Stamkos, Tavares, Schmaltz, Backstrom, Draisaitl, Larkin
    Left Wing: Pacioretty, Forsberg, Drouin, Kovy
    Right Wing: Kucherov, Radulov, Hertl, Bertuzzi, Shore
    Defence: Burns, Byfuglien, Carlson, Weber, Pulock, E. Johnson
    Goalie: Price, Murray

Farm:
    Borgstrom, Veleno, Fox, Saarela, Sikura, Bemstrom, Hirose, Priskie, Veronneau, Steen, Khovonov

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CrackedAces View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. Done deal!!!
    It just took me a few days to come to terms with moving some top prospects.
    That is the cost of doing business when you want to acquire a top player.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    @SeaDawg - While I agree with you about 'trading too many assets makes other deals later harder' in this case the OP is looking at getting by far the best single piece in the deal. Look at the CATS in this league (G/A/PIM/Hits/Blks/PPP/STP/FOW/SOG), Larkin hits most of them including FOW, SOG and PIM. Larkin is a multi-cat stud, is only 22, and has the alpha-dog role in Detroit locked up. Players like Larkin shouldn't be traded for ''a bunch of maybe's'' and I think that the OP is needlessly dithering. The OP's team is built to win now and this move only helps that cause.
    I was only saying that I understood the OP's hesitation, but I would probably do the deal.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98