Thread: Is Barzal a buy low target?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is Barzal a buy low target?

Hello all!

League in signature. Points only, keep 12, 11 GMs, weekly lineup.

I’m looking to renew my old core that couldn’t get me the win in the past years. Moved Forsberg for a 1st round pick, then I’d like to move Reinhart and Teravainen (and getting tired of Konecny and Philly). I’ve been trying few moves, but my guys don’t have a nice perceived value. With the likes of Puljujarvi, Jarvis and Newhook, I think I’m going in the right direction and can afford to trade Reinhart and Co.

Anyway, I know the Barzal owner is open for a trade. So first of, how do you see Barzal in terms of production. The defence first system in NYI tends to kill offensive talent, but someone has to produce… right? I see Barzal as a superior player than all of Konecny, Teravainen and Reinhart.

I’m thinking of offering two of the three mentioned and a low pick for Barzal, a garbage player and a high pick. Thoughts? Out of Teravainen, Reinhart and Konecny, who are the 2 you would trade?
    Thx!
    League 1:
    2022-23 Champ!
    Keep 12, Points only, Salary CAP 96M$, 11 teams. 10 F, 4 D, 1 G + 5 bench
    Weekly lineup (H2H), 3 FA/year
    F: MacKinnon, Nylander, Larkin, B. Tkachuk, Eriksson EK, S. Jarvis, Newhook, RNH, Nichuskin, Keller, Raddysh, Tippett, Berggren
    D: Chabot,
    Byram, Durzi, Sandin
    G: Hill, Schmid

Default Re: Is Barzal a buy low target?

Cap league.?. TT's contract is very nice... If you want Barzal just offer teravainen and go from there. That trade just happened in my league with one the teams giving one round pick upgrade (4th to 3rd)

Dobber Sports Genius

I would be moving Mantha before Reinhart and Marchessault before TT.

Barzal is an interesting case, great player in a tight system…see Nashville or STL, lots of good players but no one seems to lead the pack in points…

I think we could see another 80-85 points season from Barzal but it would be if he gets elsewhere at the end of his current contract…
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

Dobber Sports Wizard

i was never a huge fan of Barzal, sure he is good player but i feel he is as inconsistent NHL star as you will find. If you can buy him low cool go for it..i just dont think TT is buying Barzal low...it even value trade and i would not do it myself.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Ace

So, I love Barzal as a player. But as long as the Isles play these system tactics, I am not sure if he can really reach his true potential in terms of production. He at times has to sacrifice his own offense for the team system. Also, Isles really need to retool with some offensive talent to surround him. Wahlstrom might eventually be a perfect partner for Barzal, but he isn't there yet and still needs to develop.

But if you are looking towards the future, for a young center who has a relatively high floor and potential for an even higher ceiling, than Barzal is a good bet. I don't think his 85 point rookie season was a fluke. I just think the changes to the team system have effected him and held him back a little. Kind of like I think has happened to Forsberg in Nashville. All though, he really has dropped off this season too.

But Barzal I think is a good gamble.

Please help with mine, thanks: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...01#post2169301
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)

I just want to clarify that I agree with everyone here regarding him in NYI... or at least under their current defensive system. I do think if he had the right linemates and a more offensive minded team/coach he'd be that PPG guy again. But I think it's a bit of a gamble banking on that to happen anytime soon :P and I'm not sure I'd actually trade TT straight up for him either in a cap league especially. I just meant I wouldn't be offering MORE than TT if I wanted Barzal :P (since you mentioned you were considering offering two players)

Weekly H2H, Points Only, Keeper League - 10 team - Keep 14 (+ 2 rookies, under 25 GP) - dress 12 F, 6 D, 2 G (Wins: 2 pts, OTL: 1 pt, SO: 1 pt) - 30 Roster max w/ 1 IR spot which opens up one roster spot.

FW: Aho, Eichel, Draisatl, Rantanen, Marchand, Matthews, Kyrou, J. Robertson, Bergeron, Duchene, Boldy, Toffoli, Kempe, Krejci, Schmaltz

D: Rielly, Heiskenen, Dobson, Drysdale, Byram, Nurse, Weegar, Matheson, Clarke

G: Andersen, Georgiev, Francouz, Kotchetkov, Wallstedt

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah, especially if Trotz gets fired which looks more and more like a possibility.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Padawan

He won’t play under Trotz forever so long term he should have a big breakout coming eventually. When that happens is anybody's guess.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Superstar

I agree that there are likely better days ahead for Barzal, he is a good offensive forward playing in a system that most definitely does not play to his strengths. He is definitely worth pursuing and is a buy low candidate. The problem here is I personally think you are offering too much, you are not buying low with the packages you are considering IMO. I also agree that I'd try and move Marchessault and Mantha vice Reinhart and TT. I'd put an offer on the table but don't start with your best offer, throw something out and see what happens. Again, we are talking buy low and Barzal fits the bill. There is a reason the Barzal owner is considering moving him.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

In the meantime, I decided to trade Teravainen and Reinhart for a 1st round (very valuable in our league) and Boeser. I now have 3 1st round for next year.

I’m in a discussion to get Barzal for a 1st round. So I’d still have a solid draft and ending up trading TT and Reinhart for Barzal and Boeser.

Thx for all the replies, really helpful! I’ll play the NYI card to lower the price.
    League 1:
    2022-23 Champ!
    Keep 12, Points only, Salary CAP 96M$, 11 teams. 10 F, 4 D, 1 G + 5 bench
    Weekly lineup (H2H), 3 FA/year
    F: MacKinnon, Nylander, Larkin, B. Tkachuk, Eriksson EK, S. Jarvis, Newhook, RNH, Nichuskin, Keller, Raddysh, Tippett, Berggren
    D: Chabot,
    Byram, Durzi, Sandin
    G: Hill, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Yeah, especially if Trotz gets fired which looks more and more like a possibility.
    you think if lou parts ways with trotz he's going to hire someone that isnt a defensive minded coach ?