Thread: Top 3 goalies from this year's draft, excluding Knight

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Top 3 goalies from this year's draft, excluding Knight

Hey guys. Rookie draft is tomorrow for us and I'm looking at grabbing a goalie with my last pick (60th overall.) Besides Knight, who'd be your top 3? Rookies taken in the draft will go on to our minors roster where they're protected for 5 years. After that, they need to be added to your main squad or dropped. Looking for best goalie with perhaps the best chance at making / doing well in the NHL soonest. Thanks, dudes and dudettes.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

The Great One

Default Re: Top 3 goalies from this year's draft, excluding Knight

Are there any youngish goalies from previous drafts unowned? The thing I hate about drafting a 2018 goalie is that there is a fairly good chance they won't be relevant in 5 years from now.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Are there any youngish goalies from previous drafts unowned? The thing I hate about drafting a 2018 goalie is that there is a fairly good chance they won't be relevant in 5 years from now.
    Sorry, I'd be drafting a goalie taken in this year's draft (2019.) Some goalies available on the waiver are guys like Merzilikins, Nedeljkovic and Sorokin to name a few. Problem is they'd have to replace either Demko, Schneider or Shestyorkin.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd look at the draft results tread in the prospects section, and see what names pop out to you. I'm going to pull 3 names from the deep draft I was in, that I think have the best opportunity in the next 4 years.

If Knight is the only guy gone, I'd lean towards one of:
    G Sogaard, Mads - OTT
    G Jones, Hunter - MIN
    G Konovalov, Ilya - EDM

That's 2 second round guys, and the KHL rookie of the year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Kochetkov and Konovalov are both a bit older, so that might make them a little further along in their development (thinking of that five year window)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    Sorry, I'd be drafting a goalie taken in this year's draft (2019.) Some goalies available on the waiver are guys like Merzilikins, Nedeljkovic and Sorokin to name a few. Problem is they'd have to replace either Demko, Schneider or Shestyorkin.
    Think of it this way. Going back to the 2014 draft (5 years ago), there were 21 goalies drafted. Collectively, these 21 NHL goalies have 14 NHL games (10 by Demko, 2 by Nedeljkovic, 1 by Halverson and 1 by Merzlikins - just the other night). Sorokin was drafted and not ranked by Dobber in the top 10 goalie prospects. The same with Shesterkyn - not in Dobber's top 10 list. In my opinion, using your 60th pick on a goalie is poor asset management.

I'd much rather drop Schnieder and add Sorokin or Nedeljkovic. Cory has no trade value, his points don't matter to you since you are rebuilding, and Sorokin actually has a chance to be a number 1 goalie. Same with Nedeljkovic.

Also keep in mind Brayden Point was drafted 79th in 2014, and Dobber's mock draft had him at 38th overall.

While hitting a home run like this is a longshot with the 60th pick, I think you are way more likely to strike gold drafting a forward at 60th than a goalie.

But if you really want to draft a goalie, I'd follow the advice above. Draft an over age goalie, to increase your (really, really bad) odds.

EDIT: just curious - what are the rules for your taxi squad? Are there a maximum amount of players you can hold there? And besides the 5 year rule, can you keep as many down there as long as you want? Or are there other rules that dictate when you have to move them to your pro team?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Think of it this way. Going back to the 2014 draft (5 years ago), there were 21 goalies drafted. Collectively, these 21 NHL goalies have in 14 NHL games (10 by Demko, 2 by Nedeljkovic, 1 by Halverson and 1 by Merzlikins - just the other night). Sorokin was drafted and not ranked by Dobber in the top 10 goalie prospects. The same with Shesterkyn - not in Dobber's top 10 list. In my opinion, using your 60th pick on a goalie is poor asset management.

I'd much rather drop Schnieder and add Sorokin. Cory has no trade value, his points don't matter to you since you are rebuilding, and Sorokin actually has a chance to be a number 1 goalie. Same with Nedeljkovic.

Also keep in mind Brayden Point was drafted 79th in 2014, and Dobber's mock draft had him at 38th overall.

While hitting a home run like this is a longshot with the 60th pick, I think you are way more likely to strike gold drafting a forward at 60th than a goalie.

But if you really want to draft a goalie, I'd follow the advice above. Draft an over age goalie, to increase your (really, really bad) odds.
    Carter Hart?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Think of it this way. Going back to the 2014 draft (5 years ago), there were 21 goalies drafted. Collectively, these 21 NHL goalies have in 14 NHL games (10 by Demko, 2 by Nedeljkovic, 1 by Halverson and 1 by Merzlikins - just the other night). Sorokin was drafted and not ranked by Dobber in the top 10 goalie prospects. The same with Shesterkyn - not in Dobber's top 10 list. In my opinion, using your 60th pick on a goalie is poor asset management.

I'd much rather drop Schnieder and add Sorokin. Cory has no trade value, his points don't matter to you since you are rebuilding, and Sorokin actually has a chance to be a number 1 goalie. Same with Nedeljkovic.

Well I do like both Sorokin and Nedeljkovic so I wouldn't be opposed to drafting them and dropping Schneider. For future reference, would you say it's best to stay from drafting goalies all together and just hope you find a gem on the waiver, like Nedeljkovic or Sorokin?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Carter Hart?
    He was drafted already and the GM loves him way too much haha!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's Lemons View Post
    Well I do like both Sorokin and Nedeljkovic so I wouldn't be opposed to drafting them and dropping Schneider. For future reference, would you say it's best to stay from drafting goalies all together and just hope you find a gem on the waiver, like Nedeljkovic or Sorokin?

- - - Updated - - -

He was drafted already and the GM loves him way too much haha!
    That was in repsonse to ALS.. not suggesting him necessarily.

Joseph Woll, Ian Scott, DiPietro ... are 3 a bit older to take a look at
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Konovalov is 21 years old and is playing in the KHL. He won the Rookie of the Year last season in the KHL. He is still a few years away.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    That was in repsonse to ALS.. not suggesting him necessarily.

Joseph Woll, Ian Scott, DiPietro ... are 3 a bit older to take a look at
    If I understand correctly, he can only draft 2019 draftees. If he takes Woll, Scott or DiPeetro … that has to be in the waiver draft and the player has to go on his main roster. I also seem to recall a 3G limit. So basically, Woll, Scott and Dipetro are irrelevant since Sorokin and Nedeljkovic are much better options.

To answer earlier question - yes, I would ignore goalies for your entry draft. Keep in mind that given that your team is so bad, you have an advantage with the WAIVER draft. Nobody else will want to hold players on the main roster that aren't playing. So this is were you need to use the waiver draft to your advantage. You can't wait until, for example, Sorokin signs a contract and comes over. You have to beat players to the punch.

Also, if I were you, I wouldn't promote anyone from your taxi squad until the 5 years are up. Keep Kakko there for 5 years. Why let him get you points when you aren't competing? Build up your minors, and then bring them up when you have to. It will be a very long rebuild for you. But I have the feeling you have the patience. (I'm just not sure you have the discipline - i.e. not trading away your top draft choices).