Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump thread and the 2020 election

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Trump thread and the 2020 election

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Can't tell which side you're laughing at...
    Laughing at us all. Why do we need sides? We can agree that protests are important against those who are wrong, that breaking the law is unacceptable, and that we can be different without being enemies.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Laughing at us all. Why do we need sides? We can agree that protests are important against those who are wrong, that breaking the law is unacceptable, and that we can be different without being enemies.
    Sure, I was just asking specifically about my post vs PenguinHunters post which I quoted. I wasn't sure why you were laughing at it - if it was because you thought what I said was right, or laughably wrong... Anyways, doesn't matter I suppose.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Sure, I was just asking specifically about my post vs PenguinHunters post which I quoted. I wasn't sure why you were laughing at it - if it was because you thought what I said was right, or laughably wrong... Anyways, doesn't matter I suppose.
    I laughed at the post two, for whatever it's worth. Because it was a clever response. Can't speak for the Dr., though,

Dobber Sports Ninja

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-ca...4azzYw6DY7CZrA

Trumps floats the idea of delaying the election. Many of us KNEW this was going to be put out there.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Worst GDP decline in history coming up. Possibly just more distraction from Trump from how truly terrible and inept he has been at his job.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...line-on-record

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Worst GDP decline in history coming up. Possibly just more distraction from Trump from how truly terrible and inept he has been at his job.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...line-on-record
    In fairness, I don't think ANY government should be punished for the initial economic impacts due to covid-19. It's always bugged me how the media, investors, and the public at large (conservatives particularly) tie WAY too much blame/praise to governments for the quarterly ebb and flow of how an economy does. Usually the economic performance of a first term president is mostly dependent on how well the previous administration managed things. The pandemic was unique because stinging economic impacts were felt within a matter of weeks instead the usual many months traditionally. All the world's economies are trying to re-align and recover but there is no blue print on how things should precede going forward. I would blame Trump for passing legislation to pad the pockets of the ultra rich, for totally ignoring proper medical advice and protocol for the pandemic, aggravating race relations, but blaming him entirely on a crashing GDP he gets somewhat of a pass... for now.

Dobber Sports Titan

Trump ends his term in January, if it's delayed Pelosi ends up taking over as an interim President. Trump doesn't extend his term.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

Bad day for Trump.

Historic GDP decline.

Former presidents of both party showing support and solidarity at John Lewis's funeral.

Black conservative Herman Cain dies of Covid at 74. He was maskless at the Tulsa rally.

Anyone want to guess how Trump will try to change the story? Obviously, postponing the election is one way but they'll be something else.
    Last edited by Daydream Nation; July 30, 2020 at 11:09 AM. Reason: missed words
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    In fairness, I don't think ANY government should be punished for the initial economic impacts due to covid-19. It's always bugged me how the media, investors, and the public at large (conservatives particularly) tie WAY too much blame/praise to governments for the quarterly ebb and flow of how an economy does. Usually the economic performance of a first term president is mostly dependent on how well the previous administration managed things. The pandemic was unique because stinging economic impacts were felt within a matter of weeks instead the usual many months traditionally. All the world's economies are trying to re-align and recover but there is no blue print on how things should precede going forward. I would blame Trump for passing legislation to pad the pockets of the ultra rich, for totally ignoring proper medical advice and protocol for the pandemic, aggravating race relations, but blaming him entirely on a crashing GDP he gets somewhat of a pass... for now.
    I completely agree with pretty much all of this.

But I can't imagine Trump, who has tied his entire self-worth to the economy, sees it that way.

Dobber Sports Sage

but blaming him entirely on a crashing GDP he gets somewhat of a pass... for now.
    If he had handled the pandemic in a sensible way, the GDP would not have cratered to the level it has. Parts of the US are shutting down again largely as a result of the terrible leadership from the Trump and the various GOP governors that would not mandate masks and opened up states too soon.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    If he had handled the pandemic in a sensible way, the GDP would not have cratered to the level it has. Parts of the US are shutting down again largely as a result of the terrible leadership from the Trump and the various GOP governors that would not mandate masks and opened up states too soon.
    Maybe or maybe not. It would have dropped no matter who was in charge, whether the GDP ended at -20% or the current -32%, but we both know Trump will continue to do a shit job of trying to recover the economy for the limited time he has left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Maybe or maybe not. It would have dropped no matter who was in charge, whether the GDP ended at -20% or the current -32%, but we both know Trump will continue to do a shit job of trying to recover the economy for the limited time he has left.
    I agree with you there.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud

BTW, under Trump's "proposal" to postpone the election, there will not be a President Pelosi, since she also won't be reelected to her House term. The "plan", such as it is, would be to dissolve Congress and keep Trump in power via some type of SCOTUS-backed coup.

Yes, the elections are run entirely by states. So, in this situation, it would require that enough red-state governors go along with Trump's game and cancel their elections, thus denying the quorum in the House. We'd be in a full-blown constitutional crisis here, of course...

Which is exactly what Trump wants. He figures he can get the military (perhaps) and law enforcement (definitely) on his side and SCOTUS will rule that he is still the legitimate president until he decided to call new elections.
    Will be fun.
    Re: President Pelosi

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree that it's hard to blame politicians for their economic situation during a pandemic, even Trump. That being said, that wont be the only reason for his demise. The handling of the Corona Virus as well as the way he's dealt with the whole BLM movement will be his demise and a big reason for his plummeting approval rating numbers. That and most people are just tired of him in general. Simply put, they just dont like him. Sure, he has his supporters, but I think you'll see those numbers will continue to slide as the death toll from the virus climbs.

It's no wonder he's trying to delay the election. He's clinging to his last straw that he can take credit for an economic turnaround and hoping the market doesn't crash again. If he was truly confident in him winning in November, he wouldn't even be calling for this. That tells you all you need to know right there.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports All-Star

Agreed Trump is certainly not solely responsible for these utterly devastating economic figures. This last quarter was 4 times worse than the worst quarter of the great depression. It would have been a terrible quarter regardless of who was in charge of the US, but, like others point out, it is easy to understand that those numbers have been greatly exacerbated by the President and his team fumbling the ball repeatedly and continuously. Unfortunately, this comes as no surprise to most. Trump was never anything but a fraud and a charlatan. All he ever knew how to do was whip a credulous crowd into a frenzy. A reality TV show host with no moral compass and no ambition other than power, attention and endless praise.

Let's hope his transition out of office is swift and seamless.

Let's hope in time most of Trump's stain and stench can be removed from the country.

Let's hope the American people can come together and put the country back in order, slowly, piece by piece.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen