Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calgary make a move at the draft?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Calgary make a move at the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that they will trade Dougie Hamilton and Sam Bennett to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson?
    Calgary wants draft picks so any deal around Dmen will include those, one has to assume.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Calgary wants draft picks so any deal around Dmen will include those, one has to assume.
    I think that's a pretty overblown theory. They'd like draft picks, but improving the team for next season is more important than a second round pick.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Fair, but I just get the feeling like if they want to move a player like Hamilton, that EK has to be on their radar... Add in a stalling prospect like Bennett...and a desperate Ottawa.... Lots to like there.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I think that's a pretty overblown theory. They'd like draft picks, but improving the team for next season is more important than a second round pick.
    Conroy seemed more interested in a hockey trade than trading for picks so you're assessment seems accurate.
    Points only keeper. 12 Teams. No pos requirements. 18 skaters / 3 goalies (2 count for points.) G/A = 1 point each (includes goalies) Goalies = 1.5 for W / 4.5 for SO. Minors - 4 year protection. Prospects added during their draft year only. Undrafted = waivers.
    Skaters: Tolvanen,Jeannot,Drysdale,Benson,Sprong,Fantilli,H .Lindholm,T. Raddysh,K. Miller,Edvinsson,Roslovic,Sharangovich,McBain,Benn ett,Crouse, Luostarinen,Dube,Phillips
    Goalies: Gustavsson,Schmid,Vejmekla
    Minors: F.Pinelli,Beckman,Cossa,Nikkanen,Tieksola,Pashin,M cMichael,Konovalov,Svechkov,K.Johnson,Moore,Crista ll,Heidt,Ziemmer,Perron,Nadeau,Gulyayev,Wahlberg, Suniev,Tomasino,Khusnutdinov

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    The Flames are like Ottawa a couple years ago and Toronto a few years before that...

i.e. Thinking you are better than you actually are is dangerous and you convince yourself to make bad short-term decisions that will take years to overcome.
    Only they don't seem "bad" at the time.
    So you trade for guys like Smith and Hamonic, and sign character like Brouwer.

I think the Flames need to accept reality (they are a non-playoff team, after all) and think about contending in 6 to 8 years from now.
    That means, as always, build patiently through the draft.
    A guy like Gaudreau, for example, is a quality player, but he's not a core piece - he's a complimentary one.
    That was why Kessel going to Pittsburgh was such a shrewd move by the Pens... they knew he was an excellent player who was miscast in Toronto.
    How is gaudreau not a core piece though? I'm not saying he can't be dealt or a perfect return, but I'd think he has to be part of the flames core, and probably would be to any NHL team, no?

Dobber Sports Initiate

The Flames are like Ottawa a couple years ago and Toronto a few years before that...

i.e. Thinking you are better than you actually are is dangerous and you convince yourself to make bad short-term decisions that will take years to overcome.
    Only they don't seem "bad" at the time.
    So you trade for guys like Smith and Hamonic, and sign character like Brouwer.

I think the Flames need to accept reality (they are a non-playoff team, after all) and think about contending in 6 to 8 years from now.
    That means, as always, build patiently through the draft.
    A guy like Gaudreau, for example, is a quality player, but he's not a core piece - he's a complimentary one.
    That was why Kessel going to Pittsburgh was such a shrewd move by the Pens... they knew he was an excellent player who was miscast in Toronto.
    LOL just terrible analysis all around

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bluck View Post
    LOL just terrible analysis all around
    And what is your analysis?

Dobber Sports Ace

Feel free to offer your own analysis, but my "terrible" opinion is kind of supported by the evidence in this case, no? They did miss the playoffs, after all.

I don't know what else to say... I watch almost all of the Flames games (they are my girl's #1 team and my #2 team)... and that's how I see it.
    Gaudreau is a very talented player, for sure. But he's also a turnover machine who cheats on offence and constantly does fly bys in his own zone... if and when he backchecks.
    I don't believe he is a true core piece for any contending team, the same way I don't believe Kessel is a true core piece. He won his cups being a supportive player, not a primary one.
    Eye,

I see your point about Johnny if you wouldn't consider Kessel a core piece. I just disagree with you I guess on how to define a core piece. But youre not wrong about Johnny being all offense
    Last edited by roenick27; June 25, 2018 at 4:41 PM. Reason: Posted like 5 times