Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hockey Canada Age Group Name Changes

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Hockey Canada Age Group Name Changes

Makes sense and probably long overdue. But I will miss these names.

Hockey Canada is changing its traditional age group names, including "midget," a year after some other sports organizations stopped using the term.

The governing body of hockey in Canada announced Monday that the age categories, that also included novice, peewee, atom and bantam, would be replaced by names descriptive of the ages of the players, from under-7 up to U21.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hoc...ames-1.5364260

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Hockey Canada Age Group Name Changes

It certainly clarifies the age groupings and where you will play but as someone who came up playing Novice, Pee-wee, Bantam and Midget hockey, once again this is just appeasing the masses to avoid hurting someones feelings.

Bubble wrapped society wins again!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

I never understood why they had specific names to be honest. Like, in peewee you gotta be this age to play. Why not just make it U10 or whatever. To this day I have no clue what "group name" I was in, I know the age I was.

Really makes more sense to go to a U10 naming. But it's def because someone got hurt by the "midget" label. Which...I get? I can't comment on how offensive it is since I am the opposite of a midget (6'7"), so even kids who might be teased for their height might have some everlasting complexes from it.

But clearly enough people thought it was a good decision.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

The names don't mean anything so no need to continue with something that brings no value.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It certainly clarifies the age groupings and where you will play but as someone who came up playing Novice, Pee-wee, Bantam and Midget hockey, once again this is just appeasing the masses to avoid hurting someones feelings.

It's very little cost to show some kindness and decency to people. Hockey Canada gets it. I am sure you can too.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I never understood why they had specific names to be honest. Like, in peewee you gotta be this age to play. Why not just make it U10 or whatever. To this day I have no clue what "group name" I was in, I know the age I was.

Really makes more sense to go to a U10 naming. But it's def because someone got hurt by the "midget" label. Which...I get? I can't comment on how offensive it is since I am the opposite of a midget (6'7"), so even kids who might be teased for their height might have some everlasting complexes from it.

But clearly enough people thought it was a good decision.
    I'm in this boat (though not 6'7"). Never knew what any of the age groups meant, and still don't. I think tyke was the smallest one, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Happy it's going to be clear/straightforward now.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Star

It’s absolutely the right thing to do. First of all, it makes it clear the age limit on the groups involved, and secondly it stops using a name that some find offensive. It’s a win/win as far as I am concerned.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Amen brother!

Pretty soon we will have to change the name of Canada because the name clearly favours the letter 'a' and is not fair to the rest of the vowels in the alphabet!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I couldn't imagine being this upset over something so irrelevantly small. Talk about bubble wrapped society.

Administrator

The over-sensitivity is definitely a widespread problem, not just a problem isolated to one group or one "side"

Snowflakes complaining about snowflakes...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I couldn't imagine being this upset over something so irrelevantly small. Talk about bubble wrapped society.
    Not sure how you got "upset" from my post but hey, sorry if I made you uncomfortable. Feel better?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

People upset about people being upset about people being upset, the ultimate upsetness.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    People upset about people being upset about people being upset, the ultimate upsetness.
    Sure.. if people want to consider it upsetness. But I think its more consideration on what positive things could come from people that complain about the 'irrelevantly small' things.

Just imagine if the group of people complaining about the name of an age group of hockey focused that effort onto cleaning their city, or volunteering in a soup kitchen... or doing something 'positive' rather than focusing on the 'negative'.

We live in a a society that focuses too much on the glass being half empty and how can we make it 3/4 empty.... rather than seeing the glass as half full and how can we make it 3/4 full.

People that complain about things have to consider the motive behind things... I am pretty confident that when the Hockey Canada did not have any motive of offending anyone when they came up with the name classification.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Sure.. if people want to consider it upsetness. But I think its more consideration on what positive things could come from people that complain about the 'irrelevantly small' things.

Just imagine if the group of people complaining about the name of an age group of hockey focused that effort onto cleaning their city, or volunteering in a soup kitchen... or doing something 'positive' rather than focusing on the 'negative'.

We live in a a society that focuses too much on the glass being half empty and how can we make it 3/4 empty.... rather than seeing the glass as half full and how can we make it 3/4 full.

People that complain about things have to consider the motive behind things... I am pretty confident that when the Hockey Canada did not have any motive of offending anyone when they came up with the name classification.
    It's weird how a certain section of people always seems to think being more inclusive is a "negative" just because it means a change from how things were done "back in my day".

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

It's sad to me, that people think that they should be able to decide the appropriate level that somebody should or should not be upset by something. What's right to me, isn't necessarily right to you. If something is important to me, it isn't necessarily important to you and that is the way it should be, no?

Also, your argument that they should be spending their energy on something more useful is a non sequitur. Can't they focus on both? Also, there is an argument to be made which would suggest that by them removing something offensive, that they are in fact focusing on the positive and not the negative; after all, in their mind changing it is a positive change.

Rylant