Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: QMJHL set to ban fighting

Dobber Sports Deity

Default QMJHL set to ban fighting

Interesting development in the Q today. I think fighting has almost disappeared so I don't think it will change much but I do think there's still a place for it in the game but not as prevalent as it used to be.

https://twitter.com/theTonyFerrari/s...IivNrZvoQ&s=19

The QMJHL is planning to have a rule in place that will ban fighting, making it black and white that it is no longer a part of our game."

The end of fighting in hockey could be right around the corner and the #QMJHL is spearheading the movement.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: QMJHL set to ban fighting

I find it odd that it's Quebec leading the way...
    Interested in being a Dobber Hockey champion?
    Join Our Tiered League Now!
    Climb your way to the top of a three tiered Roto league.
    Check out the link below for more info or PM me!
    https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...League-2023-24

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Doing this is juniors makes sense, as there can be a massive difference between 15-16 and 18-19 year olds. I once played freshman-sophomore football against a team that thought we were bringing our JV, and they had their JV bolstered by varsity backups against us. We had size disadvantages at every position, except possibly kicker.

It was a bloodbath, with very little blood, but multiple stretchers for us. Once it got realized, that changed things a bit. They went to their backups. second half was played with running time, as in the clock never stops.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Fighting has been against the rules in hockey for as long as I can remember.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Fighting has been against the rules in hockey for as long as I can remember.
    Yes, like jaywalking...

Of course it's against the rules, but the hockey world could easily make it virtually non existent as its currently against the rules, but basically condoned. The consequences of fighting in hockey today are relatively insignificant. If you were automatically ejected from the game it would be different. If your fight occurred in the third period or overtime and they also ejected you from the next game, it would be REALLY different.

It's a devisive topic for sure. I think hockey should do what they can to eliminate it. It's unnecessary and barbaric and dangerous. It doesn't add anything too the game. I applaud the Q for doing this. Hopefully, it spreads to the other leagues.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Why?

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

i get the intent...but (similar, kinda to allowing checking earlier in the stages of the game) this will put these kids in a huge disadvantage if the time comes. they wont know what to do.

i guess the argument is that, much greater than half already don't fight so they would be at a loss regardless of when they "aren't allowed" to fight in hockey.

i have been to alot of WHL games and the hitting and fighting has gone waaay down anyway so maybe this isn't really a big deal.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I am not... they are the 'softest' CHL league.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Icon

I like what the BCHL did a couple years ago.

They added the ability to add instigator or aggressor to a fighter after the game was over.
    Your first fight during the season gets you a five minute major and a game misconduct.
    Your second fight during the season gets you a five minute major, a game misconduct and a 1 game suspension.
    Your third fight during the season gets you a 5 minute major, a game misconduct, a 2 game suspension and a call with the Department of Player Safety.
    Your fourth fight gets you a 5 minute major, a game misconduct and a 4 game suspension and a call with the Department of Player Safety

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    I am not... they are the 'softest' CHL league.
    Well I don't follow CHL leagues to know the differences.

So I was looking at it more that Montreal (and Quebec) have very deep routed hockey seeds. Original 6 team, use to the good old days. Rowdy passionate fans, I would have guessed would welcome a good fight more so (imo) over other fan bases.
    It's an entertainment product after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

It's a devisive topic for sure. I think hockey should do what they can to eliminate it. It's unnecessary and barbaric and dangerous. It doesn't add anything too the game. I applaud the Q for doing this. Hopefully, it spreads to the other leagues.

Rylant
    Don't really agree. A fight can turn the momentum in a game, or open up space for other players when a 'heavy' player is on the ice. Not to mention the entertainment value to the fan.

Older results (couldn't find more recent years)

"There were 17 injuries resulting from fights during the 2010-2011 regular and preseason NHL campaign, resulting in an injury rate of 1.12% per combatant/per fight encounter (n=1520). Only 5 of the 17 injuries were metacarpals, for a rate of 0.33% per combatant. The land fight cohort boasted a metacarpal rate of 81% per combatant (n=590). Concussion rate per fight was 0.39%. compared to nearly 4.5% Relative Risk per game from checking. Combatants in the NHL group landed a significantly greater number of punches landed, on average per fight; there were 11.5 punches per combatant per fight in the NHL group, and only 3.5 in the land (p ≤ 0.001) cohort."

Fighting style on ice is much different than on land. The overall concussion rate from fighting is nearly non-existent compared to regular head shots from checking on ice. You can't claim fighting is dangerous while being fine with checking.

I wouldn't want to see it how it use to be though... I think fighting is in a good spot right now - with room for tweaks.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm here and ready for the fighting to be done.
    I refuse to be the old man who says "Back in my day, we had fighting and nobody was doing XXXXX to other guys."

I think fights are still going to happen in the NHL when guys lose their shit (for some, probably good, reason).
    And I think there'll be some form of punishment/discipline.

The official "No more fighting" will help eliminate the goon-fighter-only types out of the game with good reason.
    And it'll clean up the game from roots-to-NHL with every player in the game to "have skill" and not for his fists.

And this will be good for the game.
    We'll still see the fights... I think... but it'll always be guys that can play.

And I can look forward for that.

Dobber Sports Sage

I feel like the goon-fighter-only types are already (for the most part) out of the game. There's not really a roster spot for them now.
    You still have some guys that are beasts that can chuck 'em, but they can also play good hockey.

Off the top of my head, Ryan Reaves is probably one of the last (goon-fighter-only), but look how well the Wild have done after his acquisition...
    He also only has 36 PIM for the year...

That's why I think fighting is in a good spot (or almost there).

I also want the 4 skill lines, but if players want to chuck em that's fine - also exciting just make sure it's still a hockey game.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    i get the intent...but (similar, kinda to allowing checking earlier in the stages of the game) this will put these kids in a huge disadvantage if the time comes. they wont know what to do.
    This.

I feel like the goon-fighter-only types are already (for the most part) out of the game. There's not really a roster spot for them now.

That's why I think fighting is in a good spot (or almost there).

I also want the 4 skill lines, but if players want to chuck em that's fine - also exciting just make sure it's still a hockey game.
    And This.

It's pretty much already down to the point where it's only happening in "player policing player" situations. The staged fights are essentially eliminated, and the "turning momentum" fights are following suit..

Dobber Sports All-Star

How about eliminating the stupid fights that happen after a clean hit? Make the instigator like 5 minutes to get rid of these butthurt team mates supposedly coming to the rescue. I love seeing a big clean hit but then hate what happens after it.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    How about eliminating the stupid fights that happen after a clean hit? Make the instigator like 5 minutes to get rid of these butthurt team mates supposedly coming to the rescue. I love seeing a big clean hit but then hate what happens after it.
    Exactly!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."