Page 337 of 370 FirstFirst ... 237 287 327 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 347 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,055 of 5547

Thread: Edmonton Oilers

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Edmonton Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This is a big compliment to NBA players, not NHL players.

The NHL is the only league where loyalty matters, unfortunately loyalty only goes one way and the players haven't figured it out yet.
    NBA's contract system I like ... it's 4/5yr max term. Benefits to re-signing your players to higher caps that don't count the same on your cap totals. NBA contract social system I dislike...."I've demanded to play with these players, or I'll demand a trade. Wow it didn't work, I want out".

It's a knock on GMs who fold, but with a sport that leans so heavy on the talent of top 3 guys on the court, you're at the whim of a player. Simmons in Philly is an example I can get behind. He wants out, great, but he's not being gifted his desire. Situation I dislike, Harden in Houston. He wanted guys and got them. Got the coach, and couldn't win and forced his way out.

Pointless argument really though.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Is Kane a legit want for Oilers fans right now?

Seems he could provide a boost given they have almost no secondary scoring and Hyman is now out.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Nevermind... The Wings just signed Abdelkader to Grand Rapids for a PTO.

It's Christmas for Holland. This is his only way forward.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    If a player got into a bit of a hard road and demanded a trade after agreeing to be with the team long term, they'd be in the NBA.
    Yes, in the NBA the stars know that the only reason the league exists is because of them and they use that leverage appropriately. Hockey players could learn a ton from those guys. "A bit of a hard road" is such an understatement. This franchise has not demonstrated they are able to run a team since the 1990s.

Dobber Sports Icon

For the second time in a little over week, the NHL is saving the Oilers from Ken Holland. First Holland wanted to sign Evander Kane but the NHL said he's not eligible to sign at this point in time. Then today it was announced that Ken Holland wanted to sign Brad Malone to an NHL contract. However, he tested positive to Covid so the Oilers will now not be signing him at least for a few days.

What does Cooper Marody have to do to get a chance to play?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Is it the system, or lack thereof?

On paper there aren't many holes that need to be filled on the roster.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This is just an opinion, I'm am not Ken Holland, but I do not see him trading his 1st for Fleury. He's not trading that pick for a rental. I can see him working it in a deal for someone like Vanacek, Huuso, Varlamov; someone they can see a longer term investment. Again, just my opinion.

I think the easiest choice to make a short term fix is to let Tippett go and promote Gulutzan on an interim basis.
    Yes, for sure. The goalie (or D) coming back needs to project as a longer term solution if the currency is a 1st +. Fleury would be an exciting addition but just doesn’t fit for that kind of price.

There is still runway on the season to turn things around but without some kind of talent infusion in net, and maybe a new voice behind the bench, it’ll run out quickly
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Yes, in the NBA the stars know that the only reason the league exists is because of them and they use that leverage appropriately. Hockey players could learn a ton from those guys. "A bit of a hard road" is such an understatement. This franchise has not demonstrated they are able to run a team since the 1990s.
    Cap structures, salary rules, game structure (7-10 man rotations), money made by players in the NBA are the reason there's leverage. If they had the same cap structure/rules as the NHL, it wouldn't be as easy to move stars and that would lower the perceived power the players have. At the end of the day, it's the owners running the league.

I dunno, I think it's just a hard thing to say (in a realistic argument, and not in the attempted joke I did) "The NHL players should demand more like the NBA" when it's no where near the NBA. Apples and Oranges to me.

Dobber Sports Titan

Turris on Waivers, Soderlund on unconditional waivers for purpose of termination.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Is it the system, or lack thereof?

On paper there aren't many holes that need to be filled on the roster.
    No for sure, only two 2/3 D (Presuming you consider Barrie a passable 4), 6 bottom 6 players that don't get completely caved in, and a couple goalies. Not many holes, just those couple.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Barrie, Ceci, Bouchard, Nurse & Russell are all capable D men. They all have roles they can play more than effectively. If they aren't filling those roles, that a coaching issue. Can't do much about losing Klefbom.

Mike Smith is coming off an injury @ 39 years old, but was solid last year. He's not going to bounce back like he's 23... Not much you can do there. Koskinen has played well at times, and is an average backup.

Sure, depth @ forward could use some work.

Dobber Sports Titan

You don't yell at Shawn Horcoff for being C1 in the middle 2000s for not performing, you don't yell at Bozak for being C1 with the Leafs. You don't yell at Koskinen or Smith being G1s. They aren't G1s and we shouldn't be upset at them for not performing like G1s.

I've said it before on here. Koskinen is a polar bear in net. We're all confused and mystified when he does well, but shouldn't be surprised when he sucks. We should be wondering who is putting a polar bear in a net. Smith hasn't played over 40games since 2018, and hasn't won over 25 games in a season more than once since 2014. Or over 1,000s saves since 2017. His health and longevity in a season should always be around that 35-45gp and if you're leaning on him more than that, then you're gambling.

Barrie is a 4/5. Ceci is a 5. Russell is a 6/7. Nurse is a 1/2, Bouchard might be a 3 but he wouldn’t get those minutes from a coach like Tippet. At most they have 2.5 off top 4 D. That’s not a systems issue, it’s a talent one. It’s not Barrie/Ceci/Russell’s fault that they’re expected to fill roles they aren’t talented enough to fill.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Barrie is a top 10 offensive defenseman. If you're playing him as a 4/5 that's a coaching issue. He's a top pairing D man.

From the summer:

Barrie 1.jpg

Managed to get much worse as of Nov 5:

Barrie 2.jpg

And a different source saying the same thing:

Barrie 3.png

So far this season over half of Barrie's points are on the PP he shares with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl. Despite that he is tied for 44th in points and outside of the top 50 in P/g. He is below 48% in CF%, GF%, xGF%. Tyson Barrie is in no way a top 10 offensive defenseman, and in no way a top pairing defensemen. In short, if your team is playing Tyson Barrie as a top pairing defenseman, your team is f***ed.