Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ullmark and Swayman

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Ullmark and Swayman

I don't think that Ullmark's play has been as bad to reduce him to 1b. If Swayman is playing better, then play the hot hand of course. But they had a sample of what Swayman could do last season. I could see not trusting the small sample size but then why bring in Ullmark for 6 years? I don't think it's second guessing to say they could have brought in a vet for less money, Reimer?, to mentor and play 1B or maybe 1/3 of the games while mentoring the kid and Rask lurking in the background.

Ullmer is twice the cap hit that Reimer would have been. The B's could have signed Reimer and put the money to trying to get another dman.

Signed, Disgruntled Ullmark owner.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re: Ullmark and Swayman

right now I have Reimer, Nedeljkovic, Ullmark and Rask stashed away. have someone trying to get Nedel from me for Swayman and Georgiev. He said the new news out of Boston is that Swayman will be the guy they go with to be with Rask and Ullmark will either be traded or be in the pressbox. whether its true or not and being used as a sales tactic I have no idea

Dobber Sports Initiate

Ullmark carries a $5,000,000 cap hit. I can't see them sitting him in the press box.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by tytanium View Post
    right now I have Reimer, Nedeljkovic, Ullmark and Rask stashed away. have someone trying to get Nedel from me for Swayman and Georgiev. He said the new news out of Boston is that Swayman will be the guy they go with to be with Rask and Ullmark will either be traded or be in the pressbox. whether its true or not and being used as a sales tactic I have no idea
    Your buddy is lying to your face.

Back to the topic though, BOS has been super confusing. They signed Ullmark to a massive contract to clearly be their #1 for the next few years, yet they've been splitting the starts 60/40 for Swayman. Plus, it seems like Swayman is getting every single easy matchup. Bad team? Swayman. 2nd half of a B2B against a well rested top 3 team? Ullmark. It's like they are trying to shelter Swayman so hard that they don't even realize he's playing more games, they just default to him whenever there's a favourable matchup. Swayman has been absolutely shelled in whenever he gets even a slightly non-ideal matchup. They clearly have more faith in Ullmark but don't seem to have any strategy around how to balance the starts.

Rask will come in and Swayman will be sent down. They are not moving Ullmark's contract, nor are they just gonna sit him in the pressbox. That is a manager lying through his teeth to try to scam into accepting a less than ideal trade.

Ullmark was a bad signing that made no sense for BOS. Seems like they wanted a stopgap (like a Reimer) to be able to play while Rasks health was in question and Swayman was still developing. But instead they signed a massive contract for a guy who should be a #1 at that caphit, while still treating him like a stopgap.

Mind-boggling. It is remarkable how incompetent NHL GMs can be

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by snipshow101 View Post

Back to the topic though, BOS has been super confusing. They signed Ullmark to a massive contract to clearly be their #1 for the next few years, yet they've been splitting the starts 60/40 for Swayman. Plus, it seems like Swayman is getting every single easy matchup. Bad team? Swayman. 2nd half of a B2B against a well rested top 3 team? Ullmark. It's like they are trying to shelter Swayman so hard that they don't even realize he's playing more games, they just default to him whenever there's a favourable matchup. Swayman has been absolutely shelled in whenever he gets even a slightly non-ideal matchup. They clearly have more faith in Ullmark but don't seem to have any strategy around how to balance the starts.

Rask will come in and Swayman will be sent down. They are not moving Ullmark's contract, nor are they just gonna sit him in the pressbox. That is a manager lying through his teeth to try to scam into accepting a less than ideal trade.

Ullmark was a bad signing that made no sense for BOS. Seems like they wanted a stopgap (like a Reimer) to be able to play while Rasks health was in question and Swayman was still developing. But instead they signed a massive contract for a guy who should be a #1 at that caphit, while still treating him like a stopgap.

I agree with this, but it sounds to me like this guy should make that trade so he has all 3 Boston goalies (assuming Rask comes back), and then can decide based on what shakes out. For all we know Rask does't come back and they keep giving A starts to Swayman and he becomes their go to guy. If it's a keeper, I'd be even more inclined to take Swayman for Ned. But I know nothing about this guy's league so big grain of salt.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by snipshow101 View Post

I have been saying this for a while. That being said, it makes sense in a way, given how things have gone down. Linus Ullmark coming in cold into camp and preseason, missing half a year of hockey, opposed to Jeremy Swayman, who played well into the Summer and being the benefactor of being familiar with the team and its systems, and then finally to the matchups... Jeremy gets the easier stars, to Linus tweaking something during the Buffalo game. To be fair, Ullmark's performance against the Wings wasn't great and Swayman was outstanding two starts ago, so I get why we are where we are today and I suspect Ullmark just needs a rhythm going.

Also comparing Reimer to Ullmark, who is 5 years older and didn't look as good last year is silly, because we're going based on what have you done for me lately and the idea teams had that insight. Ullmark is better than what he has shown and Reimer won't keep this up. Also, nobody knew things would play out the way it did for either goalie to start. Let's see how things look in a few years before we make judgement over 20 games... Things can and will change. That being said, I am happy for James. But going on what ifs is silly, because Linus looked outstanding in Buffalo and Reimer was a backup. So of course one would command more than the other in the off season.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Some observations... I wouldn't say starting Swayman against Tampa was a gimme. How can either goalie develop a rhythm when they are constantly being shuffled around? The system being employed now, 60/40 Sway is more suited to a guy who is a career back up, like an Allen or a Halak. They're used to not playing all the time and have adapted. If you're a starter, like Ullmark, uou need starters minutes. Last point, Rask is coming back from hip surgery. I'd be surprised if he plays at a competitive level, if at all, this season. I don't understand this announcement by the B's. If they think by announcing that Rask is lurking that it will light a fire under your two starters, I'm not a fan of this Steinbrenner type philosophy. Moreover, if they did intend to try to move Ullmark, you're killing potential trade value because the other team knows you have to move this $5,000,000 cap hit.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by tytanium View Post
    i may have spoken too soon. The Athletic is reporting that Rask filled in as an emergency goalie Monday morning as Ullmark (ugh, band-aid boy) was not on the ice.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Ullmark back at practice today.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

starts are likely near 50/50 if Ullmark didn't get hurt. the schedule has been extremely wonky for Boston to start, potentially playing into neother goalie being able to find a rhythm.

Rask is extremely likely to come back, ang logically Swayman will be sent down if Ullmark is healthy.

they didn't sign Ullmark to be a stopgap though, they signed him to be a long term 1A/1B. time will tell whether that was the right decision but they seemingly don't have much confidence in Swayman to be the undisputed #1 this year or next. despite his tear last season he is still very raw and unquestionably needs to refine some things in his game.

Dobber Sports Initiate

And Ullmark with the amazing game.

Dobber Sports Novice

I think Boston was taking the safe route in signing Ullmark to that contract. If they didn't sign him long-term, someone was. There wasn't (and still isn't) a guarantee that Rask would return and young goalies have a tendency to be inconsistent. Now that Swayman has been solid and Rask looks like he will resign with Boston (although they will need to work through some cap issues), it will make Boston make some tough decisions. Unfortunately, I am an Ullmark owner (not a Swayman) and the situation does not look positive.
    H2H Dynasty League. 16 Teams.Scoring Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shots on Goal (SOG), Faceoffs Won (FW), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)

C- Eichel, Kuznetsov, Petterson, Stamkos, Stastny, Thomas, Bozak
    LW - Drouin, Athanasiou, McCann, Vatrano, Johnsson,
    RW - Kane, Marner, Sprong, Strome, Fiala
    D- Manson, Ceci, C. Miller, Cernak, Juulsen
    G- Rask, Bishop, Lehner, Ullmark

Minors- Bracco, Vesalainen, Katchouk, Dahlen, Hill, R. Suzuki, Lavoie, Brink, Woll, Ersson
    2020 Picks: 1,2,2,2,2 RD; 2021 Picks: 1, 2, 3 RD

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quite the quandary and/or contradiction when it comes down to goaltending management in Beantown. Often when teams play goalies in the tougher matchups, and the second of back-to-back games against tougher opponents, it goes without saying you put in the goalie you trust more, which is obviously your starter... The perceived most trusted goaltender. This has been Linus Ullmark multiple times this season. But yet the games are 14-to-10 in favour of Jeremy Swayman. Factor in a hot start... again Swayman came in playing hockey as of this Summer, where as Ullmark hadn't played hockey since the Winter. One is coming in hot were as the other is coming in cold and rusty. One also knows the systems and both the team/city where as the other is new to the aforementioned. Fast forward, you have the Buffalo game that was intended for Ullmark, but due to tweaking a leg, he had to sit out that game, which meant of course Swayman would get hot playing a weaker team and ride consecutive games. Then Linus came down with a flu... The point is, it's been more a series of events and situations that have led us to where we are now. Looking at the save percentages, .922 against weaker opponents vs. .917 in toucher matchups is the context one should go on vs. just looking at the on-the-surface stats. I think it will be Linus' goal crease when it's all said and done. Again, you don't sign a goalie for 5 million USD per on a 4 year deal to be used as a stop-gap or backup. He just needs to get a rhythm going, as Bruce Cassidy put it. For that to happen he needs consecutive games. If they are smart, they'll put Ullmark back in since he was the reason they won the game against Edmonton. What many felt was going to be an Oilers blow out, saw him save the team continuously with one big save after another, backstopping the B's with 40 saves.

Honestly, I think it does look positive for us Linus owners, because when he gets going, just like any good goalie, he finds a groove. I think we're starting to see it. Just have to hope Cassidy plays his cards right and puts in Ullmark tonight, as good goaltending should be rewarded. Then again, Swayman had two solid outings in a row, so how do you not go back to him? Granted it was against easier matchups and a more rested B team for the Vancouver game, opposed to the Edmonton one. It is frustrating, but in order for us to see momentum swing in Linus' favour, we need another bad game from Swayman. And hope that Linus can go on a streak after that.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Ullmark is showing for now he's the better goalie of the two given matchups... looks like we may see a rhythm showing. .921 to Swayman's .922.

Dobber Sports Initiate

It's tough to get into a groove when you're alternating starts. It also seems like they are protecting Swayman with the perceived easier match up. I've got Ully, Price and Keumper/Francouz...been on a tight rope all season so far.