Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lundqvist: buyout or not?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Lundqvist: buyout or not?

Is it the end of Lundy era in NY?

Do you think he’ll be a buyout for NYR and get a chance to win elsewhere?
    12 teams dynasty, Points only ( G and A = 1pt)

F: McDavid (12.5M), Kucherov (9.5M), Boldy (7M), Kyrou (8.13M), J. Norris (7.95M), Zegras (5.95M), Kuzmenko (5.5M), Reichel (0.925M), P. Kane (2.75M), Lundell (0.925M), Rasmussen (1.46M), Rossi (0.86M).

D: Korchinski (0.925M), Byram (3.85M), Burns (5.28M).

G: Kochetkov (2M), Shesterkin (5,670M).

Bench: E. Karlsson (10M), Lucius (0.925M), Edvinsson (0.89M), Askarov (0.925M), Quinn (0.86M), Berggren (0.925M), Stankoven (0.81M), Knight (4.5M), Mitchkov (TBD), Athanasiou (4.25M), Samsonov (3.55M), Klingberg (4.15M).

The Great One

Default Re: Lundqvist: buyout or not?

With only one more year left on his contract I do not think the Rangers will buy him out. I also don't think they'll trade him. The Rangers aren't desperate for cap space and I don't see them as Stanley Cup favorites, so I think they'll just ride it out. Worst case I think he just doesn't play a lot of games. My hunch is the King stays in NY unless the King asks for a buyout or trade.

Dobber Sports Wizard

im not sure why exactly but i always felt that he will retire a ranger, i think they will try to either trade Gregoriev or Lundqvist will retire before season starts. Personally, Im having hard time seeing him in another uniform.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Administrator

I've stated this a few times already but the best move for the franchise is to somehow get Lundqvist out of there. Georgiev and Shesterkin can be a fantastic duo for several years.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

Lundqvist won't accept a buyout. Money does talk, but Lundqvist seems dead set on being in NY. He would have let himself be traded to a contender at some point in the last few years if living in NY wasn't his number one priority.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I doubt he gets bought out and goes elsewhere.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Lundqvist won't accept a buyout. Money does talk, but Lundqvist seems dead set on being in NY. He would have let himself be traded to a contender at some point in the last few years if living in NY wasn't his number one priority.
    Does he have a say if the Rangers want to buy him out?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    i dont think so...i also think that all teams will get some ways to deal with cap issues due to Covid 19 and loss of revenue..maybe free buyout without consequences? Guess we need to wait and see on that.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i dont think so...i also think that all teams will get some ways to deal with cap issues due to Covid 19 and loss of revenue..maybe free buyout without consequences? Guess we need to wait and see on that.
    I thought that Henrik's no movement clause would hamper a buyout, but it does not. He is not be able to block a buyout. Still, for what he has meant to the Rangers, that's a hard PR look to send him away like that. It may be the right logical move, but we'll see if NY will make it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-faq

Dobber Sports Monster

I think they will find a taker for him. They can retain money and some teams might like having a guy with his experience around - maybe in a mentorship role. There could definitely be teams that would be willing to take him on for a sweetener. I dont think they can carry on as is - the two young guys are not happy with the situation and the last thing you want is them asking out.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He doesn't, but the PR angle is all bad if they buy him out. If they can convince him to retire and give him an organizational job, that's quite a plausible solution.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    He doesn't, but the PR angle is all bad if they buy him out. If they can convince him to retire and give him an organizational job, that's quite a plausible solution.
    ya, I already knew the answer to that. It was more rhetorical than anything else.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Or convince him to take the buyout. His salary in 2020 is 4.5 M and they would pay him 3 M in the buyout. They can surely make up the 1.5 M over the years to make him whole.

In terms of the PR, it comes down to whether they need the cap space. If it means losing Kreider in order to keep Lundqvist then you buy him out. (Assuming Kreider is an asset you want moving forward.) This team's transparency with the rebuild and their rapid rebound should give them some capital with the Lundqvist fans to make the move. Plus, as a fan I would be angry if my team didn't make the buyout. In a hardcap salary league you need to be rather ruthless in player moves. To keep a rotational goalie at 10% of the salary cap out of appreciation for his play and character in the past is a poor business practice especially since you can get him all his money rather easily.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Or convince him to take the buyout. His salary in 2020 is 4.5 M and they would pay him 3 M in the buyout. They can surely make up the 1.5 M over the years to make him whole.

In terms of the PR, it comes down to whether they need the cap space. If it means losing Kreider in order to keep Lundqvist then you buy him out. (Assuming Kreider is an asset you want moving forward.) This team's transparency with the rebuild and their rapid rebound should give them some capital with the Lundqvist fans to make the move. Plus, as a fan I would be angry if my team didn't make the buyout. In a hardcap salary league you need to be rather ruthless in player moves. To keep a rotational goalie at 10% of the salary cap out of appreciation for his play and character in the past is a poor business practice especially since you can get him all his money rather easily.
    But they already re-signed Kreider.

Dobber Sports Sage

But they already re-signed Kreider.
    LOL- I missed that.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov