Page 56 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6 46 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 66 106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: The Coronavirus Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    People are unrealistic about how fast a vaccine will come. The trials take years.

HIV has been around for 40 years and claimed 35 million lives. Still no vaccine today...
    Well. They’re very different viruses, so.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well. They’re very different viruses, so.
    Yeah, I think the point he was trying to make is vaccines currently under development aren't going to help us now. They may help with a second wave though, if that occurs.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    People are unrealistic about how fast a vaccine will come. The trials take years.

HIV has been around for 40 years and claimed 35 million lives. Still no vaccine today...
    A agree that we need to temper expectations.

That said, vaccines for flu and cold viruses, of which covid 19 is in the same family, have been widely used for years, whereas the virus that causes aids is a different animal altogether. As well, the situation with the coronavirus is much different. The numbers worldwide are astronomical and health agencies will likely be willing to forgo some of the usual strict and stringent testing requirements in order to help reduce the numbers of deaths that will occur. I could be wrong. Seems likely though.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Ace

Trump: “Take it. What do you have to lose?” (would “have to ask my doctors about that” before taking it himself however)

Fauci: “In terms of science, I don’t think we can definitively say it works. The data are really just at best suggestive. There have been cases that show there may be an effect and there are others to show there’s no effect.”

They are now stockpiling this drug in the US and using it as a treatment before clinical trials have been completed. Obviously not good news for people who depend on it for autoimmune diseases.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...i-malaria-drug

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    Trump: “Take it. What do you have to lose?” (would “have to ask my doctors about that” before taking it himself however)

Fauci: “In terms of science, I don’t think we can definitively say it works. The data are really just at best suggestive. There have been cases that show there may be an effect and there are others to show there’s no effect.”

They are now stockpiling this drug in the US and using it as a treatment before clinical trials have been completed. Obviously not good news for people who depend on it for autoimmune diseases.

Yeah people with Lupus are probably elated to hear this news. Whatever. Americans wanted this.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Yeah people with Lupus are probably elated to hear this news. Whatever. Americans wanted this.
    Yeah, I remember loads of Americans saying they voted for Trump specifically on that talking point during the election. "We want thousands of people to die!" they shouted in the streets, draped in MAGA gear.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

V on brand to absolve consequences of a conscious decision made. What you can always say about Trump is this is exactly who he always was and has been. Everyone voting for him knew what they were getting.

“Well who could have seen a pandemic coming?!” Lots of people, including lots of people Trump has relieved of their positions. But more importantly, crisis management is a large part of the job as President. He would be just as incompetent at managing any other crisis.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    Yeah, I remember loads of Americans saying they voted for Trump specifically on that talking point during the election. "We want thousands of people to die!" they shouted in the streets, draped in MAGA gear.
    They wanted someone who is anti-science to head the country. This is what they wanted, no matter the outcome. They voted for a system that says the economy is more important than a person. They dont have to literally say they want dead people. They just have to vote for and support a system that logically leads to that. Even as he hordes medical supplies from those who need it, based on in vitro studies and hand wavy hopes and wishes, his approval rating is nice and high. He will likely get elected again. Make no mistake. This is the America that Americans want.

Dobber Sports Star

They wanted someone who is anti-science to head the country. This is what they wanted, no matter the outcome. They voted for a system that says the economy is more important than a person. They dont have to literally say they want dead people. They just have to vote for and support a system that logically leads to that. Even as he hordes medical supplies from those who need it, based on in vitro studies and hand wavy hopes and wishes, his approval rating is nice and high. He will likely get elected again. Make no mistake. This is the America that Americans want.
    Yep, no question about it. Yes, nobody actually voted for dead people, but the knee bone is connected to the ankle bone... It doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to connect the dots and say this is very much what they voted for, and a part of the cost is human life. It’s one of the things that is blatant and painfully obvious when looking at what’s going on in the US.

The second amendment, costs lives. The price of the second amendment is 50 thousand lives each year, but you get to keep your gun. It is estimated that another 50 thousand people die each year in the US because they don’t have any medical coverage. I read a story a couple months ago about a guy in the US who lost all of the fingers on his hand in a work accident. This happened at work while he was doing his job. Well, the extent of what was covered through his work, was that they would bandage his hand and treat the wounds. They could have re attached his fingers, but it would have cost him several hundred thousand dollars. Rather than be in debt for the rest of his life, he declined the surgery to re attach his fingers and they literally threw his fingers in the garbage. Sure, it costs lives, but at least some people are able to get filthy rich off of the pharmaceutical and medical industry in the US. This is what you voted for.

I would ask the question; how many already rich people in the US have gotten richer specifically because of Covid-19? I bet the answer would surprise people. This is what you voted for.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's also interestingly not only one party...

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post

a lot of people rely on that drug for day to day arthritis relief so they can go to work . maybe that nurse taking care of you , maybe that guy stocking the toilet paper aisle .

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    a lot of people rely on that drug for day to day arthritis relief so they can go to work . maybe that nurse taking care of you , maybe that guy stocking the toilet paper aisle .
    They need someone to stockpile the yeast aisle now. Can't get any in this city anywhere
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Donald Trump’s top trade adviser Peter Navarro got into a heated debate over the weekend in the White House’s Situation Room after the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci, questioned his science over the use of the yet-unproven malaria drug hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19. Navarro, who is not officially part of the federal task force to fight the pandemic, used a stack of documents as a prop to push the drug’s potential, which Fauci argued was not real scientific data. “What are you talking about?” Fauci asked, which triggered Navarro, who quickly became indignant, leading him to falsely accuse Fauci of disagreeing with the president over travel restrictions to China. Fauci, who is increasingly targeted by Trump surrogates for disagreeing withe the president, was one of the first to agree with the travel restrictions.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/navarr...cheats&via=rss

Trade Advisors think they know more than the nation’s top infectious-disease expert.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Jedi

I bet Fauci is wishing he could self-isolate these days.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

It's also interestingly not only one party...
    Finally!!!!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​