Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018 draft - How will it go?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: 2018 draft - How will it go?

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    That's exactly what I would do - and you - which is why we should be running the Sens lol.

On lottery night they said they are 99.5% certain they are keeping the 4th overall. Could be posturing, who knows. But if they end up losing out on Jack Hughes for Oliver Wahlstrom or Even Bouchard, they will never hear the end of it. Of course it seems like the owner is making the big picture decisions there anyway.

The only other thing they could do is shift their asking price for Karlsson to include "win now" players as opposed to prospects, kids and futures.
    An example would be trading Karlsson to Colorado for Barrie, Kerfoot and something else ... or just conceding defeat and trading them Karlsson for something and their unprotected 1st back.
    Then, take Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes or Bouchard at 4, add what you can from the Avs for Karlsson, stink up the joint and hope you win Jack Hughes in 19.

I actually think the Avs could be a player for Karlsson, assuming he is open to possibly extending with them. They have a great core in MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog (a friend of EK's), Jost, etc.
    Plus I'm sure they'd pull out the stops and call in a favor to Forsberg to help sell him on how good the area, fans, organization are.

If the Avs added Karlsson without giving up significant roster pieces, they could take the next step and be one of the most exciting teams in the league.
    It's an interesting idea. They have Barrie already on the roster and Makar coming up in a couple of years but if they want to make a win now move, adding Karlsson would obviously do the trick and then they could trade either Barrie or Makar (or maybe even both) to improve other weaknesses in their roster. Or obviously Makar could be included in the trade for Karlsson.

(I didn't mention Timmins because he's a different type of defenseman and therefore not really affected similarly as Barrie and Makar would be.)

Dobber Sports Master

if the sens cough up 4th ov to col (because of the hughs factor in 2019) will there be a wahlstrom/tkachuk/bouchard kinda talented guy for them to draft in 2019 if their pick is in the 5-12 ov range next year ?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    if the sens cough up 4th ov to col (because of the hughs factor in 2019) will there be a wahlstrom/tkachuk/bouchard kinda talented guy for them to draft in 2019 if their pick is in the 5-12 ov range next year ?
    Most likely not in that range but there will be if they're picking somewhere in the top 5. It mostly comes down to risk management and where they realistically see themselves finishing next season. But obviously that 'realistically' part is difficult for any team.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Give Colorado 4 and see how bad you can rip chiralli off. Klefbom, Yamamoto and #10 for Karlsson?
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Give Colorado 4 and see how bad you can rip chiralli off. Klefbom, Yamamoto and #10 for Karlsson?
    Is that enough? I'm not so sure. But I don't see Edmonton being able to fit Karlsson's $12M cap hit and they're not paying that for a rental.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Is that enough? I'm not so sure. But I don't see Edmonton being able to fit Karlsson's $12M cap hit and they're not paying that for a rental.
    So sign and trade, as far as cap space you're right with all their UFA and RFA. RNH would probably have to go and not Yamamato. 6 Million for a 3C is a little pricey IMO.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    So sign and trade, as far as cap space you're right with all their UFA and RFA. RNH would probably have to go and not Yamamato. 6 Million for a 3C is a little pricey IMO.
    RNH played wing, wasn't a #3C.

It's just tough to add a $12M player when you already have one guy making $12.5M, one guy making $8.5M and Lucic making $6M. You're left with no money for depth if you add another $12M player to that. Lucic is the big problem and so is overpaying for Draisaitl but that being said, you just can't have two $12M guys on one team, it just doesn't work.

The Great One

RNH played wing, wasn't a #3C.

It's just tough to add a $12M player when you already have one guy making $12.5M, one guy making $8.5M and Lucic making $6M. You're left with no money for depth if you add another $12M player to that. Lucic is the big problem and so is overpaying for Draisaitl but that being said, you just can't have two $12M guys on one team, it just doesn't work.
    So trade McDavid for Karlsson. That's about as realistic as the other proposal thrown out...lol

Dobber Sports Wizard

I want to link this article from The Athletic for one reason only: my tweet is in there! Underrated centres the Canucks could target after the first round of the 2018 draft

There's a link to my tweet in the 3rd paragraph on the David Gustafsson section for those of you with access to The Athletic. Here's the link to my tweet for those who don't have access: https://twitter.com/JokkeNevalainen/...52989448294405

The Great One

For those that think Ottawa will trade their 4th overall, I just don't buy what you are selling.

For me, it all comes down to the owner. And what he cares about is trying to get more bums in seats. Trading the 4th overall is admitting that you are throwing this year away, and that is not the signal he wants to send. He wants to compete right away, so stop losing money. He's not thinking about a rebuild. He's thinking about dollars and cents.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    For those that think Ottawa will trade their 4th overall, I just don't buy what you are selling.

For me, it all comes down to the owner. And what he cares about is trying to get more bums in seats. Trading the 4th overall is admitting that you are throwing this year away, and that is not the signal he wants to send. He wants to compete right away, so stop losing money. He's not thinking about a rebuild. He's thinking about dollars and cents.
    I don?t think it has anything to do with the team or owner. Every team would keep the #4 pick instead of some mystery pick next year

I have a feeling they may end up giving the 4th overall pick to Colorado assuming they're trading Karlsson. It's a tough pill to swallow but better than losing out on Jack Hughes. Give away the pick now, start your rebuild now, finish last in the league. That's probably their best bet assuming Karlsson is out the door (and I think he is).
    They have already confirmed they are not giving away the pick and they are not rebuilding (no need to)

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    That's exactly what I would do - and you - which is why we should be running the Sens lol.

On lottery night they said they are 99.5% certain they are keeping the 4th overall. Could be posturing, who knows. But if they end up losing out on Jack Hughes for Oliver Wahlstrom or Even Bouchard, they will never hear the end of it. Of course it seems like the owner is making the big picture decisions there anyway.
    It makes no sens for Ottawa to give up their pick this year . They won?t finish this low again, and you can?t jut keep next years in the hope that you somehow win jack Hughes even though the odds will be extremely low. Ottawa?s core pieces are not young, they are built to compete now but had off year. Even if they miss the playoffs, it won?t be a great pick

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by reggiebarnes View Post
    They have already confirmed they are not giving away the pick and they are not rebuilding (no need to)
    Yup. No need to rebuild when you are a lottery team that's traded away it's next lottery pick for a Center that may walk as a UFA after 1 year.

Dobber Sports Deity

Everyone knows Anderson has one bad year, then a good one. This one was a bad one so next year should be a good one for him. Maybe they are doing the right thing. They better hope Anderson bounces back next year or they will be in the same place next year only without a high pick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."