Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2018 draft - How will it go?

Dobber Sports Legend

Default Re: 2018 draft - How will it go?

What I want to know is: Who do the Flyers take at 14 and 19?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    What I want to know is: Who do the Flyers take at 14 and 19?
    2 of Farabee or Kupari or Kravstrov or Kotkaniemi would be a mammoth haul for them.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    2 of Farabee or Kupari or Kravstrov or Kotkaniemi would be a mammoth haul for them.
    I think they snag one of them and Serron Noel if he's there. Noel has "Flyer" spraypainted all over him in orange.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Amen. And others also shouldn't assume that BT and MT are equivalent. They aren't. Just like this draft isn't the same as MT's draft.

I for one hope Ottawa goes BPA and highest ceiling. That's not BT....

If they draft BT, I'm convinced it's because they are thinking about the pick they have to give to Colorado next year...
    I think the only thing to be confident in is that Ottawa won?t draft Boqvist. He?s a project, terrible defensively. If they go D it?s Dobson or Hughes. They can?t take a big project. I would also take Tkachuk as I think he was Wheeler upside, but there is many player who I?d be interested in at #4, so happy regardless.

BT and MT aren?t equal but Brady is better skater and passer. MT was far more fortunate with teammates and league. Far easier players to put up points with. Brady has first line wheeler type upside, so it?s debateble who will have most upside at their pick. Brady would be talked about like getzlaf too if he played centre . Very gifted player offensively not just two way power forward

I think Hughes is the best American D in a long long time. And Dobson is a supreme two way D. I would have both ahead of Bouchard but Bouchard is more nhl ready probably

The Great One

I don't think many people are considering BT's age; if you look at his draft -1 season as a comparable, I just don't see him as a top 5 pick. But that's just me...

I don't think many people are considering BT's age; if you look at his draft -1 season as a comparable, I just don't see him as a top 5 pick. But that's just me...
    He played with really average talent. As a playmaking winger that hurts the stats . I think he?s the second best forward in the draft myself,..,but we will see.

Dobber Sports Master

I'm wondering if the Sens take offers to move down a few notches if the teams interested in tkachuk come calling on draft day

Dobber Sports Wizard

I think Brady Tkachuk gets drafted high and he won't truly live up to it. But he's a safe pick who will definitely play in the NHL and will be especially valuable in the playoffs, so he won't be a bad pick either.

His development should be compared to the 2017 draft class because he missed the cut-off by just one day. If he was drafted last year, would people be happy with the season he had? I think they would be fine with it but not really over the moon. That's why he isn't in my personal top 5. Shane Bowers is a good comparison for him because they played on the same team. They're also very close in age (born just 78 days apart) and had similar numbers. Most are projecting Bowers to become a 3rd-liner but it's too early to rule out 2nd line upside for him. I think Tkachuk is a bit more talented than Bowers but I don't see him becoming a real top-line forward. He could be a complementary winger on the top line, though. But that's different from being a real top-line forward.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I would be shocked if Kotkaniemi is there at #14. Farabee is a real possibility there, and that's where I have him going in my mock draft. Hayton, Denisenko and Kravtsov also deserve consideration there if available.

For #19, I like Kupari there a lot. I would also consider Bokk, Thomas and Kaut depending on what they want. Pretty much all the top players in that range are forwards which is good for the Flyers because they don't really need more defensemen. They could also go with a safer but less exciting option like Lundestrom, McLeod or Olofsson (especially if they don't draft a center at #14 and want one here).

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I think Brady Tkachuk gets drafted high and he won't truly live up to it. But he's a safe pick who will definitely play in the NHL and will be especially valuable in the playoffs, so he won't be a bad pick either.

His development should be compared to the 2017 draft class because he missed the cut-off by just one day. If he was drafted last year, would people be happy with the season he had? I think they would be fine with it but not really over the moon. That's why he isn't in my personal top 5. Shane Bowers is a good comparison for him because they played on the same team. They're also very close in age (born just 78 days apart) and had similar numbers. Most are projecting Bowers to become a 3rd-liner but it's too early to rule out 2nd line upside for him. I think Tkachuk is a bit more talented than Bowers but I don't see him becoming a real top-line forward. He could be a complementary winger on the top line, though. But that's different from being a real top-line forward.

I would be shocked if Kotkaniemi is there at #14. Farabee is a real possibility there, and that's where I have him going in my mock draft. Hayton, Denisenko and Kravtsov also deserve consideration there if available.

For #19, I like Kupari there a lot. I would also consider Bokk, Thomas and Kaut depending on what they want. Pretty much all the top players in that range are forwards which is good for the Flyers because they don't really need more defensemen. They could also go with a safer but less exciting option like Lundestrom, McLeod or Olofsson (especially if they don't draft a center at #14 and want one here).
    Bowers and Tkachuk are on completely different levels as prospects. They should not be compared. Tkachuk is definitely more skilled and has better tools. Tkachuk faced tougher competition all year, and even though he missed last years drsft by one day, you should still compare him to the 2018 crop and not the 2017 crop. From my experience it?s now the sexy and cool thing to dislike Tkachuk cause all the bloggers and stats people are doing it. He?s top 5 in every important ranking for a reason.

Dobber Sports Deity

I do think that Tkachuk is one of the better forward prospects in this years drafts but there are also excellent Dmen that teams will want over him and will most likely cause him to drop out of the top five in this years draft. I think he goes 6-10 in the draft (I have him going 6th to DET in my personal mock) but who knows.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

all of this is personal opinions for sure. hey i'll be the first one to admit when im wrong on a draft pick and his ultimate vs projected spot lol.

im just saying that (as a Sens fan that really likes what BT brings) i hope they draft Tkachuk in 4 spot. hes not like his Borther no, but reprts (and othrs) have said he has better hands, while being a bit more of that pest we all love to hate. when Matt entered teh league i loved it, hes taken a step back slightly in that he draws more PIM than he takes but id still take em every day.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Legend

JP, am I crazy to be such a huge fan of Isac Lundestrom? I would be thrilled if the Flyers selected him at 19. I think he has the potential to be one of those players that we look back on in 3 years and say, "I can't believe these 12 teams passed on him..."

As for BT - I think he is a "safe" pick in the sense that the team drafting him will likely never get a bust. He won't be an elite offensive star, but I think he'll be a safe 30/35/65 guy or maybe 30/40/70, while bringing leadership, attitude and consistency. I think he is a better version of Jake DeBrusk, and he was built for the playoffs, to your point.

Funny, when I was at the WJ's I walked to the rink with Keith Tkachuk and his wife. I asked him about Brady and he said that he never thought he would be a hockey player, but talent wise, he is the most talented in the family. Also said he is a very funny and likable kid and has been a hit on every team he's played on. I'm sure character and personality is going to play a part during the interview process.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Oops, no, that's a whoops by me. I had him in there and then made some changes. Let me re-adjust. There's no way he would get past EDM. I was trying to figure out how Smith made my top 10. I guess I know now.

1 - Buffalo - Rasmus Dahlin
    2 - Carolina - Andrei Svechnikov
    3 - Montreal - Filip Zadina
    4 - Ottawa - Adam Boqvist
    5 - Arizona - Quinton Hughes
    6 - Detroit - Brady Tkachuk
    7 - Vancouver - Evan Bouchard
    8 - Chicago - Oliver Wahlstrom
    9 - Rangers - Joel Farabee
    10 - Oilers - Noah Dobson
    I think I like Boqvist over Hughes too. Tkachuk must be the most divisive and its doubtful but you wonder if a team will run at Merkley sooner than expected. All in all I pretty much agree puick for pick- solid list...

The Great One

His development should be compared to the 2017 draft class because he missed the cut-off by just one day. If he was drafted last year, would people be happy with the season he had? I think they would be fine with it but not really over the moon. That's why he isn't in my personal top 5. Shane Bowers is a good comparison for him because they played on the same team. They're also very close in age (born just 78 days apart) and had similar numbers. Most are projecting Bowers to become a 3rd-liner but it's too early to rule out 2nd line upside for him. I think Tkachuk is a bit more talented than Bowers but I don't see him becoming a real top-line forward. He could be a complementary winger on the top line, though. But that's different from being a real top-line forward.).
    Thats a really interesting way to look at it. i think the league gives way way too much credit to "NHL bloodlines". Granted Im not a scout AND Im pretty well behind in terms of prospect analysis this year but thats my big fear on a guy like Tkachuk. You see it happen constantly...

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Thats a really interesting way to look at it. i think the league gives way way too much credit to "NHL bloodlines".
    True story.
    It happens. The NHL is a fraternity and many scouts are trying to make the safest picks as possible.

But in Brady's case, he might be getting sold a little short. I mean Matthew just put up 49 points in 68GP as a 19-20 year old, and Brady is more talented than him.
    I think the only way the team drafting Tkachuk between 3-5 gets questioned is if a kid they pass on becomes the next David Pastrnak or Erik Karlsson.
    If you're picking out of the Top-2 and you can add a 30 goal power forward who oozes character and is blessed with good size, I think your club made a real good pick.