Thread: Varlamov Finished?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Varlamov Finished?

With Neuvirth signed to a cheap contract, Holtby emerging, and Varlamov a UFA, I have to think that he's on his way out of Washington. Where do you see him ending up? I figure that the best case scenario would be Tampa, followed by Colorado. Do you agree that he's finished as a Cap and how do you think he'll fare on another squad?

Super Moderator

He'll actually be an RFA so the Caps do hold the right to match any offer to him. I'm not so sure they'll be quick to part with him and I think what happens at the end of the year to the playoffs will determine a lot. Holtby's been playing great but he's only 21 years old and Neuvirth also has a knack for getting injured (though not as often as Varlamov).

I do think since Neuvirth is locked up and Holtby is coming along nicely, they will move Varlamov but I don't think TB is a destination. I think they're happy with Desjardins over there. Colorado is definitely an option, as is Ottawa, Toronto, Florida (yeah I know about Markstrom) and possibly Edmonton. Just guesses here.

But even then, I don't see him given the #1 job anywhere until he proves he can stay healthy. Saying that, if Neuvirth/Holtby falters from here on in, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boudreau give him the #1 reigns for the playoffs.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Personally, I think Florida is the best fit for him.
    Washington can probably get a future 3rd/4th round draft pick for him just for dealing his RFA rights. I really don't think any teams are going to swoop in and sign him.

Tallon is building young. I would think that playing in a no-pressure non-hockey market with a couple other young Russians (Dadonov, Kulikov) might be the right setting for him. (Similar to how Washington seemed like a good fit for him with Russians OV & Semin).

2011-2012: 1a. Clemmensen, 1b. Varlamov, 3. Markstrom (full year in Rochester)
    2012-2013: Either Clemmensen or Varlamov moved to get Markstrom into NHL.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Just going to throw this out there...but what about a place like New Jersey? Brodeur isn't exactly a spring chicken anymore and Hedberg is close to the same age as Brodeur. It might make sense for the Devils to sign a guy like Varlamov to play as a backup to Brodeur and potentially learn from him as well.

As a Varly owner, I don't think I'd mind if he ended up in a spot like that either. Short term, his value would decrease but I think in the long run he'd be much better off.
    15-team keeper (keep 10) - G,A,+/-,PPP, Hits, Blocked Shots, W, SV%, Saves

Forwards - Kunin, Trenin, Eichel, Bjorkstrand, Boldy, Pastrnak, Boeser, Caufield, Laine, Crosby, Newhook, Konecny, Farabee, Rossi (NA)
    Defenseman - Brodin, Hamilton, Zadorov, Severson, Forsling, Braun, Roy
    Goalies - Sorokin, Hill, Varlamov, Daws

The Great One

I have a hard time imaging Varlamov as a Cap next year, but anything is possible.

To me, with all of his injury problems and, let's face it, some inconsistent play even when healthy, Washington would be no worse off going into the season next year with a Holtby/Neuvirth tandem as they were going into this past season with a Neuvirth/Varlamov tandem.

Still, I often wonder if Washington will ever sign a veteran goalie? With Vokoun, Anderson, and Bryzgalov pending UFAs this summer, wouldn't Washington be a much better team with one of them on their roster? Send Holtby back to the minors and have Neuvirth be the back-up? Of course even in that scenario Varlamov would have to be moved.

I really don't see him as part of Washington's long-term plans. And how will he be on another team? Well, the injury history won't disappear and his inconsistent play would only be even more troublesome with a team not as good as Washington. Honestly, I don't have much faith in Varlamov and I hate to say it, but I could quite easily envision him in the KHL within two or three years. I know that is bleak, but if he goes to another team (let's say Florida), signs for a year or two, but gets injured often and plays inconsistently, will Florida (or any NHL team) re-sign him? I doubt it. Then the KHL (like Nabokov, Emery, etc.) would be the next best option for him.
    Last edited by SeaDawg; March 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

This has been my belief for the past 2 years. However, if they can sign him to a decent deal, why would they not? Injuries this year have shown that it's a good thing to have as many good goalies as you can, so I'd be ok with them keeping him.

I really believe he's going to be shopped and asked about at the draft, unless Holtby or Neuv have a Jim Carey-esque meltdown here.
    Yahoo! Keeper League (5 keepers)
    G, A, Pts, +/-, PIM, FW, shots, hits, blocks, W, sv%, GAA, SO

C: Seguin, Toews, Krejci, Bjugstad, Nelson
    RW: Tarasenko, Hayes, Vrbata, Jagr
    LW: E. Kane, JVR, Soderberg, Killorn
    D: OEL, Yandle, Green, Campbell
    G: Halak, Anderson, Hiller