Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - March 14

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Hey Justin,

More a question in terms of next year... With the 3 headed monster in Washington, and me protecting Neuvirth in my keeper league (W, SO)

who will be getting majority of the starts (injuries aside) in Washington next year? Will Neuvy get about half at least, or what do you see happening? I can't see them going with 3 next year, so something's gotta give...

Should I even protect Neuvirth, or should I go for another fwd instead to avoid the whole mess in Washington..

Cheers, much appreciated!

Dutch

p.s. nice one, picking up Emery before you post this article in the Elite league hahaha!
    LOL!! You like that?? Too bad I'm in 10th place and totally not anywhere close to making the playoffs. But I had Turco in 2 leagues and Emery was an UFA in both, so I just did it for the sake of doing it in the GEL.

I stick to my guns with the Caps goaltending situation. Neuvirth will get more of the starts, just like I said he would this year. I do see him getting ~50 games ... but take it with a grain of salt ... it's still March.

I don't think it's as "messy" as it seems. I mean, Varly has had nagging groin and knee injuries, but when healthy, has played great. Same for Neuvirth. Very steady and was amazing in October. Same for Holtby ... played 11 games and has been a total stud. All three goalies are on a good team and playing great ... so I think it's just a matter of what the Capitals decide to do with Varlamov....he's the free agent of the bunch.

Neuvirth is signed. He's been a litle healthier and he's ready to get back into the net right now, just gotta wait for Holtby to lose a game. I still think Varly is the "odd man out" between the three and Neuvirth will be solid next season and play more games than Varly, if he's even still in a Caps uniform.

If Holtby ends up being paired with Neuvy, things change a bit. .. but I can't cross that bridge until we get there.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Couple for you Justin.

Hiller was amazing this year before his ear infection or whatever it is. Do you see him posting similar numbers next year?

Markstrom ETA in a starters role - 2012-13?
    I don't see him posting similar numbers ... I expect them to be slightly less productive ... he has been sensational for 90% of his games this year. I really hope they figure out what's wrong with him. Not sure where you heard the ear infection thing ... where did you get that from?? Just curious because I was tweeting earlier today that I was wondering if that had been ruled out as an issue or not...cuz that can cause people to be slightly dizzy and stuff...it's happened to me before. It throws my equilibrium off for a day or two.

Markstrom's ETA as a starter, yes, would be 2012-13. It's definitely not next year, but I think it's safe to say '12-'13 ... I would venture to say 2013-14 is more likely, however, because it's very tough for a goalie to go straight from two AHL seasons to being an NHL starter. It doesn't happen very often. He might need to play a year behind a veteran before taking over for good. Maybe in 12-13 he plays ~40 games, but becomes a real "starter" the year after that!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I don't see him posting similar numbers ... I expect them to be slightly less productive ... he has been sensational for 90% of his games this year. I really hope they figure out what's wrong with him. Not sure where you heard the ear infection thing ... where did you get that from?? Just curious because I was tweeting earlier today that I was wondering if that had been ruled out as an issue or not...cuz that can cause people to be slightly dizzy and stuff...it's happened to me before. It throws my equilibrium off for a day or two.

Markstrom's ETA as a starter, yes, would be 2012-13. It's definitely not next year, but I think it's safe to say '12-'13 ... I would venture to say 2013-14 is more likely, however, because it's very tough for a goalie to go straight from two AHL seasons to being an NHL starter. It doesn't happen very often. He might need to play a year behind a veteran before taking over for good. Maybe in 12-13 he plays ~40 games, but becomes a real "starter" the year after that!
    I totally got the ear infection thing from your tweet this morning haha.

Thanks for the reply!

Dobber Sports Master

Hey, thanks for doing this:

What are Vokoun's stats gonna be like next year, and where will he play?
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Another quicky - based on this season, has your list of keeper league goalies changed dramatically? And if so, who are your new top 3?