Thread: Sit Backstrom tonight

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Sit Backstrom tonight

Sit or start Niklas Backstrom vs. the Canucks tonight? Like most of you, this is the last week of H2H regular season. I currently sit in the 2nd last playoff spot but don't have a spot clinched yet. My goalies are Bryz, Backstrom, and Bernier (or as I like to call them, the Killer B's ). His goalies are Price, Ellis, and Neuvirth. Goalie categories are Wins, Saves, Sv %, GAA, Shutouts. I should be able to put up better offensive numbers then him, so if I can at least go 2-2 in goalie categories, I should be OK. But I am still considering sitting Backstrom tonight because its the Canucks and the Wild have been playing pretty poorly lately. Can I get some thoughts on this??

Dobber Sports Master

I think you start him: think about it. Let's say the Wild lose 3-1, and the Canucks fire 35 shots. Therefore you get a solid Sv%, average GAA, 32 saves. Not too bad. And considering Bernier likely will not play (and if he does, it'll be 1 game) this week, it would be smart to start Backstrom tonight.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah I would bench him. This isn't a good matchup at all. Phoenix and Minn have 4 games each this week - I am sure you will find enough games to play that are better situations.

I think you will see one game from Bernier this week and LA has a pretty easy schedule.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    I think you start him: think about it. Let's say the Wild lose 3-1, and the Canucks fire 35 shots. Therefore you get a solid Sv%, average GAA, 32 saves. Not too bad. And considering Bernier likely will not play (and if he does, it'll be 1 game) this week, it would be smart to start Backstrom tonight.
    I agree with TK, you have to start him based on the fact that, UNLESS backstrom gets pulled, which is not likely, his SV% and GAA should be half decent. It could make the difference at the end of the week....

And, who knows, maybe he'll steal you the show

I personally don't like playing the benching game, cause somehow it always bites me in the ass (as in benched goalies get shutouts and if I play him next game he gets shelled which averages my GAA even worse...)

I love that the dobber experts are weighing in on this one, but I wish you would all be on the same side. haha. I really appreciate your guy's opinions.

Dobber Sports Stud

play him.. you didnt acquire him at the deadline to sit him down the stretch.. you could have kept the monster for that
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama

Quote Originally Posted by golfguy1672 View Post
    play him.. you didnt acquire him at the deadline to sit him down the stretch.. you could have kept the monster for that
    I did keep Monster on the farm. It was Boucher I traded away for him. Get it right! haha.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I would start him as well. Also if this helps you out:

Jonathan Bernier is expected to start for the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday.
    There was a lot of speculation that Bernier would give Jon Quick a run for his money this season and while that never happened, Bernier's rookie season can still be looked at in a positive light. He has a solid 2.60 GAA and .907 save percentage in 22 games in 2010-11.

Courtesy of Rotoworld.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Pro

Here are the factors I consider:

1) Vancouver at 229 goals for is the highest scoring team in the league
    2) Vancouver's home record: 23-7-5 (good for 1st in the league)

If there ever was a time to sit a goalie it would be now in my opinion. As mentioned above, Bernier plays tomorrow so I'd definitely roll him against a generally low-scoring Nashville team, then I'd for sure play Bryz@Cgy, Bryz@Edm, Bacsktrom vs Cls and then check out the other matchups based on whether you're up or down in the goalie categories.

Keep in mind though, I'm usually pretty conservative when it comes to my goalie starts, so if you're more run and gun then feel free to start him especially since it's early in the week and even if he does put up a stinker points can be made up, but personally, I'd keep him on the bench and take advantage of the more ideal matchups throughout the course of the week. Hope this helps!
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Pro

So what did you end up doing? Hopefully you sat him!
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Master

ohhh crap. Sorry oiler! Didn't know he'd let in 3 on 13! hopefully he gets some saves.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

I played him. Obviously it ended up being the wrong choice. But it could have been way worse, 3-0 after the first. But its only Tuesday now and I have Bryzer and Bernier going to help me bounce back tonight. Positive thoughts!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BC Oiler View Post
    I played him. Obviously it ended up being the wrong choice. But it could have been way worse, 3-0 after the first. But its only Tuesday now and I have Bryzer and Bernier going to help me bounce back tonight. Positive thoughts!!!
    sorry for giving you the bad rep, but it's always an average anyway... it may help you in the save category down the week...

Also, hate to burst your bubble, but Bernier is gonna get lit up tonight I hope ! GO PREDS GO