Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Devils

The Magnificent One

Monday morning practice update. With the devils cutting the roster a bit they had Sunday off. Today there will be 2 practice teams. The first unit is very interesting and in my mind this might just be opening night roster with a few tweaks. Maybe more in lines but this could be the roster we will see:

Forwards:
    Parise-Elias-sykora
    Kovalchuk-josefson-palmieri
    Tedenby-henrique-Clarkson
    Boulton-stekel-pelly

Defense:
    Greene-larsson
    Volchenkov-stralman
    Tallinder-fayne
    Fraser

Goalies:
    Brodeur
    Hedberg

To note salander and zuburs were out with lower body injuries but minor. So factor they will make the roster meaning 1-2 need to be cut. No insight to who but on offense I think pelly or henrique. Zubu can play center or winger. I think also clarkson moved to top line and sykora to third line to mentor the youth line.

On defense no idea so it's Antibes guess. Also sykora and stralman are on camp Tryouts and no contract yet.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

The Magnificent One

iPhone issues: should read on defense its anyones guess.
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Ninja

God, I can't believe Sykora is actually threatening for the top line RW spot..its been a couple of days now with that line practicing together. I asked Tom Gulitti whether he thought Sykora is a legitimate threat to take that RW slot or whether he would likely be the victim of the 'juggling of lines' that Deboer referred to and he replied:

"TGfireandice
    I think he'll get a look there in one of these preseason games coming up, but it's not definite he'll play there or be on the team even, yet"

(Gulitti is great btw, I've asked him questions twice now and he's responded within three minutes both times - @TGFireandice)
    I think I'm just getting too anxious right now since I own Tedenby and Clarkson in two seperate leagues and both are getting the shaft in this scenario lol.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Great One

Any insight on Josefson? I know he seems to have solidified a top six spot but Im not sure what his offensive potential is. My research is showing that hes being touted as a two way, all situations type of player that might not see the offense right away. That being said- you'd have to think a guy playing with Kovy has some upside this year.

Whats a reasonable expectation for this season? Keeper value?

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Any insight on Josefson? I know he seems to have solidified a top six spot but Im not sure what his offensive potential is. My research is showing that hes being touted as a two way, all situations type of player that might not see the offense right away. That being said- you'd have to think a guy playing with Kovy has some upside this year.

Whats a reasonable expectation for this season? Keeper value?

From what I hear and read he is more of a two way center. Very strong on defense and better than his yrs will show. but he is also deemed to be a future top 6 player. On the devils he will be second line center as long as he can find chemistry with kovy. If he can't I think the devils will try henrique with kovy also. Henrique from I gather has higher upside in points but josefson is further along in his development. 2nd line is his spot to lose.
    I've herd he has 70 point upside from a few sources. And I he can stick with kovy and get some pp time I don't see why he couldn't reach that. He has a good shot but he is a playmaker and a pass first tyPe of player.

I like him for 50+ this yr, if he sticks with kovy.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Newper, do you see Larsson sticking with the team and possibly even getting significant PP time in the upcoming season?

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Newper, do you see Larsson sticking with the team and possibly even getting significant PP time in the upcoming season?
    Not to step on anyone's toes or anything, but I absolutely believe Larsson will play in NJ all year and I think he'll get PP time most of the year. The PP1 pairing will most likely be Kovalchuk and Greene and Larsson will man the PP2 unit, but Larsson saw plenty of PP1 time with Kovalchuk in the preseason. He should play a big role this year.
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bam, not only does Larsson end up on PP1 right out the the gates but so does David Clarkson.

TGfireandice Tom Gulitti
    First power-play unit guys doing some work before practice with coaches: Parise, Elias, Clarkson up front, Larsson, Kovaldhuk on pts.
    I'm pretty excited to see what that PP can do.

The Magnificent One

Well got busy so couldn't make my full post but the season is starting tonight!.

Looks like the devils have announced there 23 man roster. For all those asking or hoping stralman is still practicing with the team but still doesn't have a contract and he is not listed on the 23 man roster (24 with zajac on IR).

As mentioned above PP1 seems to be Elias, parise, clarkson, kovy, larsson. Not much of a shock on 4/5 of the guys. I would have guessed Greene would be there instead of larsson but that's why I'm not the coach lol. I think we will see a rotation of larsson and Greene on that unit for atleast half the season. Hard to toss a rookie out into that situation without mistakes.

Practice lines for last 2 days:
    Parise-Elias-sykora
    Kovy-zubrus-palmieri
    Henrique-josefson-clarkson
    Boulton-mills-Tedenby
    Janssen/pelly - extras

Greene-larsson
    Tallinder-fayne
    Salvador-volchenkov
    Fraser-stralman--unsigned

I expect these lines to be shifted early on but we will see. I think we will see sykora and clarkson swapping at times. If clarky can show strong play on the pp look for him to be rewarded with topline pairings.

Also interesting was henrique on LW. And zubrus with kovy. Again expect that to change. Josefson and kovy looked great together early in camp and in games so I expect them to be together.

I guess the odd man out is Tedenby in this situation so all hope something gives. He has more upside than palmieri but they like palmieri with kovy so Tedenby is knocked out of top 6 but a great option for the devils on the 4th line. Hope for clarky to move to #1 line with sykora going to 4th and Tedenby to 3rd if you own him in any leagues.

Start season already. Oh and brodeur looks focused and determined this season!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yea, seemed odd they split up Josefson and Kovy.

Kovy - Larsson on the point is going to be sick.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Well, I guess that answers that question.

RETIRED

The Magnificent One

Well game 1 played and a big fat loss not to mention a shutout. The flyers were all over the devils. He devils managed 20 shits against bryz. Just not goin to cut it.

As a review I only saw the 3rd period. The one they fell apart in. Apparently from game post notes and reviews he first 2 periods were actually decent. The parise-Elias-sykora combo had a few good chances. And from replays looks like kovy had one or 2 good chances but couldn't get it in net.

Way too many breakaways against the devils in this one. Brodeur ofcourse held them in. Despite letting in 3 goals he was the best devil out there. In the 3rd I saw alot of line combos:

Elias-parise-sykora, the saw Elias-parise-kovy then to end the game Elias-parise-clarkson.

So you can see they are still trying to find that right mix. As the coach said "we just were at game speed tonight" it's back to the drawing board and hope for better next game. Now remember new coach will need a learning curve.

To point out: larsson highest toi for a dman and kovy highest toi for everyone.
    Kovy with a terrible -3. That will balance out soon enough.
    The power play for the devils looked decent. Moved the puck well.
    Last edited by newper114; October 9, 2011 at 7:59 AM.

The Magnificent One

Can't edit bc on iPhone and can't get to the bottom of the post but the coach quote should say."We just weren't at game speed"

Dobber Sports Ninja

Couple of notes for the Devils today:

Kinkaid officially re-called, seems like Brodeur may not be over his injury after all. Lou says things with Brodeur are "status quo"

Shuffle between lines 1 and 3. Zubrus is now centering Elias and Parise and Sykora has been bumped to the third line with Clarkson and Tedenby.

The Great One

Ok so Josefson out with a destroyed clavicle any insight on the call up- Henrique?? Lol Im in a very deep league here- any insight greatly appreciated!!!!