Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Devils

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: New Jersey Devils

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    Zacha is the wild card. Put with line 3 and it becomes a big shutdown line with some scoring ability. Or put him on line two with Hughes and see if any connection happens and they spark the offense for the former 6th overall. OR he could be out on the 4th line center roll for all we know.
    I agree with that. Zacha Im still waiting on him for that Scheifele 2.0 potential.. who knows. He is better defensive player now and knows how to use his big frame but his offence and that finnishing touch aren't there yet.
    I would like the Devils to try him as a Hughes wing and if that doesnt workout then put him on line 3 with Zajac
    or worst case like you said - centering the 4th line.

This is an interesting post. I have seen a handful of combos of devils lines. I’ll have to read the article to see the logic.
    - they are talking about the new additions to the team and the possible young guns making the team(boqvist, smith..)
    its not in depth analysis of the lineups.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Pro

Some saying he will get bumped to PP2 already in favor of Hughes and Simmonds but not sure I believe that will happen.

So many changes for the devils this year who knows.

I see top unit ultimately being: hall, Hughes, Hischier, palms, Subban. Yes players will get shifted at different times but palms has such a big blast and he Is just all over the place fighting for the puck I like him on top unit.

Then on EV playing 2nd or 1st line doesn’t matter anymore. I actually like him better with Hughes than hall-Hischier
    After watching how Hynes sets up his PP's I disagree here. While it would make sense to put Hughes and Hischer on it, Hynes has yet to put Hischer on the 1PP (until the end of last season when everyone was hurt).

Hynes loves size in front of the net so I see Simmonds getting that position unless he is terrible in that role all of a sudden. Hall and Palmieri will stay on PP1 hopefully not on their off-handedness like they were last year at times.

Hynes also LOVES Travis Zajac and how he can win draws, so he will likely stay on PP1 in the high-slot position (sadly), and then it will likely be Subban on 1PP.

I see it set up as:
    Simmonds
    Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
    Subban

Leaving Hughes and Hischer on 2PP. I hope Zacha can force his way in to the top 6 too
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    What are Devils fans thoughts on Palmieri this season, and his offensive outlook with Hughes, Subban, and Simmonds in the mix potentially for PP1 minutes?
    I think Palms will be a stud this upcoming season. He is by far the Devils best RW and I can't see them ''wasting'' his potential on the 2nd PP unit unless they spread the talant in two good PP units because I think they have the talent to do it now. Palmieri should start the year on the line with Hischier and Hall but with so many options righ now who knows.
    Like the giant newper114 said, Palmieri may end up playing better next to Hughes.

Some saying he will get bumped to PP2 already in favor of Hughes and Simmonds but not sure I believe that will happen.

So many changes for the devils this year who knows.

I see top unit ultimately being: hall, Hughes, Hischier, palms, Subban. Yes players will get shifted at different times but palms has such a big blast and he Is just all over the place fighting for the puck I like him on top unit.

Then on EV playing 2nd or 1st line doesn’t matter anymore. I actually like him better with Hughes than hall-Hischier
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    After watching how Hynes sets up his PP's I disagree here. While it would make sense to put Hughes and Hischer on it, Hynes has yet to put Hischer on the 1PP (until the end of last season when everyone was hurt).

Hynes loves size in front of the net so I see Simmonds getting that position unless he is terrible in that role all of a sudden. Hall and Palmieri will stay on PP1 hopefully not on their off-handedness like they were last year at times.

Hynes also LOVES Travis Zajac and how he can win draws, so he will likely stay on PP1 in the high-slot position (sadly), and then it will likely be Subban on 1PP.

I see it set up as:
    Simmonds
    Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
    Subban

Leaving Hughes and Hischer on 2PP. I hope Zacha can force his way in to the top 6 too
    Simmonds will be basically a replacement of Boyle.

Simmonds
    Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
    Subban

Hughes-Hischier- and two of Zacha/Bratt/Wood/Boqvist
    Ty Smith/Butcher
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Not to diverge off topic, but I think Jersey has a really good shot to sign Hall. Adding Subban and Hughes in one offseason is a huge, huge deal for that franchise. With guys like Boqvist and Ty Smith pretty close to making NHL impacts, they seem like a team that's definitely on the rise. I'd be surprised if after this season Hall doesn't want to be a part of what's happening there. The chance to play long-term alongside someone like Hughes will be pretty tempting, and they will back up the Brinks truck for him.

I think Jersey has a really good shot to sign Hall
    I hope you are right. Back in January/February this year I had this weird feeling that Hall is going to another team. I was hoping back then for the good luck in the lottery by knowing that if the Devils wins the 1st overall pick(Hughes) that would increase the chances for resighning Hall tremendously. Not only that but the Subban trade happened. All of a sudden New Jersey became a destination for player that wants to win. But still, why Hall is ''taking his time'' what exactly he is waiting for?

Adding Subban and Hughes in one offseason is a huge, huge deal for that franchise. With guys like Boqvist and Ty Smith pretty close to making NHL impacts, they seem like a team that's definitely on the rise.
    Thats exactly it. If for some reason he had his mind set before the draft lottary that he wants to leave and has a particular destination in mind, that would be mindblowing to me. Just the way hes talking... for some reason he seems unhappy but is just not ready to tell the big news..Maybe thats just in my head

I'd be surprised if after this season Hall doesn't want to be a part of what's happening there. The chance to play long-term alongside someone like Hughes will be pretty tempting, and they will back up the Brinks truck for him.
    Thats make me think of Zach Parise's situation.. I know its a different GM and all but I dont like it if all goes to next summer. It still depends of how the team will play this upcoming season of course. Are all the new pieces gonna click together and will they make the playoffs. But I'm sure that Shero will want to know about Halls decision as late as the deadline.

the Brinks truck - hahah I had to google that. Didnt know what are you talking about
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    Simmonds will be basically a replacement of Boyle.

Simmonds
    Hall-Zajac-Palmieri
    Subban

Hughes-Hischier- and two of Zacha/Bratt/Wood/Boqvist
    Ty Smith/Butcher
    You had some really interesting thoughts about the NJ powerplay units, and I was kinda hoping more people would discuss this one. I honestly have no idea what they're going to do, especially with Simmonds in the mix now. I'd think Hall, Subban, and trigger man Palmieri are the only locks but I'd have to think Hughes is going to be involved somehow. His skating and vision are just too special not to utilize with your other elite offensive talents. I could see Hischier falling off the top unit, but it's all just speculation right now.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

You had some really interesting thoughts about the NJ powerplay units, and I was kinda hoping more people would discuss this one. I honestly have no idea what they're going to do, especially with Simmonds in the mix now. I'd think Hall, Subban, and trigger man Palmieri are the only locks but I'd have to think Hughes is going to be involved somehow. His skating and vision are just too special not to utilize with your other elite offensive talents. I could see Hischier falling off the top unit, but it's all just speculation right now.
    I agree. They used Zajac but they didnt have Hughes. Their options were limited. Like you, I just can't see the Devils not using the talent of Hughes on the powerplay. IF i have to bet now I would say that Hughes will be on the first PP unit with Hall, Simmonds, Subban and Palmieri.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Giant

I agree. They used Zajac but they didnt have Hughes. Their options were limited. Like you, I just can't see the Devils not using the talent of Hughes on the powerplay. IF i have to bet now I would say that Hughes will be on the first PP unit with Hall, Simmonds, Subban and Palmieri.
    Do you think Hughes is ready to take high leverage faceoffs right off the bat in the NHL? That's an interesting group, but I could see Simmonds being left off in favor of someone like Zajac for that reason.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Do you think Hughes is ready to take high leverage faceoffs right off the bat in the NHL? That's an interesting group, but I could see Simmonds being left off in favor of someone like Zajac for that reason.
    Im not that familiar with Highes game to be honest. Don't know how good he is at the dot either but I assume like the most rookies he will struggle there in his first season. Not sure even if thats the case, are they still gonna let him take high leverage faceoffs. I guess Zajac will be there as a menthor in that regard.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Veteran

Now with Nikita Gusev on the team it will be even harder to predict the powerplay combos. Great problem to have Maaan what a summer is being so far for the Devils.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Stud

Now with Nikita Gusev on the team it will be even harder to predict the powerplay combos. Great problem to have Maaan what a summer is being so far for the Devils.
    Couldn't agree more. What a summer for Shero. And yeah - PP and line combos are definitely up in the air right now.

Here's my 2c on how I'm putting them down for now:

EV
    Hall-Nico-Palms
    Gusev-Hughes-Simmonds
    Wood-Zacha-Bratt
    Coleman-Zajac-Rooney/Bast/McL/Seney

Not that Zaj's line is actually L4 - just the mixing I could see netting out. I was (rightfully) debated in the Simmonds thread for believing he'll be with Hughes due to the speed discrepancy... but, at least to start, I think he's the perfect 3rd wheel on that line. Wood/Zacha/Bratt would be that matchup challenge going up against bottom-pair Ds, and I love how their 3 skill sets complement each other. Just a complete line imo. Zaj/Cole get all the D zone starts, Hughes line all the O-zone.

PP1
    Simmonds
    Hall-Zajac-Gusev
    Subban
    (Agree with Rodgort that Hynes has a "thing" with Zaj being PP1 bumper - and while I obv think Palms is better player here, they will want at least 1C out there to win the draw, so unless Nico/Hughes are up, I think Zaj stays for now.)

PP2
    Wood/Zacha
    Hughes-Palms-Nico
    Butch

That's 4 deep EV lines and 2 solid PP's imo. What a 180 from what was being rostered a few months ago...
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Administrator

I'd rather see Simmonds limited in a bottom-six role at EV and then featured heavily on PP1

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Giant

I guess anything is possible, but I am starting to get the feeling that the Devils will split time between two 1a-1b PP units:

Simmonds
    Palmieri-Zajac-Hall
    Subban

Zacha/Coleman/Wood
    Gusev-Hischier-Hughes
    Butcher

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Couldn't agree more. What a summer for Shero. And yeah - PP and line combos are definitely up in the air right now.

Here's my 2c on how I'm putting them down for now:

EV
    Hall-Nico-Palms
    Gusev-Hughes-Simmonds
    Wood-Zacha-Bratt

Not that Zaj's line is actually L4 - just the mixing I could see netting out. I was (rightfully) debated in the Simmonds thread for believing he'll be with Hughes due to the speed discrepancy... but, at least to start, I think he's the perfect 3rd wheel on that line. Wood/Zacha/Bratt would be that matchup challenge going up against bottom-pair Ds, and I love how their 3 skill sets complement each other. Just a complete line imo. Zaj/Cole get all the D zone starts, Hughes line all the O-zone.

PP1
    Simmonds
    Hall-Zajac-Gusev
    Subban
    (Agree with Rodgort that Hynes has a "thing" with Zaj being PP1 bumper - and while I obv think Palms is better player here, they will want at least 1C out there to win the draw, so unless Nico/Hughes are up, I think Zaj stays for now.)

PP2
    Wood/Zacha
    Hughes-Palms-Nico
    Butch

That's 4 deep EV lines and 2 solid PP's imo. What a 180 from what was being rostered a few months ago...
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd rather see Simmonds limited in a bottom-six role at EV and then featured heavily on PP1
    I agree that at least to start the year Simmonds would be the perfect 3th wheel next to Jack. With so many possible options now the line combos are definitely hard to predict.

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    EV
    Hall-Nico-Palms
    Gusev-Hughes-Simmonds
    Wood-Zacha-Bratt
    Interesting thoughts about that 3th line. But you are forgeting one guy - Boqvist I has teh potential to crack the starting lines for sure.

What about something like this:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
    Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
    Wood-Zajac-Coleman
    Boqvist-Zacha-Simmonds

Powerplays:
    They could decide to have 1a-1b PP units like mounD said or run the first unit with Hall, Hughes, Palmieri, Simmonds and Subban.

They will figure it out. The main concern remains the defence. The goaltending is also a questin mark.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree that at least to start the year Simmonds would be the perfect 3th wheel next to Jack. With so many possible options now the line combos are definitely hard to predict.

Interesting thoughts about that 3th line. But you are forgeting one guy - Boqvist I has teh potential to crack the starting lines for sure.

What about something like this:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
    Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
    Wood-Zajac-Coleman
    Boqvist-Zacha-Simmonds

Powerplays:
    They could decide to have 1a-1b PP units like mounD said or run the first unit with Hall, Hughes, Palmieri, Simmonds and Subban.

They will figure it out. The main concern remains the defence. The goaltending is also a questin mark.
    You're right about missing on Boq. Tbh despite his massive upside, I really do think he'd be best served playing a ton of minutes in the A (or SHL as per his contract out).

That said - if you construct the lines as you have JD, with Boq-Zacha-Simm, I think you really are maximizing the talent across all 4 lines. +1.

As for G - I'm secretly not very worried at all about it. I think Schneids has a strong rebound year after more time to heal (think I remember luongo stating how it took a year-plus for him to get back to his old self after that kind of surgery). I don't expect the dominance Cory used to show, but above-average tending, with strong (albeit maybe inconsistent) back up starts from Blackwood (who has big talent too in my eyes). It may not be league-besting, but I think it'll be just fine.

As for D - agree it's a bigger question mark and am intrigued to see what Hynes does here.

To me it looks like they're still short a legit top 4 D until T.Smith is more developed.

I'm okay with running Greene-Severson and Butcher-Vatanen as your 2-3 pairs... but that leaves PK being with... Mueller? on the top pair? Carrick? Yes you could move Vats to his off-hand and play him with PK, but I think Butch needs a steady partner to maximize his abilities too.

I'm good with Mueller-PK as a pair in general, although with MM's minutes limited, with a steady stay-at-home guy and puck carrying PK... similar to Greene-Sevs. It also allows a Butch-Vats pairing... which means no weak D pairing for opponents to thrive on.

My guess is until Smith is ready, we're looking at a somewhat fluid top 6 of pairings, with Carrick sprinkled in, where the primary pairings get swapped in-game so everyone nets out with appropriate minutes. Here's my guess:

Greene-Severson
    Mueller-PK
    Butcher-Vatanen
    Carrick

What are you guys' thoughts/speculations?
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji