Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Devils

The Magnificent One

For a little offseason post. read an interview on Fire&Ice with LOU and as much as nothing was said alot was said. the 2 interesting things were this:

1) They are looking to keep Greene and Parise (see article link below).
    2) The youngsters might be looking at full time in the nhl next season. while he didnt like them being rushed he feels they are here to stay. very interesting what he says about this:

If there was a positive to the way your season went, would it be the amount of time young players such as Mattias Tedenby, Jacob Josefson, Mark Fayne and Nick Palmieri got to play at the NHL level under Jacques Lemaire?
    “I never draw a positive out of a negative, but there’s no question they were given opportunities, certainly premature. I would have never felt any different (about them) if they stayed in the minors and played longer because I always feel that is the best thing for them as far as their development. They were rushed and they could have been hurt as much as helped. In their cases, their maturity showed and it certainly fast forwarded their progress, but I still always think that it’s better to come up too late than too soon under all circumstances. But they handled it very well.”

Do you think it did help or is it too early to tell?
    “Too early to tell. It should have helped. There’s no question right now that they’ve shown bright spots and shown that they can play, but I’m very cautiously optimistic about it because of their mental approach after being here. The second year is tough and how they approach getting ready for the second year is going to play a major role.”

here is the link to the rest of it: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...le_wants_to_r/
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

The Magnificent One

should probably make a post about this on its own but updating my section is always fun.

So no news yet from the summer plans but it seems like alot of talk of Hitchcock wanting to coach the devils and alot of talk about how he will fit into the system. but make note that no conversation (atleast reported) has taken place between the 2. He might be good for the system and help the devils but ofcourse not good as we all know for fantasy aspect.

Make also more note that I wont be worried about elias, kovy, parise and so on putting up good to great numbers. teams still need to score, and need to get wins. the devils wont win every game 1-0. there will be alot of 3+ goals games. so yeah the points will come so dont panik just yet.

in an article on FIre and Ice today they interviewed Zajac. now this is where I am a bit concerned and anyone who has zajac might be. apparently hitchock coached zajac in the worlds and used him on the checking line:

"Hitchcock explained the role to Zajac that he wanted him to play before the start of the tournament.
    He wanted me to be the guy to kill penalties and take faceoffs and play against other team’s top lines,” Zajac said. “That was just the role he wanted me to play. He thought I’d be good at it. So, I kind of just took it and ran with it.”

That is where i have a small issue. if he goes and plays that role as a devil not sure what that means to the parise/zajac line combo. but then agian as a devil his role is most likely different. so just beware. but he did have 67% win percentage in FW so that is a good sign if you have FW in your league.

Another interesting point in this article was what zajac said about Hithcock and coaching youngsters:

“I honestly don’t know what Lou is looking for or ownership is looking for, but I think he’s a guy that could fit with the team,” Zajac said. “He was pretty good with the young guys there. We’re going to be a young team with good skill with those young guys that are coming up and are going to be with the team for a while, so any coach we get next year is going to be a guy who is going to be around for a while and grow with this team.”

Interesting ofcourse based on the fact that we have herd all the bad rep he has gotten with filatov and in CLB with youngsters. so who knows just thought it was interesting.

- Zajac also mentioned that he knows parise wants to be a devil and that he thinks they will work it out and parise will be with the team.

- alot of talk abotu hedberg and what his role and if that will be with the team. talk of resigning him but he will want 1.5mil atleast bc he wants job security as he will most likely move his family whereever he is. so not sure the devils have that in the budget. if they were smart they would just use frazee as the backup and hope he can step up to the challange.

I think that is all for now. again no updates as managment has seen to taken the playoffs off. talks will start soon i am sure.
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Hey, newper.....is Taormina full time in 2011-12?

Thanks, man
    @SmittysRant

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Hey, newper.....is Taormina full time in 2011-12?

Thanks, man
    hey sorry it took me so long to respond. been hectic these last few days. i will have to say that he will start off as a full timer. cant say he will last the whole season. he will need to prove himself to stay. i know all players are like that but more so in his case. he had a great AHL 2 seasons ago putting up something like 50 points. he is a puck moving dman and i think the devils were hoping to use him on the PP. but with his injuries this year it derailed his development. It will come down to if the devils resign Greene or not. To me greene is the perfect fit on the PP but this past season wasnt proof of that.

If greene can find his game again we could potentially see a greene/taormina first PP unit. i think the 4 forward and 1 dman approach was a bad one last season. 2 dmen are better with kovy roaming around to get that blaster of a shot.

I dont see the devils making any big moves on defense bc of tight cap restraints. so look for the youngsters to get a shot to prove themselves.

going to add i dont see a ton of points from him though. if all things can fall into place i would say someplace in the 30s.

Cool, thanks, newper. I have him in a pts only, dynasty league w/ no farm so I was thinking of dropping him for a higher end prospect - forward or d-man.

Appreciate the feedback....
    @SmittysRant

The Magnificent One

this article is a few months old so nothing new but it was news to me so i am posting it. this is not to open up to a hate brodeur or you are over the hill post. he is still a world class goalie and this article shows that he is willing to know when his end is.

just thought it interesting. to sum up the article:

If there is a lockout at the end of next season brodeur might be looking to hang up his skates as apposed to takign the year off and then coming back. because as he says at his age a year off will not be a good thing for him.

sad to see this day come but as a devil fan and fantasy fan we all knew it would come. BUT if no lockout then who knows maybe he signs a 2 year deal and then hangs it up once he knows someone is in place to take over for him because thats what it is hinting at:

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...y_looming.html

The Magnificent One

Interested to hear your thoughts dobbernation. Not much back and forth in this section as i know the devils dont scream fantasy worthy players but I am curious to hear some of your thoughts on what the devils need to do in the offseason:

We all know the devils didnt have the best 2010 season but they had a promising second half. the outlook is good. this coming year the devils still have some ugly contracts but they also have alot of youngsters to add to there mix.

2011-2012 Caphits per capgeek.com and potential lineups:
    Forwards: 11 signed / 2 RFA / 1 UFA
    Defense: 5 signed / 4 RFA / 2 UFA
    Goalies: 1 signed / 1 UFA

They have 17 players signed with a cap hit of 52mil if the cap as projected hits 62mil than the devils will have 10mil to spend. That is some breathing room. The devils arent afraid to spend the max so this gives a bit of room to resign parise, Taormina, and hopefully in my eyes greene. It iwll be tight but you never know.

The devils dont have much in the system as in the need of call ups (due in large part to the youngsters already being on the roster from last years tight cap: Palmieri, tedenby, josefson). They do have Leblond to add energy and might on the 4th line if they choose not to keep pelley or resign mair. he is a big PIM guy. in the minors over 300 last season. they can use urbom on defense. he might still be a season away from the big time but still a pretty big name being thrown around as the future dman in NJ. AND they also have potential in Frazee to step up as backup this season if they dont resign Hedberg.

- Alot of talk about buying out players or looking to trade a few. The issue is we are stuck with rolston's contract as he is over 35. hopefully they can work some trade to unload that contract. if need be bring back a portion of the contract but atleast look to clear 2mil off and then they will be in great shape.

- Clarkson and white are other names being thrown around about being bought out or looking to be traded. WHite harder to trade as he is older and not the same. Clarkson to me would be a big mistake to trade. this past year they didnt use him properly. he needs to be on that top line with zajac and parise. he opens the ice for them to work there magic.

- Lets also not forget the big key factor going into next season: 4th overall pick. this will be huge for the devils. if they can get a star here it will mean the future for NJ. the question ofcourse is do they go topnotch forward or topnotch Dman. either way 4th overall will land them a potential building block in any position.

Anyway just some thoughts... feel free to add yours. nothing in order here. just throwing out my random thoughts, feel free to do the same.

The Magnificent One

posted this link in the nhl combine thread but felt like it should be posted here also as it was written by a devil blogger

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...uting_combine/

the interesting point about this is this part:

- Landeskog, Huberdeau and Hamilton confirmed that they are among those invited to do further physical testing and meetings with the Devils after the NHL combine concludes on Saturday. Larsson, Couturier and Nugent-Hopkins had no knowledge of any further testing with any teams, but it’s possible they just hadn’t been told yet. Landeskog said he will also be doing further testing with Ottawa.

just maybe leads some hint to who the devils are targeting. eventhough there has been alot of talk about the devils taking couturier but maybe they will be invited at a later point. the devils might be thinking that they wont get hopkins and larsson so one of those first 3 are the ones they want.

also to note in the article they have huberdeau and landeskog as LW and LW,C positions. could the devils be looking for a winger? i would think if anything they need a center, or RW not LW as they have parise (if signed) and kovy already on that side.

ofcourse bottom line devils probably need a dman but a top notch forward like in fantasy world is just too hard to pass up.

Banned

Dobber Sports Monster

So, it seems its DeBoer as new coach???

Dobber Sports Stud

Doc Emrick leaving the Devils broadcasting
    http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569804
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Sophomore

As a Devils' follower - what is the scoop on Parise? I have him on my roster as one of my 5 keepers, but haven't followed his situation too much this summer.

Will he be a Devil next year?
    If he is, will he be a 2nd liner behind Kovy?
    If he is, will he play with Zajac?

If not, will they trade him?
    If not, has there been rumblings about interested teams?
    H2H, 12 Teams, 4 Keepers
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6BN
    G, A, P, SHP, PPP, +/-, SOG, GWG, W, SV, GA, SHO

Logan Couture, Ben Bishop, Braden Holtby, Henrik Lundqvist

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by *Taps!* View Post
    As a Devils' follower - what is the scoop on Parise? I have him on my roster as one of my 5 keepers, but haven't followed his situation too much this summer.

If he is, will he play with Zajac?

If not, will they trade him?

Thanks Taps for the question. I will address it all here.

I am sorry for not posting much latley been a hectic summer. As dobber can tell you all and im sure most of you also but having your first child changes your life and sometimes takes you away from the most important thing FANTASY HOCKEY.

Back to the devils lol. It's been a relativley quiet offseason and ofcourse alot of people have ranked on the devils for not doing anything big this summer. The problem with that is the devils didn't need to do anything big this summer. The plan for the devils this summer were a few things:

1) Draft 4th overall.
    -That took alot as there were so many back and forths and different ideas being thrown around. DO you go for the franchise dman(Larsson), the scoring offensive dman(hamilton, Murphy), the powerhouse offense center they need (coutuier), Trading down, or something/someone else.
    - Looks like in the end whatever was talked about and thrown back and forth i dont think there was much question about trading this pick. In the end they went with Larsson the franchise dman. one being compared to scott stevens in that respect. This was a great draft and a great later signing to an entry level contract with a cap hit under 1mil. GREAT work by the devils and great promise from larsson to show he just wants to play the game.
    - not sure we will see larsson on the devils this season but you never know. reports are he is looking good in camp but the devils usually like to see there prospects develop so maybe 2 seasons would be more like it. he wont be rushed but he seems close to being ready to play.

2) Resinging Players: Andy Greene.
    - He to me was the main focus this summer. the devils needed to improve there defense and while most think greene isnt that guy 2 seasons ago he was. I think the devils as a whole fell apart last season (defense mainly) but this season is a new one. they all have another year under there belt and should come together. I think greene runs the powerplay for now and he should be given the chance as he showed 2 seasons ago that he could produce if given the chance. this season the devils ran with 5 offensmen on the PP. i dont like that and hope it wont continue.

3) Improved offense: they brought in cam janssen and boulton. nothing AWESOME but good depth signings to add power and grit. these guys might pump down some rookies who might have had a shot at playing a few games here and there but a 4th line power line is always good to have. Now alot of people think this spells the end to clarkson as he is a similar power player but i think not. i think he will get a good shot this season to shine. espcially with the new coach who had him in the juniors and coached him to successful seasons. Its possible we might see a parise/zajac/clarkson line like i have been hoping for.

4) Getting a new coach:
    - Well the devils finally announced the new coach, Pete DeBoer, former florida panthers coach. This was a big WHAT to most people i think. but after reading fire and ice blog and some other blogs and info on this guy all things look good. the devils should be much improved. he has some background with some of the players (clarkson, zajac, and i forget who else). The key to note here is that he has a similar style to Brent Sutter. who the devils did pretty well offensivly under. this could be a good sign for things to come.
    - to make note that was parise's best year; under sutter. so that could only be a good thing. lets also point out that he had a pretty good record in Florida with the team they had (not saying anything bad about them).

5) Parise.
    - still not taken care of but with all the other things crossed off the list he is next. his hearing is set for early august so all signs are pointing to something being worked out before that. Parise says they havent talked much. specifics havent been thrown around but they both want to sign longterm deals. they both seem to be on the same page. I expect to see him signed by the end of next week (I HOPE LOL).

Now to answer taps questions:

-YES if anything they go to arbitration and do a one yr deal. The devils are not walking away from any deal that is set forward.
    - NO and YES. i dont see the devils as being a 1 or 2 line. its more of those 1a/1b lines. hard to predict lines as still some moving pieces and a new coach but i would like to see the lines looking like this:
    Parise-Zajac-clarkson
    Kovy-Jofsefen-palmieri
    How they shake out is anyones guess. elias could be shifted to center and play with kovy or a trade of some sort can happen and the devils bring in a center to play with kovy. the youngsters showed they have life in them and could step up but a more established center for kovy would be nice.
    -Havent herd much about other teams offering anything or talking about it. bc now that he goes to arbitration he is locked in to be with the devils. so unless the devils think its way too much money then he is a devil. they could reject the offer and walk away which i find it hard for them to do or they could trade him but not sure they are thinking that now. they perfer to use him for the season and see if they can get an extension then or bolster his trade value.

6) dump salary:
    - so this is the failure of the summer. we all we hoping for the devils to move rolston but ofcourse that didnt happen yet. too big of a contract, too old and just not that effective anymore. he had a nice run last season but yeah just not the player he was anymore. i think the devils are stuck with him and will ride him on a 3rd line for the season. if injuries happen or things go wrong maybe they use him on the PP again or shift him on different lines. but in the end his salary comes off next yr and then the devils will be in much better shape.

again sorry for the lack of repsonses. if you have any devils questions fire away. cant wait for next season.
    Last edited by newper114; July 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM.

Banned

Dobber Sports Stud

TGfireandice Tom Gulitti
    Can confirm reports that the Devils avoided arbitration with D Mark Fraser and signed him to a one-year deal for $550,000.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau