Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Devils

Dobber Sports Sage

THoughts on Corrente? I have this guy stashed away as a PIM guy I can plug in at a time of need... what's your take on his ability to make the starting roster and stick there?
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Wondering what your take is on Zalewski, 24 yr old C/LW. He was slowly moving up the Sharks depth chart, but was not getting a shot, then minor trade to the Devils and started getting 1st line time in Albany and produced results there. Now resigned a cheap two year 2-way deal. With NJ's tight cap situation, will he get a shot or be a career AHLer?
    ZFHL Stanley Cup Champ 2014

P Sharp - N Backstrom - P Marleau
    D Perron - A Tanguay - M Hossa
    J Williams - C Soderberg - J Abdelkader
    K Clifford - B Pirri - R Clune

D Keith - J Schultz
    B Dillon - S Salo
    V Bartley - R Ellis

C Price

C Adams, M Latta, K Ramo

Farm: Nylander, Goldobin, Anton Karlsson, S Griffith, M Hrivlik, J Marchessault, S Wilson, T Blugers, B Hart, K, Agostino, S Elliott, C Ruhwedel, J Klingberg, A Sergeev, H Tommernes, S Brittain, ...

30 team salary cap with 30 NHL roster & 30 prospects plus unsigned prospects = ZFHL also (DTDL and Scfhl2)

Quote Originally Posted by uofmehockey View Post
    Wondering what your take is on Zalewski, 24 yr old C/LW. He was slowly moving up the Sharks depth chart, but was not getting a shot, then minor trade to the Devils and started getting 1st line time in Albany and produced results there. Now resigned a cheap two year 2-way deal. With NJ's tight cap situation, will he get a shot or be a career AHLer?

Bump. Resubmitting, hoping I get some input.
    ZFHL Stanley Cup Champ 2014

P Sharp - N Backstrom - P Marleau
    D Perron - A Tanguay - M Hossa
    J Williams - C Soderberg - J Abdelkader
    K Clifford - B Pirri - R Clune

D Keith - J Schultz
    B Dillon - S Salo
    V Bartley - R Ellis

C Price

C Adams, M Latta, K Ramo

Farm: Nylander, Goldobin, Anton Karlsson, S Griffith, M Hrivlik, J Marchessault, S Wilson, T Blugers, B Hart, K, Agostino, S Elliott, C Ruhwedel, J Klingberg, A Sergeev, H Tommernes, S Brittain, ...

30 team salary cap with 30 NHL roster & 30 prospects plus unsigned prospects = ZFHL also (DTDL and Scfhl2)

The Magnificent One

THank you to the 2 people who asked questions. sorry been a hecitc crazy weekend. well i will get to your answeres but lets first talk about whats been going on with the devils this week. ALOT it seems busy week. funny how i think in my last post i said we might be seeing a parise deal by the end of next week lol.

Things that have happened:

1) Signed: Stephane Veilleux LW to a one yr 2 way contract. this is a weird signing. so i am guessing it is an injury signing. just incase the devils need another body to throw into the mix midseason he could be a call up as he has NHL expirience.

Veillleux, 29, last played in the NHL in 2009-10 with Tampa Bay and registered three goals, six assists and 48 penalty minutes in 77 games.

2) Hired: Dave Barr as an assistant coach. the whole team from last year is returning and Barr is being added to the coaching staff as well. Dont really know alot about this guy but seems to have a decent record and was also a devils player for 2 seasons. if you want to read more about him here is the fire and ice blog about him:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...sistant_coach/

3) TRADE: Rolston and his 5mil contract out and hunter and his 2mil 2yr contract in. THis is where things get crazy. great move in my mind by Lou. cleared a player in rolston that they didnt need giving the youngsters and there future more of a shot to play and get quality minutes. As well he cleans off 3mil in cap. nice move. Lou was quoted on July 1st that they will only make adjustments to the team after they make some deductions (something along those lines).

4) SIGN: Parise. you all know about this. 1yr 6mil. good or bad its hard to argue. i have seen the debate and the comments on the boards and ofcourse as a devil fan we would have loved to see a long term deal. BUT parise is a team player and i dont think he was upset with the kovy singing (as people were saying on here). to him as a team player it shows that the devils are out for the future to add big names and big time players.

According to the rules parise cant sign a deal until after Jan 1st 2012. this is weird not sure i get it but its the rules, so i wont touch it. This gives the devils and parise along time to work out a great deal. NO I DONT SEE A TRADE COMING BEFORE THE END OF THE SEASON. the devils are always a threat to make the playoffs so keep that in mind. if they fall short and no deal is worked out can a deal be made maybe but i think they will do everything they can to land a long term deal. parise included.

5) BUYOUTS: Colin White (D) and Hunter (RW).
    this comes as an interesting move. it frees up 3.3mil this yr in cap. giving the devils almost 6mil in free cap. Lets not forget salvador who is a possible long term IR. if he goes on LTIR then the devils have close to 9mil in free cap. this is interesting as this seemed to be a starving cap team. not anymore. this also becomes risky as it leaves the devils with 3 dmen vets and 3 rookies (or sophmore players). could we see larsson and urbom make the lineup, or someone else?

OR do we see a monster trade? or bringing back a dman with a 4mil cap hit. who knows its all open and i am sure we will see in the near future what will happen.

AS for the questions:

1) ridinryan44:
    THoughts on Corrente? I have this guy stashed away as a PIM guy I can plug in at a time of need... what's your take on his ability to make the starting roster and stick there?

ANSWER: I am not sure on this one. he had a chance last yr. but who knows now which direction the defense is going. I am sorry to say i dont know much about defense. I think greene will get the chance to run the powerplay. the devils have some shut down dmen and block shot experts but maybe they will now use corrente on defense for a bit more muscle. he seems to be open to throwing his body around and not scared to do what he needs to do. HOWEVER i was reading that he needs alot of work in skating and hockey sense. he doesnt skate so well backwords and sometimes has to turn around. as a dman that will seriously hurt his chances. the devils will have youngsters running the dcore and if they have any liabiilty it will be hard to crack this team. it really comes down to how his camp goes which i havent herd much about him.

2) uofmehockey:

ANSWER: DONT know too much on this guy. seems to have been ranked high in SJ but not so much in the devils. on a mid summer ranking (july 11) by Tom Stivali (writes for in lou we trust NJ blog). he has zalewski ranked 17th but with a good note. here is what he wrote:
    "17. Steve Zalewski-C-Personal favorite of mine, will likely remain a Devil after receiving a qualifying offer. With his tenacity on the forecheck I can see him contributing on the 4th line with New Jersey this year and I hope he is given the opportunity in training camp to win a job as a depth forward."

BUSY week for the devils and cant wait for something else to happen and then the season.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

The Magnificent One

interesting NJ line combos. this article is probably out dated now due to rolston being traded but still some interesting thoughts. the article and comments are pretty interesting.

only thing i didnt like was a suggestion of parise/zajac/clarkson line.

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2011/7/2...a-kovalchuk-at
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Newper if you've covered this I apologize....

Really interested in Tedenby to the point where I always seem to have one eye on him. I'm in a high stakes $$$ league...dynasty, points only, no farm or prospects system.

My question is: How long 'till Tedenby is full time Devil. Not peaking...or producing...or upside....just want to get some inclination as to when I should scoop him in my draft.

Thanks brother.
    @SmittysRant

The Magnificent One

As most of my fellow team management sections are doing I will do also. Bringing back our sections to life. Haven't been at camps but trying to find as much info as I could.

First to report Deboer is loving his first few days as coach. He's already lost his voice! Always a great sign.

They of course like most teams are trying out variations of lines but some combos seem to be sticking:

Parise-Elias-zuburs: this was first scrimmage later zubu was switched out for bernier I believe
    Kovy-josefson-clarkson: this seems to be the lune that stuck together for 2 sets.
    Palmeri-Henrigue-Tedenby: this is being the most talked about line. The kid line is all turnips now. Everyone seems to want to see this line go together. Maybe a defense liability but the offense potential is amazing.

Reports are that lines never stay together but the coach is finding great chemistry with the parise/Elias and kovy/josefson combos. Things will change once zajac is back but this is opening a huge chance for josefson and henrique to shine early on.

I've always wanted to see parise-zajac-clarkson line bit clarkson with kovy/josefson is a great fit. He opens the ice for kovy and josefson is a great setup man.

Larsson is also impressing. Coach is giving the green light for the defense to step up in the offensive zone which is good and bad.

Goalies not much to comment out. Wedgewood is being held out for now with a minor lower body injury.

More to come in the next few days
    Last edited by newper114; September 18, 2011 at 8:31 PM.

The Wolverine

Hey newper,

You've just touched upon one of my questions a bit - where Clarkson is expected to line up. I hope he can stay in the top six. If so, do you think he has a chance at some secondary PP time?

My other question is about Andy Greene. I noticed you had mentioned him a bit earlier in the summer but as the season approaches, what are your thoughts for this season? Do you think he has what it takes to be a main D on the PP? Any chance Taormina/others or even Stralman could cut into his opportunity? He showed promise two seasons ago but struggled last year (strangely moreso in the second half when the team improved).

Thanks in advance.

The Magnificent One

First off sorry horrorfan for not answering you yet. Didn't have time last night but wil get to it tonight. Let's just say I have slot to say about those 2. You asked about the 2players I like the most and are very underrated.

Secondly: we all love a good darkhorse. Look no further than petr sykora. Yes you herd that right, invited on a try out and he is impressing. Former devil, stanely cup winner and part of the A line. One of the best the devils ever had.

He impressed due to his hattrik yesterday. He can still shoot. Rocket of a shot.

Another reason I say darkhorse bc we know the devils love to bring back there vets. Now I wouldn't be expecting much but super deep leagues you never know, while rolston was bad last season sykora could have a similar impact in that do they try the 4 forwards on the PP and have sykoras booming shot there. Don't like the 4 forward PP but slot of teams are usin it.

Again just a fun thing to point out don't draft him and expect 50 points but 35-40 isn't unheard of if he can get pp time

Dobber Sports Veteran

Any chance Petr Sykora is a fantasy factor this year? Seems to be all over the board in the Devils scrimmages and even scored in the game against the Rangers.
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

The Magnificent One

WOW big sorry to horrorfan here for taking so so long to address his questions. In short just started a new job and was trying to hopefully catch a few preseason games to fully answer your question but that didnt happen. so I will answer your questions based on how i feel the devils should utilize these players and things ive read but not so much from what they have been doing. i hope it helps.

Greene:
    WHat to say about him. SHowed some great stuff 2 seasons ago from a depleted defense. then last yr not such a great year. he actually had a better first half of the season while the devils did better overall in the second like horrorfan pointed out. Then in the offseason he resigns for a pretty good amount. alot of people thought the devils should let him walk or keep him for under a mil or just shy over a mil. We all know he signed for more. this shows the devils believe in him and they should. My take on him is he is good. Youngish and still learning that role that comes with leading the defense unit in the offense zone. He is a PP quaterback. maybe not the best out there but he is the best the devils have right now (outside of larsson who is more down the line, eventhough he has impressed).
    The reason why he didnt do well the second half while the rest of the team did was because he lost Power Play time. The devils did better second half because there powerplay increased 10 fold. but they went with the new wave of movement in going with 5 forwards. the problem is they also let up SHPs because of that. with rolston getting that 5th spot on the pp and greene losing it he lost his edge in a sense. I think with his new contract they will give him all the time in the world this season to make that impact AGAIN. i would look at an imporvement from 2 seasons ago and think about last season as just that a down year.

Clarkson:
    He was in a very similar situation as greene last season. He was dumped to the 3rd and 4th lines playing a checker role and not being given the offense ability he was 2 seasons ago. Alot also thought he should have been bought out or traded this offseason but again like greene i disagreed. And i am happy the devils went the way i saw it. He is an energy guy who gives 130% each shift and can score if given the chance.
    This preseaon and training camp he has been bounced around between the top 2 lines. playing with parise or kovy. I like him more on #1 line of parise/zajac (elias now)/ clarkson. I have been saying this even before we traded our old captain Landengbrunner. clarkson should be on that line. he plays a high tempo game and can open up alot of ice room for zajac and parise to work there magic. he might have been bumped to 3rd line last season for 2 main reasons: 1) parise was out hurt 2) the devils didnt have that toughness and they needed him to play that role. but now the devils made 2 signings this summer to add that toughness to the 4th line, which should free up clarkson to be more of a hitter/scorer guy in the fashion of downie type player.
    As for PP time maybe 2nd unit is possiblilty. he has a big body and can cause havoic infront of the net so its not a bad play but i think the devils want to try out the youngsters more to give them a taste of the pp. but yeah i can see him getting 1min of pp time per game, more if he is playing top notch.

hope this helps. alot to say and kind of all over the place but thats how i write lol.

As for sykora:
    Not sure if he will be fantasy relevant. he seems to be playing with henrique and palmeri on the 3rd line. great player to fit with them. he can defently help them out alot but not sure fantasy relevant comes into play here. like i said in another post if he gets some PP time maybe 30-40 points. so deep leagues i might take him in but not standard 12 team leagues.

Default Stralman

How is stralman looking in the preseason? Think he'll stick?

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by OceanMon View Post
    How is stralman looking in the preseason? Think he'll stick?
    Like I said above I haven't Been able to watch any preseason games so I can't say how he has looked. I know he had slot of promise but seems like that is gone now. From what I am reading it's still unknown if stralman will get a contract from the devils or not. One comment was he has been unnoticeable so far in the preseason. That can be taken in 2 ways. 1) he hasn't made any mistakes to be noticed or 2) he has t done anything to impress.

As a dman sometimes it's good to just not make mistakes. With Salvador playing and larsson playing so well the spots are limited but another thing I have herd is that stralman has a rigt handed shot like larsson and the devils might be in need of another right handed dman. So that could be one plus.

One negative is he was on the top pp unit for atleast one shift against the islanders. The problem is they only were able to come up with one shot on goal. That's probably not great. Now again I didn't see the play so I'm not sure what happen but just a reaction of mine to what was said.

The Wolverine

Thank you newper!

Yeah, thanks!