Page 53 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Veteran

And Vanek pots another one. Man oh man is that guy white hot!
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    And Vanek pots another one. Man oh man is that guy white hot!
    Plus an assist - 23 pts in 11 GP - barring injury he should hit 50 this season...you'd think at least. Could a collapse that massive happen (not hitting 50)? I keep waiting for him to slow down - he's had similar starts before and ended up with 65 pts (full season).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Plus an assist - 23 pts in 11 GP - barring injury he should hit 50 this season...you'd think at least. Could a collapse that massive happen (not hitting 50)? I keep waiting for him to slow down - he's had similar starts before and ended up with 65 pts (full season).
    He started white hot last year too and ended up with 61 points in 78GP. He's done it in other years as well so there is definitely a pattern with Vanek. Almost certaintly will slow down considerably, judging from his history, but given that it's a shortened season this year, he could hit 50, he's already almost half-way there.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Icon

grigorenko a scratch tonite? is he injured?

why didnt they send this kid down? what good can come from being 4th line and getting a healthy scratch...

Quote Originally Posted by finnys_fanatsy View Post
    grigorenko a scratch tonite? is he injured?

why didnt they send this kid down? what good can come from being 4th line and getting a healthy scratch...
    That's what happens when you have a coach desperate for wins for fear of being run out of town. The ten shots on goal vs the Islanders last night is of less importance so long as the win is there. Unfortunately.

Myers is again a healthy scratch. That better wake his ass up.

Nice fight Kaleta vs Campbell.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Icon

i guess....

is this grigorenko kid the real deal do you think? i picked him off the WW and would like to see him succeed, but if this is the way they staff are treating him then i may have to re-think keeping him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

My two cents: long-term absolutely. Short term, not so much.

The Sabres' coaching staff just doesn't thrust most of their young players into big situations and consistent roles (Myers is the last example I can think of, and that was just more the fact that he caught lightening in a bottle than by design, in my opinion).

Someone mentioned this in the Wild thread yesterday about Granlund and I think it's true: many times, the best thing for a young player is the occasional healthy scratch to observe the game from upon high in the press box. Here, I think that's doubly true for Grigs when compared to playing 4th line minutes. It just in no way suits his game, or aids his development, to play limited minutes with comparatively lower skilled (i.e., VERY limited offensive capability) bangers.

Dobber Sports Icon

My two cents: long-term absolutely. Short term, not so much.

The Sabres' coaching staff just doesn't thrust most of their young players into big situations and consistent roles (Myers is the last example I can think of, and that was just more the fact that he caught lightening in a bottle than by design, in my opinion).

Someone mentioned this in the Wild thread yesterday about Granlund and I think it's true: many times, the best thing for a young player is the occasional healthy scratch to observe the game from upon high in the press box. Here, I think that's doubly true for Grigs when compared to playing 4th line minutes. It just in no way suits his game, or aids his development, to play limited minutes with comparatively lower skilled (i.e., VERY limited offensive capability) bangers.
    ..but do you think hes the type that actually gets anything from being a HS? i know it gets the vets going but rarely have i seen it do the same for a struggling rookie.

thanks for the insight guys (Bomm and dejeanneret)..rep to both

i guess....

is this grigorenko kid the real deal do you think? i picked him off the WW and would like to see him succeed, but if this is the way they staff are treating him then i may have to re-think keeping him.
    It's a tough call. I love Grig's upside and talent. But I also have zero faith in Ruff's ability to nurture talent and player development.

So....
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

..but do you think hes the type that actually gets anything from being a HS? i know it gets the vets going but rarely have i seen it do the same for a struggling rookie.
    I echo Bomm's lack of faith in Ruff generally in developing rookies. But in response to your point, I don't view this as something intended to get Grigs going. Rather, with rookies, I see it as an off ice learning opportunity of sorts. Many players say that it's incredible what they can see in terms of game flow, positioning, etc. from viewing in the press box. I'd hope (and it's really just that, hope) that the scratch is being approached by the powers that be in those terms -- i.e., an opportunity to learn -- rather than as a penal motivational tool as it can be at times with more established players. That would be an all time low, even for Ruff, when it comes to dealing with an 18 year old.

Default Meanderings of a Feeble Mind - 2.11.2013

WARNING: Not a coherent thought, hence the title. Rather an amalgam of thoughts needing to be purged. Not really sure if it's fantasy relevant either.

• On Sunday Feb. 10th the Sabres hosted the Bruins - their first meeting since the Bruin embarrassing 7-4 loss. The Bruins despite being on the road chose to start their backup netminder, Anton Khudobin.
    • On Thursday Feb. 7th the Sabres hosted the Montreal Canadiens. The Canadiens too decided to start their backup netminder, Peter Budaj.
    • I would be embarrassed as a member of the Sabres, if I knew opposing teams entering our building didn't fear us enough to start their best goalie. True....Montreal lost, but the Sabres got away with one. Facing a Montreal team that faced the Bruins the night prior, the Canadiens eventually lost steam. Good on the Sabres for taking advantage of it, but really that Vanek goal to tie w/but one second remaining was the result of luck and a ref who couldn't find his whistle.
    • 2010 playoffs Sabres were NorthEast conference champs. Got knocked out of the first round by the Bruins.
    • 2011 playoffs Sabres lost to the Flyers in the first round.
    • In both series losses the Sabres were forechecked unmercifully.
    • In fact, after the Philly series in particular, during the off season Regier overpaid for Leino because of his playoff play/forechecking against the Sabres
    • Yet to this date the Sabres inability to get out of their own end persists second only to a herpes chancre.
    • Boston most recently demonstrated that (forecheck + powerplay) - Vanek = success
    • It's true. Even last year teams did it to us. But in the past at least the Sabres had two lines scoring. This year it's only one.
    • In addition this year the outlet pass eludes the Sabres even more. In past years when the Sabres starting losing Ruff would immediately revert to a more defensive, shutdown posture. Still not much offense...but they won some games.
    • Problem this year? Miller not stealing as many (Islanders game duly noted) and Myers has completely shutdown. He used to be able to get the outlet pass quickly up ice to his forwards.
    • So Myers starts his NHL career winning the Calder and slowly regresses.
    • Luke Adam starts his NHL career on the top line and quickly regresses to the point where he's now referred to only as "He who we no longer speak of".
    • Grigorenko, the Sabres touted first rounder, was a healthy scratch, after seeing his playing time slowing disolve.
    • Despite the fact that secondary scoring is what the Sabres desperately need and what Grigs could supply if allowed to be free. Because as I have mentioned, ya take away Vanek's line and there little to no offense (apologies to Ennis and Foligno).
    • The more ya watch this team the more you realise that not only does it not have an identity, there's no on-ice cohesiveness.
    • So nothing's really changed since the Bruins and subsequent Flyers playoff losses.
    • ...and people wonder why I want Ruff gone. [sigh]
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; February 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Buffalo News reporting that both Grigorenko and Myers will be back in the lineup tonight against Ottawa.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...n-tonight.html

Buffalo News reporting that both Grigorenko and Myers will be back in the lineup tonight against Ottawa.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...n-tonight.html

Yep...pairings at today's practice:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pmmer
    Stafford-Ennis-Foligno
    Ott-Grigorenko-Gerbe

....and then one of Hecht-Kaleta-McCormick-Scott will be scratched. Probably McCormick

D-pairings:

Myers-Regehr
    Ehrhoff-Sekera
    Leopold-Weber
    Sulzer-Brennan
    @SmittysRant

Default Bruins @ Sabres - 2.15.2013 (Recap)

Final Score: 2-4

Filed under: Irony

[scratching head] The Bruins (#1), only two regulation lossesof this season have come at the hands of the Sabres (#5). Why?

Good question...

Generally, the Sabres consider the Bruins their benchmark opponent. The outcome of these matchups directly effects the teams self evaluation and confidence - despite what their overall record may be. Consequently, Miller & Crew always play up to the Bruins.

More specifically w/regard to this specific game...
    • Miller played a great game, making 30 saves on 32 shots. And that's the upper edge of where you want to see Miller's SA number. He's best when facing <34 SA. When the Sabres skaters fell into their usual "Der...how do we get out of our own end?" lapses, Miller kept them in the game.
    • Continuing on that thought, the Sabres limited their heretofore routine of "Der...how do we get out of our own end?". Didn't start off so good, considering the first half of the first period. But the Sabres eventually figured out how to get down ice.
    • The Sabres stayed out of the sin bin, relatively speaking. Having to fend off only two minor penalties allowed Ruff to rotate his lines as he likes. This in turn means his skaters are more rested - not having to spend extra minutes defending against man advantages.
    • Oh glory be to God, secondary scoring! With the Bruins attention focused primarily on Vanek (more on that later), it was imperative for the 2nd and 3rd lines to generate some offense. They did: Stafford - 1G/1A (sell high!); Ehrhoff 1G/1A; Gerbe - 1A; Ennis - 2A; Myers - 1G/1A; Foligno - 1A; Hodgson - 1G.
    • So it's true, when the Sabres don't have to rely solely on Vanek for points, they play better as a team. Whouda thunk it?
    • Myers had a huge game. His best yet, by far. Knocking guys off the puck, pinching when appropriate, and contributing to the score sheet. THAT's why ya won the Calder, ya knucklehead! Now get 'er done.
    • So the winning formula is what it has always been: Miller @ <34 SA + Secondary Offense + Myers playing the way he can = WIN.

Expanding on a thought alluded to above, I considered warning Vanek owners to consider benching him this week. First, Vanek's been known to disappear in fits-and-spurts so that's nothing new. Additionally, on Feb 10th the Bruins showed that if you can contain Vanek and forecheck you will more than likely succeed in winning the game.

The next game, the Senators followed suit. And but for Stafford and Myers' contributions, the Bruins would have found success yet again last night.

Regretfully, I withheld my tale of caution only because the Sabres are at home for a stretch and figured who's gonna bench the Sabres leading offensive player when he's at home. Alas, Vanek has been held off the score sheet now for three staright, and I have a feeling the trend will continue.

Untill the Sabres learn consistency, building on last night's success of generating offense from other sources, I suspect teams will continue to focus their efforts in shutting down Vanek. And why not, really...the Sabres aren't noted for their consitency.

Now if you will excuse me, Saturday chores await.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Grigorenko a scratch again vs. the Pens this afternoon.

P.s. Bomm -- great posts/ramblings the last couple of days! Rep to you!

Edit: Ugh, need to spread some rep around it appears, so I'll get back to you on that one.