Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    JJ...right of the mark, Clitsome did not travel w/ the team. So he's out.

If your week is Mon-Sat, then I'd give the edge to Sekera. Shatts and Sekera are pretty even with regard to overall pts and PPTOI over the last 7 games. Sekera has an advantage with overall TOI, and slightly elevated time on the PP.

There's an outside shot Ruff scratches him for his blunder last night, but that's doubtful considering how thin Sabres are on defense. Morrisonn's not exactly killin' it out there (least not in a good way). Leopold was a minus-one the other night when the Sabres scorched the Thrashers with eight goals.

Sekera gets the edge fantasy-wise in my book, but Shatts would be a viable safe play with beatable opponents the next three games (w/ the exception of Coyotes).

Hope that helps.
    Thanks BB, that does help!

Mucho appreciated!
    12 GM Weekly H2H Points Based System Limited Keeper
    Start:6 FW, 4 D, 2 G
    +/- G=5pts A=3pts SOG=.2pt SHG=3pts Hattrick=5pts GA=-1pt S=.2pt SHOL=3pts SO=3pts W=10pts *Bonus point added to defenseman G or A

FW-Stamkos, Voracek, D.Sedin, H.Sedin, MacKinnon, Duchene
    D-Doughty, Carlson, Josi, Klingberg
    G-Rask, Price
    Bench-Henrique, Stastny, Yakupov, Zuccarello, Sekera, Gostisbehere, Beauchemin, Gustavsson, Condon, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy
    Keep 10(max 2 goalies)

Default Predators 4 @ 3 Sabres (OT) - recap

Heh....yeah. Going to skip the game summary on this as my post-game aneurysm is beginning to heal. Suffice it to say, no one expects the Sabres to win-out the remainder of their regular season games. Heck no, in fact. But what we, as fans, do expect [owwwww]....is...to...not...blow....a....f-ing...two...goal...lead....late...in...the...third period.

[ahem]

Now onto to some fantasy relevant info. Despite the loss, the boys are still producing offensively. Gotta hand them that much.

First, TOI among d-men Sekera lead the way w/ 22:39 (w/2:228 PPTOI); Myers came in at 21:08 (w/3:05 PPTOI); and rounding out the top three was Leopold at 20:38 (w/3:25 PPTOI)

Now you might be saying to yourself "Wow, look at the power play time allotted to Leopold?!?" Well, don't be fooled. Leopold is relied on more for his defensive attributes, especially on the power play (ie prevent any short handed scoring opportunities, etc). Myers is the man on the power play because he possesses more defensive acumen than Sekera AND superior offensive skill. In short, Myers doesn't (usually) f***-up as much Sekera and can score more. I say "usually" because neither looked very good in the third period last night.

Point-wise, Sekera's still doing it, as well as Myers. They will have all the opportunity in the world going forward so if you own 'em...start 'em. The Sabres can score, no doubt, and one of these two leads the charge at the point bouncing pucks off pads for players like Gerbe, Ennis, and Pommer to hammer home. Myers and Sekera will continue to produce.

For the forwards, Vanek continues to be the man on the power play logging the most time (3:25 last night). From there it goes to Ennis, Pommer, and Stafford for the group with the second most power play time. Followed by Connolly and Boyes at just over 2 mins last night.

That's generally been the going allotment from game-to-game. An honorable mention to Mancari who saw his ice time jump to 13 mins and was also able to register an assist.

Some more forward numbers to revel in:

Nate "I'm Taller Than I look" Gerbe: One goal among six...yes, I said six shots on goal (team high last night) and 13 mins of ice time. Just an amazing kid, who is damn fun to watch.

Tyler "At Least I'm Taller Than Gerbe" Ennis - a disappointing 2 shots on net and a minus-one on the night. However (and it's a biggee), he scored a goal and has eight points in his last seven games. You have to start this kid each night.

Cody "Copperfield" McCormick - A once heralded multi-cat stud-to-be has disappeared. Five shots on goal last night, but no points and only one in his last seven. Fourth line minutes and numbers to match. Bench him if ya got him.

Thomas "Little Engine That Could" Vanek - He's going to have a four point night here soon. The guy is just all over the place, creating opportunities yet again, and registering five shots on net last night. Yes only one assist, but he's just missing on several opportunities each game. With eight points in his last seven games, ya really can't complain too much, if at all. Start him...always.

Tim "Please Don't Trade Me" Connolly - Four shots on net and a goal to show for it last night. He does have seven-in-seven so that's something. Just not as consistent as the above, but showing improvement. Start him if you need a fill-in.

Amber Alert: Brad Boyes - four in his last seven. Not horrible per se, but certainly not trending in a way we would like to see.

Tomorrow night vs Canadiens. We shall see. We shall see....

Hope this was helpful.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

love that you mentioned "the midget bros" (Ennis and Gerbe). Does their height (or lack thereof) ever get them in trouble in a game? ( like getting knocked off the puck, big hits, etc...)
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    love that you mentioned "the midget bros" (Ennis and Gerbe). Does their height (or lack thereof) ever get them in trouble in a game? ( like getting knocked off the puck, big hits, etc...)
    lol....Sometimes, more so Gerbe than Ennis cuz the former plays a more physical style (ironically enough). Gerbe at one point during Thrashers game was just tossed off the puck.

Both Ennis and Gerbe can get pinched pretty easily up along the boards. They need to stay in open ice more, away from the boards. Again, Gerbe seems to be more affected because (I think) Ennis has more zig-zag to his game and seems to anticipate better. Gerbe right now, is more a straight-line speedster. He can cut, no doubt and will develop into what Ennis is now, but doesn't seem to have quite the elusiveness that Ennis has.

Gerbe plays bigger than he is - like a rottweiler trapped inside a chihuahua's body. He'll scrap, dig, bang in the corners and the front of the net and sometimes that get him taken off the puck.

Ennis gets in/gets out and shoots, zig-zags then shoots. Gerbe will learn how to do that as well, but he'll retain some of his tenacity too.
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres @ Canadiens - Tue, March 22nd; 7:30pm TSN, MSG

6. Montreal 73GP 87Pts
    7. NY Rangers 73 82
    8. Buffalo 72 79
    9. Carolina 72 76

I like to post the standings. That way I don't have to constantly repeat the "must win" mantra. Ironically, I just did.

If recent history is any indication the Sabres will win this game. If only because the Sabres have won every other game for the past eight (?) games.

Really not much new to report. Montador and Hecht are still out, as well as Kaleta. In fact, Kaleta's bone bruise is worse than originally thought, so if you're looking for PIMs look elsewhere.

I haven't really addressed Miller in any of my post-game reports. Can't really say why. I suppose it's because I feel as though you always have to start him. Biased I know. Truth be told, he really hasn't been clutch this year.

Now before I get lambasted for that last sentence let me stress....he's a damn good net minder. Damn good. It's just that he has been soft at times, and tonight he really needs to step up and win this one.

That said, were I the owner of Rinne, Bryzzy, or King Henrik, I would probably consider those option first.

Just tryin' to be objective here....

The lines remain intact. Read my Preds post-game review and you'll get a damn good idea as to who I would recommend for tonight.

That's all I got...GO SABRES!!!!
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Great stuff BB,
    Can you give me your pick for who will be the biggest producer next year (pts only) between: Luke Adam, Gerbe and Mancari?

Thanks

EDIT: Gerbe just got snatched up. Will either Adam or Mancari be fantasy relevant next year?
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Great stuff BB,
    Can you give me your pick for who will be the biggest producer next year (pts only) between: Luke Adam, Gerbe and Mancari?

Thanks

EDIT: Gerbe just got snatched up. Will either Adam or Mancari be fantasy relevant next year?
    Thanks, loco man, and glad to help...

To bad about Gerbe, cuz he'd be the one you want (long term, anyway).

I assume, being in an 18 team full keeper, that fantasy-relevant for your league would be 60+ for a forward?

With that in mind, the short answer is no, neither will be fantasy relevant next year.

Mancari is Cody McCromick w/ slightly more offense. Consequently, he may never be fantasy relevant in a points-only format. I think his ideal offensive output would be 50-55. I know you see the 64-points in 56-games down in Portland, but there's a reason he's been stuck there for four seasons. More of a defensive, grit forward....not surprising considering he's a converted d-man.

I have Adam's ultimate production hovering around the 60-65pt range with a few 65-70 season sprinkled on top. He's not a skater. He's a big body planted in front of the goalie-type. More assists and tip-ins. There should be a spot available for him next year, but what role exactly??

Depends on what transpires during the off season with regard to trades, etc.
    Hard to get a read on Pegula & Co just yet.

Hope this helps. Thanks, loco.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Star

Helps a bunch! Thanks.

The guy who grabbed Gerbe is very likely to drop him once someone else has a great night, as he is always hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. I'll scoop him up when I can. Think he has earned a spot in the top six next year?

Thanks again
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Helps a bunch! Thanks.

The guy who grabbed Gerbe is very likely to drop him once someone else has a great night, as he is always hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. I'll scoop him up when I can. Think he has earned a spot in the top six next year?

Thanks again
    Yeah, he's earned a top six. Again, my only hesitation is this off season being such a wild card with regard to Pegula. I have no idea what the roster will look like come next September.

Many, including myself, are expecting Pegula to make moves. Now Gerbe is a RFA at season's end, but I would be surprised to see him moved. Buff fans are in love w/ this kid and if we've learned anything from Pegula it's that he's a sentimental billionaire. So I definitely see Gerbe hanging around long term

BUT...forwards like Connolly, Stafford, Niedermayer are definitely vulnerable. Why keep Connolly when you have a kid like Gerbe doing what up until recently has avoided (effort) and produces goals to boot?

I really think Staffs is the wild card here. He's a UFA at the end of the season. What do you do with a forward who for the past four years has underwhelmed (putting it mildly), and this year might finish with 50 points? (he's at 42pts w/ 9 games remaining).

Sabres fans assume he's the real deal due to his increased productivity this year, and will be signed to a long term deal. Me??? Well, let's just say in fantasy leagues he's the quintessential sell-high candidate.

So, yeah, I think Gerbe is a top six guy as long as he continues to show the effort and production (Ruff's a fickle bastard). How much time? That's up in the air at this point.
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres 2 @ 0 Canadiens - recap

6. Montreal 74GP 87Pts
    7. NY Rangers 74 84
    8. Buffalo 73 81
    9. Carolina 73 78

Damn!

Called it in my pre-game eval that Miller would have to win this one, and by gosh he did - w/ some help from Gerbe - stopping all 31 shots for the shutout. May not be the most shots he's seen in a game, but he stopped some quality chance, saved the collective arse of the defensive a couple of times (see: end of second period), and otherwise took ownership of the game. Great to see that. Rinne, Bryz and Lundy were prime recommendations, but it's nice to know Miller is still a very viable candidate.

Gerbe, well, damn...three shots and two goals. Yeah I know, his second goal was an empty netter, but if you saw the game you would know the effort it took for him to get the puck (actually assisted himself on his own goal) in order to make the play on net. The kid just doesn't quit. It's as if Myers picks him up at the start of each game, gives the turn-key lodged in Gerbe's back a few twists, and then sets him down on the ice to watch him take off like a grey hound outta the gate (albeit a very small grey hound).

Great effort by the forwards, not a ton of shots on net but great effort keeping it deep in Canadien's end putting sustained pressure on their d-men (Subban looked disjointed at times). Mancari lead with four shots followed by Ennis, Gerbe and Leopold (oddly) with three..

I've resolved myself to the fact that Myers and Sekera are going to have their lapses. They're young. Ok, fine...I get it. They each got an assist and will keep producing offensively. Myers is far ahead of Sekera, however, in terms of well....everything. I love watching him skate in transition with those huge strides. Much better than Sekera at puck control and overall mobility. They'll grow together, and I'm starting to think Sekera will be a big producer next year. Taking the next step as it were.

Up next Florida Panthers, Fri night.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; March 23, 2011 at 7:54 PM.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sage

6. Montreal 74GP 87Pts
    7. NY Rangers 74 84
    8. Buffalo 73 81
    9. Carolina 73 78

Damn!

Called it in my pre-game eval that Miller would have to win this one, and by gosh he did - w/ some help from Gerbe - stopping all 31 shots for the shutout. May not be the most shots he's seen in a game, but he stopped some quality chance, saved the collective arse of the defensive a couple of times (see: end of second period), and otherwise took ownership of the game. Great to see that. Rinne, Bryz and Lundy were prime recommendations, but it's nice to know Miller is still a very viable candidate.

Gerbe, well, damn...three shots and two goals. Yeah I know, his second goal was an empty netter, but if you saw the game you would know the effort it took for him to get the puck (actually assisted himself on his own goal) in order to make the play on net. The kid just doesn't quit. It's as if Myers picks him up at the start of each game, gives the turn-key lodged in Gerbe's back a few twists, and then sets him down on the ice to watch him take off like a grey hound outta the gate (albeit a very small grey hound).

Great effort by the forwards, not a ton of shots on net but great effort keeping it deep in Canadien's end putting sustained pressure on their d-men (Subban looked disjointed at times). Mancari lead with four shots followed by Ennis, Gerbe and Leopold (oddly) with three..

I've resolved myself to the fact that Myers and Sekera are going to have their lapses. They're young. Ok, fine...I get it. They each got an assist and will keep producing offensively. Myers is far ahead of Sekera, however, in terms of well....everything. I love watching him skate in transition with those huge strides. Much better than Sekera at puck control and overall mobility. They'll grow together, and I'm starting to think Sekera will be a big producer next year. Taking the next step as it were.

Up next Florida Panthers, Fri night.

Hope this helps...
    Ha... best part is that he got both the first AND secondary assist on that goal.. nothign but determination and pretty weak effort on the part of Subban...
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Ha... best part is that he got both the first AND secondary assist on that goal.. nothign but determination and pretty weak effort on the part of Subban...
    Yeah, I don't want to hop on the Subban-bashing bandwagon because I really don't watch him often enough, but last night I really noticed he can be easily pressured into defensive lapses.Happened a few times on dump-n-chases too.

Sekera's the same way, though his lapses seem to be more with transitioning and passing out of or w/in a zone.

Myers had a brain fart last night, end of second, behind the net of Miller that almost lead directly to a goal and my brain exploding. Such is w/ young d-men.

What I like with Myers is he doesn't let the occasional lapse get to him. He recovers well.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sage

Yeah, I don't want to hop on the Subban-bashing bandwagon because I really don't watch him often enough, but last night I really noticed he can be easily pressured into defensive lapses.Happened a few times on dump-n-chases too.

Sekera's the same way, though his lapses seem to be more with transitioning and passing out of or w/in a zone.

Myers had a brain fart last night, end of second, behind the net of Miller that almost lead directly to a goal and my brain exploding. Such is w/ young d-men.

What I like with Myers is he doesn't let the occasional lapse get to him. He recovers well.
    Not meant to come across as a bash.. I am actually a converted Subban fan... didn't see the hype before, now I buy in 'cus I watch Price so much. Just a really weak effort on his part at a really important part of the game. I'm sure he was just gassed but the best players in the league are able to find that second gear. All in due time, I'm sure. HUGE effort by Gerbe, though. Buffalo has been a really fun team to watch once again over the last 10-15 games.

Farm

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Not meant to come across as a bash.. I am actually a converted Subban fan... didn't see the hype before, now I buy in 'cus I watch Price so much. Just a really weak effort on his part at a really important part of the game. I'm sure he was just gassed but the best players in the league are able to find that second gear. All in due time, I'm sure. HUGE effort by Gerbe, though. Buffalo has been a really fun team to watch once again over the last 10-15 games.
    No I didn't mean to imply you were, RR (bashing, that is). I'm just saying I'm not really qualified to give an analysis of his game overall but watching him last night i could see where some of the criticism comes re the defensive side of his game.

But Gerbe is really the point here. Let me ask you something...

You think, given his frame and the pounding it takes from his style of play that he'll break down physically sooner rather than later?

Seems to be the one thing that concerns me about him...assuming he doesn't develop into more of Ennis' style (elude rather than engage).

Interested in your thoughts.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sage

No I didn't mean to imply you were, RR (bashing, that is). I'm just saying I'm not really qualified to give an analysis of his game overall but watching him last night i could see where some of the criticism comes re the defensive side of his game.

But Gerbe is really the point here. Let me ask you something...

You think, given his frame and the pounding it takes from his style of play that he'll break down physically sooner rather than later?

Seems to be the one thing that concerns me about him...assuming he doesn't develop into more of Ennis' style (elude rather than engage).

Interested in your thoughts.
    I think it's inevitable that at some point his rough style of play is going to result in some sort of injury... be it minor, nagging injuries, or something more major. He's played this style all of his life and he's done just fine, so I don't foresee it as being a big issue, but yes I think it will affect him somehow, somewhere down the line. The positive side of it is that he can take a hit a hell of a lot better than Ennis can. Ennis is used to escaping the hits but this is the NHL and he's bound to get caught. That smaller, more wiry frame isn't gonna hold up like Gerbe's tight package will (bahhaha). So while his physical style will result in some sort of injury at some point, his ability to absorb and play that physical style also helps. I wouldn't change it, though! Fun to watch and that's how he plays, he wouldn't be as effective playing like an Ennis

Farm