Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Sabres

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    This article seems to have been written to promote Connolly, but all I kept thinking while reading it is that Ruff deserves coach of the year if they make the playoffs:

http://www.hockeyrhetoric.com/2011/03/08/connolly-now/
    Hey, thanks, STONE...just skimmed over it, and while I almost gave a knee-jerk response, I think I would like to really give this some more thought and provide a more detailed rebuttal.

Might be my weekend project...I like this kinda stuff. Thanks, man.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Guru

Yeah, I'm not an expert on the Sabres, but I was a frustrated Connolly owner this year (just dealt him at our deadline). I was a bit surprised to see this so strongly in his defense.

I'm more impressed with what the Sabres have done this year (and most years for that matter):

Battling for a playoff spot with Connolly, Gaustad and Gerbe down the middle?
    Roy starts the season PPG, but only plays 35. Stafford and Pominville have missed pretty decent blocks of time too.
    After Myers, it's hard to get excited about any of their d-men really.

Vanek probably deserves a lot of credit for his solid season, and Miller is always a game-changer, but considering this team doesn't LOOK like a playoff team -- yet they're always in the mix.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Yeah, and I don't want to bash the article right off....which is why I want to read it again and digest it a bit more...but I'm a little perplexed as to what the author's point is.

Sabres should thank Connolly for...???
    Connolly is in the Sabres long term plans because...???

I dunno...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

I own Gerbe in a deep 30 team league - what can you tell me about him, his game and realistic expectations?

I know Dobber rambles about him once in a while, but it would be nice to hear it from someone who follows the Sabres.

Also, what do you expect from Roy next season given the streak he was on pre-injury and the arrival of Boyes. Will they be dynamite (along with Vanek)?

Thanks!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

STONE (or anyone else), you can go back to the site you provided, and look at the exchange between myself and the author of that blog. If I have time over the weekend to critique his original post, I will set it up here Sat or Sun.

Gates, big guy, I'll get to your question later. And a good one at that!

Thanks, gentlemen.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Padawan

Welcome to the team Bomm
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

Quote Originally Posted by bballplyr321 View Post
    Welcome to the team Bomm
    Thanks, bball, glad to a part of the crew and have the opportunity to contribute.
    @SmittysRant

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    I own Gerbe in a deep 30 team league - what can you tell me about him, his game and realistic expectations?

I know Dobber rambles about him once in a while, but it would be nice to hear it from someone who follows the Sabres.

Also, what do you expect from Roy next season given the streak he was on pre-injury and the arrival of Boyes. Will they be dynamite (along with Vanek)?

Thanks!
    Gates....sorry for the delay. This work-thing is a bitch!

I wanted to get a reply out to ya before I work on my summary for tonights game. So I hope this helps, although it's a bit shorter an analysis than I wanted.

In short: Gerbe is very quick, elusive, tenacious (for an Oompa-Loompa), and has realistic 80pt upside....heavier on the goals than the assists...leveling around 70-75. In a 30 team deep league, he's a keeper.

That said, with Pegula in town, next year is such a wild card. While I don't anticipate Gerbe being moved, I believe all but few are safe (long term), and personally i don't put Gerbe in that mix. The likelihood he's moved is slim, but it would not surprise me if Pegula has to package him in order to obtain a bigger bodied center (connolly's replacement).

See thing is I expect guys like Grier, Niedermayer (ufa), Connolly (ufa) to be moved, and Pegula may have to package a prospect in order to get the return he wants. That's where Gerbe is vulnerable.

I think Gerbe is best served as a center...oddly enough...because of his quickness he can get to any spot on the ice fast, creating space with his speed and remain unscathed. He would be best served paired with a big-bodied banger feeding him while he's on the fly. When he stops...that's when he becomes vulnerable - whether it be losing the puck or getting drilled.

As the offseason progresses, I will be conducting full-on review of all players/prospects and where they may or may not fit in with the Sabres long range plans.

Now....Roy will have with Boyes exactly what I said Gerbe needs above. Roy will easily (assumed healthy) hit 75-80pts with Boyes and Vanek.

Hope this helps.
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres @ Bruins - Thursday, 3/10/2001 7pm

This will be a battle of two teams needing a win - Bruins are coming of an embarrassing loss to the Canadiens; and the Sabres are coming off a tough but penalty filled loss to the Penguins.

Bruins are playing for pride, while the Sabres are playing to maintain playoff position. Have no doubt, this will be a battle. Furthermore, the Sabres will be hyper-vigilant (justified or not) when it comes to Chara (a/k/a Dorkzilla) and his antics. One perceived cheap shot to Ennis or Gerbe, and you bet it will be brawling time.

Therefore, I like the big bodies in this game, w/ fantasy implications as follows:

• Hecht, Weber, Kaleta - OUT
    • Vanek, Morrisonn and Mancari - IN
    • Miller gets the start w/ Enroth backing up (bet he's havin' a blast this week)
    • Must starts: Vanek, Boyes, Stafford, McCormick (PIMs), Myers and Sekera
    • Start 'Em If Ya Have To: Ennis, Gerbe and Pommer
    • News reports have lines projected as: Pominville-Hecht-Vanek, Ennis-Boyes-Stafford, Gerbe-Connolly-McCormick and Niedermayer-Gaustad-Grier

I really like that Ennis-Boyes-Stafford line...a lot! But the way Ruff breaks up lines, who knows.

Go Sabres!
    @SmittysRant

HAAAAAAA!!!! Man I don't know how they do it, but they do it!

F-in awesome win, Sabres!!! Analysis in the morning....
    @SmittysRant

Default Sabres 4 @ Bruins 3 (OT) - Post Game Review

Wow.

That really sums it up for me. What a way to bounce back from the loss against the Pens; what a way to overcome a two point deficit; what a way to just plain battle. Sabres are now tied for 7th overall w/ Rangers.

Impressed the shit outta me.

Some points for consideration:

• Sabres have an incredible road record (19-11-5). This will bode well, come playoffs (he says, knocking on wood)
    • Stafford left the game w/ the ever vague LBI. I was as surprised as anyone because I did not see the incident nor do I have anymore info on the injury itself. I will be sure to update throughout the day as the situation develops
    • McCormick did not let down on the the anticipated PIMs. That fight in the first period was smart - set the tone. Guy steps up when he has to, as evidenced by his second fight w/ Lucic. McCormick didn't do as well as he could have but he didn't back down either. I like his grit.
    • Sabres had a 5-on-3 PP in the second period. Saddest effort I've ever seen. I thought we were doomed, from that point on.
    • Myers is getting really good at not only gaining the blue line, but also using his reach to protect the puck while gaining the zone. He's developing quite well.
    • Ha! I think I'm on to Sekera's gambit! He purposefully f**ks up, so that he can then, in turn, rescue the team from his blunders thereby looking like the hero. Much like the fireman whos sets a house ablaze, then runs in to rescue the family to make himself look good.
    • In all seriousnees though...Sekera did look better on the back check, and made quick, short, crisp passes to gain neutral zone...instead of trying to skate with it himself. Kudos for knowing your limitations and playing w/in yourself. Overall I thought he had a good game - with the exception of the one big blunder in the third.
    • Ennis: f-ing awesome puck control and patience. Allows play to develop while using quick hands and shiftiness to protect the puck. His goal was evidence of this, as he waited for the exact moment he wanted to shoot the puck. His assist was pretty too. Great vision and elusive. Kid will be dyn-O-mite!
    • Gerbe...not quite to Ennis' level. Same skill set, but a little more raw than Ennis. Damn good and fun as hell to watch, but a year or two away from being a true impact player.
    • Also on Gerbe, he won't back down from anyone (see: Horton). I like that.
    • Bruins are VERY territorial in front of their net/goaltender. The Sabres need more of that tenacity in front of Miller.
    • However....the Bruins have to be the most easily aggitated/rattled team in the NHL. Oh, you'll take your lumps as the opposition, but it is well worth it. Drawing the Bruins into a penalty is easier than giving a kid a candy bar. Seriously, you want to beat the Bruins on their ice get under their skin - late check here, an extra poke there...it's easy.
    • Too easy.

Sabres are off 'till tomorrow when they face TK's Leafs...should be another good one. I'll keep ya posted on Staff's injury and don't forget Enroth will be playing eith Sat or Sun (probably Sun).

See ya...

EDIT: Stafford tweaked a hamstring. Didn't sound too serious the way Ruff described it, but his status is unknown for Sat vs Leafs. Will keep you posted.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; March 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM.
    @SmittysRant

Today's a day-off for me, what w/ two games over the weekend but I didn't want to leave hanging anyone who might be prepping a line up for a weekly league. Here's an update from last nights bruise-fest. From BuffaloNews.com (yes, I cheated..sue me)....

The road-warrior Buffalo Sabres returned home for a little while today and practiced in HSBC Arena. There were missing quite a few players.

Forwards Drew Stafford, Patrick Kaleta, Paul Gaustad and Mike Grier, defensman Chris Butler and goaltender Patrick Lalime all skipped the workout with various injuries and ailments. Here's the rundown:

Stafford, hamstring: "He's just going to be day-to-day," coach Lindy Ruff said. "Obviously, he wasn't able to skate today. We'll re-evaluate. I would just put him in the questionable category for tomorrow [at Toronto]."
    Kaleta, knee: "The update is a severe bone bruise," Ruff said. "He's got his leg immobilized now for a short period of time, so he’s going to be out at least another week and probably longer."
    Gaustad: "We'll see. He's being evaluated right now for upper body."
    Grier, who returned from a groin injury for Thursday's 4-3 overtime win in Boston, took a "maintenance day."
    Butler: "Butler is upper body, too, and we'll see how he is tomorrow."
    Lalime: "Does anyone really care about Lalime?" Ruff retorted,
    [....ok...ok...actually that was me. I just couldn't resist ]

Ooooo....look at that, it's almost beer-thirty! Gotta run, until tomorrow!!
    @SmittysRant

Exclamation Sabres @ Maple Leafs - 7pm MSG, NHL Network

Sorry, i'm about an hour behind schedule today so this finds you a little late but hopefully with enough time to be helpful.

Well, I'm torn w/ this game (not really). Sabres need to win to maintain their playoff presence, that much is obvious. As a fan, this is priority numero uno!

However (he says hesitantly), my opponent is starting Miller, Ennis and McCormick (PIMs). Also, my opponent and I are currently tied for first in our division and number 1 overall. This is the final game-week of our regular season the winner between us gets top seed and a bye week which also guarantees $$$$. Lastly, if the Sabres win (or should I say "when"?) then TK is going whine incessantly, and all of Dobber Hockey will never hear the end of "how the Sabres cheated!" and how "the game was rigged!".

Eh....I can live w/ that!

GAME INFO:

Gaustad, Stafford, Butler, Kaleta - OUT
    Hecht, Weber and Mancari - IN

Apparently, Gaustad has a sore shoulder from his fight vs McQuaid (Bruins). He is likely to play Sunday vs Senators.

Stafford has a sore groin (not hammy, as originally thought) and will sit out Sunday, but is aiming for Tues vs 'Canes.

Sabres skipped their practice session today, electing instead to rest (man playing the Bruins is a bitch). I am sorry to say I have no idea what the lines are.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Bomm,

Just thought I'd write a note of condolence to long time Swordsmen fans for the untimely passing of Rick Martin. It was so cool to see him out on the ice for Pegula's introduction with Perrault & Robert. I know he was a King at the end of his career, but I'll always remember him as part of the French Connection.

Default Rick Martin - July 26, 1951- March 13, 2011

Thanks, MCT, appreciate the sentiment.

As MCT has stated, and what I learned about a half-hour ago while at the gym, former Buffalo Sabres Rick Martin, the fifth overall pick in the 1971 draft, died today of an apparent heart attack while driving his car on Main St in Clarence, NY (suburb of Buffalo).

Known as one-third of the famous trio, The French Connection, Martin played in 685 games while amassing 384 goals and 317 assists - his most notable year was 1974-75 when he earned 52 goals/95 points in a mere 68 games. Martin holds Sabres franchise career records for hat tricks, four goal games, 40 goal seasons, consecutive 40 goal seasons, 50 goal seasons (tied with Danny Gare), consecutive 50 goal seasons. [stats per wiki]

He is survived by his wife Mikey, and his two sons Corey and Josh.

Rest in peace, warrior. You will be missed.
    @SmittysRant