Page 79 of 97 FirstFirst ... 29 69 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1450

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Vancouver Canucks

So I haven't been following the draft at all until recently, but after the Canucks picked Podkolzin I got to reading some of the scouting reports out there and I have to say I'm really pleased with this pick. From what I'm reading it sounds like they might have struck gold with this pick, with some risk.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    So I haven't been following the draft at all until recently, but after the Canucks picked Podkolzin I got to reading some of the scouting reports out there and I have to say I'm really pleased with this pick. From what I'm reading it sounds like they might have struck gold with this pick, with some risk.
    I'm not unhappy. I worry a bit about some of the red flags (2-year KHL contract, questionable work ethic at times, etc), but I like that they went upside. I was worried.
    Best case scenario, we get a stud. Worst case, Nichushkin.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Pro

don't like that they picked a russian signed for 2 years. Sure they want big T to come back over.
    don't like the trade for Miller.
    don't like that they traded most of their middle picks away in a year they are drafting at home.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hoglander looks like a solid pick atleast?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Agree with hawkdog. Podkolzin on the team gives Tryamkin someone to talk to and like Benning said, whoever they drafted at 10th wouldnt see the NHL for two years anyway. Where it not for the contract/Russian factor, Pod would be a top 5 pick.

After a good first day at the draft Benning got a bit too cocky with the JT Miller deal. Now making the playoffs this year hurts the team’s rebuild even more.

Dobber Sports Ninja

What's the latest on Juolevi?

Dobber Sports Pro

Canucks not qualifying Hutton or Granlund??
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Veteran

Forget Granlund. Hutton apparently could have gone to arbitration and would have got close to $4M so they chose not to qualify him. They can still get him via free agency at a lower price. Surprisingly intelligent move.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Not an intelligent move if your plan is to keep him. I feel like he will get an offer close to what he's projected to get in free agency, and would you really want to go back to your old team after they basically said they don't want to pay you what a third party believes is fair value for you? I wonder if there's any history of a player not getting extended a qualifying offer and signing with their original team for less.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Not an intelligent move if your plan is to keep him. I feel like he will get an offer close to what he's projected to get in free agency, and would you really want to go back to your old team after they basically said they don't want to pay you what a third party believes is fair value for you? I wonder if there's any history of a player not getting extended a qualifying offer and signing with their original team for less.
    with Benning? I don't think so. Other teams have done it in the past. I believe the Leafs did it two years ago, but with less established players
    This is a gamble by Benning,
    but.

If I'm not mistaken. If they went to arbitration and Hutton gets 4m. They can only sign him for max 2-years. Pretty sure Arb awards are 1 or 2 years depending on the player's pro-status.

If they want Hutton long term at a price sub 4m (3.5m) and this has been discussed with Hutton beforehand. It's not a horrible move.
    The news of Myers and 7x7 would make me walk if I were Hutton.
    better D and not worth 4m to them? Pfft. I'll go make 3m for someone else.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    with Benning? I don't think so. Other teams have done it in the past. I believe the Leafs did it two years ago, but with less established players
    This is a gamble by Benning,
    but.

If I'm not mistaken. If they went to arbitration and Hutton gets 4m. They can only sign him for max 2-years. Pretty sure Arb awards are 1 or 2 years depending on the player's pro-status.

If they want Hutton long term at a price sub 4m (3.5m) and this has been discussed with Hutton beforehand. It's not a horrible move.
    The news of Myers and 7x7 would make me walk if I were Hutton.
    better D and not worth 4m to them? Pfft. I'll go make 3m for someone else.
    If this is the case, then I think it makes sense. Though a lot of what I'm reading has basically said that LHD wise the Canucks might already be full up with Edler Hughes and Juolevi, but I guess a lot hinges on Juolevi.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If this is the case, then I think it makes sense. Though a lot of what I'm reading has basically said that LHD wise the Canucks might already be full up with Edler Hughes and Juolevi, but I guess a lot hinges on Juolevi.
    There's been a lot of misinformation on Juolevi the past two years
    The false Fortnite rumour.. the out of shape rumour in Liiga
    then last year he gets called a bust for suffering a season ending injury.

The kid has been trending up the past two seasons. He led his Liiga team in ice time during their playoff run.
    He was having a really, really good first seasons in the AHL.

I started buying Juolevi in pools. Price is cheap.

I think he makes the team out of camp. He'll earn it. As long as he's fully recovered.
    it's still really stupid to toss a Dman who can play in the top 4 to UFA. There's value there.

Having that depth of a 4th LD would be good asset management. Least until they found a trade partner.
    This team is so yo-yo with their asset management

Dobber Sports Jedi

Juolevi has been skating for the past two weeks.
    A question mark if he'll be ready at the start of camp - they should take their time with him

Tryamkin has expressed a desire to return to Vancouver for 20/21

Podkolzin has said pretty explicitly he intends to come over to the NHL at the conclusion of his KHL contract. 21/22 season.
    I don't see what the issue is? He's a top 3 talent that slipped to 10 because of a 2 year wait... TWO YEARS!!

Some recent picks at #10:
    Ritchie - 1yr OHL. 1yr split OHL/AHL
    Nichushkin - okay... skipping
    Rantanen spent a 1 year and a tease in the AHL before cracking the Aves team 38pts in 74gp
    Jost - 1 year before turning pro - 22pts in 65 gp. Some would argue a second NCAA would have been beneficial
    Tippett - entering D+2 - no guarantees he'll get more than another cup of coffee. Likely spend most of the year in the AHL.

Outside of Rantanen.. no one was ready for full time in the NHL entering Draft year +2. So he gets 2yrs vs. men. Arguably, it delays his arrival by a year... or half a year if he were in North America playing.

A couple years didn't hurt Dylan Strome. Probably could have helped Puljujarvi

Podz has a mad ceiling. He'll be worth the wait. work ethic.. can easily be a minor maturity issue he'll grow out of. The way he battles for pucks. I'd wager he does.

It's the JT Miller trade that should piss people off more than the Podkolzin pick.
    It's a lie to fans that this team is ready to compete now.
    It's not. It forces the team to compete now, rather than continue to rebuild - the rebuild has been the shits anyway.
    There's no singular focus or direction.
    Draft elite skill - sign fledgling vets for too long and too much money.
    Send away extra picks rather than move assets with value and acquire extra.
    They could have gotten a 1st and a prospect for Tanev two years ago.. #fail. Now... if they get a 2nd rounder - blessings are good.
    Invest nothing in Utica to assist them developing the prospects.

Name the last drafted prospect to spend a full season in Manitoba or Utica to make a top 6 impact?
    If you guessed Ryan Kesler - you'd be correct. Burrows wasn't drafted - but arrived similar time frame... splitting hairs if you care.
    How is that bloody well possible? That's 15 years.

Baertchi doesn't count - not drafted by Van
    Horvat 5 games - coming back from injury - doesn't count.

Demko - a goalie, Juolevi - the closest thing to it, but a Dman.

Good luck Lind & Gadjovich.
    Wellwood made the smart decision - back to school. He's got a good agent - "be ready to make the jump to the Canucks, you're career will disappear faster than you can say Pogge if you go to Utica"
    Madden also staying in school - also smart.

I digress.

2-years outside of Utica - playing in one of the best non-NHL leagues is the best place for Podkolzin.
    Instead of arriving in 12mths as a 35pt player... He may well arrive ready to push 60.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah your points on Juolevi are really good, and I read an article recently that was also trying to debunk the notion that Juolevi has in some way disappointed or not developed well. It really has been a product of the Vancouver media and people just not paying attention to what's going on. I think we'll get to see him this season.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Juolevi has been skating for the past two weeks.
    A question mark if he'll be ready at the start of camp - they should take their time with him

Tryamkin has expressed a desire to return to Vancouver for 20/21

Podkolzin has said pretty explicitly he intends to come over to the NHL at the conclusion of his KHL contract. 21/22 season.
    I don't see what the issue is? He's a top 3 talent that slipped to 10 because of a 2 year wait... TWO YEARS!!

Some recent picks at #10:
    Ritchie - 1yr OHL. 1yr split OHL/AHL
    Nichushkin - okay... skipping
    Rantanen spent a 1 year and a tease in the AHL before cracking the Aves team 38pts in 74gp
    Jost - 1 year before turning pro - 22pts in 65 gp. Some would argue a second NCAA would have been beneficial
    Tippett - entering D+2 - no guarantees he'll get more than another cup of coffee. Likely spend most of the year in the AHL.

Outside of Rantanen.. no one was ready for full time in the NHL entering Draft year +2. So he gets 2yrs vs. men. Arguably, it delays his arrival by a year... or half a year if he were in North America playing.

A couple years didn't hurt Dylan Strome. Probably could have helped Puljujarvi

Podz has a mad ceiling. He'll be worth the wait. work ethic.. can easily be a minor maturity issue he'll grow out of. The way he battles for pucks. I'd wager he does.

It's the JT Miller trade that should piss people off more than the Podkolzin pick.
    It's a lie to fans that this team is ready to compete now.
    It's not. It forces the team to compete now, rather than continue to rebuild - the rebuild has been the shits anyway.
    There's no singular focus or direction.
    Draft elite skill - sign fledgling vets for too long and too much money.
    Send away extra picks rather than move assets with value and acquire extra.
    They could have gotten a 1st and a prospect for Tanev two years ago.. #fail. Now... if they get a 2nd rounder - blessings are good.
    Invest nothing in Utica to assist them developing the prospects.

Name the last drafted prospect to spend a full season in Manitoba or Utica to make a top 6 impact?
    If you guessed Ryan Kesler - you'd be correct. Burrows wasn't drafted - but arrived similar time frame... splitting hairs if you care.
    How is that bloody well possible? That's 15 years.

Baertchi doesn't count - not drafted by Van
    Horvat 5 games - coming back from injury - doesn't count.

Demko - a goalie, Juolevi - the closest thing to it, but a Dman.

Good luck Lind & Gadjovich.
    Wellwood made the smart decision - back to school. He's got a good agent - "be ready to make the jump to the Canucks, you're career will disappear faster than you can say Pogge if you go to Utica"
    Madden also staying in school - also smart.

I digress.

2-years outside of Utica - playing in one of the best non-NHL leagues is the best place for Podkolzin.
    Instead of arriving in 12mths as a 35pt player... He may well arrive ready to push 60.
    I didn't know people were upset about the Podkolzin pick. I've been pretty happy with the pick and think it might be one of the best picks of the draft.

I'm okay with the Miller trade as well tbh. I think the lack of lottery protection on the picks is dumb as hell but I think Miller is a nice fit with Pettersson and Boeser and there's price certainty with him and he's here for the next 4 years. I agree with the basic message of what you're saying though.

Dobber Sports Guru

The Canucks should be inquiring about Gusev--Vegas still tight against the cap, he needs a contract, and adding a Russian now would be well-timed after drafting Podkolzin.
    Miller+Gusev would be much preferred to a lengthy Myers contract.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev