Page 2 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Sage

Rypien's first interview back with Manitoba.

Now THAT'S a beard. Reminds me of the "Shuswap Bushman". Give me back my beans, Rick.

http://www.moosehockey.com/featurevideos/284/19
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Rypien's first interview back with Manitoba.

Now THAT'S a beard. Reminds me of the "Shuswap Bushman". Give me back my beans, Rick.

http://www.moosehockey.com/featurevideos/284/19
    After watching this interview, the feeling I get is that Rypien was dealing with depression. Any other thoughts?

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Lines in practice today:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
    Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
    Torres-Malhotra-Hansen
    Glass-Lapierre-Higgins

Tambellini has been skating as an extra dman...

Higgins and Raymond are both game time decisions.

Cory Schneider WILL get the start in San Jose.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    After watching this interview, the feeling I get is that Rypien was dealing with depression. Any other thoughts?

This is what I've heard mentioned by Team 1040 in the past. Hope he's back to stay.

Re: Lines,

Good to see Cory getting another start so soon. Rest for Lou with the travel and keeps goalie 1B sharp.
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Dobber Sports Sage

Both Mason Raymond and Chris Higgins draw into the lineup tonight. Excited to see Higgins out there. Assuming the lines will look like this... will confirm when I know:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrow
    Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
    Torres-Malhotra-Hansen
    Glass-Lapierre-Higgins

Could see Raymond and Higgins swap it up a bit, depending on results. Excited to see what the forward group should look like for the playoffs!

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Icon

Anyone know why they're starting Schneider tonight? Big game against the Sharks, I guess they want to test him.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He's coming off an impressive shutout against the Ducks. This has been what the Canucks have done all year with these two and I say they've managed them both very well. Luongo has much less pressure without the C and knowing he has a backup goalie that wins him games. Vancouvers done well with their goaltending.
    1 year:
    Player stats: G, A, PMs, SOGs
    Goalie stats: SV, GA, W, SO

Forwards: D. Sedin, E. Staal, Vanek, Hall, Bergeron, Marchand, Lupul, Clarkson, Voracek, Tanguay, Stepan, Ryder
    Defence: Chara, Boyle,
    Goalies: Rask, Miller, Khubodin, Peters
    IR

Dobber Sports Sage

They're playing him because they want Luongo rested for the playoffs, and Schneider getting all the experience he can. Vancouver sits in a good position and are feeding the confidence Schneider has gained. If you have two goaltenders who are capable of winning games, share the load. Have them both at 100% for the playoffs.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

And oh my god what a game and what goaltending.. Best game I've watched all year. Cory Shneider is an absolute beast, we've managed him well. It's going to be a sad and gloomy day when we have to part with the kid.. I just hope if he goes they send him somewhere where he will really grow because he should be a main goalie somewhere.
    1 year:
    Player stats: G, A, PMs, SOGs
    Goalie stats: SV, GA, W, SO

Forwards: D. Sedin, E. Staal, Vanek, Hall, Bergeron, Marchand, Lupul, Clarkson, Voracek, Tanguay, Stepan, Ryder
    Defence: Chara, Boyle,
    Goalies: Rask, Miller, Khubodin, Peters
    IR

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I keep hearing people in my circles say, "I wonder what we can get for Schneider?" or some variation thereof. I keep saying, "A bunch of wins and arguably the best back up in the league" (though some in Boston may disagree).

In other words, we don't need to trade him this off-season. Keep him and enjoy the wins and the run at the Presidents Trophy this year and next. Keep him and relax with the security that in the event of slump or the "I" word, you have depth in the most important position in the playoffs this year and next.

I know he'll be an RFA by end of next season, but in my way of thinking, you don't develop assets to trade them, you develop them to improve depth and WIN (except in situations where you have a glaring weakness and a glaring over abundance). Until Lack shows he's ready, which I think is another year away, I'm in the camp that says keep Cory.

Great game last night.

Edit: I was till typing before seeing Unlevel's post. I feel the same. I just hope we hold on to him as long as possible, with respect given to knowing he deserves to be #1 somewhere eventually.

Edit#2: Noticed a thread in Goldie's Thread that speaks well on the goalie situation, starts out on Lack but gets hijacked to Schneider.
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ewpost&t=99262
    Last edited by MoreCanadianTeams; March 11, 2011 at 6:23 PM. Reason: Added link
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Another entertaining game, good to see the comeback, though I wouldn't have minded seeing O/T to earn Calgary a point....need to see as many teams north of 49 playing in mid-April as possible.

Aside from the obvious play of the Sedins and the PP unit, it was impressive how HNIC was speaking of Kesler's mini slump and how he's been working on his shot...and then BOOM! there goes a wrister overpowering Kipper.

What did you think of Ballard last night Ryan? I liked how he moving the puck out of the zone and he had some really good rushes, though one early rush ended in him just getting crushed. Hamhuis seemed to have a tough start but played really strong in the 2nd half of the game. I also thought that even though he allowed 3 goals, Lou made the saves he needed to.

I was mentioning to the wife last night that Vancouver's demeanor kind of reminds me of Detroit. They don't really panic, maintain their composure. HNIC highlighted a segment where Van fell down 2-0 and you would have thought it was still 0's by the look of everyone on the bench.

I like how they can play a patient style from behind but also handle the physical play. Before the road trip they seemed to have lulled into average and didn't seem to be showing any real identity, but this road trip appears to have re-energized them and they're peaking at the right time.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Ryan, Have you heard anything more specific on Bieksa's return date? I looked back on some threads as well as checking out Vancouver news but I haven't picked up anything solid. I'm guessing he's back during this home stand?

Dobber Sports Guru

Just read this article on President's Trophy Winners:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/3/1...couver-canucks

Although there's some time left in this regular season, it's interesting to see some stats as the Nucks lead the way. According to this history, let's hope the Canucks keep running away from the rest of the league -- those that do, do well in the playoffs.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Sage

Sorry for the lack of updates/answers lately... took a trip up to the ski hill and managed to pound back a few too many at the same time!

-Vancouver finished their latest road trip a perfect 5-0. Kind of a big deal considering how poorly they were playing before the trip, and the fact that they are still missing Edler and Bieksa. Getting by so "easily" is pretty incredible considering the amount of minutes both Bieksa and Edler eat up.

-The powerplay, which was terrible after losing Edler on the 1st unit has gone off for 8 goals in it's last 5 games, including the game against Minnesota tonight. One from Daniel and another by Kesler on the PP,and including an early goal from Torres (14th on the season) has the Canucks up 3-0 on Minnesota after the first period, spoiling a Mikko Koivu return.

-Luongo has made some huge stops to keep Van in the lead. His energy seems high and the Cory Schneider effect keeps on giving! Luongo took a puck off the sholder at the end of the third, looked to sting a bit but showed no ill effects.

-I don't understand how Samuelsson put up the points he did this year. He is so hot and cold, and has made some pretty brutal turnovers this year. Samuelsson could be a 60 point guy if he was more consistent. Frustrating guy to watch.

-Jannik Hansen is very underrated. He's that name that you only know if you watch the Canucks play, otherwise it's "Jannik who?" Quietly putting together a very solid season in real hockey terms.

-Vancouver had a bad game for minor penalties. Looked much like the team last year, a bit undisciplined and out of control. Max Lapierre was guilty of this late in the game with a goaltender interference call. Kesler also took two minors.

-Speaking of Kesler and penalties, one of his two minors was in the last 2:10 of the game. Minnesota couldn't much going and Kesler ended up scoring the empty netter for two goals on the night.

-The PP was rolling tonight as was the penalty kill. Minnesota went 0-6 on the PP, including a long 2 man advantage.

-Chris Higgins does a lot of standing around. I don't know if it's rust or a real lack of hockey sense but he doesn't appear to want to skate for anything. Very slow with the puck, and seemed to struggle with making decisions.

-Max Lapierre uses his size very well. That's about it.

-Sami Salo left the game after taking a slap shot off the hip. Also, the sky is blue.

Other news:

-Andrew Alberts had his cast removed, no timetable for return.

-There is an outside chance Kevin Bieksa returns on Wednesday. More likely Friday.
    Last edited by ridinryan44; March 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    I keep hearing people in my circles say, "I wonder what we can get for Schneider?" or some variation thereof. I keep saying, "A bunch of wins and arguably the best back up in the league" (though some in Boston may disagree).

In other words, we don't need to trade him this off-season. Keep him and enjoy the wins and the run at the Presidents Trophy this year and next. Keep him and relax with the security that in the event of slump or the "I" word, you have depth in the most important position in the playoffs this year and next.

I know he'll be an RFA by end of next season, but in my way of thinking, you don't develop assets to trade them, you develop them to improve depth and WIN (except in situations where you have a glaring weakness and a glaring over abundance). Until Lack shows he's ready, which I think is another year away, I'm in the camp that says keep Cory.

Great game last night.

Edit: I was till typing before seeing Unlevel's post. I feel the same. I just hope we hold on to him as long as possible, with respect given to knowing he deserves to be #1 somewhere eventually.

Edit#2: Noticed a thread in Goldie's Thread that speaks well on the goalie situation, starts out on Lack but gets hijacked to Schneider.
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ewpost&t=99262
    This is spot on, and the same way management feels, IMO. Schneider is far too much of an insurance policy in so many ways. If Luongo gets hurt, I'm not too worried. If Luongo isn't playing well, Schneider will see more starts. He'll be pushing Luongo all season, and at the same time giving him the much needed rest he thought he never needed.

I, too, think we will hang on to Schneider for next season. Can you find a better backup at $900,000? I don't think so. The only way he gets moved is if an offer comes along that is too good to refuse. Vancouver is in such a good position with him that a big offer could come to fruition. My opinion is that if Eddy Lack shows more improvement next year and really tears up the AHL, Vancouver will be a little more willing to trade him at the trade deadline. Move him before he can receive an offer sheet, and maximize return. We won't be forced to trade him and that's a pretty enviable position. I only see him going out East as Van would hate to have a poor choice come back to haunt them. The teams I could see with the most interest would be Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Philly.

Farm