Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Vancouver Canucks

Hi. I am Ryan. I like the Vancouver Canucks very much. I am 30 years old and seriously under-motivated.. unless it comes to fantasy hockey.

In all seriousness, I am probably your proto-typical hockey fan who grew up watching hockey with his dad yelling "TOUCHDOWN" every time a puck went in the net. As time passed and I began to hoard away hockey cards by taking advantage of kids who didn't know the "corners" rule in one of the many hockey card games I would play in elementary school, my hobby began to turn into more of an obsession.

My dad was a Canucks fan, thus, so am I. I remember the days of Jyrki Lumme and Gino Odjick. Trevor Linden and Kirk McLean. I remember being on a field trip in Victoria and screaming out the windows of my dorm when Geoff Courtnall wristed home a game winner during the '94 playoff run. One of my favorite moments of all time was attending a Blazers game during game 7 of round 1 against the Calgary Flames. Some dude was listening to the Canucks game on a little radio and in the middle of the Blazers game, this guy started jumping up and down in his chair, screaming like a 2 year old getting a haircut. Word slowly spread through the crowd, and it was like watching the "wave" come to life as it was made aware throughout the arena that Pavel Bure had just scored on a breakaway at the end of double OT to win the series. Pavel Bure. What a stud.

That year ended in heartbreak, and I can remember Trevor Linden lining up in the face-off circle against Mark Messier in an attempt to get a quick shot off to send game 7 to OT. It didn't happen, and that brings back memories of the infamous Vancouver riots. Kinda felt like that same riot was going on my head at the time, but was it ever worth it to get there.

My love for the Canucks has only grown stronger since then, and I look forward to passing on game highlights, reviews and my thoughts on everything from needs, to prospect analysis, as well as rumors and my own personal thoughts on the team. It's a good time to be a Canucks fan, so if anyone needs a reason, I'd be happy to oblige!
    Last edited by ridinryan44; March 7, 2011 at 5:30 PM.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

With three canucks on my squad, I look forward to reading your stuff Ryan. It's great to see that Vancouver is represented.

Welcome Aboard!

The Magnificent One

WOW awesome timing to join up and be a writer for the canucks.

NEED ASAP update on raymond. i saw a tweet that he was practacing? but not sure if that was real. can you find out any updates. I am working on a deadline deal today to land raymond and if he is dtd for the next week or so i dont know if it makes sense to get him.

Thank you. and welcome and cant wait to hear your stuff.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    WOW awesome timing to join up and be a writer for the canucks.

NEED ASAP update on raymond. i saw a tweet that he was practacing? but not sure if that was real. can you find out any updates. I am working on a deadline deal today to land raymond and if he is dtd for the next week or so i dont know if it makes sense to get him.

Thank you. and welcome and cant wait to hear your stuff.
    Raymond is undergoing testing today. AV has reported that he is fine, but who knows what more tests could uncover. The collision with Perry didn't look bad, but he definitely felt it. Hoping it's just a stinger...

Canucks coach Alain Vigneault doesn't think Raymond's injury is serious, but Raymond will be re-evaluated on Monday. He has 11 goals and 21 assists in 56 games this season. Mar 7, 11:21 AM
    Source: Vancouver Province

I wouldn't bank on Raymond being much of a help to end out the season. It's been a tough go for him, and even Kesler is struggling lately. With Higgins due to return sometime on this road trip (give it a week or so) I could see Vancouver being careful with Raymond, so that he's fully healthy for the playoffs. He's definitely a good buy low, as I believe he is a 20-25 goal scorer, but he needs to find consistency. He loses confidence very quickly when he has a cold streak, and forgets to take advantage of his speed and go hard to the net when his confidence is low.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Really excited about this!

Welcome to the team Ryan
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Administrator

Glad to see you working in here. The Canucks are one of the most fascinating fantasy hockey teams because they have so many good point producers, and also because their depth can actually hinder some players. It's going to be nice having a correspondent in the trenches.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for picking up the torch Ryan. I've grown up with the Canucks too. The '94 run was epic, like when I followed the Cup run in '82, raising the white towels, King Richard et al.

I agree with Eric, the Canucks are the new Capitals, fantasy wise, with the depth of scoring and jockeying for positioning with the prospects.

One Canuck fan to another - I've really missed Edler, but seeing Tanev shine and grow has been exciting too. Good to see them weather the storm of injuries to D.

Again, looking forward to your posts. I expect there will be a lot of contributors.

Dobber Sports Sage

Edler has been a much bigger loss to the Canucks than I had figured. His first pass and knack for making long distance tape-to-tape passes is sorely missed. He forces teams to play the Canucks differently, and it wasn't ever so evident until he was gone. The depth on the PP, or lack thereof, is also a sore spot without him on the first unit. Where the top unit was once set in stone, leaving the 2nd unit with minor tweaks here and there, has thrown the PP into disarray and it's evident every game. His ability to get the puck through the crowd is great, and his incredible two-way play creates a huge hole. Here's to hoping he is back in time for the playoffs!

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Edler has been a much bigger loss to the Canucks than I had figured. His first pass and knack for making long distance tape-to-tape passes is sorely missed. He forces teams to play the Canucks differently, and it wasn't ever so evident until he was gone. The depth on the PP, or lack thereof, is also a sore spot without him on the first unit. Where the top unit was once set in stone, leaving the 2nd unit with minor tweaks here and there, has thrown the PP into disarray and it's evident every game. His ability to get the puck through the crowd is great, and his incredible two-way play creates a huge hole. Here's to hoping he is back in time for the playoffs!
    Any chance in him returning w/ in the next three weeks? There's an outside shot I get a bye for the first week of playoffs and would really love to be able to use him in the semi's.

Hedman's just not cuttin' it...
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sage

I wouldn't take the chance... his timeline has him listed to potentially return for the last week, but I don't see it happening. VAN will want his as healthy as possible for the playoffs and would rather see him sit and rest. Pretty big surgery so they'll take the patient route as there really is no positive to bringing him back early, or right when he's ready. I own him in both my keeper and H2H league and I have written him off for the season... I would recommend you do the same.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Eh...figured as much. Thanks, man.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Guru

Hey hey! A Canucks thread.

Thanks Ridinryan! Looking forward to the goods.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Sage

Mason Raymond will NOT play tonight.. though he is skating. He hopes to return on Thursday but will most likely be a game time decision. The worry here is that his shoulder was the one already injured earlier in the season. I'd stay away from Raymond for the time being. (Botchford)

AV has stated that Higgins has looked good in practice and is ready to return once he feels ready. Apparently he has joined the team in Phoenix, though reports state he will not play.

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

Rick Rypien is back with the Manitoba Moose and has been named to the final roster before the AHL freeze. He is on a "conditioning loan". Fantastic to see Ryp back in action, hopefully putting behind him what has ailed him through his young career. Love watching this guy beat up dudes twice as big!!

Farm

Prospect:
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

This was an exciting and fast paced game last night. Nice for a change as the Canucks have had a few snoozers as of late. They've really improved each game and tonight the energy and transition game was there. I didn't get a chance to watch the 3rd period, instead I watched "Case 39". Do not watch this movie. Watch hockey instead.

-Sedins saw some bounces go right and managed to get back on track, both posting 3 points. They moved the puck well and seemed to enjoy the game tonight.. this has been missing.

-Hank pulls into a tie with Stamkos at 79 points. Daniel extended his league-leading points total to 84, a nice 5 point lead. I see the Sedin's finishing 1-2.

-Great involvement from the defence tonight. Salo had one hell of a lucky goal, but sometimes you need those to get you going. Hamhuis made some great decisions on his pinches and sniped two nice goals for his work, one the OT winner. Both were well placed shots and Hammy now has 6 on the season. Great number for a guy who sees little PP time.

-Hamhuis still remains the "what if" dman in fantasy circles. He can really move the puck well and could be a 35-40 point guy if given the minutes. As it stands he has a respectable 20 points, +26 and almost 100 SOG. Not so bad in deeper leagues.

-Burrows had a chance to end the game in OT with a penalty shot, but failed to convert on his predictable backhander. The shot went a wide. I believe Alex bought Hammy dinner after the game.

-Yandle now only has 1 point in his last 7, but had a beauty of a wrister ring off the post early in the 1st period. All in due time. (yes I know he's not a Canuck, but I love him as if he were)

-Luongo was fantastic, stopping 31 shots. He made some key saves late to keep the score tied (thank you TSN highlights). Both teams kept it exciting with 34+ shots on net.

Up next is San Jose on Friday the 10th. Big statement game for both teams. Van is riding a high right now and is a perfect 3-0 on the road trip, thus far. They'd like the sweep. Raymond should be able to return, as should Higgins. I wouldn't be surprised to see Higgins fill the second line position in order to give Raymond a little more rest.

Farm