Page 82 of 97 FirstFirst ... 32 72 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 92 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1450

Thread: Vancouver Canucks

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Vancouver Canucks

Looking at the wild card I think they have a shot. I don't think their better then Calgary but I put them in the same breath as San Jose and Edmonton. More so Edmonton who is benefiting from the same schedule and some unsustainable play. As much as I agree one more year and one more top pick would of been better, with the Miller trade, I think it's important to make the playoffs this year and get rid of that 1st round pick, instead of going into next year knowing if things go wrong and your lottery team your screwed.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think they definitely have a wild card shot, especially if the goaltending holds up. A lot of nice pieces on this team.
    Like many, I thought the Miller deal was a little reckless, but he seems to be fitting in rather nicely.
    And I'm a huge Travis Green fan, so I hope they continue to improve as a club. At least enough to pass the Oilers.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I think they definitely have a wild card shot, especially if the goaltending holds up. A lot of nice pieces on this team.
    Like many, I thought the Miller deal was a little reckless, but he seems to be fitting in rather nicely.
    And I'm a huge Travis Green fan, so I hope they continue to improve as a club. At least enough to pass the Oilers.
    Ive said it on the Oilers thread...I don’t think they have the goaltending to compete. They’ve started well but I think they fade. I think the Canucks are in good shape. I really like what I’ve seen so far.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Ive said it on the Oilers thread...I don’t think they have the goaltending to compete. They’ve started well but I think they fade. I think the Canucks are in good shape. I really like what I’ve seen so far.
    This is how I compare the Canucks vs the Oilers.

Forwards- Canucks > Oilers
    Defence- Canucks > Oilers
    Goaltending- Canucks >> Oilers
    Game breakers- Oilers >> Canucks
    Coaching- Oilers > Canucks.

The Canucks have more forward depth but the Oilers have better game breakers. McDavid is the best player in the NHL and Drasatil is looking top 10. On defence I like the Canucks better with a healthy Tanev and Edler. That being said one or both of those guys get injured, then I swing it back to the Oilers. Goaltending I give a huge advantage to the Canucks, I think Markstrom will continue with his 2nd half performance of last year and prove to the hockey world he’s a top 10 tender in this league. As far as back ups, Demko might be better then both the Oilers goalies at this point in their respective careers. I gave the slight edge to Tippet in Coaching more based on experience and the fact that first year coaches on new teams tend to give the squad an artificial lift, see Willy D.

With all this being said I see Vegas and Calgary as clear cut better teams at this point. I think San Jose is better but they might of finally hit that wall. Their goaltending is awful and it’s hard to win like that. I think were clearly better then the Oilers and need to beat them to ensure we can make it in the post season.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    This is how I compare the Canucks vs the Oilers.

Forwards- Canucks > Oilers
    Defence- Canucks > Oilers
    Goaltending- Canucks >> Oilers
    Game breakers- Oilers >> Canucks
    Coaching- Oilers > Canucks.

The Canucks have more forward depth but the Oilers have better game breakers. McDavid is the best player in the NHL and Drasatil is looking top 10. On defence I like the Canucks better with a healthy Tanev and Edler. That being said one or both of those guys get injured, then I swing it back to the Oilers. Goaltending I give a huge advantage to the Canucks, I think Markstrom will continue with his 2nd half performance of last year and prove to the hockey world he’s a top 10 tender in this league. As far as back ups, Demko might be better then both the Oilers goalies at this point in their respective careers. I gave the slight edge to Tippet in Coaching more based on experience and the fact that first year coaches on new teams tend to give the squad an artificial lift, see Willy D.

With all this being said I see Vegas and Calgary as clear cut better teams at this point. I think San Jose is better but they might of finally hit that wall. Their goaltending is awful and it’s hard to win like that. I think were clearly better then the Oilers and need to beat them to ensure we can make it in the post season.
    I dunno....

Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, Russell/Bear vs. Edler, Tanev, Hughes, Myers

Hughes isn't at the level yet that I'd call him a golden ticket to slanting this D. I think at worst this is equal.

At least to start the season - Edm goalies are on par with Vancouver -- where they end up that's anyone's guess. I think you could make the argument that the elite level of Edm's top 2 forwards negates the depth advantage Vancouver might have.

They're both at best bubble teams this year though. Realistically, both teams best chance at getting into the playoffs is going to be San Jose struggling and giving up goals.

One also can't ignore Arizona - who probably has the better D than either team & equal, if not better depth at forward.

I'd put money on the Coyotes of the three as the team most likely to sustain a winning season & make the playoffs.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I dunno....

Klefbom, Nurse, Larsson, Russell/Bear vs. Edler, Tanev, Hughes, Myers

Hughes isn't at the level yet that I'd call him a golden ticket to slanting this D. I think at worst this is equal.

At least to start the season - Edm goalies are on par with Vancouver -- where they end up that's anyone's guess. I think you could make the argument that the elite level of Edm's top 2 forwards negates the depth advantage Vancouver might have.

They're both at best bubble teams this year though. Realistically, both teams best chance at getting into the playoffs is going to be San Jose struggling and giving up goals.

One also can't ignore Arizona - who probably has the better D than either team & equal, if not better depth at forward.

I'd put money on the Coyotes of the three as the team most likely to sustain a winning season & make the playoffs.
    I almost put them even on D. I put them slightly ahead though because I think Hughes has already taken that step and will continue to get even better by the end of the year. Just my opinion anyways. I will admit that I forgot about Arizona, which could end up higher in the standings then both Edmonton and Vancouver. Either way the starts these teams have had, is making it interesting in the early going. As they say in golf you can't win the tournament in round 1 but you can certainly lose it.

Dobber Sports Pro

Canucks need Virtanen to break out and a decrease in injuries (BB,sutter, edler Tanev - not to get injured).
    Canucks are getting some balanced scoring at the moment, the coilers are not.
    The coilers are screwed if McDavid's knee goes out.
    NA Hockey League 16 team H2H league multicat
    2010/2011 2014/2015 Champs

Saad, Kesler, Monahan, Ladd, T. Johnson, Hoffman, Neiderrieter, D. Sedin, O'Reilly, Hudler

Wideman, Barrie, Stralman, Muzzin, Enstrom, Vatanen

Miller, Lack, Elliot

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    Canucks need Virtanen to break out and a decrease in injuries (BB,sutter, edler Tanev - not to get injured).
    Agreed. I mean their is no denying there best players McDavid and Drastil are better then ours but if our best Players let's say Markstrom or Petterson go down, we have a lot better depth to weather the storm then if Edmonton loses McDavid or even Drastil for that matter.

Dobber Sports Veteran

OK so now Virtanen is "breaking out" and they are healthy. Boeser is suffering because of JV's maturation. Demko is making Markstrom look extraneous (yes I know, he is not proven). If Ferland is going to play again, where, as in one what line, or which league?

Do they try to trade JV and Marky? Or Boeser? They still have a hole in the top 6 currently filled by Loui Ericsson's Last Breath, so maybe that is where Boeser will slot in? Bo and Brock played well together before EP came to town. Do they do nothing and see how far this team takes them?

Fun times to be a fan, but boy oh boy there are some question marks right now, and it'll only get more complex after the season is over.

I watch every game, and have NO IDEA what the answers to these questions are, anyone?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    OK so now Virtanen is "breaking out" and they are healthy. Boeser is suffering because of JV's maturation. Demko is making Markstrom look extraneous (yes I know, he is not proven). If Ferland is going to play again, where, as in one what line, or which league?

Do they try to trade JV and Marky? Or Boeser? They still have a hole in the top 6 currently filled by Loui Ericsson's Last Breath, so maybe that is where Boeser will slot in? Bo and Brock played well together before EP came to town. Do they do nothing and see how far this team takes them?

Fun times to be a fan, but boy oh boy there are some question marks right now, and it'll only get more complex after the season is over.

I watch every game, and have NO IDEA what the answers to these questions are, anyone?
    As long as the team keeps winning and manages to stay in serious contention for a playoff spot, I don't think anything changes. Benning already basically went all-in on this season with the various signings and the trade for Miller in the offseason, so he can't afford to be thinking long-term right now. Also, the Canucks actually do seem like they can be contenders. I don't think they'll win the cup or anything but i think they could make a decent playoff run.

I wouldn't say Demko is making Markstrom look extraneous by any means. Demko is filling in sufficiently when needed but he's definitely far from a finished product, and Markstrom has been fantastic since he donned the Canuck jersey.

But yeah, after this season it's pretty much guaranteed that at least two of Tanev Markstrom and Stecher walk. They're going to need Juolevi to keep building on his recent success, and guys like Rafferty to fill the hole that's left behind. Odds are they lose Tanev...which hopefully doesn't have a huge negative impact on Hughes.

My suggestion - just enjoy this season, because they're locked in.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Great One

As a Boeser owner should I be concerned over this 3rd line usage/cold streak?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Veteran

Boeser was hanging around a PPG aside EP, yet was receiving criticism by the coach and media and the reason was unclear to me. Yes he is down on goal scoring from last year but when you have EP and Miller also filling the net someone has to get the assists right? SMH.
    Now that Virtanen has found a home in that cushy spot the question does become what to do with Brock because he can't drive that 3rd line between the french press and the rookie centre. As I said above, he could play along side Horvat, they have had success, but Loui does play better D than Boeser and it justifies the $6M a bit more having Loui in the top 6.

TL;DR - yes, im also concerned.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Boeser was hanging around a PPG aside EP, yet was receiving criticism by the coach and media and the reason was unclear to me. Yes he is down on goal scoring from last year but when you have EP and Miller also filling the net someone has to get the assists right? SMH.
    Now that Virtanen has found a home in that cushy spot the question does become what to do with Brock because he can't drive that 3rd line between the french press and the rookie centre. As I said above, he could play along side Horvat, they have had success, but Loui does play better D than Boeser and it justifies the $6M a bit more having Loui in the top 6.

TL;DR - yes, im also concerned.
    The short answer is: long-term no, short-term it's going to suck for a little bit.

Virtanen has really stepped up his game this season (what a surprise it's a contract year). There's been a lot of discourse about whether Virtanen has earned a shot to play with the top guys, or if his production has been a product of playing against weaker opponents being on that third line with Gaudette and Roussel. So far in his time with Miller and Pettersson he has played very well and as Green put it in his presser, he's making plays that last year, he wouldn't have made.

To be honest with you I haven't always been the biggest fan of Boeser. I felt that since his injury, he's a little too passive. Tends to reach for pucks instead of move his feet, shoots into the block far too often...but that's just my personal opinion. He's done a better job this year of getting into the dirty areas, which is an improvement from last year where he mostly played a perimeter shooting game. I've actually found that Green and the media actually love Boeser, and he is a good hockey player, so that's why I say long-term I think he's fine.

I think Green would have to be an idiot to break up the Eriksson-Horvat-Pearson line. That line has actually resurrected Eriksson from the dead, and Horvat and Pearson have great chemistry with each other.

I think ultimately they will go back to putting Jake on the third line and Brock back up to the Lotto line, but Green will ride the hot hand for now.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

I've said before, I really think Virtanen holds the key to Van taking a big step forward. if he can become a legit, CONSISTENT offensive threat & play both his heavy and skill game every shift - not one or the other, with speed. Then Van all of a sudden has a top 6 50+pt talent and 30 goal threat.

I'll throw this out there two.
    In 3 years - Olli Juolevi will be this teams best all around Dman
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post

I'm not a Van fan, but stuck in this market I'm smothered in it's annoying media. Ying meet Yang... Yikes.

Rant aside... the maturation & development of Virtanen has been fun to watch. He's finally learning to be a pro. A real one. Which means same commitment - every day.

His development and breakout has allowed Greene to test Boeser on a 3rd line to try and spread the offence across 3 lines.

What blows my mind more than Boeser on the 3rd line (temporarily) or Virtanen on the first line is the emergence of defunct Loui Erickson into a valuable role player with Horvat & Pearson. Kudo's to Greene for continuing to tinker until he found a home.

I don't know if it's due to Virtanen, but I'll stick to my prediction - he's turning into what I said he needed to be and Vancouver is 1st in the Pacific. He's responsible for the large step forward...

I think there's even more upside. The guy is really just starting to open up his potential. A top 6 forward they didn't know they had.

* I'll stick to my other prediction too... Juolevi will be in their top 4 by the end of the 22/23 season and will be their most relied upon Dman late in games and against top lines. The Tanev of today, just with more offence mixed into his game.

I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen the last of Ferland for this season.
    the teams largest problem is that bottom 6 - which is why Boeser is there. Last game vs. Nsh they were 49% CF - Green has 2 lines going. He's trying to lift up that 3rd line. Come playoffs teams will exploit that bottom 6 and Van won't last long. Boeser isn't the answer - he needs to be in the top 6. But he's a stop-gap at least.

Trade deadline: They could use a solid possession 3rd liner & a 4/5 shut-down Dman.

They can't keep burying their goalies with rubber. They're one of the worst teams in shots against at 5x5 in the NHL, if not the worst over the last two months. Eventually this Vezina level goal-tending is going to show cracks.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good to hear from you Lucafen, I know it hurts.

I dont think Boeser is suited for 3rd line duty, so some more tinkering may be required. If Brock was good in his own end then he should be in Erikssons slot?

While you are correct that they let too many shots go at their net, Markstrom feeds on it. Itll wear him down over the year but night to night more shots seems to be fuel for Marky. I think we agree on this point.

It was also mentioned we may lose Tanev, but that got me thinking Tryamkin! Willie D is gone and the Canucks arent sucking, and perhaps the Podkolzin pick may actually get Tryamkin to come back? He wont fill Tanevs role overnight but from what I saw of him he was a beast.