Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [March 7th] OHL Weekly Ramblings

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [March 7th] OHL Weekly Ramblings

March 7th Weekly Ramblings

OHL's Top February Monthly Performers

OHL's Player and Defenseman of the Month - Ryan Ellis, Windsor Spitfires
    - Ryan Ellis was named both the OHLs Player and Defenseman of the Month after leading the OHL in scoring for February with 27 points in 13 games.

OHL's Rookie of the Month - Nail Yakupov, Sarnia Sting
    - Nail claimed his third Rookie of the Month honour as he led all rookies with 17 points in 10 games.

OHL's Goaltender of the Month - Ramis Sadikov, Erie Otters
    - Sadikov posted a sparkling 7-1-0-0 record and was atop all OHL goaltending charts with a 2.12 GAA and a save percentage of 0.933 in eight February games.

The full press release can be found here

Hockeys Future Prospect of the Month (February 2011)

- Ryan Ellis has been name as Hockey's Future Prospect of the Month (February 2011). Honourable mentions go to Brad Thiessen (G), Blake Geoffrion (F) and Scott Glennie (F).

Ottawa Eyeing Another Franchise Swede?

- Check out the article I posted in the OHL section last Friday featuring top prospect Gabriel Landeskog

Dobber Thread
    Article Link

Poor Showings

- On Friday night the London Knights visited Mississauga and managed only 6 shots on goal. Yes, 6 SHOTS IN THE ENTIRE GAME. Pathetic! Mississauga almost had more goals than London had shots. The Majors won 5-0

- On Friday night my wife and I visited Sarnia's RBC Center to take in the Sarnia - Sault Ste. Marie game. Luckily, we didn't pay a dime for our tickets (we won them). This was the worst game I have seen Sarnia play this season. If we didn't buy 50/50 tickets, I would have left after the first period when Sarnia trailed 5-0.

- The Soo Greyhounds and Sarnia are pretty much battling it out for who gets 3rd and 4th overall in the upcoming OHL Priority Draft.

- A few observations of the Sting-Greyhounds' game:
    • Daniel Catenacci (SSM) was buzzing all over the ice and ended the game with 2 goals, 3 assists. His draft stock is RISING big time!
    • Yakupov still managed to record a goal (44th of the season) and an assist.
    • Galchenyuk was the only Sting player who put forth an honourable effort. The more I watch Galchenyuk play, the more I love the Marian Hossa comparison. He will be a Top 10 pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft IMO
    • Sarnia needs to draft/acquire some defense BADLY. Simply awful
    • Sarnia lost all three games this weekend. The scores were 10-4, 10-3 and 8-2. Terrible weekend!
    • Pittsburgh Penguins' prospect D man and Sarnia veteran, Joe Rogalski, was a minus-6 in the 8-2 Erie loss. Sarnia fans were calling for Rogalski's head on Friday night when we were there. I won a Rogalski jersey last year in a silent auction and I am ashamed to wear it I have taught Joe and he's a great kid but he is feeling the rath from having to play soooooo many minutes

MUST SEE: Fantastic OHL Goalie Fight

- Sarnia's goaltender Brandon Hope and Niagara's netminder Dalton McGrath throw down (video and article)

- Dalton McGrath speaks of the fight here in this blog

TSN Draftcenter Recent Article

- Craig Button writes his latest prospect article "Craig's List: Looking at a few of the top draft prospects" which features the OHLs Ryan Strome

Leafs' Prospects Continue Solid Play

- Greg McKegg (my favourite Leaf prospect) has continued his strong play as of late. He recorded 2 goals and an assist in Erie's 5-4 SO win over Guelph on Friday. McKegg is currently riding a 11 game point streak and has 12G, 11A and 23 points in his past14 games. McKegg continued his hot hand on Sunday when he recorded 2G and 2A against Sarnia. McKegg needs 4 goals to reach the 50-goal playeau. He currently sits in 8th in OHL scoring.

- Kitchener's Jerry D'Amigo has also been riding hot since arriving in the OHL 14 games ago. D'Amigo has only gone pointless twice and has 20 points (8G, 12A) helping Kitchener fly up the standings in the Western Conference.

Playoff Spots Becoming Finalized...

- With Sarnia's 10-4 Friday night loss to the Soo Greyhounds, the Guelph Storm have clinched the final playoff spot (8th) in the Western Conference. In no particular order, the Western playoff teams will be: Owen Sound, Saginaw, Kitchener, Windsor, Plymouth, Erie, London and Guelph

- Seven of eight playoff teams have been decided in the Eastern Conference. Belleville and Peterborough are battling for the final playoff spot and it will likely go down to the wire. Eastern teams that have clinched a playoff spot include: Mississauga, Ottawa, Niagara, Oshawa, Kingston, Brampton and Sudbury.

Injuries

- Casey Cizikas (Mississauga St. Michael Majors) injured his wrist/hand in Friday's contest versus the London Knights and is considered week-to-week. Cizikas was one of Canada's best players at the WJCs this past year and is a New York Islanders draftee.

OHL Sights and Sounds

- The latest OHL News Radio Edition can be found here

- OHL Plays of the Week press release. Video here

Serious allegations

- Windsor Spitfires coach under investigation for an alleged beating of teen

Shooting for the 'Moon'

- Kingston Frontenacs Nathan Moon has been climbing up the record charts in his fifth OHL season. The Pittsburgh Penguins' prospect moved into 3rd place for the Franchise's All-Time Scoring Leader. Moon scored three goals which put him into 3rd place in the Franchise's Goal Leaders. Moon needs to play in four more games to move into a tie for first place in the Frontenac's All-Time Games Played category.

OHL Scoring Leader Updates
    - Taylor Beck is the new forward in the Top 5 as he is tied with Nail Yakupov for 5th. Beck had a strong week scoring 2G and 3A in three games. With Beck climbing into the Top 5, the Nashville Predators have two prospects represented in the OHL's Top 5

- The HUGE 6'8" Taylor Doherty knocked Jesse Blacker from the Top 5 in defensemen scoring as the Kingston Frontenac moved into 5th in defensemen scoring.

Leading Forward Scorers (as of March 7th)

1. Jason Akeson (Kitchener - PHI) 24G - 80A - 104P [Last Week - 1st]
    2. Ryan Strome (Niagara- '11 Draft Eligible)30G-68A-98P [LW - 3rd]
    3. Tyler Toffoli (Ottawa- LAK) - 50G - 47A - 97P [LW - 2nd]
    T4. Nail Yakupov* (Sarnia - 2012 Draft Eligible) 45G-45A-90P [LW - 4th]
    T4. Taylor Beck (Guelph- NSH) 40G -50A -90P

*denotes Rookie

Leading Defensemen Scorers (as of March 7th)

1. Ryan Ellis (Windsor - NSH) - 21G - 70A - 90P [Last Week - 1st]
    2. Ryan Murphy (Kitchener - 2011 Draft Eligible) 25G-52A-77P [LW-2nd]
    3. Josh McFadden (Sudbury- 2011 Draft Eligible) 15G-48A-63P [LW - 3rd]
    4. Dougie Hamilton (Niagara - 2011 Draft Eligible )12G-41A-53P [LW - 4th]
    5. Taylor Doherty (Kingston - SJS) 13G - 38A - 51P [LW- 6th]

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Ramblings Alert:

Unfortunately, I will not be able to provide next week's Ramblings (March 14th) as I will be away on vacation but I will return on March 21st with Ramblings chalked full of information as the OHL prepares for the Memorial Cup

More information will be posted throughout the week as it is released
    Enjoy!
    Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey Dean, Great read as usual!!!
    Just wondering if sarnia is anything like Barrie with the 50/50 draw.
    When the game is a dog, draw is last 5 minutes of the game to keep people in there seats.
    When game is good usually at the 10 minute mark of the third.
    It has backfired though as i don't buy them anymore.
    i hate the strategy.
    Again great article keep up the good work
    16 team league, Weekly changes
    32 Players play 20, 2 Goalies, 6 Def, 12 Fwd
    2*G,1*a,+/-*.5,.2* pim
    4*W,-1*L,1*OTL,5*SO
    17 Keepers
    Keepers marked with*
    auto protect under 40 Games
    Goal
    Vejmelka, Markstrom, Forsberg, Alnefelt,
    Ukko-Pekka Luukkoonen
    Defence
    Slavin, Pietrangelo, Girard, Hague, Joseph,
    Matheson, Brannstrom, Jokiharju, Parayko
    Forward
    Gaudreau*, Tuch, Garland, Mangiapane, L’Hereux
    Aho*, McCann, Necas, Stephenson, Zacha,
    Marchessault*, Stone, Reilly Smith, Hall,
    Giroux, Landeskog, Rodrigues, Reilly Smith, Yamamoto

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by JAC123 View Post
    Hey Dean, Great read as usual!!!
    Just wondering if sarnia is anything like Barrie with the 50/50 draw.
    When the game is a dog, draw is last 5 minutes of the game to keep people in there seats.
    When game is good usually at the 10 minute mark of the third.
    It has backfired though as i don't buy them anymore.
    i hate the strategy.
    Again great article keep up the good work
    It's a good strategy for sure but Sarnia is pretty consistent at when they call the winning numbers (usually around the 10 minute mark of the 3rd regardless of the score).

After the winning number was called on Friday, the majority of people left the building as Sarnia was losing 10-3 at the time. Haha

Thanks for the encouraging comments. It looks like your Barrie Colts will get the 1st overall pick so hopefully they can draft someone like Galchenyuk for their franchise.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

JP Anderson has been named the OHL's Player of the Week. The Mississauga St Michael Major's goaltender won three games and recorded back-to-back shutouts on the weekend. Anderson posted a 1.00 GAA and a sparkling .980 save percentage

The Great One

just excellent as usual, DY. Can't say it enough. Cheers.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Seeing Yakupov first hand what were your thoughts?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Fantastic read, thanks very much!
    In Dobber Veritas

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Phanatic View Post
    Seeing Yakupov first hand what were your thoughts?
    I have seen Yakupov live about 10 times this season and I always come away impressed. The latest game was probably his least impressive but he managed to hit the scoresheet and ALWAYS has a few moments in the game where you end up turning to the person sitting next to you and say "wow he is gooooood".

Check out tHe article I wrote last week on Yakupov

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ists&Itemid=98

I am doing my best to be one of the people promoting him as the 2012 1st overall pick for the NHL.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

2011 Canada-Russia Super Series

The 2011 Subway Super Series Hosts have been selected (vs. Russia)

OHL hosts are Sault Ste. Marie and Ottawa
    WHL hosts are Regina and Moose Jaw
    QMJHL hosts are Victoriaville and Quebec

OHL 3 Stars of the Week and OHL Power Rankings are posted here

1st Star
    Mississauga Majors Goaltender J.P. Anderson would dominate play over the weekend, posting a pair of Shutouts in three victories. J.P. didn’t see much rubber on Friday, but did stop all 6 shots he faced in a 5-0 Shutout over the London Knights. The following night in Oshawa, Anderson would carry the Majors to victory again, stopping 37 of 40 shots in a 4-3 Win against the Generals. J.P. would wrap up his weekend on Sunday afternoon with a 29 save Shutout over the Sudbury Wolves.
    2nd Star
    Erie Otters Centre Greg McKegg is this week’s S.R.O. 2nd Star, as he would post 5 Goalsn and 8 Points in just 3 Games this weekend. Greg’s Goal on Wednesday would help the Otters defeat the Niagara IceDogs, and he would follow that with a 2 Goal, 3 Point night in Guelph on Friday, also adding a Goal in the Shootout in another Otters victory. Sunday against Sarnia, McKegg would score two more Goals, and add a pair of Assists, as the Otters would cruise to their third straight win. The Toronto Maple Leafs Prospect’s 4th Appearance on the S.R.O. Three Stars ties him with Windsor’s Ryan Ellis and Ottawa’s Tyler Toffoli for the most Three Star Selections this year.
    3rd Star
    Right Winger David Pacan of the Niagara IceDogs rounds out our Three Star Selections for the week of March 1st-7th, as he would lead all OHL Players in Points this week with nine. After failing to register a Point against Erie on Wednesday, David would score three Goals and add six Assists over his next two games, both IceDog victories. After a Goal and two helpers on Thursday against Sudbury, David would explode for 6 Points on Saturday, scoring a pair of Goals in a 10-3 defeat of the Sarnia Sting.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Man I wish the Oilers would have grabbed McKegg instead of Martindale.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

AAA PLAYER TRYING FOR EXCEPTIONAL STATUS

Here is a kid that Sarnia could desperately use next season (a defenceman being compared to Chris Pronger at a young age)....

Belle River's Ekblad applies for early entry into the OHL

This application is identical to the one that John Tavares was granted back when he was 15 years old.

TOP 15 NAMES IN THE OHL (interest piece)

http://intheobloggers.blogspot.com/2...io-hockey.html
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; March 8, 2011 at 4:42 PM.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I have seen Yakupov live about 10 times this season and I always come away impressed. The latest game was probably his least impressive but he managed to hit the scoresheet and ALWAYS has a few moments in the game where you end up turning to the person sitting next to you and say "wow he is gooooood".

Check out tHe article I wrote last week on Yakupov

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ists&Itemid=98

I am doing my best to be one of the people promoting him as the 2012 1st overall pick for the NHL.
    I saw the article last week - great job!
    Keep on promoting him - I have him as a minor leaguer in my hockey pool!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sarnia Sting rookie Alex Galchenyuk (top prospect for 2012 NHL Draft) has announced that he intends to play for the United States in International play.

Galchenyuk has the option of playing for either Russia or USA. Big win for USA. Big loss for Russia.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [OHL] Eastern Conference Coaches Poll

The OHL has released its annual coaches poll for the 2010-11 season.

The coaches poll allows team members to recognize the top 3 players in 16 different skill categories.

First up is the Eastern Conference Coaches Poll Winners!

Most Underrated Player
    Andy Andreoff, Oshawa Generals (24)
    Brett Flemming, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (18) (Capitals' Prospect)
    Freddie Hamilton, Niagara IceDogs (14) (Sharks' Prospect)

Most Improved Player
    Ryan Strome, Niagara IceDogs (39)
    Shane Prince, Ottawa 67’s (22)
    Andy Andreoff, Oshawa Generals (13)

Smartest Player
    Casey Cizikas, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (31) (Islanders' Prospect)
    Alex Friesen, Niagara IceDogs (16) (Canucks' Prospect)
    Ryan Spooner, Kingston Frontenacs tied Tyler Toffoli, Ottawa 67’s (14) (Bruins' Prospect)

Hardest Worker
    Brett Flemming, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (18) (Capitals' Prospect)
    Luke Judson, Belleville Bulls (17)
    Scott Tanski, Brampton Battalion (15)

Best Playmaker
    Ryan Strome, Niagara IceDogs (41)
    Shane Prince, Ottawa 67’s (18)
    Justin Shugg, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (13) (Hurricanes' Prospect)

Most Dangerous in the Goal Area
    Christian Thomas, Oshawa Generals (34) – finished second in votes in 2009-10 (Rangers' Prospect)
    Tyler Toffoli, Ottawa 67’s (33) – finished third in votes in 2009-10 (Kings' Prospect)
    Andrew Agozzino, Niagara IceDogs (7)

Best Skater
    Dougie Hamilton, Niagara IceDogs (31)
    Ryan Spooner, Kingston Frontenacs (17) (Bruins' Prospect)
    Calvin de Haan, Oshawa Generals (13) (Islanders' Prospect)

Best Shot
    Christian Thomas, Oshawa Generals (33) – finished second in votes in 2009-10 (Rangers' Prospect)
    Tyler Toffoli, Ottawa 67’s (25) (Kings' Prospect)
    Justin Shugg, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (15) (Hurricanes' Prospect)

Hardest Shot
    Erik Gudbranson, Kingston Frontenacs (34) – finished first in votes in 2009-10 (Panthers' Prospect)
    Christian Thomas, Oshawa Generals (29) – finished second in votes in 2009-10 (Rangers' Prospect)
    Marcus Foligno, Sudbury Wolves (13) (Sabres' Prospect)

Best Stickhandler
    Ryan Spooner, Kingston Frontenacs tied Ryan Strome, Niagara IceDogs (30) – Spooner finished third in votes in 2009-10 (Bruins' Prospect)
    Michael Sgarbossa, Sudbury Wolves (14)

Best on Face-Offs
    Casey Cizikas, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (36) (Islanders' Prospect)
    Nathan Moon, Kingston Frontenacs (15) (Penguins' Prospect)
    Alex Friesen, Niagara IceDogs tied Ryan Martindale, Ottawa 67’s (12) (Canucks' Prospect)

Best Body Checker
    Marcus Foligno, Sudbury Wolves (39) (Sabres' Prospect)
    Brett Flemming, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (14) (Capitals' Prospect)
    Scott Valentine, Oshawa Generals (9) (Ducks' Prospect)

Best Defensive Forward
    Casey Cizikas, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (30) (Islanders' Prospect)
    Stephon Thorne, Brampton Battalion (23)
    Alex Friesen, Niagara IceDogs (15) (Canucks' Prospect)

Best Penalty Killer
    Alex Friesen, Niagara IceDogs (27) (Canucks' Prospect)
    Stephon Thorne, Brampton Battalion (23)
    Brett Flemming, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (20) (Capitals' Prospect)

Best Offensive Defenceman
    Dougie Hamilton, Niagara IceDogs (43)
    Calvin de Haan, Oshawa Generals (21) – finished third in votes in 2009-10 and in 2008-09 (Islanders' Prospect)
    Josh McFadden, Sudbury Wolves (13)

Best Defensive Defenceman
    Brett Flemming, Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors (30) – finished third in votes in 2009-10 (Capitals' Prospect)
    Erik Gudbranson, Kingston Frontenacs (22) (Panthers' Prospect)
    Dougie Hamilton, Niagara IceDogs (21)

I will post the Western Conference Winners when they are released....

PLAYS OF THE WEEK

Since I won't be around to give next weeks' Ramblings, I will post the OHL Plays of the Week (Video HERE)that normally appears in the Ramblings....Enjoy