Thread: Berglund vs Benn - my first rounder

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Berglund vs Benn - my first rounder

Hey all,

I have the option of trading first before the deadline (Tuesday) for either Berglund or Benn. So my first question would be who do you like better, Benn or Berglund?

The alternative would be to wait and use the pick on a prospect like Sean Coutourier, Gabriel Landeskog or Adam Larsson or the best available free agent (Stephan or Grabner). Im assuming Ryan Nugent-Hopkins goes first.

My keeper has no positional requirements and I'm hoping to win next year.

What is my best best choice? Any input would be much appreciated!

I like Benn, for points only or multi-cat leagues. 80pt upside, and already has NHL experience under his belt and now the primo opportunity before him.

If your league weighs d-points more heavily, I would consider Larsson but would really depend on your roster depth.

Benn's a solid pick.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

i like stepan alot. he was dynamite in the world juniors and has all the opportunity in the world in new york. otherwise berglund #2, and benn a very close 3rd.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Definitely like Benn here--remember he's the guy the Stars actively chose, not Neal, as their golden boy. Again....BETTER potential than Neal in the Stars eyes, which is the most accurate measuring stick we poolies have to our disposal (Who would know more about a player than the organization that see him skate every day? They are both roughly the same age, same position, why else would the Stars choose to keep Benn over Neal, if he were not believed to be a better option??). He'll garner top PP time and numbers next year, if not later this year, and should be good for 70-80.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by hank mooney View Post
    Definitely like Benn here--remember he's the guy the Stars actively chose, not Neal, as their golden boy. Again....BETTER potential than Neal in the Stars eyes, which is the most accurate measuring stick we poolies have to our disposal (Who would know more about a player than the organization that see him skate every day? They are both roughly the same age, same position, why else would the Stars choose to keep Benn over Neal, if he were not believed to be a better option??). He'll garner top PP time and numbers next year, if not later this year, and should be good for 70-80.
    I wonder if the Pens had a preference? Don't know that it was so much about the Stars keeping Benn over Neal.

I would easily move your 1st rounder for either Benn or Berglund, especially since you are going for the goodies next year. Bird in the hand is worth ..... Prospects are just that - they haven't proven a thing about their future in the NHL - both these guys have. Both have an upside of about 85 points, but I think Berglund is playing his way into the dominant center role on a team with a better future in the next few years - I think I would take him in a points league, if you are in a multicat league, then I would flip a coin given that Benn has more grit.

Take either one and I think you are ahead of the game.
    Last edited by Shoeless; February 27, 2011 at 6:58 AM.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Lol oh perfect. 1 answer for Benn, one for Berglund (its not a multicat) and one for Stephan. Seems that the general consensus is to take the more NHL ready player. Maybe I'll do a poll for the choice between Benn, Berglund or Stephan.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Berglund has the greater overall upside / tallent and will play a more significant role on his team.

Benn is very solid in his own right. Plays the W instead of C (if that is a concern). I see maybe 5-10 points topside in Berglunds future over Benn.

I'm lucky enough to own them both in a deep keeper and very excited about both of their futures...

Either way - with this years' crop - I'd take one of the two NHL'ers.