Page 5 of 412 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Saw this on PuckDaddy, thought it was interesting:
    it's a cool stat, but somewhat misleading:

07/08 was the last year that the leafs had a captain besides this year. So with Phaneuf only being the captain for less than a year, the factoid becomes a bit misleading.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Icon

Ahh, good point, that had crossed my mind actually but I didn't look into it to see when Sundin finished up as captain.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Ahh, good point, that had crossed my mind actually but I didn't look into it to see when Sundin finished up as captain.
    ya, but no denying Phaneuf was exceptional last night.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    ya, but no denying Phaneuf was exceptional last night.

As I mentioned in a thread last night, Dion was inspirational as a Captain should be. I hope this was his "re-birth" so to speak. Seemed like a defining game to me.

Dobber Sports Master

I saw my little cousin a week or so ago. He's nearing in on 10 years old, and has started to play NHL video games. He pulls the classic "sim the season and see how you do" method, and plays as his favourite team, the leafs (I trained him well). However, he stacked his team and wondered why even when the won a game 3-2 or 4-2 they'd lose badly the next game. Out of habit, I just told him that the game is that realistic. Too bad it's actually true in that sense.

For the second consecutive showing, the Leafs have pulled together a weak performance after an inspiring and important win. After beating Buffalo 4-3, they lost 6-2 to TBay. Then they won 3-1 against Carolina, and got destroyed 4-0 against the panthers. It was ugly, and not fun at all.

The "Not-So-Special" Teams...
    0-2 on the PK, and 0-5 on the man advantage. What else can be said?

Flat footed
    It was one of those games where everyone was dead on their feet. Macarthur wasn't moving, neither was Lupul, or Kulemin. Only players that showed any pace today were Kadri and Grabo, with Kessel above average.

Muhammed Aulie: 2/2 Lifetime
    Aulie fought Carter today in a manhandling victory, check it out on youtube if you want (I'll post link when it comes up).

In conclusion, nothing to blame for our loss. Besides a questionable kneeing call on Phaneuf, no outside factors affected this game but the team itself. They simply had to be better.

Leafs Play Boston Saturday at home, in the return of Tomas Kaberle.

Until Next Time,

TK

Dobber Sports Master

Okay, just want a little feedback from the leaf fans:

What is your reaction going to be tomorrow when Kaberle Returns?

For the record, I'm gonna give him a standing "o". did everything right for the team. Leading points getter among d-men, and was willing to be traded when we needed him to.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For the record, I'm gonna give him a standing "o". did everything right for the team. Leading points getter among d-men, and was willing to be traded when we needed him to.

This reflects my thoughts, but once the puck drops, I hope he ends up a minus 3 and the Leafs win in regulation.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    This reflects my thoughts, but once the puck drops, I hope he ends up a minus 3 and the Leafs win in regulation.
    hell, I'll win in OT tonight. Doesn't really matter how we win, as long as we pull in the W.

Administrator

I don't think fans should show any ill will towards Kaberle. He did not abandon them, in fact they've been trying to trade him for a long time and were very public about it. He even gave them an out by enabling a trade to the Bruins.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

hell, I'll win in OT tonight. Doesn't really matter how we win, as long as we pull in the W.

I said regulation win by a margin as I want the Habs to catch Boston and for Price to get closer to Thomas' save % and GAA in their race for the Vezina.

Dobber Sports Master

Sometimes, a game goes perfectly for a team, nothing negative can be said about it in any way- a perfect way to describe the Leafs' 5-2 win over the Boston Bruins on Saturday. Unfortunately, it did not help their improbable push to the playoffs, as the Sabres won as well. However, it was an outstanding game by all, and one that could have been their best of the year:

Second Tier Scoring on the Mark:
    The 5 goal scorers tonight (Schenn, Kadri, Crabb, Brown, Aulie) have combined for just 13 goals this year, yet pulled together enough offence to win the game for the Leafs. Nice to see the secondary scoring go to work.

Speaking Of Schenn:
    Schenn had one of the nicest goals that I have seen him score in his career at any level. He started in his own end, crossed the Bruins' blue line, and protected the puck before using a sudden burst of speed to go by the defence and beat Tim Thomas glove side.

The Rookies are all Right:
    It took 21 pro games, but Nazem Kadri can say that he has scored an NHL goal. It was not pretty (bounced in off his shoulder) but hey- a goal is a goal! Kadri also added an assist, arguably being one of the Leafs' top forwards tonight. Keith Aulie also made an impact tonight, by scoring his 2nd goal of the season off of a blistering wrist shot to beat Tukka Rask.

A Bittersweet Return:
    Despite losing 5-2, this game will likely have a special place in Tomas Kaberle's heart. The place erupted when a tribute came up on the scoreboard, with a solid 2 minutes of non-stop cheering. A humbled and shy Kaberle waved to the audience, who responded with an even louder uproar. Nice to know that the Leafs still care about Kabs, and that he still cares about them.

And Again, Reimer steals the Show:
    34 saves, including 2 saves that are sure to be honour roll candidates (with a for sure Highlight of the Night), Reimer kept the Leafs in it...again. He got his own chant from the ACC crowd, one that he clearly heard. He was named first star again, and is doing a fantastic job minding the net for the Buds.

Leafs start a western swing next week, facing Minnesota, Colorado, and Detroit.

Until Next time,

TK

NOTE: Sunday there will be a 24/7 Leafs mailbag. Any questions that you have about fantasy notes, predictions, and/or prospects, feel free to post them here.

Dobber Sports Stud

Looks like your mailbag exploded :P

We should know by the end of this week whether or not we have any chance of the playoffs. I haven't really considered it as a true possibility yet (have too often and I don't want the let down again). If we make it, awesome. if not, being as close as we are now compared to back in December is good enough for me.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Master

okay, not too much to talk about tonight, so this will be a short little update. The Leafs played a great game against the Wild tonight, winning 3-0. Despite some poor powerplay showing and tons of odd-man rushes, the Leafs had a great effort all around. However, the Leafs remain 5 points out, and will need to continue to win every night.

Special mention goes to James Reimer, who posted his 3rd shutout this season with his mom and dad in the audience. Reimer stopped 29 shots, including 4 breakaways and 3 two-on-ones. Fantastic game for him, who now sports a record of 16-7-4, with 3 shutouts, a 2.59 GAA, and a 922 sv%.

Leafs travel to Colorado thursday, to take on one of the league's weaker teams.

Until next time,

TK

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Toronto with a 4-3 Win over Colorado. The biggest difference between this years' Leafs and previous years is that Toronto don't seem to blow these 1-goal close games like they did before. Previously, Toronto could have a 3 goal lead going into the 3rd and you just knew that they would blow it somehow

Dobber Sports Master

Okay, as mentioned by DY, the Leafs headed into Colorado on the second of a three game road trip, and survived to beat the Avs 4-3. Honestly, not much can be said tonight about the team as a whole. Sloppy play by the defence, goals by Kulemin (2), Kessel (1) and Bozak (1), and solid penalty killing was the nature of the game. But there was one big difference tonight (as he is every night). That difference, was James Reimer.

Honestly, I could ramble on for tons of paragraphs about all that Reimer does the right way. He is composed in the net, he makes himself look big, he has good instincts, great reflexes, anticipation, nerves of steel, etc... But tonight, he singlehandedly won the game for the Leafs. Yes, Kulemin buried home 2 goals in the first. Yes, Kessel scored a crucial Power play goal. But honestly, the Leafs should go out, and buy Reimer a huge steak and lobster, because he is the only reason the Leafs got 2 points tonight.

The first example of Reimer putting the team on his back was after a first period goal was scored by the Avs (shorthanded) that went off of Phaneuf and in. At this time, many goalies get pissed and lose focus. Instead, Reimer tapped Dion on the shin pads, took a drink of water, and got focused. He did not lose his cool (like Elliot did when they got scored on) and really supported his team, despite the crappy display of defence on the play.

The second example was when Reimer saved the team's hopes of maintaining a lead when he stopped approximately 5 amazing chances in a span of 15 seconds, two of which were uncontested shots right infront of the net. He stood tall, and robbed any shot that was fired at him.

To pick out every play that Reimer was fantastic on would be hard. There were too many of them. So I don't know if we make the playoffs, but if we sneak in, Reimer is the only reason why. Plain and simple.

Leafs head to Detroit Saturday, to face the talented Wings.

Until next time,

TK