Page 4 of 412 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Master

Short report tonight. Besides some great late-game pressure and a goal off of the head of Grabovski, nothing really positive to say tonight. Komisarek cost us the game right at the beginning, taking a stupid cross checking penalty for 5 minutes, and a game misconduct. Reimer let in a bad goal, nobody could find their offense, and many players just couldn't beat the goalie in any way.

Long story short, on Saturday the Leafs play Buffalo, who are in 8th by 6 points. Essentially, it is a do-or-die game. If we win, we are still in it. We lose, and we're out. Simple as that. A better game will be needed from everyone on the team.

Also, I am available for A Leafs fantasy/real life mailbag all weekend. Post questions and I'll answer them ASAP.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Here's hoping there's still some magic left. I'm hoping for the Rangers to fall back and Leafs to surge. You're right, tomorrow is critical.

Dobber Sports Master

I got a chance to go the game at the ACC tonight to watch the game. I've been to a few games this year, and it is often the same atmosphere- diehards in the upper bowl, reds and golds filled with some great fans and some businessmen, and the platinums filled with people often not into the game. But tonight, something was different. The platinum section did not suck the life out of the arena. It was loud, it was spirited, and it was certainly exciting. Funny enough, the ACC's fans essentially described the game tonight, something that we rarely see.

It was a hell of a game. Starting down 1-0 in the first three minutes, followed by a 2-1 lead, which followed a 3-2 deficit. However, Grabo and Kessel each stepped up their game in the third, each scoring goals to give the Leafs a 4-3 win over the Buffalo Sabres, who are now 4 points ahead of the Leafs in a very exciting eastern conference.

Kessel Looking Dangerous
    Some nights, you get a certain vibe from a player. That vibe sometimes will tell you that a certain player is gonna mess up. Sometimes the vibe shows that they will make a big play. Tonight, I had a certain vibe that Kessel would be dangerous. With only 1 point in 3 games, he was due for a big night. And boy, he delivered. Looking speedy and dangerous all night, Kessel notched a beautiful assist in the 2nd, and took the nice feed from Schenn to pot home his team leading 28th of the season. Great game for Phil. He also got a hit and played crucial defense in the final minute. I'm not lying (I am just as shocked as all of you).

Lupul-Fix the Radar!
    Every night, there's one player that just isn't clicking on all cylinders. Usually, that player is doing some things right, but not all. Tonight, that player was Joffrey Lupul. He got an assist, played solid on the forecheck and defensively. But there was one big problem. He couldn't find the back of the net! He got a nice feed in front and got stoned, missed the net by a good 3 feet from in close, and got robbed on a partial breakaway in the 3rd (he also missed an EN in the final minute).

The Terrible Twosome Strikes Again:
    Komisarek and Lebda continue to piss me off on a day-to-day basis. Honestly, nothing went right for them. Between a combined 7 botched clearing attempts in clear situations, in only 17:11 between the two of them, they were the goats of the game. A perfect way to sum up their seasons is with a scene today in the Sabres' zone. Komisarek takes a dumb pinch, which would have caused a 3 on 1 had Grabovski not gone back and swooped the puck back in. Play continues, and the Sabres try to clear again. Lebda makes an acrobatic leap, grabs the puck, puts it down, and with nobody around him drives it a good 6 feet wide into the netting (no deflections). Here's my proposed theory to stop the terrible twosome. We play with 4 defensive pairings:

Phaneuf-Aulie (40% of time)
    Schenn-Gunnarsson (40% of time)
    Komisarek- Schenn/Gunnarson (10% of time)
    Lebda- Phaneuf/Aulie (10% of time)

He puts the team on his back- Reimer steals the show again:
    Confidence is exuded by the entire team when this kid is in net. He gets the loudest cheers in the pre-game starting lineup, and the loudest roar I have heard for a single player in the ACC in years when he was called back as the first star. With 39 saves on 42 shots, Reimer was the man of the night for the Leafs, and a goalie fans can take pride in.

Leafs have another crucial game Monday, against the Bolts in Toronto.

Until next time,

TK
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like how you described the atmosphere at the ACC, because that was definitely the impression we got here at home watching it. I thought the Van-SJ game Thursday night was amazing for a regular season tilt, but this match was just like a playoff game, a treat to watch.

Dobber Sports Master

Good to know MCT. In a nutshell, I'd describe the scene right after we let in the goal from Weber. 3 minutes in, everybody felt deflated. Last year, we'd also moan and groan, but this year we started up with the GO LEAFS GO chants. It shows that we have faith in the team to respond to an early deficit. It's nice to have confidence in your team!

Dobber Sports Stud

one of the more exciting leafs game ive watched in a while, I loved how we never gave up even though we were down in the game twice its good to see!

Go leafs Go
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Master

The Leafs played the lightning on Monday after what was deemed by the coach as their "biggest win of the season". Unfortunately, It was a huge let-down, as the entire team fell flat and lost the game 6-2. Besides Phaneuf, nobody had a strong game. Shots were missed, assignments were left uncovered, and the goaltending was not top notch. Leafs are still 6 points out, but are hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

The quote that summed up the rest of the season for me came from Joe Bowen during the broadcast. He said that despite Wilson's quote that the Sabres game was the biggest game of the year, their "biggest game" will essentially be the next team that they face. Leafs play Carolina and Florida on Wednesday and Thursday, hoping to grab 4 points before returning home to face Tomas Kaberle on Saturday.

Dobber Sports Master

Some news for the day:

-Kadri called up by the Leafs, after averaging a near Point per game rate in the AHL.

- Armstrong has broken his foot, and will be out 4-6 weeks.

- Jake Gardiner has been signed to a three year deal, and will report to the marlies. Great signing for a kid with a bright future.

- Matt Lashoff has also been called up by the Leafs. Say goodbye to your spot in the lineup Brett!

Leafs play Carolina tomorrow, expect both Lashoff and Kadri to be dressed and playing.

Dobber Sports Master

Also rumors that Giggy starting tomorrow, I'll post when I hear the legit starter for tomorrow's game.

Dobber Sports Master

Hat tip to Chuk, it will be Reimer in net tonight in a do or die game against the Hurricanes.

Dobber Sports Master

Another thing, Kadri has started on a line with Kessel and Bozak...Lupul on the 3rd.

Dobber Sports Master

Sometimes in hockey, a message can be delivered to a team and its players during an intermission that inspires the team to be forceful heading into the new period. This happened on Saturday, when Ron Wilson delivered a message during the 2nd intermission to propel the leafs to win a huge game against buffalo.

Fast forward to Wednesday in Raleigh, North Carolina. Tied 1-1 heading into the second, and only having 2 real scoring chances, the leafs came out strong in the 2nd, scoring 2 goals in 12 seconds to take a 3-1 lead, which stood out as the winner. I have no idea what Wilson said during the intermission, but it must have been inspirational and thought provoking and all that stuff you want in an oscar-winning speech.

First Period Woes:
    This shouldn't surprise you. The Leafs came out flat and let in the first goal...again. Looked flat all period, with the only bright spot being the goal on the powerplay.

Quick to Answer
    As mentioned before, the Leafs don't quit or sulk when they get scored on. After letting in a Powerplay goal, the Leafs responded with one of their own, evening the score in a matter of minutes.

Special Teams were Special tonight:
    Where has this been all year? 2/3 on the man advantage, and 4/5 on the PK, the leafs looked dominant on the special teams, including a penalty kill of back to back penalties when up by 2. Great all around effort in that regard by all special teams players.

O Captain My Captain
    Guess who's back? Yes, it's happened. Dion Phaneuf has returned to form. It took him until Kaberle's departure, but he now has 6 goals since the All Star Break, and 4 points (3 goals, 1 assist) in his last 2 games. He's hitting the net, playing solid defensively, and looking as confident as we've seen him in a Leaf's uniform. A first star tonight, and deserves all credit that was due.

Today's Player that Put the team on his back
    Call him what you want, Optimus Reim, Roll up the Reim to win, Busta Reims, Reimstoppers, but it is clear that James Reimer was the reason the Leafs won today. It was special. He'd be down and out and Staal would be in all alone and somehow he'd make the save. Just remarkable.

Turnovers Galore
    Enough turnovers today by the leafs, gotta be stronger on the puck. Lupul, Schenn, Lashoff, and Kadri all committed dumb turnovers.

Speaking of the Call-ups:
    Nothing special out of either player tonight. Lashoff played just under 12 minutes and wen't pointless, while Kadri played just over 12 minutes with no shots or points.

Your (almost) goat of the game:
    Darryl Boyce. at the beginning of the 3rd, Boyce took a dumb roughing penalty after the whistle, and almost severely hurt the chances of the Leafs holding onto the lead. I know you're young Darryl, but keep those emotions under control.

And Finally, guess who's injured?
    It's the one, the only, Mike Komisarek. The average defenseman left in the 2nd with an undisclosed injury and did not return to the game.

Leafs play again tomorrow, this time in florida.

Until Next Time,

TK

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Sat on Phanuef all season in a year league - thought many times about dumping him for someone hot. He's paying the bills now.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Sat on Phanuef all season in a year league - thought many times about dumping him for someone hot. He's paying the bills now.
    exactly. Way to show faith! He's playing great hockey, jumping up in the rush, and hitting the net. Just fantastic play recently all-around, with 11 points in 11 games.

Dobber Sports Icon

Saw this on PuckDaddy, thought it was interesting:

Did you know? "Phaneuf's game winner was the first by a Leaf captain since Mats Sundin(notes) in 2007-08." @SunHornby
    Without me, it's only "aweso".