Page 3 of 412 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Stud

I watched most of the game, and wow is our offense ever atrocious, only line that actually looked dangerous all game was the Grabo line
    Armstrong, looked really fast all game, and he did create chances which is what i love about him, he is always giving 100%
    Kessel as TK said had a good game, he was going for all offensive but was stonewalled until the 3rd, where he scored a beauty from the middle
    so without Kaberle on our team we have scored what 2 goals in 2 games
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Kessel is ON FIRE

2 Goals and counting tonight vs. the Habs. Both goals were a result of him going to the scoring areas (see my post above). Keep it up Phil

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Kessel is ON FIRE

2 Goals and counting tonight vs. the Habs. Both goals were a result of him going to the scoring areas (see my post above). Keep it up Phil

Great to see the PP clicking finally, just sorry to see it against the Habs. Oh well, the Habs are in a playoff spot with some cushion, whereas a win by the boys in Blue & White tonight puts them 4 point behind the Canes....Go Leafs, give us another Canadian team to cheer for in mid-April!

Dobber Sports Master

God this game will give me ALOT to talk about
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Master

Thursday, February 24th.

Leafs vs. Habs In Montreal has not been fun for the blue and white this year...0-2 with 0 goals for! So what were we, as the fans, expecting going into tonights game? 2 goals in the 2 previous games, and abysmal on the PP. If we were expecting the win, it would come 1-0 in a SO. Well, everything that we (I) expected today was completely wrong.

Leafs scored 5 goals, including 3 on the man advantage, to win tonight's tilt 5-3. It was a great game for the Leafs overall. Good offense, nice defense, and clutch goaltending when it mattered. Rating out of 10: 7

Points to Consider:

- Leafs learned the hard way tonight that the hockey game is 60 minutes...not 59:40. Up 3-1, the Leafs gave up two penalties and two powerplay goals in a span of 20 seconds to let the Habs tie up the game.

- Penalty Kill (besides the two brutal ones) was fantastic, with complete containment. However, they gave up 6 penalties...again. Wilson's gotta work on self-disciplence on the ice. No team should give up 12 penalties in 2 games.

- Brett Lebda scored. I'm not joking. He lit the lamp for the first time as a Leaf, and the first time in 86 NHL games. To all the Lebda hater's defense, how could he not score? He was given a beautiful pass at the top of the slot, moved in, waited, had a screen infront of the net, had enough time to run to the bench and grab a new stick then come back, then pot the puck into the top left corner. Good on him though, he made a contribution to our team for the first time in what feels to be an eternity.

- He doesn't earn a star, but a tip of the hat to Mike Komisarek. Despite constant boos and jeers and being tangled up by the habs, Komi held it together, made big hits, and drew a penalty.

- Kessel and Bozak both got 4 point nights (2 Goals, 2 assists)

The Top 3 (Studs):
    1st:Kessel- Amazing game. Tied his career high for points in a night, and got 2 very nice PP goals and 2 assists from behind the net.
    2nd:Bozak- See above. Exact same reasons as Kessel, and he got the GWG. Also had some crucial PK plays.
    3rd:Armstrong- man I love this guy. Played hard, good defensive hockey, and made a beautiful pass to Brett in the slot.

The not top 3 (duds):
    1st:Aulie- Pains me to say it, but he just didn't play great. Drew a penalty, a big icing, and not very solid defensively. Just some growing pains.
    2nd:Grabovski- First time in a very long time that Grabo was a non-factor. No real chances and got a penalty.
    3rd:Lupul- The man has to learn how to bury the freakin' puck! Another beauty pass to the tape, and he can't put it home...just a slump, should snap out of it.

Fantasy Implications:
    - Kessel is on a huge hot streak
    - Bozak looks back to form, breaking his scoring drought
    - Brent will continue to see PP time as the point man

Until next time, when the Leafs play Saturday against Pittsburgh,

TK
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Veteran

Bozak is not a #1 centre no one loves the Leafs like I do but see the ramblings its true this guy is going to be a GREAT 3rd line centre but he has no busniess on the top line. I just want to remind all the Leafs fans out there becuase I know how some of us like to jump on hype

Kessel's great play has been from his effort and nothing more the skill has always been there but now he is fighting for the puck out there and getting in the tough areas. Congrats to him for sticking to it latley!

Lupul though he hasnt done much offensivly yet has been a huge factor on the ice he is creating a lot of chances out there with his hustle, getting in front of the net and creating room for Kessel as well and with another shooter on the ice it gives the goalie two guys to worry about. The goals will come for him but he has made a difference and that for sure should be noted!

Aulie I agree was so-so last night but the one penalty was not a penalty it was a cheap call and actully so great defensive play on his part. He will have off nights there is no doubt there but I am still a big fan and supporter of him. Really though we need to be giving some props to Gunnersson he has been very steady and his game has seemed to improve with increase in ice time. Good for him!!

JD out!

Dobber Sports Stud

I came in here hoping to find a Komisarek GIF... not even?

Also, Leafs are playing good against the Pens. I'd like to extend a heartfelt swear spree against MAF for that save on Kessel...
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Master

Saturday, February 26th:

I had the pleasure of going to this game, gave me a different perspective on the game than I get from the TV at home, but it also gave me lots of things to talk about:

Leafs played Pittsburgh and lost 6-5 in Shootout. It was a brutal game by the leafs. Turnovers galore, average goaltending, and awful defense. Couldn't maintain a lead, and should have had 2 points tonight. Rating out of 10: 4
    Points To Consider:

- Leafs had the lead 4 times this game, and couldn't extend it to 2 goals or maintain the lead for an extended amount of time.

- Leafs let in a goal with under a minute remaining in the period for both the 1st and 2nd period.

- Kessel, with 2 points tonight, now has 10 points in 7 games. Lupul also notched his first two goals donning the blue and white, and Phaneuf also had a multi-point night, with an assist and a goal.

- Powerplay was pretty good tonight, yet nothing special. Penalty kill was not good at all.

- A disallowed goal in the 2nd period by Joffrey Lupul due to a "kicking motion" could have ultimately been the turning point of the game. Really rattled the leafs, and Lupul.

The Top 3: (Studs)

1st: Lupul- 2 goals and one disallowed. Plenty of chances, great game.
    2nd: Phaneuf- Fairly good defensively, and great offensively.
    3rd: Sjostrom- Freddy tonight showed a perfect example tonight of being so solid in both ends, yet contributing nothing on the scoresheet. I was beyond impressed by him tonight.

The Not Top 3: (Duds)

1st: Lebda- As a man somewhere in my section was saying (and I quote) "Lebda is a mutational midget that contributes less than nothing to our team.I would rather be a man short than have him on the ice". With all his turnovers, sloppy play, and thinking that he is a forward, I have to agree.
    2nd: Gunnarsson- I nearly lost my voice yelling at Gunnarsson tonight. He was sloppy, didn't shoot, and made many careless mistakes in his own end.
    3rd: Komisarek- (Please see Gunnarsson's comment for why he's in the not top 3, but replace "didn't shoot" with "shot in dumb situations". That terrible twosome (Lebda/Komi) is becoming the worst pairing in the league. I'd rather have Lashoff and Holzer as our third pairing.

Fantasy Impact:

- It took a while, but Phaneuf is actually heating up in a leafs jersey. Expect more input from him
    - Kessel is on a hot streak. Play him while it lasts
    - With the monkey off his back, Lupul should be getting more goals and more points

Leafs play tomorrow in Atlanta, which is a must-win.

Until next time,

TK

Dobber Sports Master

Today's game vs. the Thrashers is bittersweet. The pessimist says that the Leafs blow the game, lose their goalie, and are out of playoff contention. The optimist says that the Leafs still got a point, remained at a .500 record, and are still in what can only be considered an improbable run to the finals.

For those who did not watch the game, the Leafs had a 2-0 lead up until the 3rd period (with Kulemin and Kessel getting the tallies). With 3 minutes to go in the 2nd, Reimer, who had sustained a knee to the neck-area 10 minutes prior, pulled himself out. The Thrashers than scored 2 goals in the 3rd, and added one in overtime to win the game. It was disappointing, I'm not going to lie. But it was still a point. Giguere looked solid in net, and not one of the three goals was his fault. So to all the Leafs fans, take this game with a grain of salt. They did get the point, they are continuing an unlikely run at 8th spot, and with 38 points still on the line, they are in no way out of contention.

But this game has much significance, much more than the point. The trade deadline is tomorrow (if you've been living under a rock, or not watching TSN/Sportsnet) and with plenty of big names on the market, this game ultimately will be Burke's lasting impression heading into tomorrow's flurry of trade talk. Leafs likely have two targets for tomorrow: Liles and Weiss. With the lack of offence generated tonight, these two players will probably be pursued by Burke, and could be donning blue and white against the Pens on Wednesday

Liles:
    Liles is a solid defenseman, and one that would fit in great with the team. He's very comparable to the likes of Tomas Kaberle, for what he would bring to the Leafs. A very reliable player on the PP, and one that can shoot along with pass. He is speedy, and can generate offense out of the defensive zone. However, he also tends to have defensive lapses from time to time, and can be sloppy under pressure from a forecheck.

The asking price has varied based on different personalities and insiders. Some say the price is a 2nd. Others say it would take a 1st. Apparently, Burke doesn't want to give up either of the above options. Has he given in to the price? Possibly. Has Avalanche GM Sherman loosened the asking price? Probably not. But in a league where Beauchemin goes for a defensive prospect, scoring forward, and a late pick, a 2nd doesn't sound too bad. The likelyhood of the Leafs getting him is fairly high, and would be a fantastic addition for the Leafs to make.

Weiss:

The 27 year old Weiss would be a great acquisition for the Leafs, and a great center for the Leaf's sniper Phil Kessel. Weiss is a good skater, great distributor, solid scorer, and is capable of playing a two-way game. Where he lacks is size/strength, and can often get knocked off the puck. He'd strive with Kessel, and would take some pressure of the streaky scorer.

The asking price for Weiss has yet to be confirmed by any insiders, yet it has been rumoured that the price would be a first and a third. It would be interesting if Burke gave up the Flyer's picks for Weiss, essentially making the trade Weiss for Versteeg. I don't know if Weiss has a large shot at being a Leaf, but there is definitely a chance.

Leafs will be buyers tomorrow. There are rumours of Macarthur being dealt, but don't expect that to happen. I expect Macarthur to resign to a 3 year, 8.5 million dollar contract. Burke wants Macarthur to remain a Leaf, and is hesitant to trade him.

The Leafs will be very active tomorrow and knowing Burke, we will likely see a twist tomorrow.

Until next time,

TK

Administrator

Just wanted to share an observation I had tonight when watching the Leafs game on Sportsnet. At one point they showed a graphic with Kessel's recent surge in production, and in the corner was his picture, pretty standard, except he looks MISERABLE in the picture! Kinda looked like a shot of a hostage video. Did anyone else notice this?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Just wanted to share an observation I had tonight when watching the Leafs game on Sportsnet. At one point they showed a graphic with Kessel's recent surge in production, and in the corner was his picture, pretty standard, except he looks MISERABLE in the picture! Kinda looked like a shot of a hostage video. Did anyone else notice this?
    that's Kessel. Not a fan of the media and always seems pissed. But i've met him. great guy, very talkative. Also a good guy. During warmup saw a kid behind the netting and tried to launch 5 pucks over the net before slipping a puck through the camera hole to the attendant to give to the kid. Don't let his scary appearance shock you.

Dobber Sports Master

Wednesday, March 2nd:

Today was the first game for the Leafs in a very pivotal stretch in their season. A game against Pittsburgh, followed by the Flyers and Blackhawks, a win was needed tonight against the Penguins. Without Crosby or Malkin, the Leafs hoped to get the win against a depleted Penguins roster, who had beat them 6-5 in a shootout just a few nights prior.

The game started off with the Pens striking first, but Kulemin ripping home a top-shelf snipe to tie the game. In the second, the Penguins scored again, and led 2-1 after 2 periods of play. But with only 10 shots and 13 missing the net, the Leafs picked it up in the 3rd, with Phil Kessel scoring to tie the game. In overtime, it took the Leafs ample time to get the win, as a beautiful goal by Grabo, set up by Kessel, Gunnarsson, and Phaneuf, won the Leafs the game 3-2.

Not much analysis for this game can be done. This was one of those games where no top 3 stood out, nor did 3 players stand out for lack of competence tonight. The Leafs were sluggish in the 2nd, but really seemed to understand the importance of a win tonight, and pulled off the win.

Points to Consider/Fantasy Impact:
    -Phil Kessel extended his point streak to 5 games, now has 8 goals in 8 games,and 13 points in his last 8. He's red hot now, and take advantage of this remarkable streak. One thing that really makes me happy is that he is in front on the net, blocking shots, and checking. These little things make him more confident, and lead to his scoring chances.

- Grabovski broke a 7 game goalless drought, and scored the OT winner and an assist.

- Reimer had a very solid outing tonight. He does not have a concussion, or any injury for that matter. Wilson says that it his job to lose. Play him without worry of who's starting in goal.

Leafs have a tough test tomorrow, when they take on the best of the east, the Philadelphia Flyers.

Until next time,

TK

Dobber Sports Master

This one will go a little out of context tonight. Today I want to propose a question that I have been asking myself, which is How do the Leafs keep on Winning?. Don't tell me that it's because they put more pucks in the net than their opposition. I know that. But after acquiring Lupul they started off 0-1-1, but since have gone 6-0-3, gaining a point in their last 10 games. They've beaten the Sabres in Buffalo, the Bruins in Boston, and the Canadiens in Montreal. To think that they would keep the streak alive against the high-flying Flyers seemed like a lofty dream, but yet again so is making the playoffs. I'm puzzled, but ecstatic nonetheless.

The Leafs have really changed one thing from this year to last year, which is the fact that they do not give up. Last year, they would go down by 1 very early in the game, and they'd whine about it until they lost. But against Montreal, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta, an early goal was scored and they battled through adversity to tie the game up. In Philly, Kris Versteeg opened the scoring against his former club to give the Flyers a 1-0 lead just under 6 minutes into the game. And while the 09-10 Leafs would have sulked on the bench, the new 2011 Leafs responded, putting on pressure and scoring just 21 seconds after, with Kulemin deflecting a Clarke Macarthur slapshot.

When the 2nd period rolled by, the game remained tied until (guess who) Versteeg again got the beautiful pass from Richards to give the Flyers a lead. But with 10 seconds to go in the Period, a confident and striving Dion Phaneuf buried home a rebound to give him his 4th of the year, and the Leafs a tied hockey game. Phaneuf played one of his best games as a Leaf tonight, being offensive when needed, but making great defensive stops as well.

The third period was deadlocked for 15 minutes until Armstrong, Boyce, and Crabb stepped on the ice to resort to their bread and butter play- the dump and chase. Armstrong takes the feed from Phaneuf, dumps it into the corner, Boyce fights hard, comes infront, and scores the wrap-around. Beautiful goal, beautiful play. Leafs take a 3-2 lead.

With 20 seconds to go in the game, Keith Aulie (who had KO'd Hartnell in his first career fight) coughed up the puck in the defensive zone, nearly resulting in the tying goal. Luckily, the Leafs fended off the dynamic Flyers, winning 3-2, going within 3 spots of 8th and 4 points of 7th.

Very entertaining game tonight. Leafs gave it their all, did not give up, and really proved that they will give it their all no matter who they play. If they keep this up Saturday against the defending champs, it should be a great game.

Going to the game Saturday, looking forward to a fun one.

Until next time,

TK

Dobber Sports Stud

awesome game, very entertaining, imo
    also when Muhammad Aulie coughed that puck up I believe my heart stopped, but we clung to that lead like our playoff lives depended on it...oh wait it did lol
    solid game all around
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Master

Sorry for the one game absence guys. Hectic weekend resulted in ample time on the computer, and not enough to write a full article. But today's game was. Leafs lost 4-3 in Overtime to the New York Islanders, bringing them within 4 points of that final playoff spot in the eastern conference. It was a huge point, one that keeps the small hopes of making the playoffs alive.

Mohammed Aulie: Fighter and Goal Scorer
    Down 1-0 in the Second period, Tim Brent went passed the puck in front of the net, bouncing past Mike Brown, who was down on one knee in the slot. But Keith Aulie stepped in and scored his 1st NHL goal. Congrats to him, hope it is one of many.

The Man DISadvantage
    In their past 5 games, Leafs have gone 0-23 on the powerplay. It's been awful. With that bad of a record on the PP in their past little while, it is astonishing they continue to remain in games like they do. Wilson better think of a new tactic, and fast.

Lebda and Komisarek: Partners in Shame
    After missing his assignment on a 2nd period goal, Lebda was sent to Wilson's doghouse. He finished the game -2, and his defence partner finished -1. Collectively, they ended up with a total ice time of 17:36 (8:12 for Lebda, 9:24 for Komisarek). That's 5 minutes less than Keith Aulie's time of 22:29, the lowest time of the other 4 defencemen.

Speaking of Defence Ice Time...
    Aulie finished with 22 minutes, Schenn with 26, Phaneuf with 28. But none of these guys lead the team in TOI today. Rather, it was Carl Gunnarsson, with a whopping 29:44 minutes on the ice, which is nearly half the game! Clearly, Wilson has some confidence in the kid.

The Stud of the Game Goes To...
    Tim Brent. After failing to cover Konopka, leading to a goal, Tim played a flawless game. He went hard to the net, took good shots, played good defensively, and recorded a goal and an assist for his hard work. Probably his 3rd best game all year.

The Dud of the Game Goes To...
    Racking in a whopping 8:12 of ice time, and a solid -2, our winner is Brett Lebda! Honestly, why is he even on the team? Somebody teach this guy how to play responsible defence.

Well that's all for today. Leafs have a huge game on Thursday against the Flyers, the second meeting in a week.

Until Next Time,

TK