Page 242 of 412 FirstFirst ... 142 192 232 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 252 292 342 ... LastLast
Results 3,616 to 3,630 of 6179

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    Although this is entirely Monday morning quarterback, I think it's reasonable for one to opine that Shanahan rushed the transition to Dubas.
    In particular, I think Lou would have handled the Matthews and Nylander contracts better. Dubas is showing a little more green than most are willing to admit.
    Matthews got done in the snap of the fingers for an amount everyone knew he was going to get.

Nylander, I can't disagree with that one. It's hard to say either way if it would have been any different or not.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dubas has not failed to deliver on any of his promises to date. Shanny made the right decision. Shanny has never made a wrong decision to date. The Shannaplan has done nothing but yield results.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Dubas has not failed to deliver on any of his promises to date. Shanny made the right decision. Shanny has never made a wrong decision to date. The Shannaplan has done nothing but yield results.
    Boston fans agree with this..

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    They should. Although I don’t think Boston fans give two Shits to be honest.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Pretty hard to break promises when you don't really make any, no ?

From an amateur's perspective, why wait on those 3 guys as long as he did? I just don't understand it.
    I would have been negotiating around the clock with Matthews and Marner the day they could be extended. Sign them both at the same time, and send a message to them that they are the faces of the franchise. It makes no sense to sign Nylander first. Sign the top priority guys first.

It especially makes no sense to play hardball with Nylander and then cave at the last minute. If you go down that road when the season starts, you better be willing to let him sit out all year. That clearly wasn't the case. Dubas was bluffing and Nylander's agent called the bluff.

Also, giving Matthews a shorter deal - that will prove to be an enormous blunder.

So, yes, Dubas didn't break any promises regarding Nylander and Matthews. But he was still schooled in both negotiations.

I also can't understand where Dubas' faith in Sparks is coming from. I guess you have to be patient with youth but Sparks was pretty awful for a large chunk of this season.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Pretty sure he wanted Nylander signed for 6.5 million. Got him for 6.9. Hardly a a fleecing. (Argue his value all you want but it’s not like Nylanders camp to Dubas to the woodshed.
    No one knows how long he was working with Matthews camp and or what’s been said with Marner.

Dubas said he’d sign Nylander. He did. Within hundreds of thousands (not millions). And to a pretty trade friendly contract.
    Dubas said he’d sign Matthews. He did. May not look like the usual signing but hockey is changing.
    Dubas said he’d sign Marner. I guess we’ll see. But so far the track record has been good.

As for sparks, he earned his chance. Who lets a young home grown goalie go for nothing especially when that goalie proved to be the best in the AHL for two previous years. What sparks did or did not do with his opportunity is in him. Maybe on Babcock for how he played him. But Dubas recognized a need for a plan B and acquired that plan at next to no
    Cost.

Again, you can critique the results, but he’s done everything he said he would to date and is doing so in-spite of the challenges left by Lou. (Marleau/Zaitsev)

My eyes are on the players and Babcock to finally do something with the assets he’s been given which are more than most of the playoff teams this year.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    They should. Although I don’t think Boston fans give two Shits to be honest.
    I probably give one shit at least

But in all seriousness, I think it’s a good move extending Shanahan. As much as I love teasing Leafs fans, he’s built a contender there. With the experience that team has gained in the last two years, I think they are poised to be playing hockey in June in the next year or two.

Dobber Sports Titan

Nylander in 3 WC games:

2G, 6A, 8Pts...

He's been killing it. He needed this tournament. Dude was just down on himself so much with Toronto.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Administrator

Yes, he needed to play against Italy and Norway

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Yes, he needed to play against Italy and Norway
    confidence and timing was always off. He actually really needed it (I dunno if you're trying to say it's cause of the opponent or not).

Dobber Sports Jedi

Pretty hard to break promises when you don't really make any, no ?

From an amateur's perspective, why wait on those 3 guys as long as he did? I just don't understand it.
    I would have been negotiating around the clock with Matthews and Marner the day they could be extended. Sign them both at the same time, and send a message to them that they are the faces of the franchise. It makes no sense to sign Nylander first. Sign the top priority guys first.

It especially makes no sense to play hardball with Nylander and then cave at the last minute. If you go down that road when the season starts, you better be willing to let him sit out all year. That clearly wasn't the case. Dubas was bluffing and Nylander's agent called the bluff.

Also, giving Matthews a shorter deal - that will prove to be an enormous blunder.

So, yes, Dubas didn't break any promises regarding Nylander and Matthews. But he was still schooled in both negotiations.

I also can't understand where Dubas' faith in Sparks is coming from. I guess you have to be patient with youth but Sparks was pretty awful for a large chunk of this season.
    Nylander - There was a salary gap between the two camps. Both dug in. Nylander because he felt he was worth it. Dubas because he knew he needed to sign marner & matthews. On the final day, they signed a deal that most benefited both parties in terms of $$ paid and cap hit from 2019 onward.

Matthews - I don't get you on this one. He signed mid-season in a very painless deal. No lowballs, he asked, they paid. I think he should be excluded from any examples of poor GM-ship. It's a pipe dream to think he was getting paid a dollar less. The shorter deal was for cap purposes too.

Marner - his camp was very vocal about NOT negotiating during the season. Odds are Marner turned down a Nylander level offer last summer, and bet on himself for this past season. voila. A deal will get done.

Just because Dubas isn't operating the way you think he should, does not mean he isn't operating properly.

None of us are in the rooms with him during any negotiations.

Sparks - I think that's one quality that separates Dubas from you and most of us. Patience. He went from Goalie of the Year in the AHL and a starter to a back up in Toronto in the NHL -- Huge adjustments.

Remember, Carey Price was young and replaced in the playoffs by Halak who led them over Wsh in a 1-8 seed matchup.
    Imagine if Mtl gave up on that kid at that time...
    Instead, they shipped Halak out. Have faith in your young players.
    If they have the pedigree, they'll bounce back, but they need more than 15 NHL games to prove it.

Administrator

The key point about contracts is it takes two to sign them.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

The Carey Price other side of the coin is Bobrovsky in Philly I guess. But in all honesty I don't remember the end of that relationship reasoning was.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Carey Price was a 5th overall pick. Sparks was a 7th Round pick.
    Apple meet orange.

And until the Leafs actually win a round in the playoffs, I think it's perfectly fair for fans of the team to be critical, myself included. It's perfectly reasonable to suggest they might be making mistakes. Some might even reasonably suggest their program has hit a wall or maybe even regressed a little.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Carey Price was a 5th overall pick. Sparks was a 7th Round pick.
    Apple meet orange.

And until the Leafs actually win a round in the playoffs, I think it's perfectly fair for fans of the team to be critical, myself included. It's perfectly reasonable to suggest they might be making mistakes. Some might even reasonably suggest their program has hit a wall or maybe even regressed a little.
    You should move around the circle and look at it from a different angle. The only reason we're in this cap crunch to begin with is because Marner, Nylander, Johnsson, Kapanen are all better - earlier than expected.

It's a good problem to have.

It's not like we just signed Beagle, Schaller & Roussel for 12m annually for 3+ years. Each.