Page 204 of 414 FirstFirst ... 104 154 194 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 214 254 304 ... LastLast
Results 3,046 to 3,060 of 6196

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

if Nuevirth wasnt hurt - Philly doesn't claim Pickard. If Darling wasn't hurt - Car. doesn't claim McElhenney.

It really was the perfect shitstorm that led to both being claimed. Once one/the other returns - expect Dubas to immediately put in a waiver claim. I fully expect one OR both to be coming back
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I was always under the impression that if a team that has claimed a player off another team waives that same player, the original team gets "first crack" at claiming that player, and they get to instantly put him in the minors because that was the original plan for the original team before the claiming team came in.

I could be wrong there though. I am just remembering the Griffith and Frk happenings, so I could EASILY be remembering the rules wrong.

---EDIT---
    I have a PDF of the NHL CBA (2013) I'll read the Waiver rules tonight and see if I can make heads and tails of the legal jargon that is in that thing.
    I don't remember the details of the Griffith situation but Frk returned to Detroit because they put in a claim for him and no one else did. Because that's how it works.

Here's a recent tweet from CapFriendly saying the exact same thing about Aberg:
    CapFriendly @CapFriendly
    If the Edmonton #Oilers reclaim Aberg, and they are the only club to put in a claim, they can then loan him down to Bakersfield in the AHL without requiring further action.
    (The Oilers decided not to put in a claim for him and no one else did either which is why the Ducks were able to demote him.)

Dobber Sports Titan

Here's the CBA rule:

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.
    Good catch Jouko

However, the loan thing is what I don't really get. Just because it says this before 13.22:
    (a) A Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers cannot be Traded or Loaned until after the expiration of the Waiver Period.
    (b) If no Club has claimed the Player within the Waiver Period the requesting Club may Loan such Player to a club of another league.
    So yeah, I don't know the conditions of the loan.

BUT:
    (b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.
    That's where my confusion was?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Immortal

Sounds like Dubas is getting on a plane to end this......

Sportsnet 590 The FAN

Verified account

@FAN590
    6m6 minutes ago
    More
    #Leafs GM Kyle Dubas has reportedly flown �� to Switzerland ���� to meet with William Nylander...what's the latest?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    So I'm assuming the agent will be there, but this is the first time Nylander has been involved in the discussion.

I wonder if Nylander called his agent and was like "WTF, you said this would be done by now. Lets get this done with. Get Dubas on the phone"

Or Dubas said "Ok Nylander, I'm coming to you so we can all talk together. We need to end this."

Either way, I feel like Nylander and Dubas are fed up with the situation and the agent might have lost a lot of cache because of this.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Excellent news.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I'm not so sure... I guess so.
    What's the marginal benefit here though? They're going to eat up cap space (which they will desperately need next year) to sign a guy who will simply bump Kappy down the lineup.
    The Leafs are producing goals just fine without Nylander. Kapanen looks just as solid with AM as Willie did.
    The whole team is dangerous offensively without him.
    So, unless he signs a team-friendly deal, I say let him sit.
    I was thinking about saying something like this... but then I didn't want to be seen as trolling. So I am glad a Leafs fan has came on and said it.

My thinking is that they have to trade one of Nylander or Kapanen for a D-man. The guys on TSN suggested a trade for Pesce from Carolina.

Could a sign and trade be in-place? Maybe that is why Dubas is heading over. Kapanen is working with Matthews right now.. and I am a strong believer of 'Don't fix want doesn't need fixing'

And for the Leafs to be true contenders... the area that needs fixing is Defense.

Dobber Sports Titan

William Nylander's dad is/was there in the meeting apparently. We don't even know what the meeting really is/was tho. Seems like kind of a last ditch effort in getting Nylander signed. This doesn't work, I can see it being a "here's the contract, if you don't sign it, we move on."

Maybe Dubas is going to try and sell a bridge deal.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I'm not so sure... I guess so.
    What's the marginal benefit here though? They're going to eat up cap space (which they will desperately need next year) to sign a guy who will simply bump Kappy down the lineup.
    The Leafs are producing goals just fine without Nylander. Kapanen looks just as solid with AM as Willie did.
    The whole team is dangerous offensively without him.
    So, unless he signs a team-friendly deal, I say let him sit.
    Regardless of how well the Leafs have been offensively without Nylander or how well Kapanen has been clicking with Matthews, this is still good news. Nylander is still property of the Leafs and he is a wasted asset training in Europe instead of being with the team. Leafs are going to have cap trouble whether Nylander signs now or later.

If I were to guess I?d say Dubas is going to present an offer that is slightly improved from the last offer and if Willie doesn?t take it than he is dealt. That or if Willie doesn?t take the new offer he will then be offered a team friendly bridge deal. Nylander has lost all leverage.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nylander must cave or he is done. They took a huge risk and it backfired.

Leafs are on top of the league, Kapanen is killing it, they are not missing Willy one bit. He's got no chips left in this negotiation.

Now that we've got some meaningful data 8 games into the season I would love to see them deal him to shore up the D.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Nylander must cave or he is done. They took a huge risk and it backfired.

Leafs are on top of the league, Kapanen is killing it, they are not missing Willy one bit. He's got no chips left in this negotiation.

Now that we've got some meaningful data 8 games into the season I would love to see them deal him to shore up the D.
    Bingo.

Dobber Sports Titan

I still wanna see that offense with another weapon, just to gush over. But the reality is I know the Leafs need to get a D-man.

But I do wonder what D-man a guy like Nylander could get.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I still wanna see that offense with another weapon, just to gush over. But the reality is I know the Leafs need to get a D-man.

But I do wonder what D-man a guy like Nylander could get.
    I know that Edmonton won't do that (they need D-man)... but a D-man like Darnell Nurse would be perfect!
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by ACC90 View Post
    I know that Edmonton won't do that (they need D-man)... but a D-man like Darnell Nurse would be perfect!
    I had this exact thought on my drive home from work just now. If I am Peter Chiarelli I am doing everything I can to acquire Nylander. McDavid is being wasted by playing with replacement level players. As much as they need Nurse/D-men, they need a skilled winger just as bad if not more. You just simply cannot waste anymore years of the best player in the world by not giving him capable line mates.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    I had this exact thought on my drive home from work just now. If I am Peter Chiarelli I am doing everything I can to acquire Nylander. McDavid is being wasted by playing with replacement level players. As much as they need Nurse/D-men, they need a skilled winger just as bad if not more. You just simply cannot waste anymore years of the best player in the world by not giving him capable line mates.
    Players like McDavid should not need high-end players around him. Look at what Crosby has had over the years. Truly great players can play with replacement-level players and turn them into stars.

More scoring depth on other lines, well, that's another story. In theory, Edmonton should have that already considering they're paying $8.5M for Draisaitl and $6M for RNH and Lucic. Does adding another $7M on Nylander fix that issue?