Page 101 of 412 FirstFirst ... 51 91 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 6179

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

I don't know what Kessel thought he was carrying on about today, but he often sounds like a fool when he speaks to the media. No wonder he's stayed away from interviews and such.

Not sure about most others, but I haven't come across any scathing condemnations of Phaneuf from the media. Most articles/blogs I have read point to the fact that Phaneuf has been miscast - he's being paid a top-defenceman's salary and has an appropriate term, but his ability just isn't there for the contract he carries. A lot of the stuff I have read about Phaneuf has actually defended him and pointed a shameful finger at some fans who chastise him for being paid what he makes, and not producing the same as a Weber or Subban or Karlsson.

Is Kessel referring to the unfortunate tweet that was broadcasted yesterday regarding Lupul and Phaneuf's wife...? If that's the case, then by all means, bombs away and TSN deserves to be admonished by one of Phaneuf's teammates.

“I mean, he’s our best defenceman and you guys act like he’s not trying out there and this and that. It’s embarrassing.”

“Obviously, winning cures everything. But right now, we’re struggling,” said Kessel. “Obviously, we’ve been in a lot of tight games and we’re not playing our best and we’re not winning. I think people think we’re happy in here."

I have yet to come across anything that insinuates Phaneuf doesn't care or try - on the contrary, shouldn't Kessel be more concerned about his own lack of effort and character issues, rather than defending imaginary criticisms leveled at his captain?

Dobber Sports Stud

Something that surfaced today, sir Marshal :

Click here for what I mean, since I am not so good at embedding Twitter images with the caption itself...

I haven't personally seen much about the whole debacle, because I choose to avoid the MSM (so the Cox's, Berger's, Feschuk's, Simmonds' and go), but I can only take a safe guess that it was not the only time they blasted the guy, or any other Leaf. I follow my own Leafs stuff (mostly MLHS, because I think they hold the justified criticism and realism that the MSM lacks).
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Believe me, I am NOT one to defend Steve Simmons. I can't stand the guy and I actually am quite certain that he blocked me on Twitter some time ago as I (politely) questioned his obsession with the Blue Jays re-acquiring Francisco Cordero. I watch The Reporters regularly on TSN and I like hearing Bruce Arthur, Michael Farber and to a lesser-degree, Dave Hodge.

Having said that, I can probably speak for many Torontonians (and most of those who follow the Leafs somewhat) by stating that the Toronto Sun is barely a newspaper or news agency. Credibility and talent from "journalists" writing for the Sun is right up there with that tabloid shit we all see at a 7-11 counter. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Simmons is a major hypocrite as he also apparently doesn't like having his strong opinions challenged by anyone and doesn't seem able to back up much of his claims or statements.

I read Feschuk and McGran from time to time as well as Arthur and Traikos. I don't recall reading much criticism from them at all regarding Phaneuf. The overall impression I've gotten from many of the more reputable writers from the Star/Globe/Post is that Phaneuf has been miscast and based on his production, he's overcompensated for his contract. I don't think I've read/heard of them outright flaming the guy and if anything their sentiment appears to be more of sympathy rather than contempt.

The criticism I've heard directed towards Phaneuf has been for his monotone interviews, repetitiveness and the fact that he seems lifeless on the ice. I have yet to hear anyone accuse him of "not trying" as Kessel has stated. I think it's noble for Kessel to stick up for his teammate, good for him. Openly seeking out the media to make a statement like he did takes some guts - especially given his preference to stay away from reporters.

I think Kessel deserves far more criticism than Phaneuf and I find it a bit odd that so many Leaf fans continue to rail against Phaneuf. I will say that at least Phaneuf seems like a hard-worker and for all of his faults and seemingly dull personality, I don't get the sense that he's a bad guy in the dressing room. Kessel, on the other hard, I consider to be an absolute DUD. Really surprises me that more Leaf fans don't see Kessel as more of a problem and less-desirable as a player than Phaneuf.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I guess you have to toss your Holzer jersey on the ice, eh?
    When he got a concussion I was like, “Woot, he’ll be kept!” but then I was upset again lol. I really did like him, but I understand why he was traded. At his age he wouldn’t be a part of the Leafs gameplan moving forward
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by marshal View Post
    Believe me, I am NOT one to defend Steve Simmons. I can't stand the guy and I actually am quite certain that he blocked me on Twitter some time ago as I (politely) questioned his obsession with the Blue Jays re-acquiring Francisco Cordero. I watch The Reporters regularly on TSN and I like hearing Bruce Arthur, Michael Farber and to a lesser-degree, Dave Hodge.

Having said that, I can probably speak for many Torontonians (and most of those who follow the Leafs somewhat) by stating that the Toronto Sun is barely a newspaper or news agency. Credibility and talent from "journalists" writing for the Sun is right up there with that tabloid shit we all see at a 7-11 counter. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Simmons is a major hypocrite as he also apparently doesn't like having his strong opinions challenged by anyone and doesn't seem able to back up much of his claims or statements.

I read Feschuk and McGran from time to time as well as Arthur and Traikos. I don't recall reading much criticism from them at all regarding Phaneuf. The overall impression I've gotten from many of the more reputable writers from the Star/Globe/Post is that Phaneuf has been miscast and based on his production, he's overcompensated for his contract. I don't think I've read/heard of them outright flaming the guy and if anything their sentiment appears to be more of sympathy rather than contempt.

The criticism I've heard directed towards Phaneuf has been for his monotone interviews, repetitiveness and the fact that he seems lifeless on the ice. I have yet to hear anyone accuse him of "not trying" as Kessel has stated. I think it's noble for Kessel to stick up for his teammate, good for him. Openly seeking out the media to make a statement like he did takes some guts - especially given his preference to stay away from reporters.

I think Kessel deserves far more criticism than Phaneuf and I find it a bit odd that so many Leaf fans continue to rail against Phaneuf. I will say that at least Phaneuf seems like a hard-worker and for all of his faults and seemingly dull personality, I don't get the sense that he's a bad guy in the dressing room. Kessel, on the other hard, I consider to be an absolute DUD. Really surprises me that more Leaf fans don't see Kessel as more of a problem and less-desirable as a player than Phaneuf.

I can tell you don't live in Toronto.

I live in Markham.

What's your point?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Fare the well Clarkson... And now Columbus doesn't have to watch him struggle for the next month or two either.

Rotten luck!
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...blique-muscle/

The Great One

I have yet to hear anyone accuse him of "not trying" as Kessel has stated.
    If you lived in Toronto you would here this, daily.

I don't think living 30 minutes north makes a difference. If you read the other part of my earlier post, you'd see that I note the Toronto Star, Globe and Mail and National Post as media outlets I follow. All are Toronto-based agencies. People in Markham and the GTA get the same media coverage that Torontonians get.

For the record, I think blaming the media is such bullshit. There's press in every NHL city and some people pretend that playing in Toronto is some kind of horrible burden for players. It's far easier for some Leaf fans to point at the media as the reason why they've collapsed season after season than it is to accept reality.

The Great One

Well I run into people all the time, daily, who say exactly what kessel said.

Dobber Sports Stud

For the record, I think blaming the media is such bullshit. There's press in every NHL city and some people pretend that playing in Toronto is some kind of horrible burden for players. It's far easier for some Leaf fans to point at the media as the reason why they've collapsed season after season than it is to accept reality.
    I don't think that it's blaming the media for the team being bad. It's blaming the media for being the "shitheads" many of them are. The team can be bad at the same time that the media is bad. They aren't necessarily linked.

It can't make the job easier with all the negativity, but the negativity stems from their bad play in the first place. And the bad play itself doesn't get to have excuses.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Stud

Things like not 'saluting' their fans and that odd event does not help them very much!

The team needs some positive leaders.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

first robidas now polak out for the rest of the season = more minutes for phaneuf = better draft pick

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    first robidas now polak out for the rest of the season = more minutes for phaneuf = better draft pick
    I think you mean "More minutes for Brewer" rather then Phaneuf ;P I think that impact will be larger then Phaneuf playing more.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports All-Star

I wrote this in another thread but figured it was a good fit here. Let me know your thoughts.

I really believe what we saw in late November and early December were the real Leafs. IMO this was a very good team. They seemed to have all the parts. I'm talking about 4 good lines with the additions of Santorelli and Winnick. Booth and Holland were also good depth additions to the existing roster, including Clarkson. Reilly and Gardner needed to take the next step to give them a potent top 4. In goal, Bernier and Reimer are more than capable. So what was missing? 100%, leadership! I am not talking about a coach. I am talking about on the roster. This team totally lacks any leadership and is the sole reason the team is where they are. There is no stability in the dressing room. Stability that certain players need, to be their best. Carlyle was a good coach, but there is only so much a coach can do, unless your name is Mike Babcock of course, but he has always had leadership with the likes of Lidstrom and Zetterberg.

The Leafs need to find themselves a leader on the ice first, and a capable coach second. Btw, I am not a Leafs fan!