Page 122 of 412 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 132 172 222 ... LastLast
Results 1,816 to 1,830 of 6179

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

[It might seem that way but I suspect that might be a quick emotion without exploring the picks a little more. The Leafs draft appeared to be more targeted towards players who were undervalued rather than big and heavy for the sake of going big and heavy. All the players they drafted were more picks who either were in underscouted markets (Russia), sick in previous seasons which left them undrafted and with a hard development year (Walker), or hidden behind deep teams (Nantinen). They could turn out awfully, or they could be alright. It's too early to say.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this IceWookie's entire post, just wanted to add to this section. It's funny how a lot of people complain or make comments about the Leafs taking older players in the draft and that they are older so that's the only reason they performed well. On the flip side, every single team sent players they drafted last year, and in some cases two years ago back to the CHL for further development. When a previously drafted player, say Bracco or Dzeirkals in draft year +1 perform well in the CHL fans are pumped and excited about their progress and continued development. The best example of this is Connor Brown, when the Leafs took him in the 7th round he was on a pitiful Erie team that had 11W. he also had 53pts in 68 games. He spent 2 more years with Erie after being drafted and blew up with Dane Fox at age 20.. yet all over hfboards Leaf fans were touting the emergence of Connor Brown as a fantastic steal in the 7th. So why should Brooks be viewed any different than the Leafs snagging Brown? Other than they did this post explosion.

It really is just the Leafs attempting to exploit extra talent from the draft. We won't know for another 3-5 years how good of a strategy last year and this year actually was.

As a life-long diehard Leaf fan, it's exciting in and of itself to have more than one prospect of interest to speak of and know we won't trade them for the next Owen Nolan tomorrow.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

I would only touch Connolly on a AHL only contract. He appears to have little to no NHL upside. He'd really be a waste of a contract spot for us. I'd rather bring Timashov into the AHL this year than him. By all accounts the NHL was overwhelming to him and he never adjusted to the speed of the game. Yzerman made out like a bandit with 2 - 2nd round picks for him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    My guess is they liked Polak’s size:
    6’0” 237lbs 30yrs old
    Wiz:
    5’11” 203lbs 32yrs old

Does depending on the contract tho, but I bet Wiz will be around the same as Polak.
    That and likely the familiarity of having him play within the system before. Wiz as a PMD is a little less needed with Rielly and Gards. Polak fills a more lacking position on defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I would only touch Connolly on a AHL only contract. He appears to have little to no NHL upside. He'd really be a waste of a contract spot for us. I'd rather bring Timashov into the AHL this year than him. By all accounts the NHL was overwhelming to him and he never adjusted to the speed of the game. Yzerman made out like a bandit with 2 - 2nd round picks for him.
    He signed with Washington so you don't need to worry!
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
    That and likely the familiarity of having him play within the system before. Wiz as a PMD is a little less needed with Rielly and Gards. Polak fills a more lacking position on defense.

Its really underappreciated how much bringing in a guy who's already got strong chemistry with the guys in the room can be. Wiz is probably a fine veteran and may well have done the job on the ice better. Even if you're only planting a small seed with it, it can put a bad taste in some of the young players mouths, especially the young ones.. The sense I get with Polak is that he was an excellent mentor for Reilly. The larger frame is also definitely going to be an asset, another reason I don't mind the Martin contract as much as some others. If you're going to have a lineup spotted with 5'11" 19-22 year olds you HAVE to protect them, no matter how much fighting and physicality leaves the game.
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Titan

Even if they don’t fight (which isn’t Babcock’s game) they are a physical presence on the ice where you don’t get that Draisaitl being mugged issue. I wish I could find the gif of it but draisaitl got mugged behind the net and no one comes to his rescue, then Hall gingerly skates in and taps shoulders with whoever hit Draisaitl.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Even if they don’t fight (which isn’t Babcock’s game) they are a physical presence on the ice where you don’t get that Draisaitl being mugged issue. I wish I could find the gif of it but draisaitl got mugged behind the net and no one comes to his rescue, then Hall gingerly skates in and taps shoulders with whoever hit Draisaitl.
    Not sure where the video would be, but I can vouch for that. It was a pretty pathetic showing of support by Edmonton. Players were skating away and just trying to avoid eye contact.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Not sure where the video would be, but I can vouch for that. It was a pretty pathetic showing of support by Edmonton. Players were skating away and just trying to avoid eye contact.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...-about-oilers/

Found it.

Dobber Sports Titan

Thanks for finding that. I wanted to watch it again after discussing it. Forgot it was a 6-0 game too. You would think they would have been upset by that.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Titan

Thanks for finding that. I wanted to watch it again after discussing it. Forgot it was a 6-0 game too. You would think they would have been upset by that.
    I forgot the comments from Atkins. Saying he had to stick up for himself sometimes, and how it seemed like Atkins didn’t even show the team how bad that play was. It was an all around mess. I don’t think any forward on the ice play the role of “tough guy” but any of the 2 D out there should have been right in there. Hall eventually stepped in, but it showed me he tries, but he’s not a leader. He’s a Kessel style player when it comes to leadership. A voice in the room, but not the guy who wants to be do anything outside of his role.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Agree 100%. No need for him to take a spot on this team, rather use it with a promotion from within. The Connolly ship has sailed with a lot of teams. Also prefer Polak over Wiz. The Polak signing is a need of size on the back end. Wiz isn't needed since Reilly and Gardiner have speed and talent. If Wiz was supposed to bring mentorship, Polak fits the bill for that too.

The Great One

Bored. So I'll give this a try....

JVR - Kadri - Komarov
    Michalek - Bozak - Nylander
    Martin - Matthews - Greening
    Lupul - Holland/Laich - (insert one of the Marlies who deserve it, I guess, and add Marner to the mix)

Is there any room for Marner? I can't see him playing more than 40-50 games.

Hunwick and Rielly stick together Id assume. Both lefties though.
    Gardiner and Zaitsev?
    Marincin and Polak

Anderson
    Sparks

I can see Michalek eventually getting less minutes as the season progresses. I think another season for the Marlies kids will be good. Can't see them sniffing NHL action unless injuries hit like last season. Another run with the Marlies can only be seen as a good thing. Theres 10M coming off the books next year in Laich Michalek and Greening and there will be three open spots open for Marlies players then. And then another 5.25M coming off the books the following year....Lupul. Leafs are in great shape, cap wise.

Dobber Sports Titan

Couple of opinions from me:
    Matthews should be first line
    Brown, Soshnikov and a couple other guys will likely push out the injured Lupul, Michalek etc.
    Marner I think sticks for at least 70 games (no where else productive for him to go)
    Carrick should be in the conversation for top 6 D.
    Lou said he will be signing a backup, at this point it's likely Enroth or Ramo.
    And just to be really anal about things, it's spelled Andersen

They are a tough team to peg though with so many new players/rookies etc.

Dobber Sports Genius

Couple of opinions from me:
    Matthews should be first line
    Brown, Soshnikov and a couple other guys will likely push out the injured Lupul, Michalek etc.
    Marner I think sticks for at least 70 games (no where else productive for him to go)
    Carrick should be in the conversation for top 6 D.
    Lou said he will be signing a backup, at this point it's likely Enroth or Ramo.
    And just to be really anal about things, it's spelled Andersen

They are a tough team to peg though with so many new players/rookies etc.
    Agree if Matthews isn't first line then what's the point?
    It won't take much for any of the young guys to push out Lupul, actually Lupul usually takes care of that himself.
    Agree with Marners GP
    Carrick and Zaitsev should crack the D corps for sure
    The right choice for back-up was made
    Way to autocorrect things in here Esk.

Hopefully the Leafs can have a good season (growth wise) and end up with a top 3 or 5 pick in the end.

Dobber Sports Titan

Babs said Matthews starts as C3.

Kadri will play the shutdown C1/2 role to play against the other team’s top line.

C1: Kadri/Bozak/Nylander, C2: Kadri/Nylander/Bozak, C3: Matthews/Bozak, C4: Bozak.

I really think Bozak will be everywhere in this lineup up and down.

In a video game, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Carrick, Rielly, Zaitsev, and Gardiner get as much time as possible. But it’s not a video game and older players will get time. I think this is one of the hardest lineups to peg.

Dobber Sports Titan

Babs said Matthews starts as C3.

Kadri will play the shutdown C1/2 role to play against the other team’s top line.

C1: Kadri/Bozak/Nylander, C2: Kadri/Nylander/Bozak, C3: Matthews/Bozak, C4: Bozak.

I really think Bozak will be everywhere in this lineup up and down.

In a video game, Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Carrick, Rielly, Zaitsev, and Gardiner get as much time as possible. But it’s not a video game and older players will get time. I think this is one of the hardest lineups to peg.
    When/Where did Babs say that Matthews was starting as C3?