Page 280 of 412 FirstFirst ... 180 230 270 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 290 330 380 ... LastLast
Results 4,186 to 4,200 of 6179

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

I wonder how many people realize (and, Leafs haters, you go right ahead and throw a tonne of venom my way for saying this...) the NHL stands to benefit greatly if the Kyle Dubas experiment succeeds. Conversely, the league stands to be hurt if it fails. By extension, hockey fans, in general, should not be hoping for the Leafs to fail, assuming they want a healthy, fun, and entertaining league that will grow and prosper going forward.

I can't recall the last time a team was built entirely upon a "finesse" foundation like this. Maybe the Pens from the early nineties? Oilers before that? Even those teams had some nasty customers.

If Dubas succeeds, other team builders will be more inclined to try the same construction approach. Analytics and finesse. Copycat league and all.
    And the entertainment value of pro hockey should increase a fair bit. I find myself watching many games where the quality, frankly, stinks. I can count quality scoring chances for both teams on one hand. Maybe it's just me.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I wonder how many people realize (and, Leafs haters, you go right ahead and throw a tonne of venom my way for saying this...) the NHL stands to benefit greatly if the Kyle Dubas experiment succeeds. Conversely, the league stands to be hurt if it fails. By extension, hockey fans, in general, should not be hoping for the Leafs to fail, assuming they want a healthy, fun, and entertaining league that will grow and prosper going forward.

I can't recall the last time a team was built entirely upon a "finesse" foundation like this. Maybe the Pens from the early nineties? Oilers before that? Even those teams had some nasty customers.

If Dubas succeeds, other team builders will be more inclined to try the same construction approach. Analytics and finesse. Copycat league and all.
    And the entertainment value of pro hockey should increase a fair bit. I find myself watching many games where the quality, frankly, stinks. I can count quality scoring chances for both teams on one hand. Maybe it's just me.
    ...except those teams scored a ton of goals with their finesse. This team isn't winning 5-4 or 6-5 games. They're most impressive win was 6-0 over the lowly Red Wings. That was their biggest output of the season. You have to expect more out of this expensive and talented team regardless of the coach.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    ...except those teams scored a ton of goals with their finesse. This team isn't winning 5-4 or 6-5 games. They're most impressive win was 6-0 over the lowly Red Wings. That was their biggest output of the season. You have to expect more out of this expensive and talented team regardless of the coach.
    100%. They should be dominating shifts, or constant highlights even with bad coaching. They just aren't. They really gotta come out of the roadtrip with more wins than loses (no duh) but have to show great play in every game. There's a little learning curve with a new coach, so there's that. But they've spent their grace period/losing skid early in the season. They have no leeway left.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Petan, Aberg, Marincin recalled.

Johnsson placed on LTIR with a leg injury, re-evaluate after Christmas.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I don't get this argument at all. I would much rather watch a team execute a good cycle then watch a ping pong match of blue line turnovers. Mucking and grinding in the corners is why I watch hockey. Maybe that's just me though.

Dobber Sports Jedi

i think Dubas prefaced the Keefe hiring with... 'there will be pain' as they change offensive & defensive systems on the fly. I'll withhold judgment until deep into the second half of the season.

There's 5 years of Grinding those leafs have to wash off. That can't happen overnight.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    i think Dubas prefaced the Keefe hiring with... 'there will be pain' as they change offensive & defensive systems on the fly. I'll withhold judgment until deep into the second half of the season.

There's 5 years of Grinding those leafs have to wash off. That can't happen overnight.
    Who thought it was going to completely change overnight?

Game 1 with Keefe you could see there was a ton of growing pains. There was like 9 2on1s that just didn't happen that should have against Toronto.

Dobber Sports Titan

Liljegren recalled as well as Marincin. Both are listed as "emergency Loaned to the NHL" or whatever that designation is.

Leafs upcoming schedule:
    Tuesday Dec17 vs Buff
    Friday Dec 20 @ NYR
    Sat Dec21 vs Wings
    Monday Dec23 vs Carolina
    Friday Dec27 @NJD
    Sat Dec28 vs NYR

Dobber Sports Titan

Barrie said when he tested his foot out, he saw McDavid was going to come out for the next shift and he decided he could not risk a shift against McDavid with a bum foot. That actually takes a lot of guts to tell your new coach, "I can't do this successfully for you".

Does sound optimistic about playing tmo though.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Barrie said when he tested his foot out, he saw McDavid was going to come out for the next shift and he decided he could not risk a shift against McDavid with a bum foot. That actually takes a lot of guts to tell your new coach, "I can't do this successfully for you".

Does sound optimistic about playing tmo though.
    Not really. He's not a rookie or a bubble NHL player. Most players aren't smart enough to do this when they're not feeling so well.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Not really. He's not a rookie or a bubble NHL player. Most players aren't smart enough to do this when they're not feeling so well.
    Most players are to stubborn to say, "I'm not good enough to defend that man". So wouldn't you say it takes guts/self-knowledge/self-worth to say, "I'm not healthy enough to do that"?

- Trevor Moore closing in on return. He's "doubtful" for tmo, but he's skating and what not. So he's def getting close.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Most players are to stubborn to say, "I'm not good enough to defend that man". So wouldn't you say it takes guts/self-knowledge/self-worth to say, "I'm not healthy enough to do that"?
    It's not guts if it's Tyson Barrie. He's not risking anything. It's a smart move, not a gutsy one.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

It's not guts if it's Tyson Barrie. He's not risking anything. It's a smart move, not a gutsy one.
    Saying, "No I can't do that" could in scenarios take guts. Saying no to your boss (coach), especially when your previous one was a guy like Babcock, can take guts. But I guess it depends on the person.

Dobber Sports Padawan

This is really confusing to me. I never knew smart and gutsy couldn't happen at the same time.

Also, Leafs interested in tiny KHL goalie. Hmmm. https://www.thescore.com/news/1880852

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Why is Moore still not playing? Any news?