Page 271 of 412 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 281 321 371 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 6179

Thread: Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Toronto Maple Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    I follow quite a few hardcore Leafs fans on twitter, and the sentiment with Babcock has sure shifted this year. Fans understand that this window is closing rapidly, if it hasn't already. And Babcock seems to coach with his ego/gut instead of just playing the team Dubas intended him to.
    Speaking of Dubas, fans on twitter are fed up with his one way approach. There are a tonne of traditional Leafs fans and most of them believe every team needs balance. The Blues winning the cup really reinforced this notion (although, in my own opinion, the Blues' grittiness is a little overrated).
    Dubas wants skill and speed and doesn't put much weight on intangibles like team toughness.
    This philosophy seems to be wearing thin with many fans. Quickly.
    Yeah, that philosophy is wearing thin. I do think the Leafs have a lot of pretty players who quite frankly don't care about doing what it takes to win. Nylander is the poster child for this in Toronto. A figure skater playing hockey. The only hit he ever gave was by accident. Matthews couldn't care less about using his body for fear his shoulder(s) will fall off. Morgan Rielly is a disgraceful Dman. Sure, he's excellent offensively but he's less than a bull fighter defending. It's like there's a 3 feet force field when he's playing defense and his only goal is to shadow. His careless random passes attempting to dump the puck out of the zone are maddening and lead to goals or scoring opportunities. Puck battles by the Leafs look like fencing competitions.

Babcock is coasting riding it out cashing those huge checks. He doesn't care if he gets fired or not and I believe he'd prefer it so he can wear his Carhartt clothes and watch the hunting channel all day. He and Dubas are not on the same page and I don't care how much lip service is given to the fact they are by the both of them. You have a grandpa type figure behind the bench with a bunch of mostly unmotivated boys, not men. Leafs need a fiery presence behind the bench. Someone who'll force guys like Nylander and Matthews to become driven two-way players.

I expect some kind of shakeup is in the offing if something doesn't change on the ice soon, and I'm not sure it's going to. Haven't mentioned Hutchinson isn't an NHL goaltender. It's embarrassing a team with Cup aspirations is trotting him out on back to backs against upper echelon teams. That's the plan? Ludicrous.

My hope is Babs gets the axe or they trade a pretty piece like Nylander to shake this team up. It truly does act like it's won the Cup for 5 straight seasons and regular season hockey is to just cherry pick for stats. Yes, there are exceptions. Guys like Goat and Trevor Moore bring it every night. Might be scary to see what this Leafs team could be if they all played with Goat and Moore's passion.

Team does need balance. Dubas seems to like to take a look at analytics (Ceci is outlier) and build his roster based on 1-23 highest scores. I'm with old guard Leafs nation and a guy like Herb Brooks who didn't want the best players, necessarily, he wanted the right ones. Leafs have some talented wrong ones.
    10 Team H2H Points-Only
    G=3, A=2, PPP=1, SHG=2
    Goalie W=5 GA= -1 SO=3

22 Man Roster: 9F, 5D, 1U, 2G w/Max of 4 G's (Can drop G for F or D) 5 Bench Spots (Up to 7 if you don't carry a goalie)
    F: McDavid, Barkov, Marner, Pettersson, Stone, Olofsson, Pearson, Meier, DeBrincat, Ehlers, Fiala, Rust, Kubalik, Cirelli, Yamamoto, Tarasenko, (Ghost of Bjorkstrand...too sad to fill his spot right now)
    D: Hedman, Barrie, Klingberg, Pionk, Niskanen
    G: Zero-Goalie Strategy
    ***Prayers for Oskar Linblom***

Dobber Sports Titan

There's a lot to unpack in that last message. Mostly I got:

-Babcock is too old school and needs to be fired
    -Dubas and Babcock aren't on the same page
    -Leafs players are too new school and need to be moved for old school players
    -Rielly, and Matthews are bad defensively

So I was pretty confused as what the purpose of that message is. And after 9 games in the season, the Leafs need to trade players now....

I can't say I agree with a lot of the thought, but I think the Leafs are at the height of their potential under Babcock, and need to mentally get past Boston. The Leafs are right there with them, they just need to mental toughness to get past them. They are all hurting from the last 2 yrs, and you saw that in the win on Saturday. Hopefully that fuel is still there in April
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

7 games in 12 games, and 3 b2b's. Hoping that's the reason why their play is terrible. They can't string 3 periods of good play together to save their lives.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    7 games in 12 games, and 3 b2b's. Hoping that's the reason why their play is terrible. They can't string 3 periods of good play together to save their lives.
    Bit of a break this week with only 2 games. Tues vs Wash and Sat vs Philly.

Dobber Sports Titan

14 games in 30 days next month too, with 2 b2bs. They didn't really catch a break with the schedule. Hard to practice with their schedule and they have a lot of turnover. They have 10 b2bs before NYE, and 6 are Friday/Saturday (doesn't matter but like... they are always primetime Saturday. Hard to promote top teams who are on their second game of a b2b - 100% whining on that point)

But they're running out of excuses and they need this little break they have coming up.

They have Hyman, Dermott, and JT coming back soon, but they aren't going to fix their issues, they may put a bandaid on their underlying issues. But it won't fix the issues.

Administrator

You would think Mr. Cap Genius would have figured out a way to acquire a better backup. Hutchinson isn't getting it done.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    You would think Mr. Cap Genius would have figured out a way to acquire a better backup. Hutchinson isn't getting it done.
    I'm still interested in how they manage Dermott/Hyman returning, and the implications on the cap/roster.

But you'd think they could get a backup from a team and get them to retain money to equal a $700k contract.

Would Washington part with Copley and hold $400k of his 1.1mill deal? I dunno, but that's just an example of something I'd be intrigued by. Leafs have like 4 7th rounders, think a team would part with an unused backup for a 7th and Hutch?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Would Washington part with Copley and hold $400k of his 1.1mill deal? I dunno, but that's just an example of something I'd be intrigued by. Leafs have like 4 7th rounders, think a team would part with an unused backup for a 7th and Hutch?
    Washington wouldn't get anything out of that. I'm willing to bet they value Copley as depth more than a meaningless 7th round pick.

That proposal is very Leafs-centric.

Dobber Sports Titan

Washington wouldn't get anything out of that. I'm willing to bet they value Copley as depth more than a meaningless 7th round pick.

That proposal is very Leafs-centric.
    It was an example of a goalie in the minors, that isn't being used and has $$ against the NHL cap.

Copley is good, not great, but yes I know that's not going to happen for a 7th. There's no motivation for Washington to move Copley as his NHL cap penalty is only $25,000 so like, no reason to move him for cap reasons

There's really only a couple of goalies out there that would be on the market to be moved, and it's really like...Why would teams trade depth at goaltending right now? It's too early for teams to move depth like that:
    -Desmith
    -Forsling
    -Stolarz
    -Miller (maybe? M-NTC tho)
    -Lyon

But how much of an upgrade on Hutch are those guys? The play in front of Hutch isn't good, not Hutch really.

Administrator

Out of that list the only ones I would pursue are Miller and Desmith. If the team is retaining salary then the Leafs would be giving a much better draft pick. They'll be paying for someone else to eat cap.

Dobber Sports Titan

Out of that list the only ones I would pursue are Miller and Desmith. If the team is retaining salary then the Leafs would be giving a much better draft pick. They'll be paying for someone else to eat cap.
    And Ryan Miller's love of the West coast would very likely just knock him into the "impossible to acquire" category. It's a "6-team trade list" MNTC. He's really not going anywhere.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I personally don't think Hutch is the problem. Their D is awful. Andersen's .904 isn't getting it done either, but I don't think it's his fault. As a team, they are just giving up way too many quality scoring chances. Barrie, in particular, given his salary, has been quite a disappointment. I could pick on Marincin too, but everybody knows how bad that guy is. It's really not his fault that his coaches somehow see ability in him when it just isn't there.

The Great One

Who ever could have predicted the Leafs would have problems with their defense! Especially after adding Cody Ceci lol

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Who ever could have predicted the Leafs would have problems with their defense! Especially after adding Cody Ceci lol
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Dermott confirmed to play tmo.