Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: San Jose Sharks

Dobber Sports Initiate

I watched this interview of GM Doug Wilson on the trade and at around the 2:00 min mark he talks about how with Setoguchi leaving Pavelski will be able to slide in their and take that spot which is where he belongs. It was something along those lines anyway. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRRT42h4ekM

Now Seto was getting some decent playing time on Thornton's RW, so do you guys think that will be more likely where he ends up instead of at 3rd line C? Just curious because I don't know how much GM DW will have a say in it or what he really knows will work best, The response in the interview seemed to be just a quick one on the surface of it all, but it makes it interesting.

Dobber Sports Padawan

So, in case you have not heard, Heater was traded to Minn for Havlet. So the nuts and bolts

Heatley out.....26G, 38A, 7.5MM cap hit
    Havelt in.......22G, 40A, -10, 5MM cap hit

Overall, I have to be honest, I LOVE THIS TRADE. Cannot say that enough. I have read the other boards. And as much as I love reading other people comments I cannot help but feel sorry for them. They are making judgements based on statistics rather then actual play.

The statistics say that Dany Heatley is a far superior player. They say that he is going to score 45-50 goals and he is going to be a superstar.

The reality is that after the first couple of months, Heatley never got top PP time nor did he play on the top line at all and by the end of the season, he was a third line player taking the biggest cap hit on the team. Seriously, the man can shoot with the best of them. It is quite incredible to watch.......IF he is in the right place at the right time. He has no ability to skate with the puck on his stick. His passing is subpar and his skating is attrocious. His defense? Well, I think a pylon would do a better job and each and every time he was on the ice, he looked lost and confused. I am so thankful to be ridding this team of a player like that. In addition, he and Thornton never clicked. And who does not click with Thornton? Cheechoo clicked to the tune of 54 goals. Marleau moved to wing and has been a pretty consistant 40 goal scorer. Seto clicked and put up 30 goals. And yet Heatley, a pure goal scorer, could not click with Thornton, one of the games elite pure passers.

Now to be fair, I do not know exactly what we are getting back from Minn. I know that Havelt has not been amazing by any stretch otherwise there would not be so many people thinking the Sharks got the raw end of this deal but, if he can skate and he can get back to play a little defense every now and then, I think that this is going to work out just fine.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

Dobber Sports Genius

This trade screams cap budgeting to make room for Burns and Couture long-term. My only concern with this trade is that we got Havlat for 4 more seasons. He'll be either 34 or 35 when this contract is up. He used to be a complete band-aid boy, but he's put together some healthy seasons as of late.

His linemates in Minny were atrocious and if he clicks well enough and with his speed, he might just score 35 plus himself this year. I'm curious if he plays on the top PP unit or not. Right now I'm still thinking Burns, Boyle, Thornton, Marleau are locks. The other unit was Heatley, Couture, Clowe, Pavelski (sometimes played point on 1st unit). Havlat may join the top unit and Demers QBs the 2nd. This gets my juices buzzing. I think we got a player who's faster as Dobber said and that may make Marleau and Havlat screaming down the ice for a Thornton pass that much more exciting.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Padawan

For those of you that have not seen, Burns has been resigned

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...shift-in-teal/

I love this deal for the Sharks. The length and the cap hit is perfect. This makes giving up Coyle totally worth it. I was thinking along the lines of 5.5MM per but I can definitely live with 5.76MM/year. If he stays healthy, this is a great move. If they win the cup with him, this becomes even bigger. If the cap does not move next year, the Sharks will have 12.5MM to sign 8 players. One of those will be Couture. He will sign a 1-2 years deal between 2-3MM. That is how Doug Wilson works. You get a mid contract before your first big deal. He did it with Clowe, Pavelski and with Seto before he traded Seto away. So if you figure 3MM for Couture, you figure that Griess comes up to take on the backup role at 600k, that still leaves the Sharks with almost 9MM to sign 6 players and all 6 will be third and fourth line players or bottom pairing defensemen. This is simply brilliant and leaves the Sharks with plenty of room to work with. Well done Doug Wilson. Well done.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

As reported on this site by Dyz, The Sharks have signed Colin White to a 1 year, $1MM deal today. Analysis to come but overall, I absolutely love the move

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...ose-1-million/
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

So it's been a while. I have done some serious research and to be 100% honest, I don't think that I have ever been so excited about the Sharks heading into the season. I was not even close to this excited about the Sharks when they acquired Heater for nothing more than a song. I was not this excited when they acquired Boyler. I was definitely not this excited heading into last year even when we were up 3-0 on Detroit. I just feel like this team is so much more balanced. It is incredible.

So, analysis of the White deal. LOVE IT!!!!!!! Holy cow do I love it. Look at the Sharks from 1-6. Who has a better 1-6 in the league this season? Sure, there are teams that have better 1-4, but 1-6 from both an offensive and a defensive perspective, I can't think of another team that is significantly better than the Sharks. Perhaps there are some that compare, but better? No. Without a doubt, this is the best blueline that the SJ Sharks have ever had. The way I see it, it will shake out like this

Boyle-Murray - Very good top line combo. Murray is a stay at home punishing defensemen while we all know that Boyle can and will be one of the top 5 producers from the blue line in the league.

Burns-Vlassic - I realize that Vlassic has really not met expectations over the last couple of years but throwing him out there with Burns is going to take a TON of pressure off the kid and just let him play hockey. Three years ago, the Sharks brought in Rob Blake and Pickles really took a huge step forward. He looked like a great defensive player and started to show some offensive potential. He won't need to carry the load this year. I REALLY see him as a late round sleeper. And if he starts to play up to his potential when he was with Blake, this is another line that could be a top pairing on a lot of teams.

White-Demers - White is a BEAST on defense. Over the last 3 years, he routinely was run onto the ice to match up against the top line the other team had. And he is going to play on the third defensive pair with a young up and coming defensemen? This is incredible. EXACTLY what the Sharks have been looking for for the last three years (when they acquired Huskins and Wallin).

Absolutely LOVE this blue line set up. Cannot say enough about it. I am drooling for the season to start. LA may have upgraded significantly this season but seriously, with a Sharks blue line that runs 8 deep (with Braun and Vandermeer), it's going to be tough to find some good matchups.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Star

Does Burns help or hurt Boyle's production
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by bballplyr321 View Post
    So it's been a while. I have done some serious research and to be 100% honest, I don't think that I have ever been so excited about the Sharks heading into the season. I was not even close to this excited about the Sharks when they acquired Heater for nothing more than a song. I was not this excited when they acquired Boyler. I was definitely not this excited heading into last year even when we were up 3-0 on Detroit. I just feel like this team is so much more balanced. It is incredible.

So, analysis of the White deal. LOVE IT!!!!!!! Holy cow do I love it. Look at the Sharks from 1-6. Who has a better 1-6 in the league this season? Sure, there are teams that have better 1-4, but 1-6 from both an offensive and a defensive perspective, I can't think of another team that is significantly better than the Sharks. Perhaps there are some that compare, but better? No. Without a doubt, this is the best blueline that the SJ Sharks have ever had. The way I see it, it will shake out like this

Boyle-Murray - Very good top line combo. Murray is a stay at home punishing defensemen while we all know that Boyle can and will be one of the top 5 producers from the blue line in the league.

Burns-Vlassic - I realize that Vlassic has really not met expectations over the last couple of years but throwing him out there with Burns is going to take a TON of pressure off the kid and just let him play hockey. Three years ago, the Sharks brought in Rob Blake and Pickles really took a huge step forward. He looked like a great defensive player and started to show some offensive potential. He won't need to carry the load this year. I REALLY see him as a late round sleeper. And if he starts to play up to his potential when he was with Blake, this is another line that could be a top pairing on a lot of teams.

White-Demers - White is a BEAST on defense. Over the last 3 years, he routinely was run onto the ice to match up against the top line the other team had. And he is going to play on the third defensive pair with a young up and coming defensemen? This is incredible. EXACTLY what the Sharks have been looking for for the last three years (when they acquired Huskins and Wallin).

Absolutely LOVE this blue line set up. Cannot say enough about it. I am drooling for the season to start. LA may have upgraded significantly this season but seriously, with a Sharks blue line that runs 8 deep (with Braun and Vandermeer), it's going to be tough to find some good matchups.

I agree, they certainly have addressed their needs, which became obvious in that elimination at the hands of the Canucks. Next year, if they meet them again, the Canucks won't simply be able to dump the puck in Boyle's corner and try to wear him down physically, they'll have other big Dmen to contend with. Burns is underrated in this regard, obviously he brings lots of offensive flair to the table, but he's also 6'5 and 220+.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I agree, they certainly have addressed their needs, which became obvious in that elimination at the hands of the Canucks. Next year, if they meet them again, the Canucks won't simply be able to dump the puck in Boyle's corner and try to wear him down physically, they'll have other big Dmen to contend with. Burns is underrated in this regard, obviously he brings lots of offensive flair to the table, but he's also 6'5 and 220+.
    So, I'll ask again, does Burns help Boyle's production? Could help take the pressure off as being mr. everything and can focus on lighting it up again.

Not that 50 points is anything to sneeze at, but it would be great to see him back at the 15 goal mark (for me, anyway).

Burns also may slice right into his PP time, though, so not sure how to guage this - been getting offers for Boyle and not sure if his value has increased or decreased.
    Last edited by loco man; August 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM.

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    So, I'll ask again, does Burns help Boyle's production? Could help take the pressure off as being mr. everything and can focus on lighting it up again.

Not that 50 points is anything to sneeze at, but it would be great to see him back at the 15 goal mark (for me, anyway).

Burns also may slice right into his PP time, though, so not sure how to guage this - been getting offers for Boyle and not sure if his value has increased or decreased.

I'm pretty sure he helps Boyle, the PP with Burns is going to be that much more productive (scary even), plus the defensive line assignments will have to contend with both Boyle on one pairing and Burns on another pairing, which will be difficult (no way they pair Boyle and Burns at ES, wouldn't make sense). I think Boyle could see his best season production-wise in awhile.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he helps Boyle, the PP with Burns is going to be that much more productive (scary even), plus the defensive line assignments will have to contend with both Boyle on one pairing and Burns on another pairing, which will be difficult (no way they pair Boyle and Burns at ES, wouldn't make sense). I think Boyle could see his best season production-wise in awhile.
    Nice.

Ya, since they play a similar rover style, it would be great to keep rolling Boyle then Burns one after another.

Could really help their transition game at regular strength and that PP should be scary, as long as Boyle gets his share of shots from the point (3x pts for D goals in our league) and is not just the set up guy for Mr. Burns.

Thanks - a big year from Boyle means a nice year for me!

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Padawan

Couture has signed a 2 year extension with the Sharks.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...n-for-couture/

No word on money but I would guess probably around 2-2.5MM per. DW always makes his players take a mid level deal before the big money deal. He did it with Pavs, he did it with Clowe and he did it with Seto. I think that we all saw this coming but it's nice to know that it has been taken care of.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

Loco

I agree with Ross that Burns is going to complement Boyle in a HUGE way. They will not hurt each other production but honestly, they will be two of the top producing defensemen in the league if Burns stays healthy. Last season Boyle really had no one on the opposite point on the PP. Pavelski was good but he makes his real money, down low. And everyone in the NHL knew that. So with Burns on the other point, teams are going to have to respect what he can do instead of just keying on Boyle. The same can be said at even strength because now, teams have to sets of defensemen to key on so neither Burns nor Boyle will see the best defensemen every time.

BUT, the biggest and most important thing that Burns is going to do which will help Boyle is cut down his TOI. Last season, Boyle was second in the league in terms of TOI with over 26 minutes. That is WAY too much. By the end of the game, Boyle was out of gas and as the season wore on, he got exceedingly tired. You could see it in his play. He was not jumping as much or trying to be a part of the offense really. So with Burns coming on, Boyle will see his TOI drop to a reasonable 21-22 minutes a game and with that, you will see more energy, more jumping and more points. Thank you Doug Wilson
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Genius

I got to say, I'm excited about this upcoming season. I'm curious as to how well Havlat does with the team. Burns I think is a surefire lock to become a solid backend solution. Havlat is still questionable as was Heatley. I don't think he brings as much confidence to fans like Heatley did at first. I feel like people are having to find ways of justifying the trade to themselves. Don't get me wrong, i think the trade was good. Heatley just wasn't hacking it for us, we saved some money, and Havlat is faster, which should help that second line be blazing fast.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Padawan

So Couture,

2 years, 5.75MM for a cap hit of 2.875. A Little more than I was anticipating to be honest with you but the kid was awesome last year so it works out. The other interesting thing about this deal is that he will be a RFA the same year that the contracts for Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski and Boyle all come to an end. The offseason of 2014 could see a completely different Sharks team indeed.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All