Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: San Jose Sharks

Dobber Sports Padawan

Game Recap - 3/19 - StL v SJ

Overall, when the game first started, StL looked significantly better than SJ. They came out and just dominated the first couple of minutes. But when the Sharks got an ugly goal in front of the net, it looked like the wind was taken right out of the sails of the Blues and they could not get their swagger back until 5 minutes left in the 3rd. Unfortunate for a team that I have always felt had so much talent and yet, it never seems to directly translate into victories. A buddy of me asked me about a month ago who I was scared of in the west this year. Honestly, the two teams that scared me the most were LA because they were young and definitely getting better and StL because they have SO much talent at every position (especially after they acquired Shattenkirk and Stewart) and a goalie that can just shut it down in Halak. If only they did not have all those injuries this season. But I come back to the post. End rant.

Players that stood out for me:

Pavelski - This one is obvious but he is really starting to develop some nice chemistry with Mitchell. The speed of Mitchell really complements the playmaking and responsible play of Pavelski. Add in the fact that Pavs is going to the net a lot more and seeming to be getting a little more confidence at the point on the PP and the points start to come. Seriously, there is nothing that he is really doing special right now just shots that were going wide or getting blocked in the past are getting through or are just inside the post for goals.

Mitchell - With the second star last night and a goal and an assist, I was overall VERY impressed with his play last night. He was all over the ice and seemed like any time there was a big play, Mitchell was a part of it. Like I said the other day, it really feels like he is playing his game and dictacting the play instead of just letting the game come to him. Might be a nice short term pickup in deeper leagues but never going to get more than 20G if he ever gets there. Ride the wave while you can.

Boyle - I was really worried that he was seriously hurt when he went down in the 3rd period against Minnesota but he didn't show any ill effects in this game. He was cutting and skating hard the entire game. He did have a couple of shady passes but overall, I am pleased that he is not showing any signs of an injury.

Vlasic - Over the past 5 or so games, Vlasic has looked tremendous. He is playing a sound defensive game and had the vision to pull a puck off the goal line as it was about to go in last night. But more importantly, he is jumping up more and more and doing it with confidence and doing it smartly leading a breakout and opening up to give his team a legitimate place to throw the puck. I had to do a double take more then one time when I saw that yes, that was Pickles driving straight up the center of the ice to lead the break.

Not so good
    Couture - You could have heard a pin drop when he went down in the second. It was a sickening feeling. The way that he slid into the boards was ugly to say the least. He was literally carried off the ice. All I have is TV coverage and hear say but what I have heard is that he was not available to the media after the game and no one saw him from the time that he went to the locker room until an hour after the game. There are reports that he did walk to his car and apparently he did post something on twitter last night but since I do not have a twitter account, I cannot verify this. Sorry

White - White came onto the scene and I initially thought that he was not going to be right for the Sharks. But he has shown some good offensive zone ability. Something that this team desperately needs. But his defensive play has been attrocious to say the least. Last night was really no exception. He looked out of position in multiple situations and he has not been jumping in the same way of the offensive zone like I would hope that he would. Maybe I am expecting too much out of him since that is not really his job but I would like to see a little more consistency in the defensive zone. One last note. I did not see him on the PP at all. Not that the Sharks had a lot of PP time because they scored so fast but still

Well folks. That's really all I have right now. As usual, if you have any questions, throw them out there.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

Banned

from twitter:

Thanks for the support everyone. Thankfully, it isn't as bad as it looked or first felt. Hope to be back soon! Big win tonight. On a side note, been thinking about getting my haircut. Against it because i enjoy saying #longhairdontcare a little too much!
    Wow, saw the replay of me going into the boards last night. Pretty scary stuff. Feeling much better today, thanks for all the support!
    Hopefully he's back next game, as my h2h playoffs start tomorrow, and I NEED his GWG's!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for the help there Dutch. Rep certainly coming back to you once I reload.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Banned

Couture is playing tonight

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Curious as to what your take on Marleau is. I picked him up for the next 3 years and honestly was very dissapointed to start with. I had many trades involving him but none went through. I am starting to like this as he has been tearing it up as of late. Some how snuck back up to top 5 in points for me. What do you think about him going forward for the next couple seasons with the Sharks. I really DON'T like Heatley and was mocked for taking Marleau but could it be the old dog has some tricks up his sleeve still? He's making my pick look great and the people that banked on Heatley seem to be really let down
    1 year:
    Player stats: G, A, PMs, SOGs
    Goalie stats: SV, GA, W, SO

Forwards: D. Sedin, E. Staal, Vanek, Hall, Bergeron, Marchand, Lupul, Clarkson, Voracek, Tanguay, Stepan, Ryder
    Defence: Chara, Boyle,
    Goalies: Rask, Miller, Khubodin, Peters
    IR

Dobber Sports Stud

I come here to praise Logan Couture. You Sharks fans really have a great NHL talent. Absolutely phenominal hockey player Couture is. I really enjoy watching Sharks games late at night on the east coast because of him. With my team not making the playoffs, I'll be cheering for you guys come playoff time.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey unlevel.

I am in the same boat as you are with Marleau v Heatley discussion. I think Heatley is more of a snipper but he just looks so bad when he is out on the ice. I don't really know how he scored so much in Ott but he did so there has to be something missing.

As for Marleau, he has always been a really streaky player. Usually he gets insanely hot at the beginning of the season and sometimes he turns it on in the playoffs but if you can trade him now and get a return like he is a 40 goal, 85 point guy, I would make the deal. His value is not going to get any higher because he is so streaky. I know how hard it is to trade a player while they are in the midst of an amazing run but sometimes that what you have to do to get the most value out of a guy. Sell high, buy low. Next season, I see 35 goals and 70-75 points but he is never going to be a PPG player especially when this season, we can see that the SJ Sharks have started to work on their defensive game. In addition, Marleau has only cracked 40 goals one time in his career and he is not getting any younger. Losing at least one of the top 6 and possibly 2 because of the salary cap is not going to help his cause. Now is the time to look to get something for him
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

Atl,

Your praise does not fall upon def ears. As our announcers said the other day, where would this team be this season if we did not have Couture. He has been absolutely phenomenal for us and honestly, I feel that he is a better candidate for the Calder then either Skinner or Grabovski. The biggest difference for me is not so much the statistics although his are quite comparable to either Skinner or Grabs but the fact that he is just SO clutch. If you need something to happen, you look toward Couture. Not only that but he makes the players around him better. He has cooled off a bit of late but he still shows flashes of making his line the best line on the ice because he is there
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

The Detroit/SJ game was absolutely brutal and the second amazing game of this series. The two teams are evenly matched and either one could easily walk away with a series win even with SJ being up 2-0

The top line for SJ is starting to wake up a bit. Seto had his best game of the playoffs yesterday and he is really starting to hit people. When Seto gets physical on the ice, his play really takes a step up. He may not have shown up on the score sheet but he was a huge factor in the game chasing down pucks and going to the dirty areas.

Yesterday was the first time in as long as I can remember that I actually saw Heatley get off a decent slap shot. I honestly think he is hurt or something but he has not been the Heatley of even the last two years.

Neither the Wings nor the Sharks have any issue at all running top line against top line. And with Babcock able to get Datsyuk out to the faceoff dot at will
    (24+ TOI), last line change advantage really goes out the window in Detroit.

I keep waiting for Zetterberg to show up in this series but so far, he has been rather pedestrian. Datsyuk and Howard have really been the two best players on the ice.

The officiating in this series has been atrocious. Not just for one team or the other but the inconsistency is mind boggling and the crap that these guys are getting away with on the ice.......well I believe it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. There were some absolute EPIC battles between Holmstrom and Boyle (yes, Dan Boyle is getting physical) in front of the net. If it is not Holmstrom, it is Bertuzzi or Franzen. If it is not Boyle, it is Murray or Wallin. Regardless, cross-checks to the back of the head in front of the official when the whistle blows have got to stop.

The Sharks are giving Howard a ton of snow showers. He says that they are not getting to him but the slash across the ankle of Joe Thornton after the whistle (not called even though the ref literally watched him do it and had a linesmen jump in to pull Joe away) tends to tell me otherwise.

Detroit is ready to be back home in the friendly confines of the Joe. This next game is going to be HUGE.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey BBall, just a quick note to add to the praise of Couture. As I posted in the Series Thread, I was really impressed with his character in the post-game interview last night after they had their asses handed to them. I've read Angus' comparisons to Toews and after seeing how Logan handled himself, not bashing the Canucks, but rather commenting on the Sharks themselves, I came away with even more respect for this young talent. The young man showed class, humility and accountability, which to me = Leadership.

I know you guys are in tough right now, but you're sure blessed with some serious depth at center - 3 guys who would be #1's on a lot of teams. If you had that kind of depth at D you'd be unstoppable.

Dobber Sports Genius

Big fan and have been following these guys for years.

After watching this series with the Canucks, I've got to say that upgrading the defense is even more imperative than before. We need better first passes getting out of the zone and moving up the ice.

I'd love to see the Sharks make a move for some serious d-man, but with the cap, my best guess is they can maybe sign Wisniewski if he doesn't sign with the Habs. He'd provide grit and some offense there.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Padawan

Agreed that Couture is the real deal. SJ was very fortunate that they were able to get him the year that they did in the draft. If he had not had mono for the season, I think he would have gone a couple of spots higher.

As for the defensive issue, is has been an issue all season long. Murray and Boyle work well together but after that there is a SIGNIFICANT drop off. With all the defensemen coming out as FA's this season, they theoretically should be able to correct that problem. The issue is the dreaded salary cap. You have over 28 million locked up in 4 players and they all have NTC. The next two big money guys are Clowe and Pavelski and after that they still need to resign Setoguchi and they have Couture coming up the season after that. The Sharks are either going to have to get someone to waive their NMC (PLEASE let it be Heatley and as a side note, I still, to this day, have NO idea what the Ottawa fans are complaining about. Heatley is worthless) or they are going to have to trade either Pavelski or Clowe. I would be crushed if they went with the later and even if they do, I am not sure they would be able to hold on to both Couture AND Seto. But DW has worked his magic in the past. Lets see what he comes up with this time.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree that Seto is worth keeping, but I don't know how much so. If he can stay with a small contract that would be great. I sometimes see to much similarity between him and Cheechoo. He doesn't get anything done on his own and has to be on a good line to produce.

I'd be shocked if they could trade Heatley, and then my question would be who would you get for him? What would be an idea scenario?
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Icon

Sorry Sharks fans but I had to post up this image from the Sharks Eulogy on Puck Daddy:

Here's a link if you wish to read it.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Padawan

So the Sharks released their injury list today and all I can say is holy cow

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...comment-119750

Sum it up:

Thornton: Seperated shoulder and a busted hand (from the season)
    Clowe: Seperated shoulder to the point that other people had to put his jersey on for him
    Boyle: Strained MCL requiring minor surgery (from in-season)
    Heatley: Broken left hand (from in-season) (might explain his poor play and lack of shots)
    Couture: Broken nose
    Demers: High ankle sprain
    Pavelski: Ankle issues but not specific
    Nicol: Cut to leg requiring 20 stitches

All I can say is wow. To have that many guys with that many significant injuries in the playoffs and still come out like they did. That shows a lot of heart. Say what you will. I was as pissed off and frustrated as anyone because of this post season but holy cow. Seriously. If Luongo does not absolutely stand on his head in game 4 and game 5........
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All