Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: San Jose Sharks

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sharks appear to be close to a deal to get their hands on a RH shooting defensemen. I will update once I hear more.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...g-deal-or-two/
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

Dobber Sports Padawan

Derek Joslin has been sent to Carolina for future considerations

Joslin has some decent offensive upside but unfortunately, he never really realized his potential at all in SJ. He was the heir apparent to Boyle a couple of years ago but has been surpassed on the depth chart by both Braun and Demers.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...onsiderations/
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

It is official, White to SJ for a draft pick.

I realize that this deal is going to help out the Sharks on the back end defensively but it does nothing to address the need for a second true puck moving defensemen. I know that Vlasic was hurt last night so if this move was to replace him in the lineup, then I like it but if this deal is all that Doug Wilson has planned, then the Sharks could be in trouble.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=354423
    Last edited by bballplyr321; February 18, 2011 at 3:59 PM.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sorry I have not been doing a lot of posting lately but I am going to give it a shot here today to come up with something for the game tonight.

First off though, I would like to apologize for kind of going off on the DW acquisition of Ian White. I realize that it has only been 1 game, but holy cow. I think Ian White is EXACTLY what the Sharks needed. He showed an uncanny ability to jump up at just the right time without putting his team in a bad position defensively. I did not get to make it to the actual game but watching it on TV, I saw all three forwards down low cycling the puck and out of no-where I see #9 flash down into the screen. WHOA. What was that? I later discover that that my friends, is how a defensemen is supposed to jump into a play. Drop down to the face off dot while opening up for the pass and if nothing is there circle back to the point. Nicely done sir. The other thing that I noticed that I really liked was that he was not afraid to load up and let loose on a shot from the point. That is going to be something that is really going to serve both himself and this team well as we really have no one on the current roster that can do that. I have noticed over the last 2 years that when the Sharks are getting shots from the point and providing traffic in front of the net, they tend to score in bunches. They also have a tremendous ability to score individually but those point shots open up so much more room for them. And with the addition of a RH shot in White and the promotion of Justin Braun, another kid that is able to get his RH shot through traffic quite well, I think that you can look for an increase in scoring in SJ in the near future. One last thing that I hope this move does is relieve some of the pressure that has been placed upon Dan Boyle. DB is currently among the tops in the league in TOI and you can see he is laboring. He is most effective when he is able to turn it loose and skate anywhere on the ice. But with his lofty TOI numbers, he has had to scale back quite a bit in an effort to conserve energy for defense. The addition of White COULD cut down his ice time a bit but that should increase his productivity. If this happens, I can see an overall surge in scoring for the remainder of the season. So after 1 game, I will say that Ian White has shown me that he is capable of more than I was initially led to believe. My apologies on that.

I will do my best to come back a little later with a preview of the game tonight. For now, I had better get back to work. YIKES!!!
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Novice

hey! if you are a sharks expert, then i need your advice. I have been sitting on this trade all week in a 10 team keeper. I have been offered spezza and p kane for my thornton and heatley. I would like to land Kane to go with my keepers: ovy, perry, kovy, crosby, getzlaf, perry, letang, rhinne, hossa, ward, skiner - as I would have a young, productive squad.

however I feel I may be giving away two studs during a low time. What are your thoughts, do you think they will resume their spots as fantasy monsters or should I trade for the youth?!

thanks for your help!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sorry for the delayed respose mbrown.

A lot of the response is based on the scoring stats in your league. Lets take a look at each of the players involved.

Thornton: This guy is going to get you a TON of assists but his SOG and his goal total are going to be down. He really is not a PIMy guy either. Overall, he has had a decrease in scoring over the last 3 seasons so I definitely feel like his best days are behind him. Additionally, he has not clicked at all in any way shape or form the way that people were hoping that he would click with Heatley. This season and as of late, he has looked pretty good though. Really trying to pick up his game. Still. I think his days of a 100 point player are done.

Heatley: The fans of SJ are right now wondering why in the world this player was so coveted when he became available on the market. He can’t skate, he can’t pass, he cannot control the puck and I am honestly not sure he has ever even said the word defense. The one thing that this guy does is shoot. But like I said above, he really has not clicked with Thornton at all this season. That being said, he is still a top 5 LW in most leagues so the value is still there

Spezza: Let me first say that I am tired of Spezza burning me over and over again. Personally, I will not touch him with a 10 foot pole. That being said, he is still young and that team is going to rebuild. I don’t see him putting up 80 points in the next year or two but year 3 and beyond, he is going to be better than Thornton.

Kane: The real jewel of this deal. A young, up and coming kid who can create for himself, shoots a ton and makes that group tick. I love him in points leagues but in multi-cat leagues, he might not do quite as much for you. Overall, I would definitely take him over Heatley every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Basically, the deal boils down to this. If you feel like Spezza can get you 70 points or more over the next two years, this deal is one that you have to make. If not, I would ask for a slight upgrade on Spezza.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

Looks like Heatley is in trouble

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358265
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bballplyr321 View Post

that bastard better not be suspended next week when my h2h playoffs start... that's all I have to say right now...

Dobber Sports Padawan

8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

So as I am sure that everyone has heard, Heatley was suspended for 2 games. That works out to today, Thursday, vs Minn and Sat vs St Louis. Honestly, I think he got off extremely light and I felt like he deserved a much more severe penalty. The hit was premeditated and deliberately taking a shot at the head. Whether Ott deserves it or not (he does for the record), that is completely uncalled for. The NHL had an opportunity to really make a statement with this and they chose not to do it. You might be wondering why I would say this about a player on my team but this is bigger than me rooting for my team. This comes down to player safety. My stance on the whole situation is this.

Hit a player and that player sustains a head injury you are suspended. Doesn't matter if the hit was a "clean" hit. If a player sustains a head injury, automatically suspended.
    1st Time: 10 regular season games
    2nd time: 20 regular season games
    3rd time: 82 regular season games
    4th time (I'm looking at you Cooke): You are done in the NHL
    I specify regular season games because if it happens in the playoffs, your season is done. If the suspension spans the playoffs, you don't need to play then either.

So what is to keep people from sending someone out to sustain a head injury or faking a head injury? That's simple. You sustain a head injury, you sit out 3 games minimum. Seems reasonable. If someone is knocked on the head, they should probably not be playing right away anyway.

Is this perfect? Nope. Not even close. But it takes a subjective issue and makes it completely objective. The NHL NEEDS to get out ahead (no pun intended) of this issue and so far, they have done a piss poor job. If they make it objective, it is out of their hands and as I am sure many people would agree, the less control that the NHL has over any particular situation, the better. If you have suggestions or modifications to this idea, feel free to throw them out there. I for one am tired of players being injured from something completely avoidable.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Tough to speak out against your team unless you're a true fan of the game itself. Really respect your post Bball. Rep coming your way when I finish with another group from the "Quality of Posts Thread"

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Tough to speak out against your team unless you're a true fan of the game itself. Really respect your post Bball. Rep coming your way when I finish with another group from the "Quality of Posts Thread"
    Thanks Canadian. I honestly feel that you have to be a true fan of the game to be a true fan. I hate the fact that we have lost Savard long before his time or that we have lost a great season of Crosby because of some questionable hits (although it did allow me to acquire him so that was good). Accidents are going to happen. No doubt. But when someone takes a pre-meditated run at a player (Heatley in this situation) or a player is in the NHL for the purposes of being an absolute goon (Cooke), there is just no place in hockey for that. I realize that it is a physical game and in no way am I saying that hard hits and fighting need to go (I loved watching Ott try to do anything to Murray on Tuesday) but something has to be done about the head shots. These guys are human too. And even though they play hockey for a living, they have a life and many of them have families outside the game.

Thanks again Canadian
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

Dobber Sports Padawan

Recap - 3/17 game. Minn at SJ

VERY sloppy. The Sharks were lucky to get out of that game with any points at all let alone the two points for a win. A couple of observations:

Niemi looks dog tired. I know that he been a stud and started over 25 games in a row but he is starting to let in weak goals that have no business going in.

The defense seems to have taken a step back in the last three games. Other teams are seemingly just having their way with us. Any time the Sharks have scored in the last 4 games, the opposing team has always been able to step up and dominate play for the next few minutes.

Paging Joe Thornton. Has anyone seen Joe Thornton? Cause seriously, I have not. He has had spurts this year where he plays like Jumbo but on the whole, he is not playing like the top line center that he is supposed to be. He is usually near the top of the league in turnovers but thats because he is trying to make the brilliant pass through the slot where if it gets through, it is a sure fire goal. This year, it seems like his turnovers are occurring in the neutral zone more often than not. His defensive play has stepped up but not to the point that he should just disappear on the ice. That is not why he is being paid 7.3 MM. For a guy that is supposed to be one of the top players in the league he was not even the best player on his line last night. That was.......

Setoguchi. The guy had an awesome game. Flying all over the place. Hitting people. Getting the puck deep and to the net. Moving his feet. Drawing penalties. I could see when Seto was on the ice. Right after I released my player report on Seto, he cooled off a bit but last night he came back with a vengence. When he is physical and hitting people he is at his best. And it looked like someone lit a fire under his a$$

Boyle gave me quite a scare toward the end of the third. He went down awkwardly and it looked like he stretch his groin. He was hunched over on the ice pounding it with his fist. I about had a heart attack. But as the TV timeout progressed, he was up and skating gingerly over to the bench putting weight on it. He went back to the locker room and within a minute he was back on the bench. I hear that the TV guys were calling him Gumby. Something to keep an eye on because he was loose but once he cools off, it could tighten up and give him problems.

Pavelski has looked awesome the last three games. 7 points over that span. I feel like they are wasting him though on the third line. He lined up with Wellwood and Mitchell which is not horrible but Wellwood and Mitchell are more of an energy line. I guess McLellan does not want to mess with a good thing and the way that Pavs has been playing lately, maybe that does give them a third scoring line.

Speaking of Mitchell, he has looked pretty good out there lately. Really jumping into the play. Dictating how the defense plays him instead of letting the defense dictate how he should be playing. Mitchell is never going to be a superstar in this league but in deeper fantasy leagues, he would be worth a flyer for the next week or so.

Last one, I promise. Clowe was his beastly self last night. It always amazes me as to how well he is able to operate along the boards. At one point in time, he was knocked over along the boards and he was literally laying down with two Wild players around him when the puck came his way. He fought them, while he was in the process of getting up mind you, to gain control of the puck and help restart the cycle down low. Nothing came of the sequence but it is that effort that I feel like a lot of the Sharks are lacking right now (I'm looking at you Thornton and Heatley). And in all honesty, Clowe was the reason that Couture scored. He drove the net hard and rather than doing a fly-by, he pulled up to cause a distraction taking the focus of two players AND Backstrom allowing Coutures goal to sneak in. I know someone is going to get traded in the offseason but I am going to be very disappointed if it is Clowe.

Ok, sorry guys, I brought him up so I do have to talk about him. Backstrom was absolutely ON FIRE last night. I could not believe some of the saves that he was making when he had no business making them. Wow. He should not have lost that game. 2 of the goals that he gave up were off his own player and the GWG was a shot that he stopped and the rebound went in off Burns. Thing is, he ALMOST got the rebound too. Just incredible. To be fair, he ALWAYS plays well against the Sharks.

Well that's all I have for today. No one else really stood out for me. If you have questions about a specific player, let me know
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    25 Man Roster, Keep All