Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: [PG Section] PG Top 100 Roto Exclusive - Leave your Feedback!

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Explain your reasoning. I definitely would say the same thing about GWG and SOG, mainly because GWG are a farse anyway but that's another story entirely. Goals are a fundamental category in any fantasy pool. Show me a fantasy pool where goals aren't a factor somehow and I'll show you a boring ass league.

Hits and PIM are peripheral stats. I like having at least one of them in a rotissery league but there had better be like 10 other categories that aren't dominated by the meatheads if I'm going to use both. The point being that the Boogie Man Derek Boogaard should not be as valuable as a guy like Kaberle, but if the scoring categories are limited to 6, 7 or 8 and you have both PIM and Hits then Boogaard is as valuable. So maybe I should have prefaced my statement better in that regard.
    Just to expand the subject a bit, what would be your ideal roto category settings? I am genuinely interested as roto has become my favourite type of league and I'm thinking of forming my own next season.

Actually, I think having a separate thread could be useful as it should lead to a very good discussion. I'll let PG decide.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just to expand the subject a bit, what would be your ideal roto category settings? I am genuinely interested as roto has become my favourite type of league and I'm thinking of forming my own next season.

Actually, I think having a separate thread could be useful as it should lead to a very good discussion. I'll let PG decide.
    I haven't totally refined it but I like a good 7/3 split skaters and goalies. I know 6/4 is the more traditional balance but I think 7/3 makes for a better split because goalies are so few.

I think ideally Goals, Assists, +/-, PPP, SOG and then two of Hits, FOW, Blocked Shots, PIM. And then you go with Wins, Save% and GAA for goalies.

If you wanted more categories I think adding Saves or Shutouts and then using three of the four mentioned skater categories make sense. You could also lump SHP as an added one.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

[This was written after the whole post: I didn't start writing this as a manifesto for hits as a fundamental category for fantasy... Nor would I like this to be seen as a plea for all pools to have PIM and hits involved. In fact, I'm not really all that big on hits as a category... What does it matter if you hit someone in a hockey game? I hope some discussion follows.]

Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    Explain your reasoning. I definitely would say the same thing about GWG and SOG, mainly because GWG are a farse anyway but that's another story entirely. Goals are a fundamental category in any fantasy pool. Show me a fantasy pool where goals aren't a factor somehow and I'll show you a boring ass league.

Hits and PIM are peripheral stats. I like having at least one of them in a rotissery league but there had better be like 10 other categories that aren't dominated by the meatheads if I'm going to use both. The point being that the Boogie Man Derek Boogaard should not be as valuable as a guy like Kaberle, but if the scoring categories are limited to 6, 7 or 8 and you have both PIM and Hits then Boogaard is as valuable. So maybe I should have prefaced my statement better in that regard.
    Let me preface this by saying I think we're totally in agreement.

I think I get what you're saying - you want there to be a statistical, categorical breakdown of your pool which approximates, if not translates directly, the breakdown of the various elements of real life hockey.* I'd call this a 'realistic' pool, meaning that players will have approximately the same value, in terms of performance, in your pool as in real life. Is this what you meant?

I agree about goals, at least if the above is true** - success in hockey is determined by goals, right? But what about shots? Gotta shoot to score, right? I'd say that shots on goal is a peripheral stat - in the end, everything except goals is. So are you saying that having one or more peripheral stats which are associated with a fundamental category,*** or at least fundamental area or element of the game, is a way of making that part of the game more important, for fantasy as in real life? I agree.

Going back to my earlier question "Couldn't you say the same thing about goals and shots on goal?", my reasoning was this: I'd say there's a similar (or even greater) correlation between shots and goals as between hits and PIM. Certainly you don't have to hit to get a penalty in the way that you have to get a shot on goal to score, but I'd argue that they're both peripheral stats which measure the physical element of hockey. In fact, it's more common for a player with high shots to also have high goals than it is for a player who gets lots of hits to get lots of PIM (Dustin Brown comes to mind). This means that hits is a stat which measures a different aspect of the physical element of the game, at least moreso than shots does of goals; compare goals to assists, or even +/- to blocked shots, if you consider those to be both measuring the defensive element of the game.

To sum up, my point above was that including both shots and goals is having two servings of meat just as much as, perhaps even more so, than including hits and PIM... although maybe it's more like having a hot italian sausage then going for an oktoberfest.

But to come back to those elements of the hockey game - offensive, defensive, physical - I completely agree with you that each part of the game deserves proportional value in your fantasy pool, if you're going for a 'realistic' fantasy experience. What the actual proportions are, and so what constitutes 'realistic', depends on how your commish balances the elements of the game. But shouldn't each fantasy squad have a Derek Boogard to keep the other Derek Boogards honest? Shouldn't that type of player also have value? Or, in a more likely situation for fantasy pools, why shouldn't Ovechkin's hits, which have a role in real hockey, contribute to his 'realistic' fantasy value? If that means adding more offensive scoring categories to make the balance, I'm all for it.

*It needn't be said that fantasy hockey is not real hockey, and that any statistical breakdown of something it is inherently flawed as a representation, for any number of reasons...

**However, if you're not trying to say that goals are important in fantasy because they are important in real life, but rather that they have some value that is intrinsically fundamental to fantasy (rather than real life) hockey, then I'm not really sure how this could be. Boogard and Kaberle essentially score about the same number of goals, in terms of the total number of goals your average fantasy hockey team scores each year... On a side note, it's also possible that if you had a league that only calculated GWG, BS, H, PIM, shootout goals, shoot out saves, goal posts hit, and whatever other crazy categories you wanted to add would be kinda fun as an experiment, rather than boring - although it'd be totally unrelated to real life hockey success/value.

***There is, of course, a counterargument to this: by adding any other stats to the equation, you diminish the value of that individual stat. This seems like a topic for another time, though.
    Icy Dead People

Limited keeper H2H (G A +/- PIM PPP SOG BLK W GAA SV%); 14-teams, 18-man rosters; 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 5D, 1 Util, 2G, 3BN; keep 7

C: Getzlaf, Malkin
    LW: Hall
    RW: St Louis
    D: Subban
    G: Quick, Niemi

Administrator

Excellent post!

By following up on my meat analogy you just spurred an idea for my next article.

My point about goals is that they aren't meat at all. You don't need to eat meat, it's an added bonus. You need goals for a hockey pool. Hockey pools at their most basic and elemental are just points only. That's goals and assists. You don't need anything more than that for a hockey pool but you definitely need those. That's why lumping goals in with SOG and saying it's redundant or overkill is faulty. Yes SOG and goal scoring are highly correlated but one way or another you need goals. You don't need anything else. When you are adding to your meal you could go and add two servings of meat with Hits and PIM or you could go another direction.

I'd elaborate further but I really want to save it for the article. Be on the lookout!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

id love to add to this article but im sitting in a pub on my cell haha. ill definetely be adding my opinion back at the hotel!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Head Chef MD and Sous Chef GMG are hard at work creating a delicious food group cooking rotisserie that will surely induce drooling from the mouth.

Till then, bon appetit!
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Head Chef MD and Sous Chef GMG are hard at work creating a delicious food group cooking rotisserie that will surely induce drooling from the mouth.

Till then, bon appetit!
    Sweet (or savory?)! Looking forward to it.
    Icy Dead People

Limited keeper H2H (G A +/- PIM PPP SOG BLK W GAA SV%); 14-teams, 18-man rosters; 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 5D, 1 Util, 2G, 3BN; keep 7

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Till then, bon appetit!
    After that description I'm going to be dissapointed in the article unless it comes with edible food.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Great stuff in March, PG advisors.

Could you double check Praba's ratings for Paul Stastny? I don't think he's likely to be a tier 3 on PIM (or even goals... but that's arguable, I suppose).

Also, GMG, your answer to Horrorfan's question (included in the mailbag) about Brown vs Eriksson for Roto value seems not to be reflected in your rating of Eriksson (30) over Brown (32)... I don't want to quibble over such minutia, but I think it'd be on topic, especially considering Praba's rather low rating of Eriksson (71)... maybe he deserves a profile in next month's edition?
    Icy Dead People

Quote Originally Posted by spencergough View Post
    Great stuff in March, PG advisors.

Could you double check Praba's ratings for Paul Stastny? I don't think he's likely to be a tier 3 on PIM (or even goals... but that's arguable, I suppose).

Also, GMG, your answer to Horrorfan's question (included in the mailbag) about Brown vs Eriksson for Roto value seems not to be reflected in your rating of Eriksson (30) over Brown (32)... I don't want to quibble over such minutia, but I think it'd be on topic, especially considering Praba's rather low rating of Eriksson (71)... maybe he deserves a profile in next month's edition?
    thanks for the feedback!

Stastny is my gaff.

He's supposed to be Tier / Category :

2G, 3A, 1 +/-, 1 PIM, 2 PPP, 2 SOG (like on my list)

not

3G, 2A, 1 +/-, 3 PIM, 2 PPP, 2 SOG (as seen on praba's side)

-

As for the Eriksson vs. Brown. It is further explained in the follow up question (next edition I'll make it easier to track follow up questions).

In your standard six categories, I like them both the same for different reasons although in HF's case, hits are added to the equation. That alone would differ their values greatly.

If by chance that both the original question & follow up did not answer your feedback, please get back to me and I'll definitely make sure to include additional thoughts.
    Last edited by GMGates; March 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Ditto for Praba's D. Sedin (tier 3 in PIM).

Also, I hadn't noticed this before:
    I think it's worth pointing out in the legend that plus/minus has 4 tiers, where white probably counts for 0 out of a possible 3 (cf. Tavares, Hall, Okposo, Kessel). Having had Kessel, Hall and Okposo all on my team this year destroyed my collective plus/minus; it's worth noting in this category, unlike the others, players can actually hurt your collective stats.
    Icy Dead People

Dobber Sports Sophomore

thanks for the feedback!

As for the Eriksson vs. Brown. It is further explained in the follow up question (next edition I'll make it easier to track follow up questions).

In your standard six categories, I like them both the same for different reasons although in HF's case, hits are added to the equation. That alone would differ their values greatly.

If by chance that both the original question & follow up did not answer your feedback, please get back to me and I'll definitely make sure to include additional thoughts.
    Right, hits. Yes, that totally makes sense. Thanks!

I love that you (pl.) have given us two independent evaluations on these guys. To any poolie taking these into account, I'd recommend paying attention to those players whose rankings differ greatly between the two sides - guys like Eriksson (GMG: 30, Praba: 71) or Okposo (Praba: 48, GMG: 81) or Burrows (GMG:16, Praba:36) - as players whose trade value could be in flux depending on your prospective trade partner. How high you rate a guy is not necessarily relative to how your opponents might.
    Icy Dead People

Ditto for Praba's D. Sedin (tier 3 in PIM).

Also, I hadn't noticed this before:
    I think it's worth pointing out in the legend that plus/minus has 4 tiers, where white probably counts for 0 out of a possible 3 (cf. Tavares, Hall, Okposo, Kessel). Having had Kessel, Hall and Okposo all on my team this year destroyed my collective plus/minus; it's worth noting in this category, unlike the others, players can actually hurt your collective stats.
    Im very happy you noticed the clear white of 0 - you're right it should be mentioned.

Same with D. Sedin. I'll make the changes and see that it is uploaded.
    Gates Imbeau

Right, hits. Yes, that totally makes sense. Thanks!

I love that you (pl.) have given us two independent evaluations on these guys. To any poolie taking these into account, I'd recommend paying attention to those players whose rankings differ greatly between the two sides - guys like Eriksson (GMG: 30, Praba: 71) or Okposo (Praba: 48, GMG: 81) or Burrows (GMG:16, Praba:36) - as players whose trade value could be in flux depending on your prospective trade partner. How high you rate a guy is not necessarily relative to how your opponents might.
    And I love that you really take time to read through and understand our roto guide.

Noticing the different values and "Tier Zero" of the guide is awesome.

So keep picking our brains - the best part of doing this is the Q&A.
    Gates Imbeau

Dobber Sports Grand Master

One thing that would be nice (not sure if you're planning on doing this or not, I kind of just skimmed) is to note prior rankings on the list.

Ex: 5) Daniel Sedin LM: 7