Thread: [January 31st] OHL Weekly Ramblings

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [January 31st] OHL Weekly Ramblings

- The NHL record for shots per one period is 33. The Majors fired 36 shots on the Sarnia Sting in the 1st period of Sunday's game. Mississauga defeated Sarnia 7-1 and clinched an OHL playoff spot.

- Guelph Storm's Richard Panik (Tampa Bay Prospect) scores a beautiful goal vs. Sarnia on Friday night. Must see.

- Check out the OHL's Top 5 Goals of the Week here led by Windsor Spitfire Zack Kassian (Buffalo Sabres' Prospect)

- Among the 54 NHL players selected to play in the NHL All Star Game this weekend, an impressive 28 are former members of the Canadian Hockey League. More specifically, 14 players from both Team Staal and Team Lidstrom played junior hockey in the Ontario Hockey League, including the likes of Steven Stamkos, Patrick Kane, Eric Staal, and Jeff Skinner to name a few (courtesy of Gregg Thomson @ insidehockey.com)

- OHL Graduate and former Kitchener Ranger Jeff Skinner was the youngest player in NHL History to play in an All-Star Game. Skinner recorded an assist and had huge support from the home-town crowd on several good scoring opportunities. Jeff Skinner has quickly become the most popular Hurricanes' player. Skinner's jersey has been outselling both Cam Ward and captain Eric Staal's jerseys combined. Impressive!

- Former OHLer Cody Hodgson (Brampton Battalion) will make his NHL debut after being recalled by the Vancouver Canucks today.

- HOTTEST OHL PLAYER? How about Spitfires' Ryan Ellis? The Nashville Predators' prospect has 42 points in his last 18 games as a defenseman! Ellis recorded one goal and 5 assists in Windsor's 7-1 trouncing of the Kitchener Rangers on friday night. Unbelieveable!

- Ellis' teammate Alexander Khokhlachev had an impressive four goals (video). Khokhlachev will be flying up the scouts' rankings with his impressive play. He currently sits 2nd with 28 goals and 31 assists in rookie scoring behind Yakupov (35G, 35A).

The Red Line Report has Khokhlachev at No. 9 in the world while International Scouting Service has him at No. 15 and North American Central Scouting has him at No. 16. Alexander has stated several times that his intent is to play in the NHL which bodes well for him at the upcoming NHL draft.

- Niagara Forward Ryan Strome had an 8 point week (2G, 6A) which moved him into 2nd in the OHL scoring race.

Leading Forward Scorers (as of Jan 31st)
    1. Tyler Toffoli (Ottawa) - 43G - 40A - 83P (LAK)
    2. Ryan Strome (Niagara) - 25G - 53A - 78P (2011 Draft Eligible)
    3. Jason Akeson (Kitchener) - 17G - 60A - 77P (undrafted)
    4. Shane Prince (Ottawa) - 21G - 55A - 76P (2011 Draft Eligible)
    5. Nail Yakupov* (Sarnia) - 35G - 35A - 70P (2012 Draft Eligible)
    *denotes Rookie

Leading Defensemen Scorers (as of Jan 31st)
    1. Ryan Murphy (Kitchener) - 18G - 42A - 60P (2011 Draft Eligible)
    2. Ryan Ellis (Windsor) - 16G - 44A - 60P (NSH)
    3. Dougie Hamilton (Niagara) - 9G - 35A - 44P (2011 Draft Eligible
    4. Jesse Blacker (Owen Sound) - 10G - 33A - 43P (TOR)
    5. Josh McFadden (Sudbury) - 10G - 32A - 42P (2011 Draft Eligible)

- Check out Sportsnet's latest edition of "Who's hot, who's not?" by Patrick King.
    Hottest Team - Mississauga St. Michael's Majors (commanding 8 point league league over Saginaw)
    Coldest Team - Brampton Battalion (2 wins in past 10)
    Canadian NHL teams’ OHL prospects:

Jarred Tinordi, Montreal (London) – drafted 22nd overall in 2010

The points are starting to come for the hulking defenceman.
    Tinordi picked up an assist in two of three games last week with the Knights to give him seven on the season. Unfortunately, he was a minus-1 on the week. Tinordi is still searching for his first career OHL goal.

Greg McKegg, Toronto (Erie) – drafted 62nd overall in 2010

McKegg made an impression playing against his hometown team with three goals in a 6-4 win at London. He scored the winner and insurance markers in that game, but was held pointless and a minus-5 in the next two games against Owen Sound.

Alex Friesen, Vancouver (Niagara) – drafted 172nd overall in 2010

Friesen picked up a goal and one assist with a minus-1 rating in three games last week. He helped lead his team to five of a possible six points. The IceDogs have the second best record in the Eastern Conference.
    More rambling updates as they come in. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; January 31, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Came across this fantastic article on one of my favourite 2011 NHL Draft eligible players - Saginaw's Brandon Saad.

I have watched Saad play several times this season and I am blown away at how well he can control the game. I was extremely disappointed that the USA team made him one of the final cuts at the past WJC but he still has a lot of time to show us his stuff.

If Saad is selected any later than 15th in the upcoming draft then I believe the team will be getting a huge steal. In my opinion, Brandon Saad is a top 10 talent in this years' draft class and is one of a few players who are NHL ready (or very close to it).

http://truehockey.com/articles/Featu...s-Brandon-Saad

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

A closer, more personal look at Leaf prospect and Erie's Captain Gregg McKegg.

Great Pick by the Leafs

http://atvsports.wordpress.com/2011/...-real-captain/

Dobber Sports Stud

Dean what would you say Yakupovs potential in the NHL is? I know he still has a few years to develop but still this guys scoring in the OHL at his age is ridiculous(from what little i know about the OHL)
    I know size is a factor but do you see him being maybe a St Louis type of player? 80-90 points unless he gets paired with a Stamkos type player then he can get 100?
    or should we temper our expectations?
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Cody Lindsay of the Ottawa Generals has been named the OHL Player of the Week.

The London native recorded two hat tricks in his two games and finished at plus-6 on the week. Cody is currently clipping along at a point-per-game pace (46 points in 46 games) this season as an overager for the 67s.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wfactor View Post
    Dean what would you say Yakupovs potential in the NHL is? I know he still has a few years to develop but still this guys scoring in the OHL at his age is ridiculous(from what little i know about the OHL)
    I know size is a factor but do you see him being maybe a St Louis type of player? 80-90 points unless he gets paired with a Stamkos type player then he can get 100?
    or should we temper our expectations?
    Yakupov is listed at 5'10" and bills but he plays a much larger game than his size which could be good or bad (putting him into vulnerable situations).

Yakupov is the most dynamic player I have seen at the OHL level in a very long time but at this time it's very difficult to gauge his potential. If I were to guess, I would be comfortable listing 100 points as his ultimate upside. Yakupov could definitely fall into the 80-90 point player (as you suggested) and I would be more comfortable doing so. He is dominating in his rookie season and even when his team is getting BLOWN OUT (especially recently) he is finding a way to get onto the score sheet.

Yakupov is NOT a player that will rely on his linemates for production. He is definitely the catalyst for offense whenever he is on the ice. To answer your question, Yakupov will not need a player like St.Louis to reach 80 points but of course it wouldn't hurt. The more I watch him, Yakupov's game is very similar to Kovalchuk (obviously he lacks Kovy's size). He loves skating the puck end to end but I would also say that he is more likely to pass the puck than Kovalchuk is when he arrives in the opposing zone. He is a shoot-first type of player but has very good playmaking abilities as well.

I have also been very impressed with his +/- rating in these recent blowouts. Surprisingly, Yakupov is usually one of the leaders on his team in these games. I have a tonne of confidence saying that Yakupov will be the Top pick in next years (2012) NHL Draft.

As you probably know, Yakupov is my favourite prospect to follow right now in the OHL so I will be posting any information/thoughts on his play whenever possible. Check back for more.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; February 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

thanks dean appreciate it man
    ya ever since I first saw a post by you talking about him, ive been kinda looking in to him, I'm hoping to maybe catch a Colts game against the Sting to watch him play first hand
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

thanks dean appreciate it man
    ya ever since I first saw a post by you talking about him, ive been kinda looking in to him, I'm hoping to maybe catch a Colts game against the Sting to watch him play first hand

I would definitely recommend it. Yakupov is definitely worth the price of admission but the Sting always seem to be involved in high scoring games (probably due to their spotty defense).

Yakupov is just one of a few Sting players worth watching. Brett Ritchie (currently sidelined with mono) is a large power forward projected to go in this years 2011 NHL Draft. Alex Galchenyuk (1st overall in last year's OHL draft) is a smart talented russian-american as well.

Let me know what you think of them if you do catch a game.

Cheers

Dobber Sports Stud

oh and another thing Dean
    do you pay attention to any Kingston games?
    to be more specific Nathan Moon, and Taylor Doherty
    both up near the top of scoring on the team
    how have both of them looked this season?
    and will Moon ever be a NHLer?
    Starting Roster:
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

oh and another thing Dean
    do you pay attention to any Kingston games?
    to be more specific Nathan Moon, and Taylor Doherty
    both up near the top of scoring on the team
    how have both of them looked this season?
    and will Moon ever be a NHLer?
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to catch many of the Eastern Conference games so anything I read on those teams are through online video and articles. I have noticed Doherty flying up the league leaders though and it's not hard to miss the 6-foot 8-inch forward! WOW! I will be sure to keep an eye open for some information on both of them.
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; February 1, 2011 at 7:29 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to catch many of the Eastern Conference games so anything I read on those teams are through online video and articles. I have noticed Doherty flying up the league leaders though and it's not hard to miss the 6-foot 8-inch forward! WOW! I will be sure to keep an eye open for some information on both of them.
    alright man thanks alot
    Starting Roster:
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default OHL Plays of the Week

Some awesome goals in the OHL's latest edition of the MAZDA OHL Plays of the Week

Check out the video above

Other News....
    NAIL YAKUPOV
    from @StingHockey
    Nail Yakupov has been announced as the Kal Tire OHL Rookie of the Month for January! First multiple winner in the league this season!
    Yakupov had 19 points in 12 January games.

More information coming....

D'AMIGO Loaned to Kitchener
    The Toronto Maple Leafs have loaned Jerry D'Amigo to the OHL Kitchener Rangers. D’Amigo, 19, has played in 41 games for the American Hockey League’s Toronto Marlies this season. He has collected 14 points on five goals and nine assists, along with 23 penalty minutes
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; February 3, 2011 at 5:16 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default OHL Top Performers for January

Niagara's Ryan Strome (Forward), Sarnia's Nail Yakupov (Rookie), Windsor's Ryan Ellis (Defenseman) and Mississauga's JP Anderson (Goaltender) are your OHL Top Performers for January.

More details on the OHL Website
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; February 3, 2011 at 9:13 PM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

As it's getting close to playoff time, that's a huge get for the Rangers.

Man imagine if both Skinner and Morin were back as well? That team would be absolute deadly.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
    As it's getting close to playoff time, that's a huge get for the Rangers.

Man imagine if both Skinner and Morin were back as well? That team would be absolute deadly.
    Plus the Rangers are getting their captain Landeskog back from injury too - HUGE BOOST.