Thread: [Game Recap] Sarnia Sting @ Guelph Storm 1/28/2010

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default [Game Recap] Sarnia Sting @ Guelph Storm 1/28/2010

Sting @ Storm Recap

Sarnia - 2
    Guelph - 6

The Sting really needed to win last nights game to have any hope at the playoffs. Guelph currently sits in the final playoff spot in the West and defeating the 9th place Sarnia Sting last night, Guelph extended their point lead on them to 7 points. Sarnia has now last six of their past 7 games. Sarnia came into last night's game after losing to Saginaw on Thursday night so they must have been tired - they looked that way. The Sting are currently missing 2011 NHL Draft Eligible forward Brett Ritchie (Ranked 57th by CSS) due to mono.

I was extremely disappointed at the Sting's performance tonight. Last night's game was probably the worst I have seen Sarnia play all season and since it was televised on Sportsnet - it is extremely disappointing. Each time that the Sting started to gain momentum they took an undisciplined penalty.

Guelph dominated this game from start to finish. I was quite impressed with several players on Guelph. Storm captain Michael Latta was all over the ice each and every shift. He is a OHL veteran so the team really relies on him. Richard Panik (Tampa Bay) was extremely fun to watch and Taylor Beck (Nashville Predator Prospect) was the best player on the ice as he recorded back-to-back goals and added an assist too. He looks like he is going to be a great player (strong, good skater and has a nice accurate shot)

Richard Panik scored one of the nicest goals I have ever seen in OHL action. I will post a video link once I come across it. Anaheim prospect Peter Holland recorded a goal and an assists as well.

Not much else to say about the game. The only thing that the Sarnia came out on top of was Sarnia's Craig Hottot's fight versus the Storm's Connor Tresham. To put it nicely, Hottot destroyed Tresham. Check out the video.

I was watching the game on my flatscreen as I followed the ASG Draft on my computer. Needless to say, I was left watching the ASG Draft more than the CHL Game.

Yakupov recorded an assist on 2010 1st Overall OHL draft pick Alex Galchenyuk (also 2012 NHL Draft Eligible). The goal was nice but other than that I found Yakupov trying to do too much. As a Sarnia Sting fan, the team definitely needs to address their spotty defense. There isn't much to work with on the backend past Penguins prospect Joe Rogalski and Nathan Chiarlitti.

NOTES: Sarnia's Nail Yakupov currently has 35 goals after scoring 2 in Thursday's loss to the Saginaw Spirit. Yakupov's 35 goals puts him only 7 shy of the team Rookie record held by Steven Stamkos with 42 goals.

Nail Yakupov is on pace to score 62 goals. Twenty more than Stamkos as a rookie (in a new country). IMPRESSIVE!
    Last edited by Dean Youngblood; January 29, 2011 at 12:07 PM.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I work for the Storm and found last night's game very entertaining. I found a link to the goal scored by Panik.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KkNTsYFP6g

It was definate highlight reel material and had the Sleeman Center going crazy.

Man if the Guelph Storm could put fourth a consistent effort game after game they would be hard to stop. they have legit 19 year old talent in Holland, Latta, Beck, Panik. They also have Erlich and Carroll (who has been strong lately). A decent defence and a goalie who runs hot and cold.

I still know I wouldn't really wanna play this team come playoff time.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks for posting the link. I just came on to post it.

Panik's goal has the potential to be the highlight goal of the year in the OHL

Guelph has some serious veteran talent. I was just disappointed Sarnia didn't show up to play