Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leafs - Believe it or not it could be worse...

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Leafs - Believe it or not it could be worse...

Dobber wrote:
    I only watch the Leafs when I\'m with my dad or with a buddy - then I really don\'t have a choice. It\'s frustrating because they strive for immediate mediocrity rather than immediate suffering for future success. Until that changes, I probably will continue to be hard on them.

B)
    We had this discussion awhile ago and you have to go through the rough times (usually e.g. Detroit) to get the high picks to get the blue chippers that will make you a high end team and a Cup contender.
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Stud

You guys are spot on about the stupid points system hiding the true facts about a team.

When the strike ended, I saw scoring up, lots of action, and there was more parity because there was a lot of up and down games as teams were adjusting to the different rules and styles of play.

Now, however, teams have brought back modified traps, scoring is down, and the point systems only TRULY shows that there is in fact parity; parity in how mediocre hockey is and how pathetic most teams are.

It truly is a parity of boring hockey and low skill games. Do you remember the old hockey of back and forth rushes?

Other then watching the World Juniors, I haven\'t seen that in forever.

In fairness, parity of bad records doesn\'t mean the games are bad. I find Philly games and Carolina games entertaining most of the time.

In this case, hockey is pretending that they are in good shape as revenue goes up but the product on the ice is not much better than they left it pre-lockout.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Initiate

B)[/quote]

We had this discussion awhile ago and you have to go through the rough times (usually e.g. Detroit) to get the high picks to get the blue chippers that will make you a high end team and a Cup contender.[/quote]

not to worry- they\'ll just trade the picks away for a 30ish washed up player with 1 or 2 years left in him
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Dobber Sports Initiate

Sin Bin wrote:
    [quote]narduch wrote:
    This is explained entirely by population demographics. No matter how much the Leafs suck, there are simply so many people in the GTA that the ratings will be higher than any other Canadian teams, no matter what.

This will continue until \"Leaf Nation\" decides they are fed up with the crap teams and demand change the only way MLSE will understand - quit buying tickets
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Dobber Sports Stud

Tickets aren\'t really \"bought\" in the normal way.

That is why the real fans can\'t see the Leafs.

Tickets belong to corporations and long-time season holders that pass it down in the family.

Neither of those two groups are willing to give up those tickets, hence, fans cannot show their displeasure with the team.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Ace

Dobber wrote:
    Shao wrote:
    They\'ll kick it up near the end when it doesn\'t matter or when Toskala and McCrap comes back.
    Yep, whatever they can do to get as poor a draft pick as they can without making the playoffs...even though they traded their pick away, the standings still count for where they pick in the other rounds.
    When did they trade their 1st round 2008 pick away?
    Weekly H2H
    G / A / P / +- / PowerPlayPoints / Shots / Goalie Wins / GAA / Save%

Dobber Sports Prodigy

duducks wrote:
    Dobber wrote:
    Shao wrote:
    They\'ll kick it up near the end when it doesn\'t matter or when Toskala and McCrap comes back.
    Yep, whatever they can do to get as poor a draft pick as they can without making the playoffs...even though they traded their pick away, the standings still count for where they pick in the other rounds.
    When did they trade their 1st round 2008 pick away?
    While not necessarily a reputable source, the depth of the information seems to make it correct. I googled and pulled it from a maple leafs forum.

The Leafs, do have a 2008 first round pick. They do not have a second round pick.

In the trade for Toskala they gave a conditional first round pick for 2007 or 08 or 09. The Sharks took the pick last year and selected Couture. They thus do not have the Leafs pick this year.

As well, the 2008 one had a top 10 protection. So even if the Sharks did not use last year the Leafs could have kept the pick this year as it would be a top 10 pick.

I was actually curious to this. I\'ve been telling Leafs fans that they should start cheering for the teams the Leafs are playing. I wanted to make sure my advice was sound.
    12 team H2H keeper
    12F, 6D, 2G, 5 bench (protect 8,9, 10, or 11, only 1 G)

F&D: G (2x), A, PPP, PIM, Hit, Blk, +/-
    G: W, GAA, SV%, GAA

F: Aho, Connor, MacKinnon, Robertson, Boldy, Cozens, Thomas, Eriksson Ek, Pacioretty, Schwartz, Strome, Wilson, Foligno, Novak,

D: Ekblad, Montour, Edvinsson, Krug, Xhekaj, Hronek, Gudas,

G: Jarry, Markstrom, Gustavsson, Korpisalo

I...am your father.

Yes, sorry everyone, I thought I corrected myself everywhere on this site but apparently didn\'t correct myself in this thread! The Leafs do have their pick, the 08 pick was conditional and it turns out that the Leafs do own it.
    Believe it or not but that makes things 100 times more promising for this team. They have something to build around if they get Stamkos
    B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

the Leafs are on the rise! Ninth place, watch out!
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Veteran

Don\'t even say that angus. Leaf fans are gonna turn that around saying they are the best team in the nhl because they beat the best team in the nhl
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Leafs coming ninth would be the best thing for everyone. No playoffs, bad draft pick. Sums up their past three seasons.

I...am your father.

Yep, that\'s how they do things every year - 17th. And each year they do it thanks to an 8-2-0 surge at the end.

B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Newbie

That\'s true that we can probably expect an 8-2-0 surge at the end of the season. If only they went 9-1-0 last year - I still remember that Devils shootout loss Sun Apr 8th as if it were yesterday...:unsure:

All things considered though, even IF the Leafs made the playoffs as 8th seed in the East, how many times in recent memory has an 8th seed won the cup anyway?
    8 team keeper league (all keepers) 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2Skt, 1Enf, 1G, 4Res, 8Minors
    Straight points-based: 3G(Def+1), 2A(Def+1), -0.3PIM, -0.3Giv, 0.3BLK, 0.3Hit, 1GWG, 0.3ShG

Dobber Sports Ninja

Never. I \'think\' the Oilers were the first 8th seed to go to the Finals.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Canucks were the 8th seed in 1994.

edit: 7th. My mistake.