Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Atlanta Thrashers

Dobber Sports Star

Hey ASP
    Thanks for the continued coverage. You are pretty much solely responsible for me grabbing Wheeler and the kid for sure looks like a keeper in fantasy! Hoping for 50-60 pts next year, break out style!

I am contemplating going after Byfuglien, but I really need to know if there is a chance that he moves up to fwd. As a D, he is fantasy elite, as a fwd, his is merely a waiver player in my league.

Think he will only play D? I have read a couple of posts that he is shitty defensively and the "experiment" may not be a lasting one.

Interested in your take
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Stud

I think he stays on D. I can't see him being moved up, he's played well as an offensive defensemen. It's certainly not an experiment anymore, and the reason it might seem like "shitty" defense, is because he's a free roamer and sometimes doesn't make it back. When in position, he makes excellent defensive plays. The Thrashers defense as a WHOLE is horrific, and that is because they have no system for it. Craig Ramsay needs to be blamed for that, not the players.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers 5, Senators 4

Just going to give you a quick fantasy run down from the game on Sunday. It was a good game played by the Thrashers as they heavily outshoot their opponent again, but the poor defensive style almost cost them. This no system defense needs to be fixed, I'm very surprised that a Ramsay coached team doesn't have a designed defense.

Blake Wheeler- He had a goal and an assist, and played another solid game. 13 points now in 16 games. His hard work and great play is paying off.

Andrew Ladd- 1 assist in this game which puts him at 55 points. A strong finish could get him to 60.

Bryan Little- Little is starting to tear it up recently, now has a quiet 44 points, already surpassing his total of 34 points from last season in 10 less games. He is certainly someone you want to keep an eye on for next season and beyond, as he already proven to be a 30 goal scorer in his career. He's been overlooked since his let down season last year, but he has potential to bounce right back. Little has had a good season.

Ben Maxwell- Maxwell had a goal and an assist, and has been playing very well for the Thrashers. I'm starting to like this acqusition more and more! I can see him finding a home here. I doubt he ever becomes fantasy relevent, but that can't take away him being a good NHLer.

The Thrashers are in action in Montreal tonight, and have only 7 games remaining on the season. Players like Ladd have 7 games to reach milestones. Everyone is looking to finish off strong, on a positive note, for next season.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 29, 2011 at 6:59 AM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Les Habitants 3, Thrashers 1

Truthfully, there isn't much to report here. The Thrashers just did not play well, and only had offense in spurts. Carey Price played really well and made some phenominal saves, but the Thrashers didn't control zone time. I guess you could also say the Thrashers caught the Habs at the wrong time. They were due, probably over due for some goal scoring.

Nik Antropov scored the Thrashers lone goal, his 14th goal of the season. Speaking of... Its been a disappointing season for big Nik, and a big drop off in stats as he scored 24 goals last year, and had 67 points. You could see that he's just not playing well when you watch him this season. He looks slower than usual, and he turns the puck over a lot. He did come off surgery in the offseason, but I don't think it takes that long to fully heal. Hopefully he rests up in the offseason and catches fire again in 2011-12.

The Thrashers have six games remaining on the season, and return to action tomorrow night in Philadelphia. Keep up to date as Thrashers players go for new career milestones! Can Ladd reach 30 goals? Can he reach 60 points?
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers are in Philly tonight for a 7pm puck drop. Out of all the opponents the Thrashers face, I think I like it when the Thrashers beat the Flyers the most. This season, the Thrashers are 2-1 against them, and last season they swept them. This years series will either end in a split or a victory for ATL. Being that I live in Philly, I also like that I have the bragging rights over most of my friends that are Flyers fans

If the season finished today, the Thrashers would have the 7th overall pick. There are still some games left and the Devils trail the Thrashers by a point, so it is possible for them to get a higher pick. Actually, I'm hoping for the highest pick possible, but I can't root for them to lose. The Thrashers have a great core coming along lead by Byfuglien, Enstrom, and Bogosian on defense, and Kane, Wheeler, Ladd, Little, and Burmistrov on offense. Another top prospect would just add to the young core. Things are looking really well for the future. Rick Dudley is building a solid foundation in Atlanta.

From my early prospect studies, I'm hoping the Thrashers can land either Couturier, Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Larsson, or Murphy. It's looking good that they may actually land one, however, probably in reality, someone like Landeskog or Murphy could fall. I doubt Couturier, Larsson, or RNH falls that far. Add one of those five players to the current core and things are looking well. Don't forget to factor in the other up and coming prospects this team has like Carl Klingberg who just recently made his debut for the Chicago Wolves in the AHL, and Patrice Cormier who's already had some NHL time this season before an injury.

So with six games left in this season, and essentially eliminated from playoff contention, what are the Thrashers playing for? A lot of things. Some players are playing for contracts like Ben Maxwell, and Rob Schremp. Some young players are playing to gain more NHL experience that will help them for the future. Every game counts and the experience is needed. I think everyone is playing to become more familair with each other for the future, no one is going to just give up. And a lot of players are going for individual milestones like Andrew Ladd, and Evander Kane. With six games left, there are a lot of things to watch for no matter what team you cheer for, and no matter where they are in the standings. The same is said with the Thrashers. I look forward to the final six games starting in Philly tonight.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; March 31, 2011 at 5:24 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers 1, Flyers 0

What a turn around for the Thrashers when facing the Flyers. After losing something like 14 games in a row to them, the Thrashers are now 7-1 against them in the past two seasons. The Thrashers won tonights game and only had to score one goal to do so. Chris Mason was easily the number one star of the game, as he made 43 saves including some big time saves. Although the Thrashers only had 22 shots on goal, they had a handful or more really good scoring chances in which Bobrovsky made some great saves as well. The lone goal was scored by Nik Antropov in front of the net off a pass from Evander Kane. Both teams went 0 for 6 on the powerplay.

The most notable forward of the game was Evander Kane. It seems like he is all over the ice everytime he faces the Flyers. He must love playing against them. Actually it might not be a coincidence that since he's entered the league it happened to be the same time the Thrashers started the turn around against the Flyers. He was ALL over the ice, drawing penalties, taking penalties, laying hits, creating chances...

Nik Antropov has looked somewhat better down the stretch, it could be a good sign for next season.

Chris Mason has been playing really well in net down the stretch as well. I expected him to do this all season long.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Bruins 3, Thrashers 2

Nothing much to recap so I'll just go ahead and give some updates.

Dustin Byfuglien- Finally got his 20th goal of the season. I'm sure he will replicate that next season, and seasons beyond.

Evander Kane- Kane scored his 19th goal of the season and needs one more for his first 20 goal season. He's doing this at the age of 19. Can't wait to see what he does when he matures further in the NHL. Going to be a keeper for years!

Nik Antropov- If you keep up with the Thrashers then you would know he's having a bad season, and if you keep up with my Dobbers updates, then you would know he's been playing really well down the stretch. This has to be a good sign for next season... right? Hoping for a big rebound season from Big Nik in 2011-12!

Bryan Little- Someone else that you can't afford to forget about is Bryan Little. Many people may forget about his 31 goal season in his 2nd year because he followed it up with a disappointing season last year. However, this season he's been MUCH better than last season in terms of producing and getting chances. Truthfully, he wasn't even really bad last season in terms of being a hockey player. When I say bad, I mean not producing offensively which he failed to do last year, but that doesn't make him a bad hockey player. He hustles and makes NHL plays every single night, but its been hard for him to get points consistently. Its been hard for him to be a fantasy play like he was two seasons ago. But you can't forget, he's only 23 years of age and has a full career in the NHL ahead of him. I do believe he will develop into a consistent fantasy player. He's already a solid NHL player.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; April 3, 2011 at 6:06 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Give me everything you can on Akim Aliu
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Give me everything you can on Akim Aliu
    A former highly touted draft pick, drafted in the 2nd round by the Blackhawks. Someone that is supposed to be a strong power forward type player, but can't seem to get his game down. I personally don't ever see him making the NHL, I think he's fallen off, much like Angelo Esposito. Back in January, he was sent down to the ECHL from the AHL. In 43 games with the Chicago Wolves, he only had 4 goals and 9 points, which is awful for someone who's supposed to be a highly touted prospect.

I'm not sure how it works in the AHL, but he was since reassigned from the Gwinnet Gladiators (ECHL) to the Peoria Riverman of the AHL. He had 4 goals and 8 points in 14 games with Peoria.

I'm not so sure why he's struggling to produce at ANY level. I stopped following him once I heard he was sent down to the ECHL. Being sent down to that level is an all time low and is absolutely uncalled for, for someone who was highly touted like him. That alone tells me he'll never make the NHL... the kid can't even make the AHL.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Superstar

I wouldn't quite completely write him off yet. Generally ECHL demotions aren't great signs, but there have been several EHCL players, especially those of Aliu's ilk, that have made succesful NHL careers for themselves. Fantasy relevant may be another thing, but current and former Thrashers such as Boulton, Peverley, Hnidy, and CStuart all spend time in the ECHL.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

As a former Sudbury Wolves player, he'll always have a place in my heart. I tried following him as much as I could (much like the Staal's, Foligno's and McFarland) - but looking at his stats and the demotions, I see where your coming from ASF.

Although, I too still have some faith and won't write him off just yet, for the reasons letnry gave, but the flame is fading out... and quickly. (I don't have patience for prospects, haha)

Thanks for the response!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Stud

It's hard for me to not write him off. I mean I hope the kid shows some signs of life, it would benefit the Thrashers, but that looks to be a long shot. Doesn't he have attitude problems as well? I read he got into a bar fight last year.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Thrashers final game of the season this afternoon.

Obviously, other than some players trying to reach milestones, the biggest news here is that Thrashers TOP PROSPECT Carl Klingberg will make his NHL debut! This is great!
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

And with that, the Thrashers' season comes to an end

A season that started out with so much promise ends with disappointment. The Thrashers end their season with a loss against the Penguins, and leave their fans looking forward to the draft yet again. We might look back at the 2010-11 season and remember it as the season where the young stars progressed, and fans united to show their support. The season when captain Ladd emerged into a leader, and an offensive threat. When Dustin Byfuglien became a top defensemen and the face of a franchise. But one thing fans will never forget is the agony that the Atlanta Spirit owners put us fans and our teams through, not only this season, but since the very first day that they were given the team. The fans, us fans, will never forget the horrible ownership that these morons provide. The Thrashers future may remain a mystery further down the road, but for now, I have no doubt that there will be hockey played in Atlanta in October 2011. However, We can only hope that someone steps in and saves the Atlanta Thrashers from these pathetic owners.

The Thrashers will be drafting 6th overall in the upcoming 2011 NHL draft barring any type of miracle in the lottery tomorrow night. I will continue to post my thoughts throughout the offseason on the draft and other matters involving the Thrashers.

Analyzing The GOOD and The BAD

A lot of players reached some new career highs. Here are some that stick out.

Andrew Ladd
    Ladd had a phenominal season in his first year as captain with Atlanta. He finished the season, unfortunately, a goal shy of 30, and a point shy of 60. It was by far his best offensive season of his career, and the former 4th overall pick is starting to live up to those expectations. Ladd in a RFA, but the Thrashers are most likely going to lock him up long term. He's still a really young player at 25, and I expect him to keep on being a producer and performer.

Dustin Byfuglien
    Everyone that doubts him, he continually proves wrong. He did it by winning a Cup, and more recently did it by shutting up the likes of Jeremy Roenick by proving he can play defense, and can produce as an offensive defensemen. Byfuglien lead all defensemen in goals with 20, and was second in the ENTIRE LEAGUE in shots on goal with 347, trailing Alexander Ovechkin by 20. Big Buff is without a doubt a key piece in the Thrashers building blocks.

Tobias Enstrom
    I don't think I need to introduce him... or do I? Is he still one of the most underrated players in the NHL? I'll leave that up to you to decide. It was another top notch season from one of the best two way defensemen in the NHL. It was also an unfortunate season in terms of injury. Enstrom had never missed a game in his NHL career up until this year where he missed 10. Enstrom still topped his career high in goals with 10, and points with 51. At only 26 years of age, he'll be around for quite a while longer producing at the same rate. Not a game goes by where I fail to notice how valuable he is to the Thrashers.

Bryan Little
    Little definitely bounced back from his slump year in 2009-10, and finished this season with 48 points, and a +11 which lead the Thrashers. It actually surprised me at first when I looked at his stats a couple of weeks back, I didn't think he'd finish close to 50. Everyone knows how valuable Little is as an NHLer, but fantasy owners quesiton if he will ever reach 30 goal status again, or maybe even 50 point status. Well, I honestly don't know why people would question that at such an early stage in his career. The kid is only 23 years old and just finished his 4th season in the NHL (3 if you don't count the half season his rookie year). I tell you one thing, I'm not worried at all. The kid will get back to at least 25 goal status.

Evander Kane
    Kane shows so much promise that it's hard not to think he's going to be a star, and the Thrashers best player for many years. At the age of 19, he's completed two seasons in the NHL. This season, he missed 9 games but still finished the season with 19 goals, and 43 points, surpassing his totals from his rookie season. If Kane lives up to expectations, watch out.

Nik Antropov
    Did I jinx him by purchasing his jersey before the season started? Antropov... he fits into the disappointment category. Though he did finish the season strong to finish with 41 points, this was a disappointing season for Big Nik. Before last season, maybe 40 points would have been the 'norm' for him. That wasn't the case after his 67 point season last year. I, among many others, had huge expectations for him after he came off his best season ever. Antropov is 31 so he is getting up there in age, but I believe he could bounce back for next season. The thing that worried me most was him coming off knee surgery to start the season. Maybe it affected his play, maybe not. We can only hope for a bounce back season in 2011-12.

Alex Burmistrov
    In 74 games, rookie Alexander Burmistrov finished the season with 6 goals and 20 points. He showed signs that he could be a very good two way forward, but obviously it's way too early to make any accurate assumptions. I'm satisfied with his rookie season though, especially considering the minutes he got, and the linemates he was paired with.

Zach Bogosian
    Well how can Bogosian NOT be a disappointment? In his third season he showed no signs of his old form, except for maybe a month when the season was ending. The good news is that he is only 20 years old. That's great news actually. I'm not as worried because of that fact so when he's 23 and still not showing any signs of life, than I'll panic.

Blake Wheeler
    One of my favorite acquisitions in probably Thrashers history was the acquiring of Blake Wheeler. In 23 games with Atlanta, Wheeler had 7 goals and 17 points, and he looked phenominal in both ends in just about every game he played in. The 24 year old is a RFA and look for the Thrashers to get him locked up in the offseason. I expect big things from Wheels.

Ondrej Pavelec
    The story with him was the same with the team in general. Great start awful finish. He's most likely the #1 goalie for the Thrashers going into next season, and the 'future' in net for the Thrashers for beyond, but I'm not real comfortable with him just yet. I don't buy into Pavelec as much as others because I want to see consistency. I'm not a full believer in Pavelec, but I think he can make me one.

----------------------------------------------

I'll continue to post Thrashers updates throughout the offseason, including Thrashers draft coverage.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; April 11, 2011 at 6:05 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Star

Thanks man
    Great work and love the insight into Wheeler. I am hoping for a 30-30 season next year. Just wish he could get some more PP time...
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue